PSP has some good games. Just throwing that out there.

TimPV3

CAGiversary!
Feedback
65 (98%)
I was feeling phazed by comments on Kotaku. You know the ones, PSP has no games, all ports, the usual. I decided to go to IGN, and noticed some numbers.

PSP has had 14 games score a 9.0 or higher.

DS has had 11.

PSP has had 49 games score an 8.0 or higher. Only 5 were straight ports.

DS has had 43. 1 was an N64 port, 5 were the same fucking game.

Discuss. Riot. Whatever. It just amazes me how this system is so neglected, it's like it's 2000 and the Dreamcast is being fucked over once again.

What a retarded thread. Period. You can rationalize all you want, the PSP definitely lacks in worthwhile games. Also, who the hell goes and makes up their mind by scores/reviews? That's simply idiotic. I don't go by IGN's scores and I don't go by anyone else's either. I'll take their opinion into account, but it doesn't decide for me what games are good or bad. There's a huge amount of DS games that I enjoy that didn't score high 9 or even come close, yet they're still good games like Lost in Blue (haven't tried 2 yet). There are plenty of less then 9 games that are great that I'm not even going to mention. I own a PSP and the thing collects dust. The only two games I have for it that I enjoy are ports. Tekken 5: DR (this should have been on the PS2 or as a GH fucking Namco, still it's portable so that's a great bonus) and Valkyrie Profile (I love this RPG). I bought Power Stone Collection thinking it would be a great game, and it is, but the loading times suck as they do on a lot of PSP games and I'm thinking of selling it, but I love the game so much that I don't know.

Edit: For some reason the OP reminds me of that All I want for Christmas is a PSP stooge with his custom title and this PSP rant.

What a retarded post. Period. You can rationalize all you want, the PSP definitely is not lacking in worthwhile games. Also, who the hell ignores scores/reviews? That's simply idiotic.

I think there are quite a few good games on the PSP, I use mine quite a bit these days.

I think where the console suffers is the design, it's not easily portable i.e. it won't fit in your pocket but I suppose it needs to be the size it is to accomodate all the tech and the screen (which looks amazing).

The other problem I have with it is the woefull analogue "stick", I was thinking about getting Street Fighter Alpha but what puts me off is knowing how much playing it with that stupid stick is gonna suck.

I'll admit my PSP was gathering dust for a while and I came very close to selling it, but now the games have dropped in price I'm starting to use it a lot more. $40 for a handheld game is a joke but now I can pick up games like Katamari, Pirates and Ultimate Ghouls and Ghosts for less than $20, it seems pretty good.

PSP clearly has better games than the DS... and honestly you get more for your money... ds games are 29.99 / 34.99, you can pay the same price of psp games; plus Sony don't mind having a greatest hits line. DS games hardly ever price drop.

The DS has about 10x more games that appeal to me than the PSP does. This whole point is pure opinion and not objective fact, so it would be wise to add a "to me" before the first period in the title.

I'm glad you enjoy your PSP. Just don't imply that someone is somehow wrong by saying there's precious few games worth their time on the machine.

:rofl: fanboys trying to justify their purchase to other people. if you like games on the PSP then good for you. If you like games on the DS good for you. Who the fuck cares what other people like, fucking A.

OP, I hope when you violated the rotting horse carcass, you at least did it in some kind of amusing and unique way.

Like maybe you were singing "Satisfaction" by the Rolling Stones and had a crown made of Fourth of July sparklers.

I have a love hate relationship with my PSP. If it wasn't for homebrew I may have sold off my second one. I don't feel as if the games aren't there and its actually nice to have a console game in your hands (even if its a port) sometimes(as I don't always have a lot of time to play at home).

The thing for me is the system just doesn't have a good feel to it. It's just clunky, the analog nub leaves a lot to be desired, the top triggers are annoying, and even the face buttons feel a little mushy. I don't like the whole UMD disc format as it doesn't seem right for a portable device.

Every time I play my PSP and go back to my DS I realize why I love the DS so much. It just feels right. As for the games...the DS is just providing a new experience hands down and most of the games are fun. They may not all offer the depth and length of some PSP titles but if I'm having fun then I don't give a shit. If I had to choose I'd take my DS in a heartbeat over the PSP.

