PSN Weekly Deals - 9/1: Atlus Sale, PS+ Specials, & 6 New PS+ Games! PWYW Foul Play on PS4!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
Welcome to the best thread for deals on games, add-ons, and other stuff in the PlayStation Store on PSN.

Index

Current Deals (Full Update Here) - Store Updates Every Tuesday, Usually By 2 PM PT/5 PM ET
Visit The Web PS Store

Key:
N - New This Week
X - Expires With Next Update
P - Permanent Price Drop
$XX.XX - Price for All PSN Members
$XX.XX - Price for PS+ Members

September's PS+ Games

:ps4: Driveclub PlayStation Plus Edition

:ps4: Grow Home

:vita: La-Mulana EX

:ps3: LittleBigPlanet Sackboy's Prehistoric Moves - Requires Move

:ps4:  :vita: Super Time Force Ultra

:ps4:  :ps3: Teslagrad

:ps3: Twisted Metal

:ps4:  :vita: Xeodrifter

PlayStation Heroes

:ps4: Foul Play - $2.00 to $100.00 [customspoiler='Fine Print'] :ps4: Foul Play is a part of the PlayStation Heroes program, which means that you can pay your choice among a variety of price points for an item that is usually a theme for entries into a contest to win some prize with most of the money going to a charity. There are no details at the moment for what the prize for buying Foul Play offers, so I'll post that whenever it's announced.

Edit: From the PlayStation Heroes app on PS4, the Foul Play promotion is for a trip to PlayStation Experience in December. Once you purchase the game, you're supposed to go here to register for the actual contest, though you should wait until the page is updated for the PlayStation Experience promotion instead of whatever it's on at the moment.[/customspoiler]

Pre-orders - Out at 12 AM ET/9 PM PT unless otherwise noted
:ps4: Destiny: The Taken King Collector's Edition - $79.99 - 20% Off Unbundled Items - Out 9/15 [customspoiler="Pre-Order Bonus"]Destiny and the first two expansions for immediate download/play plus a theme. Early Access Weapons Pack with a Vanguard-themed Auto Rifle, Pulse Rifle, and Side Arm and 3 Exotic Class Items with XP Bonuses, 3 Class-Specific Emotes, and 3 Armor Shaders when it launches.[/customspoiler]
:ps3: Destiny: The Taken King Collector's Edition - $79.99 - 20% Off Unbundled Items - Out 9/15 [customspoiler="Pre-Order Bonus"]Destiny and the first two expansions for immediate download/play plus a theme. Early Access Weapons Pack with a Vanguard-themed Auto Rifle, Pulse Rifle, and Side Arm and 3 Exotic Class Items with XP Bonuses, 3 Class-Specific Emotes, and 3 Armor Shaders when it launches.[/customspoiler]
:ps4: Sword Coast Legends - $34.79 - 13% Off - Out Fall 2016 [customspoiler="Pre-Order Bonus"]170 Platinum for Warframe[/customspoiler]

:ps3: Yakuza 5 - $33.99 - 15% Off - Out Fall 2015 [customspoiler="Pre-Order Bonus"]PS3 Static Theme[/customspoiler]

Cross Buy

:ps4:  :ps3:  :vita: Back to Bed Game & Dynamic Theme Bundle - $14.99 - 25% Off X

:ps4: :ps3: :vita: Nova-111 - $11.99 - 20% Off X

:ps4:  :vita: PixelJunk Shooter Ultimate - $11.99 - 20% Off
:ps4:  :ps3:  :vita: Q*Bert Rebooted - $6.99 - 30% Off
:ps4: :ps3: :vita: Q*bert: Rebooted/Pixel Game and Theme Bundle - $8.99 - 25% Off

:ps4:  :ps3:  :vita: The Stealth Inc 1 & 2 Ultimate-est Edition - $12.99 - 24% Off NP

:ps4:  :ps3:  :vita: Stealth Inc 2: A Game of Clones - $9.99 - 33% Off NP
:ps4:  :ps3:  :vita: Titan Attacks! - $3.49 - 75% Off X

:ps4:  :vita: Velocibox - $9.99 - 20% Off
:ps4:  :vita: Whispering Willows - $9.99 - 20% Off
:ps4:  :vita: Whispering Willows Game and PS4 Theme Bundle - $9.99 - 20% Off

