PSNOT 3.0 - Let's Talk About University of Kentucky, Baby!

How're you liking HLD? I think you're the first in here to play it.
It's fantastic and well worth the full $20. I think I'm near the end of my first run (~6.5 hours), but I still need to get the remaining collectibles and prepare for the brutal NG+ where you're limited to 2 HP vs. 5 HP so lots of enemies can 1-shot you.

How're you liking HLD? I think you're the first in here to play it.
Ahem, I played it (and beat it, which is kind of rare for me, at least so soon after starting it) Didn't go for all of the collectibles, so my playthrough didn't feel super long (not too short either). Combat is excellent. Fast paced, fun, and tough (but fair). At least on the normal difficulty. My only beef with it was the story. There wasn't one. They tried to give you flashes of images that hinted at what was going on, but it was way too subtle. I'm sure someone on the internet painstakingly analyzed everything and pieced it together, but I'm not compelled to look it up.

Ahem, I played it (and beat it, which is kind of rare for me, at least so soon after starting it) Didn't go for all of the collectibles, so my playthrough didn't feel super long (not too short either). Combat is excellent. Fast paced, fun, and tough (but fair). At least on the normal difficulty. My only beef with it was the story. There wasn't one. They tried to give you flashes of images that hinted at what was going on, but it was way too subtle. I'm sure someone on the internet painstakingly analyzed everything and pieced it together, but I'm not compelled to look it up.
Personally, I love the minimalistic story as its focus on atmosphere reminds me of Super Metroid (which has a more tangible story than HLD, but still).

That Dream Team rendering in 2K17 is comedy gold.  How can Ewing look so much like the real him but they fuck up David Robinson and the others already mentioned so much.  Like all the white guys look almost unrecognizable.

:rofl:

They made Bird look like wren. No fucking joke.
Bruh, I was actually called mini Bird in grade school (and somewhat into HS) cause I could light it up from 3 pt range. If I had grown over 6'6" I definitely would have tried to play basketball more. I really did have a good shot. But when your 5'9" and white (cant jump) you cant get your shot off. fucking parents.

I was a really good passer too. No looks with the best of them. My neighborhood had a court at our park. But our park was out on a main road and anyone could stop in and play. So I grew up playing with a lot of black guys. So of course they called me Bird since that was the only good white player at the time and he could shoot. I really did love basketball. As we always say...

90s basketball was the best basketball.

Last edited by a moderator:
So that 2K17 dream team photo... it's real? Like, some fan didn't cut it together and post it to make fun of it? It seems entirely impossible that the fine folks at 2K were completely okay with how that image looks. It's unbelievable.

So that 2K17 dream team photo... it's real? Like, some fan didn't cut it together and post it to make fun of it? It seems entirely impossible that the fine folks at 2K were completely okay with how that image looks. It's unbelievable.
It seriously looks like a PS2-era image.

To be clear, I'm not being "online outraged" about anything. I'm not offended because our lords and saviors of basketball have been tainted by lowly videogame developers.

I'm simply fascinated that anyone thought that was a good idea, especially with welcoming a direct comparison to an actual photo of the subjects. It's on the Fantastic Four (2015) level of bad ideas.

Hey Wren, how is DeadPool?
Its kind of meh so far. The camera and unsteady frame rate are really annoying but at least the humor can be pretty good sometimes. I dont know if I have the patience to bother cleaning up the plat on this one with all the other games coming out soon and my back log.

Its kind of meh so far. The camera and unsteady frame rate are really annoying but at least the humor can be pretty good sometimes. I dont know if I have the patience to bother cleaning up the plat on this one with all the other games coming out soon and my back log.
Yeah trophies are beginning to become a chore.

After watching all of the Walking Dead the last 2 weeks I learned you always need to run. Never stop running.
cardio.gif

Also

Don't stop trying to get free of your restraints for 30 seconds at a time to listen if the recently dead person in the room is coming back to life.

Yeah, we've talked about it.

At this point I'm wondering which will be the worse flop, NMS or FF15. Hype vs 10 years of development hell.
At least with FF15 people should know what they're getting themselves into. If after two demos and knowing what modern Final Fantasy games are like you're surprised or disappointed by 15 then it will be your own damn fault.

With NMS there seemed to be a lot of unknowns and misinformation (true multiplayer like Hello Games said there would be? Nope.) to go along with the hype. It had really been built up in everyone's heads what the actual gameplay would be. Now we play it and realize it's mostly inventory management hell with some bad flying and exploring planets that have only been palette swapped with all the same plants and rocks. It feels a bit like Mass Effect 1 without the Mako.

I think if I walk away from it for a few days I won't have much desire to go back to it.

At least with FF15 people should know what they're getting themselves into. If after two demos and knowing what modern Final Fantasy games are like you're surprised or disappointed by 15 then it will be your own damn fault.

With NMS there seemed to be a lot of unknowns and misinformation (true multiplayer like Hello Games said there would be? Nope.) to go along with the hype. It had really been built up in everyone's heads what the actual gameplay would be. Now we play it and realize it's mostly inventory management hell with some bad flying and exploring planets that have only been palette swapped with all the same plants and rocks. It feels a bit like Mass Effect 1 without the Mako.

I think if I walk away from it for a few days I won't have much desire to go back to it.
fucking called it. Call me Nostradamus!