If you look at the top 30 the PSP has several more games which are available in a much better form on consoles than the DS

PSP (14)
Ridge Racer
Burnout Legends
Virtua Tennis: World Tour
Sid Meier's Pirates!
MLB 06: The Show
Tony Hawk's Underground 2 Remix
X-Men Legends II: Rise of Apocalypse
OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast
WWE SmackDown! vs. RAW 2006
Winning Eleven: Pro Evolution Soccer 2007
The Warriors
Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee
MLB
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 06

DS (2)
Super Mario 64 DS
Tony Hawk's American Sk8land

I didn't include the SoCom's or the GTA's for the PSP; and didn't include Age of Empires, Trauma Center or Mario Kart DS for the DS as the handhelds versions are either different enough or better than the console version.

One can't argue effectively that the PSP has bad games, but one can argue there is no reason to buy some of the better games for the PSP as the console version is simply much better. Why would I play Ridge Racer, Xmen or Burnout on the handheld when I can play it on the console?

The PSP isn't a failure, its done quite well. I imagine if Sony makes another handheld it will be even better. But Sony has to realize that a handheld system shouldn't be just a scaled down version of a console. A handheld should offer some unique twist that one can't get on consoles. Nintendo has realized this and it why their handhelds are so successful. By making the GBA so easy and cheap to develop for; it became the system developers were willing to release games with some innovative twists and pretty much the only platform with regular releases of 2D games. The DS with the two screens, touch screen, microphone and low development costs again allows developers to experiment and try out new ideas.

They're both good systems, and both have great games.

I own more games for the DS than PSP, but I use my PSP more for homebrew apps.

If you think the PSP doesn't have any good games? You're a fool (hiccupleftovers)

Only 4 PSP games from 14 games that i liked.
Ridge Racer
Sid Meier's Pirates!
OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast
Winning Eleven: Pro Evolution Soccer 2007

[quote name='dallow']
If you think the PSP doesn't have any good games? You're a fool (hiccupleftovers)[/quote]
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH!

BURNINATE!

dang, i best be watchin where i step on this here internets...

[quote name='AshesofWake']:rofl: fanboys trying to justify their purchase to other people. if you like games on the PSP then good for you. If you like games on the DS good for you. Who the fuck cares what other people like, fucking A.[/QUOTE]

Most "fanboys" care what other people like, and sometimes try to convince people a product is worthwhile because if systems sell well, more/better games are made for it, and if games sell well, developers make sequels. So thats probably why people care...imo

[quote name='Sleepkyng']OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH!

BURNINATE!

dang, i best be watchin where i step on this here internets...[/quote]

I be a terror!

PSP does, yet there are too many people who refuse to believe that or just won't even try many of the best PSP games. IMO, PSP has the best game releases this year (over every console and handheld). I own 51 PSP games and love all. There's over 100 good games on PSP IMO.
[quote name='jkam']I have a love hate relationship with my PSP. If it wasn't for homebrew I may have sold off my second one. I don't feel as if the games aren't there and its actually nice to have a console game in your hands (even if its a port) sometimes(as I don't always have a lot of time to play at home).

The thing for me is the system just doesn't have a good feel to it. It's just clunky, the analog nub leaves a lot to be desired, the top triggers are annoying, and even the face buttons feel a little mushy. I don't like the whole UMD disc format as it doesn't seem right for a portable device.

Every time I play my PSP and go back to my DS I realize why I love the DS so much. It just feels right. As for the games...the DS is just providing a new experience hands down and most of the games are fun. They may not all offer the depth and length of some PSP titles but if I'm having fun then I don't give a shit. If I had to choose I'd take my DS in a heartbeat over the PSP.[/QUOTE]
No, it's because you're just a Nintendo fanboy. Every time I play my DS, I get bored with it in 5 minutes or less, then go back to the PSP and play it for over an hour. The graphics aren't too good, sound quality is lacking, and the games are just too gimmicky. I want good graphics and high quality sound in my handheld games. The best games on PSP (Ratchet & Clank Size Matters, Daxter, etc.) just can't be matched on any handheld.

