PSN Weekly Deals - 3/4: PSN Awards & Free MotorStorm RC Vita! 3/13 Spring Fever Sale!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
Welcome to the best thread for all of the deals on games, add-ons, and other stuff in the PlayStation Store both on and off of PSN.

If you enjoy the work that I put into this and the other threads I run on this site, feel free to vote for me in the Cheapy Awards' CAG Community Award category.

Index
Current Deals
Alternate Deals
Upcoming Deals (Post #2)
February 2012 PlayStation Plus Offerings (Post #2)
Persistent PlayStation Plus Deals (Post #2)
Frequently Asked Questions (Post #2)

Current Deals (Full Update Here)

Bundles

PS3
Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood - $20.99 - Ends 3/13
Dungeon Hunter: Alliance - $8.99 - Ends 3/13
Fancy Pants Adventures - $4.99
God of War: Origins Collection - $27.99 - Ends 3/13
Hydrophobia: Prophecy - $2.99 - Temporary Sale
Infamous Festival of Blood - $6.99 - Ends 3/13
Jurassic Park: The Game - $19.99 - Permanent Price Drop
Just Cause 2 - $19.99 - Permanent Price Drop
Limbo - $10.49 - Ends 3/13
Resident Evil 4 - $13.99 - Ends 3/13
Resident Evil Code Veronica X - $9.99
Space Ace - $4.99
Street Fighter III: Third Strike Online Edition - $10.49 - Ends 3/13

PSP
Cabela’s African Safari - $9.99 - Permanent Price Drop
Cabela’s Dangerous Hunts Ultimate Challenge - $9.99 - Permanent Price Drop
Cabela’s North American Adventures - $9.99 - Permanent Price Drop
Crash Bandicoot: Mind Over Mutant - $9.99 - Permanent Price Drop
Crash Of The Titans - $9.99 - Permanent Price Drop
Crash Tag Team Racing - $9.99 - Permanent Price Drop
Dissidia 012 [duodecim] Final Fantasy - $20.99 - Ends 3/13
DJMax Portable 3 - $19.99
Gun: Showdown - $9.99 - Permanent Price Drop
Monster Jam: Path Of Destruction - $9.99 - Permanent Price Drop
Rapala Trophies - $9.99 - Permanent Price Drop
Super Monkey Ball Adventure - $9.99
Swat: Target Liberty - $9.99 - Permanent Price Drop

PS1 Classics
Chrono Trigger - $6.99 - Ends 3/13

Minis
Angry Birds - $2.79 - Ends 3/13

Vita
MLB 12: The Show - $34.99 - 2.8 GB
MotorStorm RC Presented By Scion - Free - 646 MB
Unit 13 - $35.99 - 1.2 GB

PlayStation Plus

Deals
Angry Birds - PSP/PS3 - $1.95 - Ends 3/13
Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood - $14.69 - Ends 3/13
Chrono Trigger - PSP/PS3 - $4.89 - Ends 3/13
Dissidia 012 [duodecim] Final Fantasy - PSP - $14.69 - Ends 3/13
Dungeon Hunter: Alliance - $6.29 - Ends 3/13
God of War: Origins Collection - $19.59 - Ends 3/13
Infamous Festival of Blood - $4.89 - Ends 3/13
Killzone 3 Multiplayer - $7.50
Limbo - $7.34 - Ends 3/13
MotorStorm RC - $7.49 - Ends 3/13
Resident Evil 4 - $9.79 - Ends 3/13
Street Fighter III: Third Strike Online Edition - $7.34 - Ends 3/13
Touchdown Fever - PSP/PS3 - $2.39
Worms: Ultimate Mayhem - $11.99

Free Games (Don't Argue About This, Please)
Battle Fantasia
Bermuda Triangle - PSP/PS3
Fatal Inertia
Hamsterball
Inferno Pool
Mahjong Tales: Ancient Wisdom
Orbit - PSP/PS3
Sackboys' Prehistoric Moves
Sega Genesis Bundle - Includes the Six Games Below
Altered Beast
Comix Zone
Golden Axe
Sonic 1
Sonic 2
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Racoonus - 5.2 GB
Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix
Streets of Rage 2
Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket Powered Battle Cars
Um Jammer Lammy - PSP/PS3