I played it last week on XBox One ($4 cheaper at BB) and thought the same. I don't give a shit about achievements and quickly traded it GameStop for $22. Glad I played it don't regret just beating it and trading it off.

Might be the worst port in terms of quality I have played yet.

Like I've said on Discord, my youngest really loves NMS. He was playing it more this morning. I don't love it, but I don't hate it either. I'm going to keep plugging away at it slowly.

Not sure how you can call NMS a flop. It seems to have sold really well.
I wasn't referring to the sales. NMS had a ton of pre-orders, to the point where I doubt it could have been a flop financially. The reception from users has been pretty poor, though--it's sitting at 4.9 out of 3719 ratings on the PS4 version, which is the best version of the game. The PC port is a shitshow at 3.0 and 708 users on Metacritic and 58% recommended from 37k users on Steam.

With the size of the team and the procedurally generated aspect of the game I expect they've done pretty well with NMS. The speed at which people are returning it says a lot about the quality of the content, though.

The heavy-metal game with the awesome gifs that had lots of issues at launch is apparently much better now: https://www.destructoid.com/it-s-shocking-how-much-better-slain-is-now-380556.phtml

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5NakGttzWg

giphy.gif
I played the first level a few days ago. It starts out pretty slow with very few enemies and they're spread out quite a bit, but that's just the intro. By the end of the first level the game is providing a decent challenge between the projectiles, the sets of small enemies, and the big monsters thrown in that are harder to deal with. Controls are pretty simple but there's definitely some timing to learn for dodging/blocking enemy attacks while landing your own. I'm not very good at it yet and died probably 5-10 times in what I've played so far.

I like it so far.

Some building across the street's fire alarm has been going off for most of the day and I can hear it in my office.  One of those ERR ERR ERR sounds.  Super fun.

giphy.gif

The PC version of NMS has terrible optimization. I can max out the settings for a game like Witcher 3 (with HairWorks enabled!) and I have to tweak the settings and mess around with it a ton just to get NMS playing at a tolerable FPS. Still lots of draw in. Then after about an hour it will randomly decide to crap out and require a restart. No surprise people don't like it.

On the plus side, you can remap sprint to L3!

I don't feel too bad for the people who complain with "I've put 30 hours into it (in less than 1 week) and now I feel bored!"

The honest answer is it probably shouldn't have been a $60 release. A $20 release (and a whole lot less hype) and it probably would be receiving tons of praise for what it does. This just feels like the foundation for NMS2.

The PC version of NMS has terrible optimization. I can max out the settings for a game like Witcher 3 (with HairWorks enabled!) and I have to tweak the settings and mess around with it a ton just to get NMS playing at a tolerable FPS. Then after about an hour it will randomly decide to crap out and require a restart. No surprise people don't like it.

On the plus side, you can remap sprint to L3!
There have been quite a few complaints about crashing on the PS4 version in Discord. IIIRC, somebody said he'd had five crashes in an hour or something ridiculous like that. Stotch, I think.

They say they are working on the bugs. I haven't actually run into any crashes for the bit I've played, but I do see the every planet 100% bug. Which in at least some cases seems to go away. I'm talking PS4 here. No comment on PC version.

One of my soccer friends tried to sell me on no mans sky. "You say you won't like it. Then you'll play it then realize its the best most relaxing game ever." I just laughed at him. 

Got the plat in Odin Sphere. Really enjoyed the game. Got burnt out on it after 3/5 of the characters at first, but over all, it was still really fun. The story split was pretty interesting, and I liked the overall ending, but the grind through the "bad" endings was kinda tedious. Same with boss rush. 

Ranking the characters by playstyle, I think I'd go with Mercedes>Velvet>Oswald>Cornelius>Gwendolyn. Took me awhile to get used to Mercedes bow since its very different from the others, but after I got used to it, it was awesome. She's got really good DPS and the flight thing helps a lot with keeping her from getting hit since she has a much smaller health pool/defensive rating. 

Glad this one got remastered, Definitely been loving the vanillaware games on vita. 

I got a message saying Discord misses me. I haven't been there since E3. I'd go if there's an audience for shows as they are airing like The Walking Dead. Otherwise, I'm happy here.

#discord-nected

MLB Premium is free the rest of the year if you do the following

http://mlb.mlb.com/sponsors/wendys/mlbtv/?partnerId=ed-10697596-55428157

1) Buy a Wendy's Frosty

2) Take a photo of your Frosty

3) Put the photo on twitter or instagram to your account (public) with #50CENTFROSTYMLB

4) Wait for a DM with instructions on how to redeem 24-48 hours after

Must have a public Twitter or Instagram account. Valid to the first 34,000 fans. Redemption period 8/15 - 8/31. 

MLB Premium is free the rest of the year if you do the following

http://mlb.mlb.com/sponsors/wendys/mlbtv/?partnerId=ed-10697596-55428157

1) Buy a Wendy's Frosty

2) Take a photo of your Frosty

3) Put the photo on twitter or instagram to your account (public) with #50CENTFROSTYMLB

4) Wait for a DM with instructions on how to redeem 24-48 hours after

Must have a public Twitter or Instagram account. Valid to the first 34,000 fans. Redemption period 8/15 - 8/31.
No way they haven't run out by now, especially with people just stealing pictures from other people.

bread's done
Back