PS4

Armello - $13.99 - 30% Off NX

Attacking Zegeta - $5.00 - 50% Off

BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma Extend - $39.99 - 20% Off NX

Daylight - $7.50 - 50% Off NX

Disney Infinity 3.0 Edition - $19.99 - 33% Off N

Driveclub - $24.99 - 38% Off

God of War III Remastered - $35.99 - 10% Off NX

J-Stars Victory VS+ - $41.99 - 30% Off NX
The Last Tinker: City of Colors Game and Theme Bundle - $10.19 - 40% Off
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor - $29.99 - 40% Off NP
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Game of the Year Edition - $39.99 - 20% Off NP
Wolfenstein: The Old Blood - $10.00 - 50% Off NX
Yorbie - $4.99 - 50% Off NP
Zombie Vikings - $13.99 - 30% Off NX

PS3

AquaPazza - $15.00 - 50% Off NX
Bladestorm: Nightmare - $34.99 - 30% Off NX
BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma Extend - $27.99 - 30% Off NX
Deception IV: The Nightmare Princess - $34.99 - 30% Off NX

Disney Infinity 3.0 Edition - $19.99 - 33% Off N
Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds Complete Collection - $19.99 - 20% Off - Move Compatible

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Legion Edition - $19.99 - 33% Off NP

R.I.P.D.: The Game - $3.00 - 70% Off NX
Tears to Tiara II: Heir of the Overlord - $20.00 - 50% Off NX
World Hunter - $8.99 - 10% Off

PS2 Classics - PS3 Only

N/A

PS1 Classics - Compatible with PS3/PSP - Vita and PS TV Compatibility

N/A

Vita- PS TV Compatibility

Conception II: Children of the Seven Stars - $19.79 - 34% Off NX

Deception IV: The Nightmare Princess - $29.99 - 25% Off NX

Draw Slasher - $3.00 - 50% Off
Hyperdevotion Noire: Goddess Black Heart - $29.99 - 25% Off NP
Hyperdimension Neptunia ReBirth2 - $29.99 - 25% Off NP
J-Stars Victory VS+ - $27.99 - 30% Off NX
Persona 4 Golden - $19.79 - 34% Off NX
PixelJunk Monsters Ultimate HD - $11.99 - 20% Off
Reel Fishing Master's Challenge - $19.99 - 33% Off NP

PSP - Vita and PS TV Compatibility

Gungnir - $10.00 - 50% Off NX
Hexyz Force - $4.95 - 67% Off NX
Knights in the Nightmare - $4.95 - 67% Off NX
Riviera: The Promised Land - $5.00 - 50% Off NX
Yggdra Union - $5.00 - 50% Off NX

Minis - Vita and PS TV Compatibility
N/A

PS4 Add-ons

Blacklight: Retribution

DC Universe Online

Loadout

PlanetSide 2

Trans-Galactic Tournament

Warframe

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

PS3 Add-ons

Dust 514
Skullgirls Encore

Vita Add-ons

My Singing Monsters

Samurai Warriors: Chronicles 3

Themes

:ps4: Back to Bed Dynamic Theme - $2.39 - 20% Off

:ps4: The Last Tinker Dynamic Theme - $2.00 - 50% Off

:ps4: Q*bert: Rebooted Dynamic Theme - $2.00 - 50% Off
:ps4: Velocibox Dynamic Theme - $2.39 - 20% Off

:ps3: Yakuza 5: Fulfiller of Dreams - Free

Protection Plans
:ps4: PlayStation Protection Plan - Accidental Damage 36 Months - $53.99 - 10% Off
:ps4: PlayStation Protection Plan - Non-Accidental Damage 36 Months - $44.99 - 10% Off

