PSP-3000... Is it worth it?

Vhehs2

Banned
Is the PSP-3000 really that much better than the 2000?

And is the 2000 really that much better than the 1000?

I'm looking to buy a used one soon for the first time. Which would you recommend? Also, I'm not concerned about custom firmware.

Either is a huge improvement over the 1000 IMO, with faster load times and lighter weight. And I would personally recommend a 3000, as the screen does indeed look richer and ghosting is less noticeable.

I heard something about it having "scan lines" on the screen around when it launched, but I still have not noticed them to this day, and my bet is neither have most people as the rage has died down.

You might want to wait a bit longer as a price drop should be coming this year pushing used prices even lower.

I still prefer my 2000 model over the 3000. I can indeed see the scan lines, even when the colors are supposed to be more vibrant. Both, an improvement over the 1000, but which one to get would be a matter of personal preference.

Have both -2000 and -3000 PSP, either one should work fine.

With the Nintendo 3DS in the shadows, some do suspect that Sony will do a price cut on the PSP later in the year. But since Sony hasn't publicly announce a successor to the PSP, others think there won't be a price cut. And I do believe the earliest to know is this year's Tokyo Game Show.

Go 3000.. the scanlines won't bother you unless you are intently looking for them or staring at the same exact image on a 2000 right next to it. There's a built in mic and the speakers were moved (on the 3000) for better placement.

Just make sure you get one that supports custom firmware. Great to play gmaeboy advance games and playstation 1 games on it with that.

Yes, unless you are a pirate, 3000 is the way to go.

Frankly, the 1000 is a piece of junk. Heavy, horrible ghosting, bad d-pad.

2000 fixes most of those problems, but still has a ghosty screen.

The 3000 fixes that and thanks to the oversaturated colors (which is quite noticeable if you try turning it off and on in the menu) it also covers up much of the dithering used by many PSP games (apparently it's faster, but looks horrible)

The lines are pretty visible though - they aren't scanlines, the red blue and green pixels are orientated weirdly.

It should be

RGB RGB RGB
RGB RGB RGB
RGB RGB RGB

But for some reason, Sony did it

RRRR
GGGG
BBBB

(some companies stagger them to eliminate lines altogether)

I think it would be a big error for Sony to not drop the price before 3DS & why not do it this Fall to get lots of sales for Xmas. I really think they would make more money on the lower price by the amount of additional sales they would make. Xmas would also be the best time to actually sell some PSP software to those new users.

halfbyte loader works on all psp systems, as long as you didn't upgrade to firmware 6.30. It'll allow you to play snes, gba, and other emulators. no back-up psp games or ps1 iso's, though.

[quote name='maximumzero']There are scanlines on the 3000? I never noticed on mine.[/QUOTE]
I've only ever noticed them on higher resolution games like Phantasy Star Portable and FF:Crisis Core. It doesn't actually detract from the gaming experience for me, it kinda adds to the atmosphere of the game almost.

I notice them quite a lot of sprite based games. Poor Prinny looks pretty ass on the PSP-3000. Monster Hunter also seems to not look as good on the 3000, though I don't know why.

If the 1000 was anything like the 3000, I would have never sold my first PSP.

My main issue was the dpad... I HATED the dpad on that thing. I'd go so far as to say it sucks more than the 360's. Couldn't play Tekken or any other game I had that needed precision diagonals so it had to go. The 3000 works flawlessly. Definitely leaps and bounds over the old dpad, in my opinion. As far as scanlines, they're obviously noticeable, but they don't distract either. For playability and comfort, the 3000 is where it's at.

Don't hate on the 1000. I still have my launch system and I've never had a problem with scanlines or ghosties.

Loading might be a little slow but the system has done me right for several years now.

I decided to get the 1000 because it was about $35 cheaper.

This is my first time with a PSP so I decided I shouldn't put in too large of an investment.

[quote name='Kendro']Is CFW available on the 3000? I have a CFW 2000 and haven't kept up to date on the 3000.[/QUOTE]

Simple answer: no. But you should really not even ask that here:

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Any threads relating to custom firmware (CFW), isos, images, links, or anything else related to facilitating piracy will be removed and infractions and/or bannings will be handed out.

Thank you for your cooperation and have fun!

Best Regards,
CAG Moderation Team[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Vhehs2']Do you guys know if Gamestop or Best Buy or any other retail store sells replacement batteries for the original PSP? The PSP I bought has a pretty short battery life.

My local Gamestop has an external battery pack, but I think I will stay away from that.[/QUOTE]

You mean like this battery?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+Extended+Life+Battery+Kit+for+PSP/9328694.p?id=1218085898135&skuId=9328694&st=psp%20battery&cp=1&lp=1

EDIT: Cheaper on amazon http://www.amazon.com/Sony-PSP-Batt...ER&s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1282498511&sr=1-2

[quote name='depascal22']Don't hate on the 1000. I still have my launch system and I've never had a problem with scanlines or ghosties.

Loading might be a little slow but the system has done me right for several years now.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, got mine shortly after launch and have had no issues at all.

I was thinking about upgrading my 1000 soon. Mostly because I want to be able to display on my TV, plus that Kingdom Hearts bundle looks pretty cool.

[quote name='Vhehs2']Do you guys know if Gamestop or Best Buy or any other retail store sells replacement batteries for the original PSP? The PSP I bought has a pretty short battery life.

My local Gamestop has an external battery pack, but I think I will stay away from that.[/QUOTE]

Newegg has them the cheapest. The official Sony extended battery work on all PSP models (excluding the Go), and it's pretty much your only option these days to get a new official battery that's PSP-1k compatible.

I would recommend avoiding the temptation of buying a cheaper battery from Amazon marketplace or eBay which tend to be 3rd party with questionable quality or even some defective official Sony ones which are now useless.

bread's done
Back