PSN Weekly Deals - 4/10: Rockstar Sale! $20 Owlboy, $14 Aegis Defenders, $10 Thimbleweed Park, & More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
Index

Current Deals - Store Updates Every Tuesday, Usually By 8 AM PT/11 AM ET
Visit The Web PS Store

Key:
N - New This Week
Ending Soon
$XX.XX - Price for All PSN Members
$XX.XX - Price for PS+ Members

April’s PS+ Games - Ends 5/1/18

:ps4:  :ps3:  :vita: 99Vidas

:ps4:  :ps3: In Space we Brawl

:ps4: Mad Max

:ps4:  :ps3:  :vita: Q*Bert Rebooted

:ps3: Toy Home

PSVR  :ps4: TrackMania Turbo

Pre-orders - Out at 12 AM ET/9 PM PT

:ps4: Dragon's Crown Pro - $44.99 - 10% Off - Pre-order ends 12/31

:ps4: Guns of Icarus Alliance: PS4 Edition - $11.24 - 25% Off - Pre-order ends 5/1

:ps4: The Swords of Ditto - $17.99 - 10% Off - $15.99 - 20% Off - Pre-order ends 12/31/18

:ps4: To Leave - $15.99 - 20% Off - Pre-order ends 4/24

:ps4: Trailblazers - $23.99 - 20% Off - Pre-order ends 5/8

:ps4: We Happy Few - $50.99 - 15% Off - Pre-order ends 12/31
:ps4: We Happy Few Digital Deluxe - $67.99 - 15% Off - Pre-order ends 12/31

Cross Buy

:ps4:  :ps3:  :vita: Blue-Collar Astronaut - $4.99 - 50% Off - $1.99 - 80% Off - Ends 5/29

:ps4:  :vita:  Rogue Aces - $10.39 - 20% Off - Ends 4/25

:ps4:  :ps3:  :vita: Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove - $19.99 - 20% Off - Ends 4/18

PS4 - [customspoiler="PSVR Note"]PSVR :ps4: means the game is playable with or without PSVR.[/customspoiler]

Aegis Defenders - $13.99 - 30% Off - Ends 4/24 N

AeternoBlade - $7.49 - 50% Off - Ends 4/30

Anima: Game of Memories - $11.99 - 40% Off - Ends 4/25

Anoxemia - $4.79 - 40% Off - $3.99 - 50% Off - Ends 4/25

Castles - $2.99 - 40% Off - $2.49 - 50% Off - Ends 4/25

Crazy Strike Bowling EX - $6.49 - 50% Off - Ends 4/30

Dead Synchronicity: Tomorrow Comes Today - $8.99 - 55% Off - $6.79 - 66% Off - Ends 4/25

Demon's Crystals - $2.99 - 40% Off - $2.49 - 50% Off - Ends 4/25

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition - $19.99 - 50% Off - Ends 4/24

Ginger: Beyond the Crystal - $8.99 - 55% Off - $6.79 - 66% Off - Ends 4/25

Heart & Slash - $8.99 - 55% Off - $6.79 - 66% Off - Ends 4/25

Injustice 2 - $23.99 - 40% Off - Ends 4/24

Injustice 2 Legendary Edition - $47.99 - 40% Off - Ends 4/24

Nightmare Boy - $10.39 - 20% Off - Ends 4/25

Streets of Red: Devil's Dare Deluxe - $7.19 - 20% Off - Ends 4/26

PSVR Time Carnage - $15.99 - 20% Off - Ends 4/24

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands Deluxe Edition - $27.99 - 60% Off - Ends 4/24

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands Gold Edition - $32.99 - 60% Off - Ends 4/24

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands Standard Edition - $23.99 - 60% Off - Ends 4/24