Qore
Qore Episode 46 - March 2012

Add-ons
Dungeon Defenders - PlayStation Plus Exclusive DLC - Free

Themes
Leap Year - Dynamic
The House of the Dead III - Dynamic
Start The Party 2 - Dynamic

Asura's Wrath Bundle - $0.99
The House of the Dead III (3)
Jak and Daxter Collection (2)
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite Bundle 4 - $0.99
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite Bundle 3 - $0.99

Alternate Deals (Deals not available in the PS Store)

PlayStation Network Cards
$20 code - GameStop.com - $19.99
$20 code - BestBuy.com - $20.00
$50 code - GameStop.com - $49.99
$50 code - BestBuy.com - $50.00

PS3
Age of Booty - GameStop.com - $4.99
Digger HD - GameStop.com - $4.99
Fat Princess - BestBuy.com - $7.99
Superstars V8 Racing - GameStop.com - $7.49

Minis
Awesome Summer Minis Bundle (A Space Shooter for 2 Bucks, Young Thor, Zombie Tycoon, and Widget Odyssey 1 & 2) - GameStop.com - $4.99

PS1
Crash Bandicoot - GameStop.com - $2.99 - 50% off
Jet Moto - GameStop.com - $2.99 - 50% off

PSP
Aedis Eclipse: Generation of Chaos - GameStop.com - $5.99 - 25% off
Blade Dancer: Lineage of Light - GameStop.com - $5.99 - 25% off
CLADUN: This is an RPG! - GameStop.com - $9.99 - 50% off
Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness - GameStop.com - $9.99 - 33% off
Disgaea 2: Dark Hero Days - GameStop.com - $14.99 - 25% off
Disgaea Infinite - GameStop.com - $7.99 - 47% off
Dragoneer's Aria - GameStop.com - $7.99 - 20% off
Mana Khemia: Student Alliance - GameStop.com - $7.99 - 20% off
Phantom Brave: The Hermuda Triangle - GameStop.com - $9.99 - 50% off
Prinny: Can I Really Be The Hero? - GameStop.com - $7.99 - 20% off
Prinny 2: Dawn of Operation Panties, Dood! - GameStop.com - $9.99 - 66% off
Z.H.P.: Unlosing Ranger vs. Darkdeath Evilman - GameStop.com - $19.99 - 33% off

I'll be filling this thread out a bit more as we go and I'll answer questions whenever I can. Feel free to provide feedback for ways to improve this thread. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Additionally, the minis they put out for free are fun for half an hour or so. I definitely have enjoyed them and they are worth the 30 seconds to download and try them. This is a fun bonus on top of the great sales and free full games.

[quote name='au7oma7ic']And again, you really gotta do your hw...the savings can be much more than 50%. In the last 2 months I was able to grab all of these, Borderlands (DLC as well), Burnout, Hard Corps Uprising, Pxiel Shooter 2, Scott Pilgrim, Shank, Chime for much less than 50% off to keep.[/QUOTE]

I don't recall much of the way of sales for over 50% the couple of months I had plus, at least on substantial games. I do remember that when Borderlands went on sale recently, it was $14.99 for plus members and $19.99 for regular members. Pixel Junk was 50% off. I can't recall of the top of my head what those other games went on sale for. But "much more than 50%?"

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Borderlands Game of the Year - $14.99 - 75% off[/QUOTE]

The percentage off all depends on how you do the math. It may have been 75% off the original MSRP, but Plus membership only granted you an additional 25% discount beyond the discounted price of $19.99 that non-Plus members would have had to pay at that time.

You could also say that the sale was only for 50% off for Plus members as after that sale had ended the price went to $29.99. Nevermind, that was different bundle.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Thrinn']The percentage off all depends on how you do the math. It may have been 75% off the original MSRP, but Plus membership only granted you an additional 25% discount beyond the discounted price of $19.99 that non-Plus members would have had to pay at that time.[/QUOTE]

This. I snagged Scott Pilgrim and Pac-Man while my free month of PS+ was still alive, but because the games were also discounted for non-subscribers, the savings granted by being a Plus member were worth two or three dollars at most. Less since the points themselves were bought at less than face value through a store promotion.

