PSP $169 as of Tuesday 4-3-07

flizmo007

CAGiversary!
Feedback
22 (100%)
A little too late?

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/04/02/psp-price-drop-core-pack-down-to-169-99-tomorrow/

"Were you planning on picking up a Sony PSP tomorrow from your local Gamestop or EB Games? Excellent. Were you planning on paying for it? Super excellent. As a reward for your unquestionable moral values, you'll be given a $30 discount on that purchase of "the past". You see, as of April 3, the PSP Core Pack is being marked down from $199.99 to $169.99.

Gamestop and EB Games have already received the promotional materials (as depicted above) and instructions (shown after the break) for the long overdue price drop and will no doubt have it ready to greet you within the next 24 hours. For those still wary of the giggling miasma of April Fools still lingering in the air, rest assured that we've verified this information with Gamestop. Happy PSP... ing. "

[quote name='Rusty Ghia']The link says $169.99 not $150.[/quote]

hehe, must've been wishful thinking on the OP's part. Still nice news overall.

I'll still wait for PSP2 if and when that ever comes out...

It's an improvement, but 149.99 would have been better and 129.99 would make it competitive. The forty dollar price gap between the psp and ds is still a pretty deep chasm for Sony in the American market. Whatever happened to the day of clean price cuts in the forms of 50s? I can't remember if it was the DS or the PS2 that started the smaller price cut trend, but i for one don't like it still

Uh ... I'm tempted ... but I'm not convinced quite yet. If this is universal, then combined with some of the deals that pop up from time to time, this should work out pretty well. If this is a "limited time, EB/Gamestop only, not to be combined with any other offer" type thing, then it's pretty pointless.

Meh, still not worth it IMO, the system has too many annoying and major flaws. I'd rather wait for the rumored redisigned version to hit.

Awesome news if I didnt already have one. My launch PSP is still working flawlessly. With so many good RPGs coming out this year (Tales of the World in June!!) any RPG fan should buy one.

[quote name='Yertle']It's an improvement, but 149.99 would have been better and 129.99 would make it competitive. The forty dollar price gap between the psp and ds is still a pretty deep chasm for Sony in the American market. Whatever happened to the day of clean price cuts in the forms of 50s? I can't remember if it was the DS or the PS2 that started the smaller price cut trend, but i for one don't like it still[/QUOTE]PSP is more powerful than DS, which is why it costs a little more.

IMO, that's a pretty good price, but I already have mine. I'm still waiting for a re-design, because I'll buy another PSP.
[quote name='rodeojones903']Awesome news if I didnt already have one. My launch PSP is still working flawlessly. With so many good RPGs coming out this year (Tales of the World in June!!) any RPG fan should buy one.[/QUOTE]Agree. That's why my PSP will be getting the most support this year.

[quote name='ananag112']Why didn't they just drop the price during the holiday season? It boggles the mind.[/quote]

Because the new fiscal year starts this month. To cut the price during the holiday season if it wasn't scheduled would have added to lower earnings. Now it is a new fiscal year and they have the breathing space to re-evaluate price and change accordingly.

Only downside to this, all the critics will still say it's to expensive and there are no "good"games to justify purchase.:bomb:

[quote name='The Mana Knight']PSP is more powerful than DS, which is why it costs a little more.
[/quote]
I'm well aware that the PSP is more powerful than the DS, but market trends in the US appear to have shown that is not a major concern of American consumers otherwise they would have ponied up at the higher price point this holiday season when the DS completely pummeled the PSP. $40 is still too wide of a gap, the 150 pricepoint would have been the best pricepoint without sacrificing too much like the most competitive 130 would have been. $30 price drop is just weak. I've thought that the $20 price drop that the DS was weak too, but apparantly that hasn't stopped it selling at all

[quote name='davidjinfla']Because the new fiscal year starts this month. To cut the price during the holiday season if it wasn't scheduled would have added to lower earnings. Now it is a new fiscal year and they have the breathing space to re-evaluate price and change accordingly.[/QUOTE]

True, but with lagging software sales, I think a price drop would have helped them. I mean, the PS3 is losing Sony a ton of money already. A PSP price cut might not do much damage and could actually help them.