Vostok Inc - $8.99 - 40% Off - $7.49 - 50% Off - Ends 4/25

Wanderjahr - $4.99 - 50% Off - Ends 4/30

Zenith - $8.99 - 55% Off - Ends 4/25

PS3

Wicked Monsters Blast! HD - $4.99 - 50% Off - Ends 4/30 N

PS2 Classics - PS3 Only

N/A

Vita PS TV Compatibility

AeternoBlade - $7.49 - 50% Off - Ends 4/30 N

Wanderjahr - $4.99 - 50% Off - Ends 4/30 N

PSP - Vita and PS TV Compatibility

N/A

PS1 Classics - PS3/PSP Compatible - Vita and PS TV Compatibility

N/A

Minis - PS3/PSP Compatible - Vita and PS TV Compatibility
N/A

PS4 Add-ons

Constructor

Crossout

Horizon Zero Dawn

Orcs Must Die! Unchained

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands

Warframe

PS3 Add-ons

N/A

Vita Add-ons

N/A

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Feel free to provide feedback for ways to improve this thread. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Spend $100, get $15 coming next week.

Starts at 12:01 am PT on 27th so covers outgoing week of sales and new week.......
That's fantastic. I'm still holding out for a 20% off code before I make my week's ill-advised purchases so this works out nicely.

By the way, if anyone has one of those PS Pro bundle codes, they expire on 2/28/18. PM me and I'll buy it off you, thanks.

FFXV is amazing.  Like, I absolutely love it.   Combat seemed too action based at first, but once you know what you're doing,there is a ton of tactical opportunity if you use wait mode.   World is giant and beautiful.   Normally, I'm not really into the 'drama' part of jrpgs, but here, it's actually really cool.  Each of the four guys has a believable personality, there are solid background/personality things baked in... like one guy is the cook, and will come up with new ideas as you find new ingredients.   In perhaps the best 'goofy' idea that actually works, another guy is a photographer, so each time you camp you get to see 10+ photos he snapped [he gets better and better with practice, too]... it's a cool way to relive each day, automatic screenshots of cool scenery or monsters or npcs, etc, plus just random bonding moments that weren't actually 'shown' [ie, group photo in front of a statue, or something].

Like, it just -nailed- party based rpging.   The only other one I ever mildly liked was DA: Origins, where they had some random chatter that wasn't too annoying.  Here, though, it just blends together really well.

There's a few minor annoyances, mostly with some bad menu systems... for example, fast travel can be mildly annoying, sometimes you need to first fast travel to your car, then fast travel to a place.  I understand why they added the extra step, but it's still annoying.

Ground travel exploration is fun - chocobos are great.   There's stuff to find - enough that if you look in that corner, you'll probably be rewarded, but not so much that you're constantly looking for stuff.   Important stuff gets marked on the map if you get near, or, even better, will get marked on your map by certain npcs as you do more hunts.

This has quickly become my favorite modern jrpg ever.  I can't really weigh it against DQVIII, Skies of Arcadia, and Chrono Trigger since they're different eras, but it's up there with them [though it has a more serious tone, obviously].

Highly recommended.   I've been roaming around for like 25 hours having an absolute blast [love fishing! and I've never liked fishing in a game before] and mostly doing sidequests.  Sidequests are, honestly, a bit blah [find frogs! kill stuff!... nothing deep, sadly], but the world you discover doing them is rich enough that the quests themselves don't matter as much to me.

Blech, just got hit by this email in PA:

Oh well.
Find an addy in Oregon & put as billing address when you buy something through PSN. You can swap it back & forth, but I wouldn't do it too often, else you may draw attention to yourself. This is if you don't want to pay taxes on PSN, of course.

FFXV is amazing....
Sidequests are, honestly, a bit blah [find frogs! kill stuff!... nothing deep, sadly], but the world you discover doing them is rich enough that the quests themselves don't matter as much to me.
Wow, I feel quite the opposite. Rather let down by it. I played about 40 hours just to get to the 1st chocobo area, as I always do absolutely everything in FF games. This one seems way too easy as long as you don't fight enemies 30+ levels above you. I played on wait mode also, but im struggling to force myself back into it. The music is grading on me, the banter annoying, the story unbelievable. I love the graphics, tho. I bought the version from best buy with the beanie & season pass so there's a ton of game left, and ive taken a 5 month break from it, but tried to play it the other day & ended up playing something else a few hours into it. I really want to like it, but I'm struggling. Glad you like it, though.