Weird Prices on PSN
:ps3: :psp: 9-in-1 Mega Pack - $2.99 - 70% Off
:ps3: Foosball 2012 Ultimate Foosball Bundle - $2.99 - 70% Off
:vita: Foosball 2012 Ultimate Foosball Bundle - $2.99 - 70% Off
:psp: Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee - $3.99 - 60% Off
:ps3: Psychonauts - $4.99 - 50% Off
:ps3: Saints Row 2 - $4.99 - 50% Off
:ps3: Sports Champions - $4.99 - 50% Off - Move Required
:ps3: Sports Champions 2 - $4.99 - 50% Off - Move Required
:ps3: Street Fighter III Third Strike Online Edition - $3.99 - 60% Off
:ps3: :psp: The Ultimate Runner Game Bundle - $1.99 - 50% Off [customspoiler=Includes]The Impossible Game and One Epic Game, which are normally $1.99 each.[/customspoiler]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Feel free to provide feedback for ways to improve this thread. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I accidentally didn't differentiate between the two either and thought we were getting the main game all this time. I'm kinda ticked even though its my fault because I would have gotten the main game on bf
I must have missed that detail, as all the items I read about it were didn't mention it being the expansion. My bad.

I'm sure it'll be back on the $20 and less range sooner than later, so I'll just have to keep an eye out for it.
Kmart has the main Infamous: Second Son game for $14.39 ($25.60 off) right now if you have one near you. Cheers!

no, theres a difference between surprise of exploration and just being thrown to the wolves without a torch. Even back in the day you got a manual with controls and some info in it. Going in blind to a game without even knowing what the buttons do is not my idea of fun
I at first has a hard time with this game.. but the more I played, the more I liked. Yes it feels like you're being thrown at the wolves, and yes weeks in I was still looking up stuff to figure out mechanics, but that's the type of game this. Here is a quick overview without clogging up this forum (I just got platinum on this yesterday!)

When you first start the game, your object is to get to the boss floor marked with the skull. Each floor has one treasure room (first floor room is unlocked subsequent are locked) inside is a randomly generated item. Each floor has a shop with items for purchase behind a locked door. (and a donation machine, which if you keep putting money in over the course of the game, will unlock new items for the shop) Each floor has one Boss, when beaten drops an upgrade for your character. From the 2nd floor on, if you beat a floor without taking damage to your red health bars, you get a chance for a devil room to appear to make a deal with the devil for other upgrades, at the cost of your max health, if you ignore his offer, later on, again not taking damage you may get an angel room that has a free upgrade inside. Once you beat that first boss, the game gets longer the next time, with a new end boss. There are several characters to unlock, they all have different starting stats and items. Doing anything in the game unlocks more items. Each "run" goes about 30mins to get to the very end, after you unlocked it. It's fun not knowing what items do, and even more fun to see how different items interact. That's what kept me playing... just imagine

Giant exploding, flaming sythes, that home in and kill everything on the screen.... had that!

A giant ring of insta-kill laser! had that too.

as for controls, check the menus, left stick move, right stick fire. L1 bomb, R1 use Pill/card, L2 use active item, Hold R2 to drop trinkets,pills,cards etc.

that's it, its not for everyone, but I had a blast!

Nightc1. Just be aware that it will not be Infamous: Second Son, but rather the DLC First Light (which just happens to have a Platinum trophy as well).
Oh yeah I'm very aware. Like I said, I'm a big fan of the series. It's what made me want a PS3 and what makes me want a PS4. I could have been more specific though. I'll grab the original game whenever I find it cheap enough and available, it'll be nice not having to buy the DLC for it. Too bad there aren't any K-Mart's around here anymore.

https://www.facebook.com/starlightinception/posts/778000952248238

The Starlight Inception team is revealing a new game for PS4 on Monday called Starlight Tactics.
Meh.... Hope they play that themselves before it's released. I read through the Inception reviews recentlyand it was depressing. I read the patches fixed most the problems but the fundamentals were still flawed.

I wanted that game to be good, I ended up being scared to pay $5 for it. Now I'm waiting for the PC version to get a huge discount on a future steam sale

You can only use the 10% off coupon code on up to 150$ and I was going use it on pre-orders but you can't just add them to your cart and then check out u have to check out without added it your cart
I'll wait until more info comes in about the 10% discount before I get to worried about it, but if you end up being right about this it would put a little damper on my plan to pre-order REmake. In fairness, no where in the announcement does it state the discount can be applied to pre-orders. :(

Question for the knowledgeable here: 

Are we entitled to a free upgrade of Don't Starve Console Edition to the Giants Edition if we received it free through PS+? 