[quote name='Yertle']I'm well aware that the PSP is more powerful than the DS, but market trends in the US appear to have shown that is not a major concern of American consumers otherwise they would have ponied up at the higher price point this holiday season when the DS completely pummeled the PSP. $40 is still too wide of a gap, the 150 pricepoint would have been the best pricepoint without sacrificing too much like the most competitive 130 would have been. $30 price drop is just weak. I've thought that the $20 price drop that the DS was weak too, but apparantly that hasn't stopped it selling at all[/QUOTE]

So, a twenty dollar more price drop would have made the difference? I really doubt that.

Also, if Nintendo dropped it's price for a DS by twenty which you say was kinda weak, yet it still sold, what do you think a thirty dollar drop for a PSP will do for sales?

I'm not ragging on you or anything but I think that Sony will pull some nice numbers from this drop in price.

I am seriously confused on what to do about this. On one hand, i think it is worth every penny of $169.99. On the other hand, the rumours of the redesign make me want to wait, as I don't want to buy it and then a year later have to buy another that has a better design.

Just bought the silver import one from Play-asia for $178 shipped. Slightly cheaper than this would be after tax but just isn't the same great deal I thought I had gotten :cry:

[quote name='flizmo007']You see, as of April 3, the PSP Core Pack is being marked down from $199.99 to $169.99.

Gamestop and EB Games have already received the promotional materials (as depicted above) and instructions (shown after the break) for the long overdue price drop and will no doubt have it ready to greet you within the next 24 hours. For those still wary of the giggling miasma of April Fools still lingering in the air, rest assured that we've verified this information with Gamestop. Happy PSP... ing. "[/quote]

Huh... I guess that explains why the lady at the GameStop at the mall tonight was carefully arranging the PSP section - making sure all the titles were nicely laid out with clearly marked New and Used sections. Still there's really no point in getting a 2nd one unless they come out with some color choices.

[quote name='Maxwell31']So, a twenty dollar more price drop would have made the difference? I really doubt that.

Also, if Nintendo dropped it's price for a DS by twenty which you say was kinda weak, yet it still sold, what do you think a thirty dollar drop for a PSP will do for sales?

I'm not ragging on you or anything but I think that Sony will pull some nice numbers from this drop in price.[/QUOTE]

Doubt it. DS is still mucher hotter and cheaper. Yeah, graphics are nice, and it can double (make that triple) as a MP3 and MP4 player, but it's already shown that no one wants a portable that does more than play games, especially as botched as the PSP. Not to mention that the few who do, can still do it all on DS cheaper (maybe not better per'se).

I honestly doubt dropping the price to $129.99 would have a significant effect on sales, let alone a price point thats still $40 higher than what people really want.

It's really pointless to lock the video game deals versions of this thread since mostly PSP owners go into this sub-forum. WTF MODS!!111

is it possible to manipulate the firmware even if the newest sony firmware is on the system?

i know this wasn't possible in the past but things change quickly in the hacking world.

If you can find the ORIGINAL release of GTA:LCS (with the 2.0 firmware on it) you can downgrade the 3.03 firmware to 1.5. (so, if you buy a PSP with 2.7, upgrade it to 3.03 then downgrade)... but be sure to read what you're doing first.

Best Buy is now showing the $169 price, and $219 for the Entertainment Pack.

Man, why this isn't posted a bit earlier, damn, got a crappy used one last week and it can't even be "changed."

for those of you whine at the new price and comparing to the DS, man, you don't deserve to own a PSP... I got two DS lites (black and white), but they are nothing comparing to my PSPs (got two too). With the Nodus deal from CAG, my PSP arsenal is pretty much complete.

True, DS is a better portable MP3 player than the PSP (weight-wise), but WTF! My Sansa is smaller than the DS for that purpose and better battery life too.

As for movie, dudes and ladies, please don't compare the DS with the PSP, it's not even apples and oranges... DS is not even close to the PSP for movies!!!

Also, remote play feature, please don't confuse what the DS can really do vs what the PSP can do...