I didn't care for FF15. The first half of the game was definitely better, and the side quests had a mild monster hunter feeling to them. But the combat is too weird and easy (just hold Circle basically) and the story and gameplay get a lot worse in the second half I thought.

Oooh! A Final Fantasy discussion!

I loved FF15.  I put in 200 hours worth just walking around killing things and bonding with my bros.  The game got better as it went on because the relationships between the characters became fuller over time.  IMO, there was only one bad part of the game (Chapter 13 and that's because the game mechanics changed).  But come on, fishing great! taking pictures great! celebrating after winning the bet in the coliseum great! finding new recipes great! even just taking the wheel and driving and seeing some dude whose car broke down great!

I like pure turn based games but at least the wait mode gave me some control over what I was doing.  The combat was a little easy at times but that's okay.  It's okay to have fun and not die because it turns out the mid level boss only responds to one specific spell that you don't have equipped.

Oooh! A Final Fantasy discussion!

I loved FF15. I put in 200 hours worth just walking around killing things and bonding with my bros. The game got better as it went on because the relationships between the characters became fuller over time. IMO, there was only one bad part of the game (Chapter 13 and that's because the game mechanics changed). But come on, fishing great! taking pictures great! celebrating after winning the bet in the coliseum great! finding new recipes great! even just taking the wheel and driving and seeing some dude whose car broke down great!

I like pure turn based games but at least the wait mode gave me some control over what I was doing. The combat was a little easy at times but that's okay. It's okay to have fun and not die because it turns out the mid level boss only responds to one specific spell that you don't have equipped.
What you said is what I believe they set out to do. It’s why the game starts by stating it was made for new gamers and fans alike or something along those lines. I found it greatly accessible and fun. I wanted to sink a lot of time into it as opposed to feeling like I had no choice but to do that in order to see the end. I’ve bought 2 season passes in all my time gaming and that was one of them.

I feel FF VIII gets panned heavily sometimes for not good reasons. The junction system forces grinding as well as the guardian force system. Maybe a grind for better cards too, but that is fun. I still thought the story was alright and it was fun enough. Not great for sure but better than some like FF2 and possibly even FF1 (a bit too simple for me nowadays).

Almost everything in FFVIII was insanely weak compared to 3-4 Limit Breaks though. There was 0 incentive to use magic or GFs. Selphie can deal infinite damage, Zell can deal 600k+, and Squall can deal like 250k. Then fourth place can do like... 20k?

True, but it wasn't like that all game. You needed Aura to get the insanely fast limit breaks. The end game was more grinding and not so great story IMHO, but the rest of the game with the challenge being alright was good fun and challenging. You make it sound like the whole game is limit break, limit break, limit break. The grind at the end of drawing magic was torture though. Not a fun end game at all.

Wow, I feel quite the opposite. Rather let down by it. I played about 40 hours just to get to the 1st chocobo area, as I always do absolutely everything in FF games. This one seems way too easy as long as you don't fight enemies 30+ levels above you. I played on wait mode also, but im struggling to force myself back into it. The music is grading on me, the banter annoying, the story unbelievable. I love the graphics, tho. I bought the version from best buy with the beanie & season pass so there's a ton of game left, and ive taken a 5 month break from it, but tried to play it the other day & ended up playing something else a few hours into it. I really want to like it, but I'm struggling. Glad you like it, though.
40 hours to get a chocobo would burn you out, though. I probably took 15 hours to do it, and THAT was slow. You can get to the chocobos super fast if you want to [a couple hours, probably], and once you have chocobos general exploration is far more fun. Like, you spent 40 hours walking and sprinting. Yuck! Chocobo is so much faster, than once you have them, you can do all the rest of the exploration in half the time.