[quote name='daroga'] .... this whole point is pure opinion and not objective fact, so it would be wise to add a "to me" before the first period in the title.[/quote]
QFT Brother

I use my DS more as a GBA player than an actual DS. Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow doesn't keep my interest. SOCOM FTB is one of the few PSP games I've actually completed. Daxter doesn't look all that fun though everyone raves about it. I hated the XBox360 when it came out and thought it was a worthless piece of shizzle ... now it's my favorite console.

My point is that these are all options for ME; Ratchet and Clank games got EXCELLENT scores, but they never appealed to me no matter how much I played. People will have different views of everything ... some love the PSP, some hate it; some think the DS is a better system, some think the PSP is; some say portable gaming is a joke, others say it's the only way they game. People need to stop taking this shit so personally, its a fucking hobby! There are more important things in this world to argue about.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']PSP does, yet there are too many people who refuse to believe that or just won't even try many of the best PSP games. IMO, PSP has the best game releases this year (over every console and handheld). I own 51 PSP games and love all. There's over 100 good games on PSP IMO.

No, it's because you're just a Nintendo fanboy. Every time I play my DS, I get bored with it in 5 minutes or less, then go back to the PSP and play it for over an hour. The graphics aren't too good, sound quality is lacking, and the games are just too gimmicky. I want good graphics and high quality sound in my handheld games. The best games on PSP (Ratchet & Clank Size Matters, Daxter, etc.) just can't be matched on any handheld.[/QUOTE]

And you're a Sony fanboy. Your list of games you want on the PSP pretty much matches Gamestop's upcoming releases list. So before you go about brandishing your supposed logic, just stfu.

The PSP totally sucks - Gears of War looks way better than anything the PSP has to offer. Maybe they should put Gears of War on the PSP and then maybe I'll play it... nah, who am I kidding? It would be terrible on the PSP because there aren't any achievement points.

And the Sega Nomad has better games than both the PSP and DS.

Sony doesn't even market the PSP as a handheld gaming system, they market it as "Use the PSP's video abilities to find your girlfriend at an emo concert!" I hate both the PSP and DS, but I probably hate the DS slightly less.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Sony doesn't even market the PSP as a handheld gaming system, they market it as "Use the PSP's video abilities to find your girlfriend at an emo concert!" [/quote]

OMG!!! That ad is totally true! I used my PSP to find this totally hot chick I banged at an emo concert.... and by "hot chick" I mean my hand and by "emo concert" I mean emo concert.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']No, it's because you're just a Nintendo fanboy. Every time I play my DS, I get bored with it in 5 minutes or less, then go back to the PSP and play it for over an hour. The graphics aren't too good, sound quality is lacking, and the games are just too gimmicky. I want good graphics and high quality sound in my handheld games. The best games on PSP (Ratchet & Clank Size Matters, Daxter, etc.) just can't be matched on any handheld.[/quote]I find it odd that you can't find depth to games like Mario Kart DS, Sonic Rush, New Super Mario Bros., Castlevania, etc. No doubt there are gimmicky games on the DS and worthless games on the DS. But the DS is home to some of the most solid games ever made. But, to each his own, I suppose.

The problem with the PSP is not the games so much as the design and philosophy. The DS is designed for quick pick up and play. The PSP borrows far too much from the console world to be a viable handheld. When I'm sitting on the couch, controller in hand, I've got much fewer problems waiting for loading or having a game that requires a decent amount of time to play through. But load times on a handheld, on the go is a giant no-no. Likewise, the PSP games that I've played have just cause me to long for a real controller rather than the awkward design of the system.

A handheld works better when the games are designed for the control setup, not when the control setup try to poorly ape console games to allow poorly executed control.

[quote name='javeryh']OMG!!! That ad is totally true! I used my PSP to find this totally hot chick I banged at an emo concert.... and by "hot chick" I mean my hand and by "emo concert" I mean emo concert.[/quote] :applause:

he's a lawyer, folks, DO NOT fuck WITH THE LAW.