I just remembered about this and can't seem to find a way to upgrade through the webstore or the PS Store on my actual PS4 (on the PS4 it seems to want me to pay 4.99 for the upgrade)..any info would be appreciated!

Question for the knowledgeable here:

Are we entitled to a free upgrade of Don't Starve Console Edition to the Giants Edition if we received it free through PS+?

I just remembered about this and can't seem to find a way to upgrade through the webstore or the PS Store on my actual PS4 (on the PS4 it seems to want me to pay 4.99 for the upgrade)..any info would be appreciated!
you get it free on vita which includes the dlc if you had it on ps4

Quick question for a PS4 newbie. I had a PS3 that died about a year and a half ago, but I had noticed some games now considered "crossbuys", like Flower, that don't show up in my PS4 library and also show full price if I go to buy them. I'm using the same PSN account. Is their a trick to getting them to show on your PS4? Or would I have needed to buy them after the PS4 came out?

Quick question for a PS4 newbie. I had a PS3 that died about a year and a half ago, but I had noticed some games now considered "crossbuys", like Flower, that don't show up in my PS4 library and also show full price if I go to buy them. I'm using the same PSN account. Is their a trick to getting them to show on your PS4? Or would I have needed to buy them after the PS4 came out?
PS3 Cross Buy on PS4

Vita Cross Buy on PS4

There's no trick. The PS4 versions in the links above should show up as free if you bought the other versions previously and only require adding them to your cart and checking out.

eh unless you plan on buying a ton of stuff the 10% isnt that big of a deal. also why do the ps plus games not go free till tuesday I much prefer the xbox way where they become free the last day of the month before
It's essentially every 30ish days either way. Your 'issue' is all in your head. Omg, I can't believe John's birthday is in March! I have to wait all the way till November! Woe is me!

i just hate that i have no idea whats going on. I know the age of manuals are dead but shit give me a digital one at least. I have no idea what the different rooms and power ups and junk mean/do and dont care to play it enough to stumble around to try to figure it out.
Please flip a coin and pick a response:

Heads:

WTF would you need a manual for Binding of Isaac for, ffs. It's a damn dual stick shooter. Besides, don't you have the internet?

Tails:

WTF would you need a manual for Binding of Isaac for, ffs. It's a damn dual stick shooter. Besides, don't you have the internet?

It's basically just blind luck. If you get the best items, you win really easily, and if you don't, you lose. I don't understand what people see in it, the difficulty doesn't come from the braindead enemies, it's just a matter of remembering what the items do and hoping the good ones appear.
It's only 'blind luck' if you're terrible at it. The whole point of roguelikes and roguelites is dealing with what the game throws at you. Yes, you get easy games sometimes, but the fun part is surving and winning the hard ones. It's rare I can't beat a game of Binding of Isacc, regardless of loadout. That's not because I'm 'lucky' at BoI.

And if the difficultly doesn't come "from the braindead enemies", then why do you care what powerups you get?

Well, they aren't showing up as free for me. Again, not sure if maybe it has something to do with the fact that the PS4 wasn't even out when I bought them originally.
That should have nothing to do with it. As long as you're using the right account they should appear. Maybe try to contact Sony support?

It's only 'blind luck' if you're terrible at it. The whole point of roguelikes and roguelites is dealing with what the game throws at you. Yes, you get easy games sometimes, but the fun part is surving and winning the hard ones. It's rare I can't beat a game of Binding of Isacc, regardless of loadout. That's not because I'm 'lucky' at BoI.

And if the difficultly doesn't come "from the braindead enemies", then why do you care what powerups you get?
Because the difficulty is from the bosses and only being able to shoot in four directions. And I dunno, I beat it on the second time I ever played it just because I happened to get a bunch of crazy lasers and stuff, while the first time I was picking up items that just took my health. That screams "blind luck" to me.

That should have nothing to do with it. As long as you're using the right account they should appear. Maybe try to contact Sony support?
Yeah, might have to. It's only Flower and Flow (of the two, only played the former all that much). But, hey, with my skimpy PS4 collection so far a few more games would be nice. But calling support...sigh.

I have never won a game of BoI. I have no idea what the items do but that's not why. I just suck at it. I always die at Mother. Accepting ownership of my failure.

