PSP Firmware 6.20 Announced - Digital Comics Reader & Free Comic Codes

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/11/psp-firmware-v6-20-update/

Hi everyone, PSP (PlayStation Portable) firmware update (v6.20) will be available later this evening so we wanted to give you a quick preview of what to expect.
  • Digital Comics ReaderPlayStation Network Digital Comics is a new service launching in December. It will allow you to download hundreds of classic and new comics from the PlayStation Store and read them page by page or frame by frame on your PSP system. Firmware update (v6.20) includes the Digital Comics reader application, which you’ll find under a new section called “Extras” on the XMB. Please note, the comic reader is an additional download; once you’ve loaded (v6.20) onto your system, simply click on the comic reader icon under “Extras” to download it to your PSP. In addition, you’ll be able to try out a free digital comic sample from the service soon. Visit www.playstationcomics.com for more information.
  • Export video/photo playlists – This is a new feature that allows you to export your video and photo playlists from your PC to your PSP system through Media Go. Download the latest version of Media Go (v1.3) for this and a few additional enhancements.
A full video walkthrough of Digital Comics will be available soon. Don’t forget, PS3 firmware update 3.1 is also set to go live this evening.
Almost forgot that the Comic Reader was supposed to be out this fall, so I guess we can expect the comics to be coming soon to the store.

Edit: To let people get a feel for how the comic reader works and what to expect when it officially launches, they've released a few promotional codes that can be used by anyone. The only catch is that you must redeem these codes on your PSP, not your PS3 or Media Go, and if you encounter an error just as the comic finishes downloading, try this. The codes are:

EC2N-9HBR-HJD6 (Transformers: All Hail Megatron #1)
63N8-R2BF-9E4D (Aleister Arcane #1)
FF3N-H7B6-M2JF (Astro Boy: Movie Adaptation #1)
724K-A4BG-JLD7 (Star Trek Year Four: The Enterprise Experiment #1)

Thanks to tyhana for rounding up the first three codes. It seems that they are probably only for US accounts.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Media Go update lets it check for PSP updates and can download the latest firmware and put it on your memory stick for you.

Edit: Here's what the new Media Go update adds:

• The following additional devices from Sony Ericsson are supported: Xperia™ X10, U5, and J10. Please note: Sony Ericsson phones sold in Japan are not supported.
  • Bonus digital copy from purchased DVD or Blu-ray Discs can be transferred to PSP™ (PlayStation®Portable) systems.
  • Comics purchased through the PlayStation®Store can be transferred to PSP™ systems (requires PSP™ Update version 6.20).
  • Video and photo playlists can be transferred to PSP™ systems (requires PSP™ Update version 6.20).
  • Media Go can check for PSP™ Updates and copy them to PSP™ systems.
  • The new Downloads view can be used to monitor the status and manage the progress of downloadable content.
  • An Advanced Transfer option provides customized encoding options for transferring media to a device.
  • Control playback and see transfer progress of Media Go in the Windows® 7 taskbar.
  • A new reel has been added to the large-screen view to make it easier to quickly navigate your media.

The Digital Comic Reader is a beefy feature, as it'll require about 1 GB of memory stick space to install it. It's an optional thing like the others they've added (SensMe and Internet Radio), though it does inhabit an Extras tab on the XMB.

Can someone please tell me how the digital copy transfers work?? Do they now show up in MediaGo even if they're in the WMV format?? I have been hesitant to redeem my digital copies, but really need to as most seem to expire Jan of 2010. I would love to make sure I can get them onto my PSP...

That's great and all, but damn, it takes like 2 hours to convert a movie thru there instead of straight copying it to the folder if you handbrake'd it..

[quote name='Homerun17']Ummmmm.........Its one MB on mine[/QUOTE]

Same, very small file, expected to be bigger. Perhaps Frisky got wrong information or read the file properties wrong.

724K-A4BG-JLD7

Here's a promotional code to get a free comic for the comic reader, which is a Star Trek comic that takes up about 30 MB. You need to redeem it on your PSP and not a PS3 or Media Go for it to work.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']724K-A4BG-JLD7

Here's a promotional code to get a free comic for the comic reader, which is a Star Trek comic that takes up about 30 MB. You need to redeem it on your PSP and not a PS3 or Media Go for it to work.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Frisky just redeemed the code.

There are 4 active codes for free comics:

And the one Frisky posted 724K-A4BG-JLD7 (Star Trek Year Four: The Enterprise Experiment #1)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='tyhana']There are 4 active codes for free comics:

And the one Frisky posted 724K-A4BG-JLD7 (Star Trek Year Four: The Enterprise Experiment #1)[/QUOTE]

Pity... I don't think these codes work in the UK PSN store, I tried the Star Trek one and it didn't work so I figured the others didn't. It's a damn shame because I was looking forward to seeing how the comics turned out.

I'm having trouble downloading these comics, I've entered the download codes and they pop right up in the store, though as soon as I'm done downloading one of them it says that "The download failed (8010A12E)".

I got Firmware 6.20 and got the Digital Comics reader too, Am I missing something?

The Comics software seems to be really nice. Depending on the price I may want to pick up some comics at one time or another or just hope they have a few decent free ones. Reading them is actually quite easy thanks to that auto flow feature. I really enjoyed the Star Trek one and the Aleister Arcane one. I would have liked Astro Boy if it didn't come out as a scene by scene of the movie.

6.20? I've taken a break lately and using the iPod Touch for games and surfing. Probably nothing earth shattering like this comic reader. Umm, yeah I needed that. (no offense to those who care to read comics on the PSP).

[quote name='Hibiwa']6.20? I've taken a break lately and using the iPod Touch for games and surfing. Probably nothing earth shattering like this comic reader. Umm, yeah I needed that. (no offense to those who care to read comics on the PSP).[/QUOTE]
It's actually really good. I'm not a huge fan of comics/manga but (especially for free) I'd definitely read it on here. You might like it more than you think. Plus these codes won't last for long and you might as well get them while you still can.

I'll fire up the charger and try it out then. Free is free. Hope the codes will still be valid by the time I have it updated.

I think the codes are valid until December 16th.

In a slightly unrelated note, here are the codes I found for other regions. I don't know firsthand if they work. I believe they are for the Transformer comic.

UK:
A8D2-KMBF-JKE4

AUSTRALIA:
J8G5-MPBP-9D55

IRELAND:
E324-CGBK-8T8G

SOUTH AFRICA:
4R9A-AMB9-QR9M

NEW ZEALAND:
FFBT-9NBG-Q3NL

bread's done
Back