I tend to do everything too - I'm on chap 3, and am like level 50, already got the trophy for 40 quests [probably at 50], and have barely touched the story.

The story makes more sense that xiii in my opinion. I'm okay with the music - and i love that you can buy albums from the other, earlier games, and switch them on.

I didn't care for FF15. The first half of the game was definitely better, and the side quests had a mild monster hunter feeling to them. But the combat is too weird and easy (just hold Circle basically) and the story and gameplay get a lot worse in the second half I thought.
You do combat -way- different than me. I almost never hold circle. I am warping around the field, doing blindside strikes, and using techniques on a regular basis. I almost never block, and almost never 'hold circle' unless they're knocked down.

It's interesting that I generally agree with you on games and have found most of your recommendations to be spot on for my tastes but we vary so much on FFXV. It does seem to be an extremely polarizing game though.
I didn't expect to like it as much as I do. It's just... fun. I don't have much vested in the FF world, though... I've played some, but they have never been my favorites so I don't compare them to previous FFs, etc. Like, I go in with no expectations and no baggage at all... heck, my favorite FF before this is the well hated FFXIII [story was nonsensical, but I could love on that evolved meta-turn based combat system all day].

True, but it wasn't like that all game. You needed Aura to get the insanely fast limit breaks. The end game was more grinding and not so great story IMHO, but the rest of the game with the challenge being alright was good fun and challenging. You make it sound like the whole game is limit break, limit break, limit break. The grind at the end of drawing magic was torture though. Not a fun end game at all.
Yea, that's true, but you could also play Triple Triad and refine a ton of stuff without drawing. And you can typically use high magic or spirit (I forget which) to draw, so you're always drawing 9 instead of 1. So it ends up significantly faster.

And it's really only the first disc that had a good story. I'm in the camp that thinks it makes more sense if Then it actually kinda makes sense.

The NBA game is fantastic and a steal at that price assuming you enjoy basketball to even a small degree.
Seconded. I dont normally play the 'create a character' modes in sports games, but I really enjoy Live's "The One" mode. I think it controls well, looks good, and is just 'arcade-y' enough to more fun than sim, while keeping a challenge. I'm having more fun playing it than Madden as as someone who *vastly* prefers the NFL to the NBA, that's saying something.

I'm starting to get tempted on the basketball game too. I love watching and playing basketball but I hate playing video game basketball nowadays.

Live is worth it at 4 bucks. Unlike 2k you don't need money to upgrade your guy and the career mode is pretty fun and the online team play if you have a full team can be fun as well.

I got a better question, would Live be worth it at 30 bucks if it wasn't on sale? Saying a game is worth 4 bucks isn't a recommendation to me.

It's also $12 for me since I don't have Plus anymore.

I got a better question, would Live be worth it at 30 bucks if it wasn't on sale? Saying a game is worth 4 bucks isn't a recommendation to me.

It's also $12 for me since I don't have Plus anymore.
I don't think any sports game is worth $30 after the all-star break, but having both games since launch I would say Live is worth it more than 2K if you want to play career mode or a season. 2K has classic teams and mods for NCAA teams that are pretty sweet that gives it an edge in those areas only.

Yea, that's true, but you could also play Triple Triad and refine a ton of stuff without drawing. And you can typically use high magic or spirit (I forget which) to draw, so you're always drawing 9 instead of 1. So it ends up significantly faster.

And it's really only the first disc that had a good story. I'm in the camp that thinks it makes more sense if Then it actually kinda makes sense.
I agree with your take. I loved triple triad and made it a point to hunt down and synthesize materials to get level 3 tier weapons on the first disc. Junction/draw system was just mindless grind to me. I really liked how it started, but as the discs went on, it just got worse. It got too convulated for it's own good by the end...that whole orphanage nonsense made me want to roll my eyes through the back of my head. That Squall theory makes a lot more sense, and really lends a great tragic angle to the story. It's not the worst FF I've played, I'd probably rank it in the middle tier.

