PSP-2000 displayed on widescreen TV: black bars around image?

Ryuukishi

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
I just picked up some component cables for my PSP-2000. It worked great in the PSP menus, the image covered the entire screen of the widescreen television. But when I started a game, it displayed a smaller image in the center of the screen, with a lot of black space around the top, bottom, and sides. What's going on here?

[quote name='PenguinMaster']Games are displayed at their native resolution (480x272).[/quote]Any tricks to get around that? My television will only zoom vertically, unfortunately.

I haven't heard any great solutions. My solution was to play a game I really enjoyed and I'd eventually stop noticing the borders. :roll:

I wonder what stuff will be like on the PSP 3000. It's supposed to run games through composite, I wonder if it'll fill more of the screen that way.

Sony are fucking cheapasses for not putting in hardware video scaler chips. I would have been really cheap, and although it would, of course, result in blurry, highly upsclaed pictures, it would not have had any performance impact or extra programming requirements, if it had been a separate scaler chip.

[quote name='Methadon']So not only is everything going to be SD, but it's going to be 480x272? Sounds like it will like awful on my 50"...[/QUOTE]

Did you actually think that the PSP outputs native HD video when using the TV-out cables?

[quote name='evilmrt']alright, why can't the PSP change the res being displayed on the HDTV? my laptop can...[/QUOTE]

Because changing output resolution impacts performance. Asking the PSP hardware, which displays 480 x 272 images and has games designed for this, to natively render at 1280 x 720, would simply not be feasible.

And asking it to upscale in software would also have a performance hit, which isn't really acceptable either.

bread's done
Back