I have both Wii and PS3 and i know what the DS can do with the Wii and what PSP can do with the PS3. The DS is all software/game enabled, right now, the Wii has no idea what the *uck is a DS. So for those of you saying the DS can do what a PSP can for $130, stop spreading the bull *hit.

DS games are fun, i kind of agree, since i'm a big fan of Mario and Zelda (can't wait for Zelda PHG). However, any games with stylus, i find it more and more difficult to get into, b/c you have to *ucking read the text on and on, i was like "when are we going to play the *ucking game?" of course, for simpler games, you don't read much, you just get to it, but games like that have no replay values at all! I play Brain Age just to unlock all of the mini games, after that, i don't touch it anymore...

Right now, PSP getting most of my playing time on the road.

[quote name='Serpentor']
Right now, PSP getting most of my playing time on the road.[/QUOTE]
Sounds like you're more of a multimedia guy, then someone interested in games.

[quote name='zewone']Sounds like you're more of a multimedia guy, then someone interested in games.[/QUOTE]

yeah total multimedia freak if for some reason the poster believes a ds can play mp3s and movies.

[quote name='integralsmatic']yeah total multimedia freak if for some reason the poster believes a ds can play mp3s and movies.[/QUOTE]
It's possible, with flash carts. Nintendo even makes a official licensed MP3 player cart in Japan.

[quote name='zewone']It's possible, with flash carts. Nintendo even makes a official licensed MP3 player cart in Japan.[/QUOTE]

wow never knew that. i guess i learned something new for the day.

[quote name='zewone']Sounds like you're more of a multimedia guy, then someone interested in games.[/quote]
*sigh* no, i don't use the PSP as MP3 player on the go, it's a bit big for that purpose, but at home, yes, with the Nodus.

It's perfect as a portable photo album. I don't show people pictures in my wallet (only if there's no time to turn on the PSP), i show them the pics in my PSP (ah, cute little videos too).

Who said i don't play games on the PSP? Dudes and ladies, i almost beating Ultimate G&G w/o cheating saves. Having hard times beating Metal Slug Anoth and Gradius collection... Hmm, by now you guys/gals can guess that i'm into shooting games, yeah, plain old 2D shooting game. Oh, Capcom Classic is really cool too. The reason why i'm getting a 2nd and 3rd PSP, to play the multiplayer mode (old shcool games, i remember i didn't have quarters to play those games back in HS...)

[quote name='zewone']It's possible, with flash carts. Nintendo even makes a official licensed MP3 player cart in Japan.[/quote]

Yes, it can, but with the little MP3s in the market, why would you? The DS is still too big for a portable MP3 player. Of course, that's for people who don't already own an iPod or Sansa or what nots...

My launch PSP was totally worth it.
Why do people rag on the PSP so much, it's such a neat and capable system.

I need a DS Lite though, I'm tired of my original DS breaking my fingers.

$150 redesign with a 1 gig card included, and I might bite.

Thing is, for a portable system, it's pretty crappy. As something I'd play at home like a regular TV console, though, it isn't all that bad. Maybe a redesign will fix the problems.

Still waiting for some games for this thing. I bought one at the other price point (wish I really hadn't right now) and only have two games I play and have forced myself to buy some other cheap games just so I don't feel like the investment was a waste and I have something to do with it. I had some other games, but they were crap so I sold them off. I much prefer my DS still. It fits in my pocket. Is comfortable to play, I don't get smudge marks on the screens from my fingers, etc.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Still waiting for some games for this thing. I bought one at the other price point (wish I really hadn't right now) and only have two games I play and have forced myself to buy some other cheap games just so I don't feel like the investment was a waste and I have something to do with it. I had some other games, but they were crap so I sold them off. I much prefer my DS still. It fits in my pocket. Is comfortable to play, I don't get smudge marks on the screens from my fingers, etc.[/quote]

Have you played any of Outrun 2, Sid Meiers Pirates, Sega Genesis Collection, Powerstone Collection, SOCOM, either GTA or Ultimate Ghosts N Goblins?

They're all pretty good.

Yeh, if you need help finding a game to play just ask and we can make good suggestions. Long as you're not just looking for stuff that is priced $15. :razz:

bread's done
Back