I have to agree with IAtCG on this one. If the discounts are given on games that he isn't going to otherwise purchase at full price, the perceived savings don't approach the entry fee. It becomes an incentive instead to spend more to justify the initial expense.

The way I see it, PS+ is a good deal if you're striving for trophies. Getting free ports of 16-bit games so you can rack up easy trophies in one nostalgic sitting can be worthwhile, but if trophies aren't a draw, then it is what it is.

[quote name='Thrinn']The percentage off all depends on how you do the math. It may have been 75% off the original MSRP, but Plus membership only granted you an additional 25% discount beyond the discounted price of $19.99 that non-Plus members would have had to pay at that time.

You could also say that the sale was only for 50% off for Plus members as after that sale had ended the price went to $29.99.

But wait! Then you could add that 50% off and 25% off together and arrive back at the original 75% off; at which point the universe implodes as a result of my amazing math logic. ;)[/QUOTE]
Borderlands is $30 in the store and the GOTY add-on bundle is $30, so $15 is 75% off of the normal price for the digital GOTY Edition.

If you get the resident evil ps1 games and put them on your psp do you have to be online to play them if you got them free with plus? Or do you keep them until your plus expires and you have to go online again?

You only need to be online to put them on your PSP and on their expiration date to either renew the license if you're still a PS+ member or let you buy the games to keep them.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Borderlands is $30 in the store and the GOTY add-on bundle is $30, so $15 is 75% off of the normal price for the digital GOTY Edition.[/QUOTE]

I apologize, I didn't notice that as being only the DLC, unlike the game/DLC bundle they offered during the sale.

[quote name='spacebooger']When was Borderlands on sale? I have been searching for a cheap copy and might wait to see if it goes on sale again (pending I get PS+).[/QUOTE]

I think it was about a month ago. If you can play it on your computer, someone is selling a copy of the GotY in the Steam Trading thread for around $7.50.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']You can set the analog sticks to take over the digital direction pad functions via the emulation software on you PSP/PS3 on all PSX downloaded titles[/QUOTE]

FYI - all 3 RE PSOne games on sale support the analog mode, RE 1 and 2 are ports of the later released dual analog version from the PSOne (RE3 had analog support right out of the gate).

However not all PSOne games do in fact support the analog sticks (I bought Dino Crisis a few weeks ago, and there never was a version of it that supported the analog sticks, so it's d-pad only).

Anyone know how much Splinter Cell Chaos Theory HD will be? I was going to get the collection, but reviews have ripped the first two remakes to shreds.

[quote name='spacebooger']When was Borderlands on sale? I have been searching for a cheap copy and might wait to see if it goes on sale again (pending I get PS+).[/QUOTE]
Two months ago. Since they created a special bundle just for the sale that disappeared once it was over, the chances of it happening again are slim. There was a similar thing done for Burnout Paradise with all of its DLC bundled in for $30 a long time ago that hasn't been seen since.

[quote name='au7oma7ic']@IAmTheCheapestGamer

You really need to do your homework man. I have only had PS+ for a few months...the two it was free and than the last two, but I've monitored some of the discounts and free games from ps+ for awhile.

The amount of great content that has been free or at a HUGE discount is unreal. The games that come out on sale or cheap are great and arent all shitware like you say....yes, some of it does suck, but there is easily enough content to find which can eventually justify a yearly sub.

And again, you really gotta do your hw...the savings can be much more than 50%. In the last 2 months I was able to grab all of these, Borderlands (DLC as well), Burnout, Hard Corps Uprising, Pxiel Shooter 2, Scott Pilgrim, Shank, Chime for much less than 50% off to keep.[/QUOTE]
Thing is, the majority of the games that have been on PS+ sale haven't been things I'd really want. Now if they put some games I'm on the fence about at 50% or MORE off(Deathspank 2, From Dust, Trine, Trine 2), then I might consider using some of my ample BB/AMZ credit to buy in for the month that they're on sale, but ONLY if they were at a really good percentage off compared to normal PSN members.