Because the difficulty is from the bosses and only being able to shoot in four directions. And I dunno, I beat it on the second time I ever played it just because I happened to get a bunch of crazy lasers and stuff, while the first time I was picking up items that just took my health. That screams "blind luck" to me.
It's not that hard if you don't suck at the game, but you've only beaten the first part of the game. There's still plenty more to do. The items don't make it beatable or unbeatable, just increase or lessen the odds that you'll beat it. If you're good enough, you can overcome most of the items just fine.

I have never won a game of BoI. I have no idea what the items do but that's not why. I just suck at it. I always die at Mother. Accepting ownership of my failure.
If you stink at the game, you should stop trying to beat it with Isaac and focus on unlocking the other characters. Azazael is especially good for people that aren't good at the game because it can fly over any traps and makes getting those hidden chests easier.

You've never played rogue-like games have you? Pick up nethack on your tablet. Play it a few times and come back and say BoI is not fair.

You didn't beat BoI the second time you played it, you beat the tutorial on your second try. The basement has many more levels beyond that.

And the fact that you only beat it with 'crazy lasers' means nothing - you shouldn't need 'crazy lasers' just to beat mom for the first time. Heck, I'm sure that can be done without picking up any items at all.

You're conflating your own lack of skill with the luck you required to beat the tutorial.

Fair enough. Mother has very basic patterns, if you watch her a couple times you should have no issue. Try locating yourself next to a door, firing at whatever appears, and only moving if you see the foot shadow.

I'm terrible at Spelunky (and most platformers). God damn it spelunky, you luck bucket.

You've never played rogue-like games have you? Pick up nethack on your tablet. Play it a few times and come back and say BoI is not fair.
Lol. Nethack is pretty fair too, imo. Hard as fuck, sure, but again, the most skillful of players can beat pretty much any playthrough because they understand the game. (I've ascended, but am far from an expert).

Some of us grew up at a time where almost every game was 'permadeath' -- you weren't expected to win games back then, you were expected to die and die and die and then, maybe, get good enough to win (if there even was a 'win' condition. That's everything from pacman to mario to megaman to centipede to, well, everything. Beat all the levels? Loop around to a ng+ like, say, Robotron. cRPGs were the same way -- just having a party survive 5 minutes in the original Bard's Tale was a bit of an accomplishment, since the first random encounter could slaughter you. Same with Wizardry, etc.

Nowadays a monkey, given enough tries, could beat most games, since dying means nothing and all you need to do is get to the next checkpoint.

Also the Super Edgy Poop Everywhere And Also Memes stuff in it made me not want to play it anymore anyway. But sure enjoy your flash game I guess.

Don't worry, I am fully aware that most roguelikes are dumb bullshit for masochists. I do think Binding of Isaac is worse than most simply because it's so easy if you aren't completely screwed by eating the wrong pills.

Also if a game shows me I have gotten to the last level, I defeat the character set up as the main enemy, and then it shows me end credits, I finished it. Sorry. I have no interest in running it a hundred times to fill out the item index or whatever so I can see all the hot memes it has to offer.

Also the Super Edgy Poop Everywhere And Also Memes stuff in it made me not want to play it anymore anyway. But sure enjoy your flash game I guess.
Why are you talking down to people because they enjoy Isaac? Btw rebirth is no longer using a flash engine. Maybe know what you're talking about before trying to talk down to people

Don't worry, I am fully aware that most roguelikes are dumb bullshit for masochists. I do think Binding of Isaac is worse than most simply because it's so easy if you aren't completely screwed by eating the wrong pills.

Also if a game shows me I have gotten to the last level, I defeat the character set up as the main enemy, and then it shows me end credits, I finished it. Sorry. I have no interest in running it a hundred times to fill out the item index or whatever so I can see all the hot memes it has to offer.
That's because beating mom isnt the true ending.

Why are you talking down to people because they enjoy Isaac? Btw rebirth is no longer using a flash engine. Maybe know what you're talking about before trying to talk down to people
Yeah I know, they traded in Flash for a done-to-death 16-bit aesthetic. Fwiw, I preferred the original game's look.

