PSP MGS peace walker CE new, selling as used 17.99

JediKiller24

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
In a strange twist for Gamestop:

I was in trading in some games, and noticed a PSP Metal Gear Solid Peace walker CE on the back counter. I asked about it, and the employee waiting on me told me that they hadn't sold well, and they were being taken out of their system, so they had this one that was still new and sealed, but tagged with a used price sticker of 17.99. Since it's a game that's been on my list of 'maybe someday when I find a deal, I'll pick it up' games, I bought it. And being tagged as used, I got the PUR 10% discount, so $16.19.

I'm so used to getting opened/gutted games sold as new, I thought it was novel to get a new sealed game sold as used...

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't tell the people in te Deus Ex thread about that. They'll call you a traitor to the cause. Not that they actually have a cause.

[quote name='Ziv']Don't tell the people in te Deus Ex thread about that. They'll call you a traitor to the cause. Not that they actually have a cause.[/QUOTE]

I guess I missed the memo? Saw there was an issue with Deus Ex, saw it was only pc, and thus of no concern to me and haven't paid any more attention. But I wish them well in their endeavour....

Gamestop basically had their employees open up their PC versions and throw out a coupon with an OnLive registration code, and then reseal it. But, not to derail this thread. Good deal for a pretty good game.

Not that unusual. When Gamestop gets rid of a game that didn't sell, they get credit back from the publisher and convert the game to used. This happens quite often on CE's. If you get friendly with your local store, they will often hold them for you if no one else at the store wants it.

Now that I think of it, I got a pretige edition of Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 that was marked as used even though it was unopened.

I wish I had found a peace walker like that.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Not that unusual. When Gamestop gets rid of a game that didn't sell, they get credit back from the publisher and convert the game to used. This happens quite often on CE's. If you get friendly with your local store, they will often hold them for you if no one else at the store wants it.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Ziv']Now that I think of it, I got a pretige edition of Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 that was marked as used even though it was unopened.

I wish I had found a peace walker like that.[/QUOTE]

a GS manager said you could tell whether a 'used' game had been converted from a new one by checking the 6-digit(?) number on the price tag: if the first digit is a '9', then the game was 'converted'. (sorry no pix of price tag handy, so going by memory.) so i randomly pulled some used game cases and took a look: they *all* started w/'9'! no way they all could have been new, right? my test was conducted on ~20 psp titles @ one store. what say ye, CAGs? is there a way to tell? or was this manager just saying junk? TIA.

Like a month ago I went in GS asking if they had any new copies of enslaved, and they know me, and he said, no, but we've got something better. Lol New game at used price + 10% discount = winning. Get friendly with your gs lol

All GS item numbers are six digits long. All used item numbers start with 9. The next 2 digits are the category number.

In the case of new items, the first two digits are the category number. The used category numbers are not the same as the new ones.

Ex. 952xxx is a used XBox 360 game.
20xxxx is a new XBox 360 game
18xxxx is new DS
17xxxx is new 3DS

I don't remember them all, just look at the price tags or your receipt and you should be able to figure it out.

There is no way of knowing if an item was converted from the price tag.

bread's done
Back