But I like the fact that as of now PSN is free and you don't HAVE TO buy PS+. If that changes, then I guess I'll go back to playing offline like I did last gen.

I picked up Shank when it was $5 during the final day or two of my free PS+ month from the WB program. I have yet to finish it. That was the ONLY game in recent memory that has been something I'd play that they put on sale.:cry:

Furthermore I have the DLC voucher for Borderlands from the GOTY copy I picked up a while ago. I kept it while trading in the game itself to BB, so that if I decide to rebuy Borderlands down the line I can get the GOTY content without having to pay $30 for it on PSN.:booty: Although I didn't really like the game, so chances are it'll just sit there collecting dust till I sell/trade it on here or somewhere.

Believe me, I've been keeping track of the items offered 'free' on PS+ and the cost just would not be justified since there wasn't ONE free title I'd spend the time to download since it's all been stuff I've played already(Golden Axe) or wouldn't play to begin with(RE4).

I have yet to see it on sale for us normal PSN members though.:cry: I would gladly 'buy in' for a month or so IF there were like 3-4 of my games I kinda want on sale. But for one title I wouldn't bother.;)

I doubt that regular PSN members are ever going to receive that level of discount, that is part of the appeal of PS+ IMO. With the added benefits of automatic game patches and game save uploads to the cloud, I think that PS+ is getting better and more useful to everyone. I do agree that PS+ does have some room for improvement. For example, I think all PSN items should be at least 10% off all the time for all PS+ members...

Personally I think all PS Store items should be 40% off all the time for EVERYBODY.

The prices are still too ridiculous for some of these items like add-ons for full retail games at 1/4th the price of the game at launch MSRP or 50% of the cost of the vanilla game at launch for the DLC pack(looking at you Borderlands GOTY DLC @ $30).

As for regular PSN members not receiving these kinds of discounts, that's what it took for me to buy the original Deathspank. I picked it up for $7.50 a loooong while back when they had a rare 50% off sale for some stuff.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Personally I think all PS Store items should be 40% off all the time for EVERYBODY.

The prices are still too ridiculous for some of these items like add-ons for full retail games at 1/4th the price of the game at launch MSRP or 50% of the cost of the vanilla game at launch for the DLC pack(looking at you Borderlands GOTY DLC @ $30).

As for regular PSN members not receiving these kinds of discounts, that's what it took for me to buy the original Deathspank. I picked it up for $7.50 a loooong while back when they had a rare 50% off sale for some stuff.[/QUOTE]

Wah, wah, wah, no one gives a shit. You are the type of consumer that companies actively avoid.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']Wah, wah, wah, no one gives a shit. You are the type of consumer that companies actively avoid.[/QUOTE]
Am I personally costing you money by actually living up to the first two letters of CAG and being a real cheap ass? No? Then why get so snippy about it? It's always been about getting the most for the least amount of money for me. But if others are fine with 10-20% off then so be it.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Am I personally costing you money by actually living up to the first two letters of CAG and being a real cheap ass? No? Then why get so snippy about it? It's always been about getting the most for the least amount of money for me. But if others are fine with 10-20% off then so be it.[/QUOTE]

Dont bother entertaining the dumbass

i agree alot of these things should be about 40% off the further along time goes. i just recently got into oblivion and the dlc is still holding strong at 29 rotf wtf?

[quote name='renique46']Dont bother entertaining the dumbass

i agree alot of these things should be about 40% off the further along time goes. i just recently got into oblivion and the dlc is still holding strong at 29 rotf wtf?[/QUOTE]
FYI: Assuming you can find it at Kmart, the :ps3:GOTY edition is $19.97 on clearance there. One of my closer by Kmarts HAD it in stock during the summer but it has since gone MIA.

You might also want to check out Amazon's Warehouse Deals site as they seem to be sporadically getting in copies of the Oblivion fifth anniversary edition, which I believe has the GOTY edition disc in the package.;)

[quote name='n64ra']any point in getting RE2 or RE3 if I have them on dreamcast?[/QUOTE]

Not unless you would prefer to play the games with the PS controller instead of the DC controller. I'm guessing the DC versions actually have better graphics than the PSOne graphics.