I didn't find Binding of Isaac's core gameplay compelling and the depth is completely undermined by the lack of explanation or journal.

It's not like most of these items have something we'd get a clear idea of what they'd do, like most items in Spelunky. I love Spelunky and Rogue Legacy but BoI is lightyears behind them right now

I didn't find Binding of Isaac's core gameplay compelling and the depth is completely undermined by the lack of explanation or journal.

It's not like most of these items have something we'd get a clear idea of what they'd do, like most items in Spelunky. I love Spelunky and Rogue Legacy but BoI is lightyears behind them right now
Yeah, I didn't like Spelunky as much as some people, but it's definitely far superior. Especially with how tightly it controls, whereas BoI fells like a slippery mess. Rogue Legacy (even though it's also too easy) and FTL are the best of this new roguelike resurgence for my money. Dungeon of the Endless is pretty dope too.

Some news for anime fans: Funimation released their own app for PS3 last week and it looks like the full catalog is there, so plenty of stuff you won't see on Crunchyroll. The bad news is that most series are limited to two to four episodes if you want to watch for free.

There's plenty of video game adaptations: Devil May Cry, Danganronpa, Blazblue, Hyperdimension Neptunia, Sengoku Basara, World Destruction, Senran Kagura.

Most of the items in The Binding of Isaac have effects that are clear to discern, though there are definitely some with minor or hard to discern effects that require a FAQ to figure out what changed. I would've loved to see them add a codex to the game where you'd have a resource that fills up after each run with the items you've used to aid in the learning experience that is a big part of the game. The pills are at least the easiest to understand aspect of the game in that respect, as you take it once and it'll be properly labelled with its effects from then on that makes it necessary to take all of the ??? pills you can find. I don't think any of that undermines the depth of the gameplay at all, which focuses on trying to have a balanced strategy of methodically clearing out each room on each floor while engaging the experimentation inherent with the item spawning that sometimes goes your way and sometimes doesn't.

The big difference between those three is that if you know what you're doing right away, you can pretty much see everything there is to see in Spelunky and Rogue Legacy in a handful of runs because the games are the same, content-wise, from your first run to your 100th run. You can more easily predict what will happen with each successive run and plan to get certain items or hit certain goals in that run, which is why the Daily Challenge is an awesome way of challenging players to see who can best execute their strategy on their one run in that one seed for the day in the name of bragging rights. I can be terrible in Rogue Legacy and still feel some sense of progression as I level up, earn some money, and slowly improve my descendants over time to hopefully make the hard boss fights more manageable, which is a great testament to how good their idea was when it works for players of almost any skill level. I love all three games, so don't take these as knocks or me shitting on the games. The Binding of Isaac just requires more of a time investment to see all it has to offer than Rogue Legacy or Spelunky, which certainly means it won't appeal to some people and that's just fine. It doesn't require people to be vitriolic about the game or those that do enjoy it.

For me, there's a lot of fun just partaking in the chaos of what the random items in The Binding of Isaac can do to a run that seemed to be going well, but there's no way that you can only succeed or fail based on luck of the draw. I've gotten "screwed" by getting the item that causes tears to orbit around Isaac and instead of giving up, I adjusted my strategy and eventually beat Mom with that build. Your fortunes can improve or go down the toilet quickly, but that's just a part of the strategy and the fun for me.

Challenges are great in Isaac to get used to items you'd normally give up on.

Honestly isaac is so deep in gameplay that someone who only beat mom and didn't unlock any other characters or beat moms heart really can't say much about that game. That's basically beating the tutorial of a game and judging the whole game on that.

Honestly isaac is so deep in gameplay that someone who only beat mom and didn't unlock any other characters or beat moms heart really can't say much about that game. That's basically beating the tutorial of a game and judging the whole game on that.
They can speak freely about their opinion, but it's not as nuanced of an opinion as those that have put more time into it.

Wow, you have nothing worth saying, do you?

Binding of Isaac has more depth than the vast majority of games.

I think some of you are way, way too concerned with 'what pickups do'. There's almost no bad pickups, with the exception of the cursed eye. There are a few others that might be bad, based on what you have, but... that's a couple out of what, 350? And they're only bad with certain setups. There are something like 350 pickups for a reason - you're not supposed to just 'know' what everything does. Just pick them up and have fun, and if one messes up a playthrough big deal, start over, lesson learned.