I tend to do everything too - I'm on chap 3, and am like level 50, already got the trophy for 40 quests [probably at 50], and have barely touched the story.
Interesting note about that is there is way more content than the trophies even represent. There are a lot of post-game dungeons with various gimmicks with quests tied to them that are easy to miss if you just follow your progress along with trophies. I did every quest in the game and I got the last trophy related to them long before I even got into the weird/cool stuff.

Oh also the thing I always mention when someone is getting into FF15 is don't forget your other attacks with each weapon. The game does a poor (basically non-existent) job of explaining it but each weapon has different actions based on what direction you are holding the analog stick in when you attack. A lot of the attacks are worthless but I think the most practical (and my personal favorite to play) is with daggers. The forward input lets you skip the lengthy finisher on your combo and essentially infinitely loop the main part, backwards lets you move back while still attacking (and when you get far enough away you can do a special drop kick warp strike), and by far the most useful is the left/right action that lets you quickly strafe around your lock-on target and gives hyper armor during the animation. You also get a special attack by releasing the circle button and tapping it again as Noctis flips his hand backwards right when the weapon is disappearing. Most weapons just let you skip to the last part of their normal combo but with Greatswords you do a massive whirlwind attack. Once you're good at it you can do silly stuff like one shotting every soldier that comes out of those imperial drop ships before they even attack.

Anyway, game had problems but I still really liked it as well despite that stuff. If you get around to any of the DLC Comrades is really fun if you don't mind a Monster Hunter/PSO style gameplay loop. There is no wait mode but they redesigned every moveset of every weapon and gave a wider breadth of customization options while adding in more traditional magic. I spent almost as much time with Comrades as I did the base game and it's getting a free content update next month so I imagine that time might actually pass the main story.

Ok. NBA is a buy. Any of the FPS? I've never played any of the Battlefield's before. Dragon Age? Dare I say it, Battlefront II?
I’ll throw out my two cents here and say both DA:I and BF2 are definitely worth the price. Feel free to pm me if you’d like more in-depth reviews.

I'm still semi tempted to go digital with DA:I and get the GOTY version. I have the game on disc but I don't own any of the DLC. I'm also not sure when I'd get around to playing it so I'm sorta undecided. Luckily as Frisky pointed out, that EA sale lasts until next week. Should be enough time to make up my mind.

I'm still kicking myself for not just buying the DLC bundle that was on sale by itself a couple months back for $6.

Well darn. I was hoping it got better, because it has not grabbed my undying attention yet, though I wasnt too far in (chapter 4 maybe? So 1/3 of the way through, chapter wise, but I played the carnivals a lot, too). I like the world, but that's about it.

As you mentioned, the combat is too easy & it has the unlimited anytime dodge move (L1 on layout B, I believe), so it's basically been impossible to lose. I came across a Coerl over 20 levels higher...yawn. I came across a huge mech in the plains that was like 50+ levels higher, & the only reason I didn't heat it was because I couldn't damage it. I spent about 3 hours (didn't realize it had been that long) just healing & building up my technique levels when I realized he couldn't finish me off. It could kill a couple of my guys, but I had so many healing items & the regroup technique, that I just eventually gave up when i saw hiw little damage I had done to it's limbs, which I tore up the entire time.

In the past, the strategic turn based gameplay was the redeeming quality that kept me returning when I got bored with any of the FF games, which was a lot because I always tried for 100% of gear, boss fights, etc, so lots of grinding. Speaking of grinding...
Either FF 1 or 3 conditioned me for that when I was a wee lad. I remember GRINDING until I found the adamantite. A tiny square room that served no other purpose was home to a rare monster, of which you had a 1 in 255 chance of fighting. The battles were random, so I walked in a circle for days, going on weeks & weeks hoping to fight this rare enemy (& beat it. I think they ran or were really strong, I can't recall that part). I ran from enemies that weren't rare for a few days. I tried fighting the enemies that weren't rare for a few days, & everything in between (was there anything in between?) until I finally found a rare pink fluff (or something like that). Once you finally fought & beat that rare enemy, you only had a 1 in 255 chance of that material dropping, so the joy of finding one & beating it was quickly crushed. Once you got that material, you could only use it to fashion 1 weapon or 1 armor. You had to get it again if you wanted all your gear decked out.