I enjoyed these old psone classics when they came out... but I dont understand the fascination people have with REBUYING these games and playing them on a new system with the same old graphics and gameplay. I understand if it happened to be your favorite game when you were growing up and you have since gotten rid of the old system and game, but otherwise it seems stupid to me. How about update the graphics, at the least? What about adding additional game features and modes? What about adding a scoring system and online gameplay/ranking? Lord have mercy

[quote name='Bong']I enjoyed these old psone classics when they came out... but I dont understand the fascination people have with REBUYING these games and playing them on a new system with the same old graphics and gameplay. I understand if it happened to be your favorite game when you were growing up and you have since gotten rid of the old system and game, but otherwise it seems stupid to me. How about update the graphics, at the least? What about adding additional game features and modes? What about adding a scoring system and online gameplay/ranking? Lord have mercy[/QUOTE]
A lot of people haven't played those games or enjoyed them enough to want to play them again on their new systems. Since these are straight rips of the PS1 versions, the costs to the publisher are very low compared to remaking them for PSN/XBLA, so they're far more likely to make back the money than most other things they could be doing instead. The same goes for the HD collections and re-releases. Just because you don't see the value in the PS1 Classics, it doesn't mean it's the same for everybody else.

[quote name='Bong']I enjoyed these old psone classics when they came out... but I dont understand the fascination people have with REBUYING these games and playing them on a new system with the same old graphics and gameplay. I understand if it happened to be your favorite game when you were growing up and you have since gotten rid of the old system and game, but otherwise it seems stupid to me. How about update the graphics, at the least? What about adding additional game features and modes? What about adding a scoring system and online gameplay/ranking? Lord have mercy[/QUOTE]

Either 1. I don't have the game anymore and/or 2. I never played the game. Most of the PS1 classics are classics for a reason. Graphics/gameplay don't need to be updated.

[quote name='theking20']hmmmmmmmm might have to get resident evil 2, i never played it and i have played every other one, time to finally play it B^)[/QUOTE]

Totally worth picking up. The two stories are told well and since you have played the others you should enjoy this one.

[quote name='n64ra']any point in getting RE2 or RE3 if I have them on dreamcast?[/QUOTE]

I wass less than 10 years old when those games came out, i barely played them on m y PSone, I played 'em all, but it was a different experience than now what im 19 years old. Also they are classics, doesnt matter if graphics suck or not.

[quote name='theking20']hmmmmmmmm might have to get resident evil 2, i never played it and i have played every other one, time to finally play it B^)[/QUOTE]

RE2 is the only game in my entire life that I have stopped playing because the story was just too stupid. FYI.

[quote name='rust in peace']Is there anyway to buy the classic RE games as a psn+ member? I'd like to keep them.[/QUOTE]

Nope, only option is to make a second account.

[quote name='rust in peace']Is there anyway to buy the classic RE games as a psn+ member? I'd like to keep them.[/QUOTE]

I believe if your PSN+ account expires, it "should" let you purchase them if you want access to them. However, I'm assuming you probably want the discount.

[quote name='doubledown']I believe if your PSN+ account expires, it "should" let you purchase them if you want access to them. However, I'm assuming you probably want the discount.[/QUOTE]
Yeah I wanted the discount. Guess I'll have to wait until they're on sale again.

[quote name='rust in peace']Yeah I wanted the discount. Guess I'll have to wait until they're on sale again.[/QUOTE]

Why not just create another PSN account under a different PS3 user? Essentially you'll be creating a gamesharing account that you can use on your Plus account

[quote name='ssjmichael']Why not just create another PSN account under a different PS3 user? Essentially you'll be creating a gamesharing account that you can use on your Plus account[/QUOTE]
I'll try this. I had a 2nd account I made a while ago but the games were downloading on it already. I hope it works.

[quote name='smallsharkbigbite']Your PSN+ games are good until the date your subscription ends. Thus unless a new subscription is activated, you will not be able to access the existing games on your harddrive. A non-PSN+ owner will always be able to access the games on the harddrive.

Sure a PS3 may be rendered non-functional some day, which is why you should back up your harddrive (assuming there is no PSN service and you can't redownload the game).