There are others, like Dead Cat, that newbies think are terrible but are actually some of the best pickups in the games if you know how to play.

Get over dying. Death is okay. The games depth isn't about a single playthrough, it's about how diverse hundreds of playthroughs can be.

I swear, it's like some of you never quaffed an unknown potion in Nethack.

Yeah, I didn't like Spelunky as much as some people, but it's definitely far superior. Especially with how tightly it controls, whereas BoI fells like a slippery mess. Rogue Legacy (even though it's also too easy) and FTL are the best of this new roguelike resurgence for my money. Dungeon of the Endless is pretty dope too.
I've beaten DotE too. It's just as dependent on the sequence of pickups you get as BoI, which is to say, very little -- a good player will survive either way in most cases. Some game you'll find a rice gun for your soldier right away, other times you won't find a generator room for 3 doors, other times you'll be super low on dust. If every game were the same, it would be terrible.

BoI has far more depth, though I do love DotE.

For those that never heard of DotE, it's a PC game that combines RTWP roguelike with tower defense and base building. Really, really cool. Seriously hard -- about 100x harder than BoI, though that's in part because I don't consider BoI particularly difficult.

Spelunky may have precise controls, but I can't stand it (and I'm bad at it). That doesn't mean I'd insult the game or it's advocates, it's just not for me. I can tell it's a good game. BoI is far superior due to the variety of playthroughs in my opinion.

This. It's ridiculously deep. Controls fantastically too. It's my GOTY in a year of solid games.

They can speak freely about their opinion, but it's not as nuanced of an opinion as those that have put more time into it.
"not as nuanced" is code for "wrong".

I don't care for it either. It's ugly and mean-spirited, and as a Smash TV-esque shooter it leaves much to be desired. I had it on my Vita, and deleted it pretty quickly. If other people enjoy it, fine, but it's not for me.

Some news for anime fans: Funimation released their own app for PS3 last week and it looks like the full catalog is there, so plenty of stuff you won't see on Crunchyroll. The bad news is that most series are limited to two to four episodes if you want to watch for free.

There's plenty of video game adaptations: Devil May Cry, Danganronpa, Blazblue, Hyperdimension Neptunia, Sengoku Basara, World Destruction, Senran Kagura.
Dub or Sub?

Too bad you didn't have two extra days or anything.
You not aware of why there were two "extra" days? It was to make up for the several days many of us couldn't get through for purchases. And unlike normal PSN updates, this one was an exact timed pull down, so no leeway on update day like most updates.

You not aware of why there were two "extra" days? It was to make up for the several days many of us couldn't get through for purchases. And unlike normal PSN updates, this one was an exact timed pull down, so no leeway on update day like most updates.
Of course I'm aware, and the web store worked for the entirety of those two extra days as well as was up along with the PS3 while the PS4 had problems for another day or so. Web store worked at least 12 hours before the flash sale would have ended originally.

I have hated binding of issac yet rogue legacy is my favorite ps4 game to date for a simple reason. progression. you can be back at rogue legacy and die somewhat quickly but as long as you get a little bit of money you can buy upgrades and get a little farther each time.

I have hated binding of issac yet rogue legacy is my favorite ps4 game to date for a simple reason. progression. you can be back at rogue legacy and die somewhat quickly but as long as you get a little bit of money you can buy upgrades and get a little farther each time.
its just too bad rogue goes by so quickly though. I pay 40 for it on cart or even download if they made a 2nd one that was 2 or 3 times longer

Anyone else having trouble with the PSN being incredibly laggy? I can sign in, but it takes quite a while to sign in. Netflix takes forever to load and then lags too much to play any episodes. Every other device in the house is online just fine, and you can watch Netflix on computers in the house just fine.

Progression breaks roguelikes. If you got to keep powerups you'd eventually (sooner than later, most likely) be too powerful and the game would break. Starting new, armed with only knowledge/skill gained, is sort of the point. Conversely, you'd be too weak if you just started the game and haven't had any 'progression'.

It's joyous taking that character in Nethack or BoI or whatever, and beating the game with them, when once that seemed impossibly out of reach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back