I think a better indication of which system has the better games would be the sales figures. Granted, it doesn't necessarily mean that the games are deep, just that they appeal to the masses, but I think it's still a more reliable picture than whatever numbers game sites/magazines give.

So which systems' games have sold more? I don't know the answer to this, but I thought I'd toss it up there as a slightly different way of approaching the argument.

For all the complaints about sites/magazines having their reviews up for sale, or whatever, it comes down to everytime I read a review about a game I like, it's rare that I ever agree with what they say. That, and sports games seem to get high scores, and then end up for sale, used, more than any other. *shrugs*

(I think GameInformer said that the plot of Xenosaga was inspired by Evangelion, or something.)

[quote name='zewone']Ah, more threads that bring nothing but arguments. That's what we need.[/QUOTE]

And a topic that already crops up twice a day to boot. Can't a mod kill this one already?

[quote name='The Mana Knight']
No, it's because you're just a Nintendo fanboy. Every time I play my DS, I get bored with it in 5 minutes or less, then go back to the PSP and play it for over an hour. The graphics aren't too good, sound quality is lacking, and the games are just too gimmicky. I want good graphics and high quality sound in my handheld games. The best games on PSP (Ratchet & Clank Size Matters, Daxter, etc.) just can't be matched on any handheld.[/QUOTE]

I didn't knock a single PSP game in my post. I own a PSP and I spoke about what I don't like about the system itself. Your response was to bash the DS along with its games...yet I'm the fanboy? I like the PSP games you mention here as well as my DS games. If you don't like DS games that's ok with me...its your preference. Personally, I have enjoyed quite a few. Now this doesn't mean I haven't enjoyed PSP games...I rank Syphon Filter Dark Mirror among my favorites. So maybe next time you can actually read a post and comment intelligently.

[quote name='jkam']So maybe next time you can actually read a post and comment intelligently.[/quote]Look at whom you quoted.

Then think about what you said.

Kinda silly, ain't it? ;)

Yeah, this thread isn't going to break any new ground, but I don't understand the reactions to what the OP is saying. He's not even really bashing the DS or saying the PSP is better per se. Just saying that if you look at the numbers, by golly the PSP actually has a lot of good games. I've said the same thing. (Yes, reviews aren't everything, but they're probably the best semi-objective way we have of judging how good a game is.)

[quote name='daroga']The DS has about 10x more games that appeal to me than the PSP does. This whole point is pure opinion and not objective fact, so it would be wise to add a "to me" before the first period in the title.

I'm glad you enjoy your PSP. Just don't imply that someone is somehow wrong by saying there's precious few games worth their time on the machine.[/QUOTE]
Of course it is based on opinion. No one is saying otherwise. All the OP is trying to say is that this whole "the PSP has no good games" zeitgeist is not really based in fact. (Keep in mind that most of the people saying this do not say "to me, the PSP has no games I like" -- they usually say "the PSP sucks" or "it doesn't have any good games." So if you're going to insist that people specify that they are only talking about their opinions, talk to the PSP bashers as well.

[quote name='Rasen']I think a better indication of which system has the better games would be the sales figures. Granted, it doesn't necessarily mean that the games are deep, just that they appeal to the masses, but I think it's still a more reliable picture than whatever numbers game sites/magazines give.[/quote]
Sales are a great way of determining how commercially successful a game or system is, but a horrible way of determining the quality of the game (especially as quality is a subjective term). I would never even consider buying a Madden game because I hate football, but there were people *paying money* to view video previews of the damn game last year, and it always tops the charts.

Personally (and yes this is my opinion) I have yet to find a DS game that I really like. There are quite a few that I can appreciate, but none that have really grabbed my attention. The PSP on the other hand, does have a number of games that I think are exceptional, including Lumines, Daxter, the GTA games, Lego Star Wars, LocoRoco, Gurumin, Burnout Legends, Wipeout Pure, Me and My Katamari, Disgaea Portable, Killzone: Liberation (and these are just my favorites among the games I own -- there are a lot more good ones out there). Does that mean that the PSP is better? To me it is. To many others it is not, but the frustrating thing is that I get the impression that a lot of people blindly accept the idea that the PSP has no good games, without even really looking into the situation. I think that's what the OP is trying to communicate here. The PSP has some truly fun great games!