Another thing I find interesting is we'll assume PSN+ will be around indefinately and all the games will all transfer to future systems. The service will eventually focus on PS4, PS5 ect, and new games will not release for PS3. If you do not wish to upgrade to the next PSx system, you will still have to buy the service for your PS3 just to keep accessing your prior games. This may involve paying more than $50/yr, since it's likely the service will have inflation and prices will continue to increase in the future.

I don't get the whole, who cares if I can't access it in the future, since I've got my monies worth. True there are a bunch of games that aren't good enough to warrant a purchase (or future playthru) that I find out after I purchase them. But there are a bunch of NES games that are >25 years old that I still play today. Digital in general is sketchy whether it will be around that long, but I'd like to think I still have the possibility of playing my current PSN games in 25 years without paying $1,250 (current 50/yr at 25 years). Also, while a bunch of games are given free each month, I find they aren't usually the ones I would purchase. I spend much less than $50 a year on downloadable content and I download what I want. So I'm not worried about a bunch of free content that I could care less about.[/QUOTE]

I don't see why a hard drive makes that big of a difference. Once the PS3 goes, that's it. You can't restore a back up to a different PS3 and you can't put the hard drive in a new PS3 without reformatting. You having your games is entirely dependent on how long that PS3 lasts, unless you're continuously lucky enough to able to predict when your PS3 will die and transfer to a new PS3 beforehand. Having had two PS3s break, one of which caused me to lose all my data, I'm not going to bank on my console lasting forever. Plus, you're only looking at the PSN game side. Everything is instantly lost on the online gameplay side. There's a lot of games I own that would see their value drop significantly without PSN.

Fact is, when you buy something from PSN or something that utilizes it, or subscribe to Plus, you're relying on Sony to keep the service running. It's absurd to dwell on the problem of "the end" for PS+ as if the issue is unique to that service, when the same issue applies to PSN as a whole.

And why assume the worst as it applies to the service ending or transitioning to PS4? You're just assuming when Sony is finished with PS+ completely, or just for PS3, that they will just say "too bad, no more access" or force you to pay $50 a year and get nothing new when they could just as easily remove the content expiration date to allow people to use the content indefinitely.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']The Fat Princess Anniversary Bundle is available for those that missed it in the PS Store, which includes the game, DLC, a dynamic theme, and avatars for $15:

http://www.amazon.com/Princess-Anniversary-Bundle-Online-Game/dp/B005GAVALW/[/QUOTE]

Sweet. Now to wait for a good price drop. I've been interested in the game since I played the demo forever ago but I just couldn't pull the trigger. Even for the $7.99 price it's been selling for at most places. Hoping for something in the neighborhood of $7.50 for the bundle.

True, but for the collectors, sometimes it's easier and more convient to have the games ready to load on the system. Also, at least with my 20gb, it really likes to stratch the living fuck out of my classic black discs

Any gripes I have with regards to the lack of additions to PSOne classics are largely erased by their low price. I mean, at $6, I don't need the world. Plus the compatibility with PSP and Vita is very handy.

Yes with a sub-account, not a second master account, you can make purchases using funds from your master account's wallet, while not being logged as a plus user. So you would be able to purchase the games instead of getting the free ones which would expire once your plus runs out.

[quote name='beerrun']Yes with a sub-account, not a second master account, you can make purchases using funds from your master account's wallet, while not being logged as a plus user. So you would be able to purchase the games instead of getting the free ones which would expire once your plus runs out.[/QUOTE]
Thanks to everybody who helped me out. I got them last night making a sub account.

[quote name='Chrono Gear']Sweet. Now to wait for a good price drop. I've been interested in the game since I played the demo forever ago but I just couldn't pull the trigger. Even for the $7.99 price it's been selling for at most places. Hoping for something in the neighborhood of $7.50 for the bundle.[/QUOTE]
If it's like the other limited time bundles that have appeared on Amazon, what codes they have is probably all they'll ever have.

Got Resident Evil 2 and 3. I was debating just doing PS+, but I figured I would only do it for 1-3 months so I might as well just buy them. I have RE4 on GC and Wii, so I don't think I need the HD one anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back