40 hours to get a chocobo would burn you out, though. I probably took 15 hours to do it, and THAT was slow. You can get to the chocobos super fast if you want to [a couple hours, probably], and once you have chocobos general exploration is far more fun. Like, you spent 40 hours walking and sprinting. Yuck! Chocobo is so much faster, than once you have them, you can do all the rest of the exploration in half the time.

The story makes more sense that xiii in my opinion. I'm okay with the music - and i love that you can buy albums from the other, earlier games, and switch them on.
I do that with every FF, though is the thing. GTA, FF are games where I just have to look at every book on the shelf of every home, see what the environment reacts to, etc. I just really go through & appreciate every ounce of effort the artists & devs put into those franchises. Im anal about every franchise I love in that way (I have to see how each weapon interacts with each environment type in Halo games & other FPS's I play. I have to see if water splashes uo when shooting into puddles, lakes, etc.

Also, about 10 hours was spent in the carnivals, so i got every upgrade item that people say were hard to find without looking online. My issue is more that I do this with every FF, but this one just makes me geel like I'm forcing myself to play it, which means I can't be having fun with it. This is a new feeling for me in regards to Final Fantasy. It sucks, because it has all these DLC chapters, also, which I would have loved FFX to have.

It's there for me to enjoy with open arms, but I feel preoccupied when i play it...like I just can't care about it. I wish the gameplay were closer to traditional FF games, cuz I thibk that's what causing me to dissociate it with the FF games I have loved so much in the past. It's not too far from XIII gameplay (in a way), but for whatever reason, I'll be playing other games hoping that one day I can come back to it and all of these negative feelings will be gone, which will allow me to enjoy it.

Is there a square Enix sale that I didn’t notice going on? Where did all this final fantasy talk come from?

Also, about 10 hours was spent in the carnivals, so i got every upgrade item that people say were hard to find without looking online. My issue is more that I do this with every FF, but this one just makes me geel like I'm forcing myself to play it, which means I can't be having fun with it. This is a new feeling for me in regards to Final Fantasy. It sucks, because it has all these DLC chapters, also, which I would have loved FFX to have.
i'm confused... I have chocobos and i haven't gotten to the carnivals yet [still]. You get chocobos as soon as you enter chap 3 if you want. right near the first outpost... prompto even says he wants to go there first.

Found a great deal on a base VR system. Going to pick it up this week. What are some of the best games to pick up? And which of those require the move controller

i'm confused... I have chocobos and i haven't gotten to the carnivals yet [still]. You get chocobos as soon as you enter chap 3 if you want. right near the first outpost... prompto even says he wants to go there first.
The Carnivals are time limited optional areas, maybe accessible from the Main Menu underl Special or something but whatever prize you win can be carried over to the main game. There's a Moogle/Chocobo one and an Assassin's Creed one.

Found a great deal on a base VR system. Going to pick it up this week. What are some of the best games to pick up? And which of those require the move controller
You may want to check out the VR game deals thread for some better info. there is a lot of great discussions about games along with pricing. This week (ends this morning) has some really great deals and its 5x Sony rewards with the VR PS+ page on the store.

Just to clarify, we can now spend towards the $15 back and it will count even on the deals expiring today?  I'm on the fence on a lot of these weekly deals and the spend $100 will push me over the edge I guess.

I remember when it was spend $50 get $10 back, we had a whole month, and it could be stacked(spend $100 get $20, spend $150 get $30, etc). Those were the days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back