[quote name='icruise']Of course it is based on opinion. No one is saying otherwise. All the OP is trying to say is that this whole "the PSP has no good games" zeitgeist is not really based in fact.[/QUOTE]

Well, this is contradictory, and one of the reasons this stupid topic keeps cropping up, never to be resolved; so when IS "system X has no good games" based in fact? Is it a "fact" the Xbox had no good games? Is it a "fact" the N64 had no good games? Is it a "fact" the Sega CD had no good games? Are these statements just opinion, and should ALL be disregarded as such, or is there an element of truth in it if it becomes the general perception, which should ALSO be considered across the board? You can't have it both ways.

It's not contradictory at all. I'm simply saying:

1. Any statements about the relative quality of games are opinions, therefore the idea that the PSP has no good games is not based in fact.

2. Even if you agree with the commonly accepted idea that reviews are a good way of judging the quality of games, it's still not based in fact, since there are a lot of well-reviewed PSP games.

So no matter how you look at it, there is no scenario that I can think of where "the PSP has no good games" is a true statement. Does that make sense?

I think all of us are tired of the same argument againts the psp. It has no games, they are ports, the system is to expensive.

Every time there is a story about the psp it is accompanied by these same comments. Why do people even care at this point.

Here's something I thought for myself.

DS has a few games that go on my all-time favorite, take on a deserted island list.

PSP doesn't, but I've had lots of fun beating many of those games.

Then again, they were all Nintendo titles....
Nintendo is sooo good.

[quote name='daroga']I find it odd that you can't find depth to games like Mario Kart DS, Sonic Rush, New Super Mario Bros., Castlevania, etc. No doubt there are gimmicky games on the DS and worthless games on the DS. But the DS is home to some of the most solid games ever made. But, to each his own, I suppose.

The problem with the PSP is not the games so much as the design and philosophy. The DS is designed for quick pick up and play. The PSP borrows far too much from the console world to be a viable handheld. When I'm sitting on the couch, controller in hand, I've got much fewer problems waiting for loading or having a game that requires a decent amount of time to play through. But load times on a handheld, on the go is a giant no-no. Likewise, the PSP games that I've played have just cause me to long for a real controller rather than the awkward design of the system.

A handheld works better when the games are designed for the control setup, not when the control setup try to poorly ape console games to allow poorly executed control.[/QUOTE]

I seem to have a habit of getting the whole damn forum closed when I post.. so in the most non fanboy sounding way I can sound... The psp borrowing from the console isn't necessarily a bad thing... in contrast the Wii is borrowing from the DS (heavily) but the Wii is doing well. ITs all about the total package... with price being the most important.

What I don't understand is why people always get their panties all twisted up about threads like this. If you don't think the PSP has any good games, just post it and move on. Or you could try a new argument and say that the PSP just isn't for you. You could say that after 2 years, Sony still doesn't really know how to market their handheld. You could compare the PSP to the Xbox and realize that Sony is just preparing for the next handheld generation. Instead, we get bunch of effin babies yellin about how their DS are so much better and anyone that would say otherwise is a Sony fanboy. These thread continue to exist becuase five million people always post "SONY suxxors the fatties. DS rulez 4 evar!!!" Get over it. Get both systems and enjoy the great games that they both offer. I'm personally looking forward to what the PSP's releasing this year but I won't overlook some of the great DS games also.

Well the ds donesn't have any good baseball games so that means it totally sucks as a handheld.:) I mean if you have a DS and want to play some sports i guess you are SOL. And if you want to have a good racing game other than Kart racing and you have DS there are no good games on the DS. If you want a good action game like Syphon Filter, MGS PO, or Chili con Carnage and you have a DS I Guess there are no good games. If you want a good fighting game like tekken, dark stalkers, street fighter and you have a DS I guess there are no good games. And if you want to play 2 awesome Mega Man games and you have a DS I guess there are no good games.

PSP has a lot of great games.

People are just ignorant and stupid.

Yea, it has ports, but so does the DS... not everyone in the world has played every game to 100%. The port argument is just so...blah.

I won't go crazy about it like Mana Knight and read off every sub par game is being totally awesome and a 10 / 10 experience, but PSP has just as many good games as the DS, imo.

I gotta admit, to call the DS "gimmicky" is ignorant... you're just playing the wrong fucking games.

Threads were made for arguing... I don't think we need to insult each other, but if you think the DS is great and the PSP is crap then post it and lets talk about it... I think the DS needs and deserves some players choice games(greatest hits), and the psp needs more colors, and a redesign... something... yeah its got games, but that just started, and there's nothing else, the same psp since day one... redesign w/ hard drive and a linux operating system for homebrew...

[quote name='Thomas96']I think the DS needs and deserves some players choice games(greatest hits)[/quote]This I agree with 100%. The PSP is already following in the PS2's footsteps and get value software out there fast. The fact that Mario 64 DS is still $30-$35 is insane. I know Nintendo can make more money off of having games that still sell being full MSRP, but I think they'd make more money in volume if they cut the prices a bit.

Seeing Daxter hit GH status and the unit itself get a price cut makes the whole thing more appealing to me. It's still too expensive for the games I know I'll like (Mega Man PU, Castlevania Rondo) or the ones I want to try (Daxter, Lumines), but at least I know I could get some games for $20 new, maybe even $15 used. But the DS? Even billion-iteration Nintendogs is still full price as far as I know. Yikes.

Nintendo always drags their feet on lowering prices. I think I read somewhere that Nintendo might do away completely with value prices. Basically, they'll set the price and it will sit there until all copies are sold. If this is the case, you might as well buy on release date. With PSP games, there's no reason to buy until it hits $20 unless you think it's going to super rare.

Christ, I go away for two weeks and it seems like everyone is sick of having this conversation over and over again. Where's your zeal guys? There can be only one video game playing machine!

[quote name='furyk']Christ, I go away for two weeks and it seems like everyone is sick of having this conversation over and over again. Where's your zeal guys? There can be only one video game playing machine![/QUOTE]

I just use the power of my imagination.

ITS POWER LEVEL IS OVER 9000

THAT'S WHY MORE BITS THAN YOUR PUNY NES HAS

I rule you.

[quote name='depascal22']Nintendo always drags their feet on lowering prices. I think I read somewhere that Nintendo might do away completely with value prices. Basically, they'll set the price and it will sit there until all copies are sold. If this is the case, you might as well buy on release date. With PSP games, there's no reason to buy until it hits $20 unless you think it's going to super rare.[/QUOTE]

I've never spent more than $20 on any PSP game, and I've easily owned (and played but later sold) pretty much every awesome PSP game. Hell, I just got Metal Gear Portable Ops and Capcom Puzzle World for $20 and $10, respectively.

Just waiting on a Ratchet and Clank price drop / clearance / whatever. If these games were $30 out of the gate I'd buy A LOT more, but $40, imo, is pushing it.

[quote name='Roufuss']I've never spent more than $20 on any PSP game, and I've easily owned (and played but later sold) pretty much every awesome PSP game. Hell, I just got Metal Gear Portable Ops and Capcom Puzzle World for $20 and $10, respectively.

Just waiting on a Ratchet and Clank price drop / clearance / whatever. If these games were $30 out of the gate I'd buy A LOT more, but $40, imo, is pushing it.[/quote]

Hehe, same for me. Every PSP purchase has been $20 or less.
I've had to be more clever with my DS purchases though to get them lower.

i'm guessing half the people with DS's and PSP's dont even play them on the go the majority of the time...like me :)

the psp has great games, but if you aren't going to play on the go, then you might as well stick with the ps2

i had a psp, but traded it with a bunch of games for a 360...it was cool, but the games seemed to familiar to my ps2 games...i got a ds lite later on and since i didnt have a gamecube, i've enjoyed the ds much more b/c its games bring something different to the table

if i didnt have my ps2, i would definitely have kept my psp though

bread's done
Back