PSP n00b Questions

PawnTakesKing

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
I've had my PSP Slim for about a week now and I am loving it. Being a Sony virgin, however, has prompted some questions that I hope someone can answer.

1) Can anyone fill me in on how to get started with homebrew? Or at least point me to a website that has walkthroughs/tutorials? I don't even know what version firmware I have or even how to check. I'd love to get some emulators on this thing.

2) Will any video out cable work or do I have to get a specific Sony-branded one? I have a video out cable for my iPod...I wonder if that will work.

3) What cases and screen protectors would you recommend?

4) Any other cool stuff the PSP can do?

[quote name='PawnTakesKing']
1) Can anyone fill me in on how to get started with homebrew? Or at least point me to a website that has walkthroughs/tutorials? I don't even know what version firmware I have or even how to check. I'd love to get some emulators on this thing.[/quote]

Getting the proper firmware in on the slim is kind of a pain in the ass.
http://forums.maxconsole.net/showthread.php?t=78542
This method requires a psp fat to make the modified battery and magic memory stick. Check craigslist, make a posting asking for help if you don't see a local modder offering his services if you don't know a friend with a psp fat. Anything over $20.00 is kind of a rip off, it takes 5 seconds to mod once the battery and stick is made.
http://forums.maxconsole.net/showthread.php?t=81424
This method requires a psp fat battery and some soldering.

Once that is done the sky is the limit.

3) What cases and screen protectors would you recommend?
[/quote]
There is already a pretty big thread that goes into cases
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153304
The hori seems the best choice for now. Hori screen protector is also the only way to go.

4) Any other cool stuff the PSP can do?[/quote]

Most of the interesting stuff requires modified firmware. The GPS addon seems fun to me.

The cables you can now find at any game retailer, i found mine at Gamecrazy for $15. And homebrew.....You need to use the pandora battery (I have 3 Sets of Pandora Batteries and Magic Memory Sticks, and I will send to CAG forum members) and memory stick comonation to install custom firmware 3.71 m33

Once I installed firmware 3.40oe-a, the psp became a top 3 system of all time to me,sooo many cool things you can do. my advide is to follow the instruction perfectly when installing the firmware,yo dont wanna brick your psp.

Xrazor, can you please PM how much you can ship the Pandora/magic stick for?

Once you have the Pandora and magic, to get back to currect firmware, just put in your regular battery?

I don't understand the entire Pandora battery method.

[quote name='decon']Xrazor, can you please PM how much you can ship the Pandora/magic stick for?

Once you have the Pandora and magic, to get back to currect firmware, just put in your regular battery?

I don't understand the entire Pandora battery method.[/QUOTE]

Same here. So there's no software-only solution for firmware on the slim right now?

[quote name='decon']Xrazor, can you please PM how much you can ship the Pandora/magic stick for?

I don't understand the entire Pandora battery method.[/quote]

Not sure I understand your question. You pop the pandora battery and magic memory stick in, turn on psp, hit x to install, wait for psp to power off on its own, and you now have modified firmware. You just swap the pandora battery and magic memory stick for your original psp battery when done. Any future updates to the firmware won't need the pandora battery.

[quote name='PawnTakesKing']Same here. So there's no software-only solution for firmware on the slim right now?[/quote]

No there isn't. All methods currently require the pandora battery. You can hope for a future game exploit but I wouldn't count on it happening soon if at all.

[quote name='Xrazor']The cables you can now find at any game retailer, i found mine at Gamecrazy for $15. And homebrew.....You need to use the pandora battery (I have 3 Sets of Pandora Batteries and Magic Memory Sticks, and I will send to CAG forum members) and memory stick comonation to install custom firmware 3.71 m33[/quote]

Do they have to be a "for the psp" type of cable? Or is there some generic video out that works for lots of things type of cable?

[quote name='Gara']Not sure I understand your question. You pop the pandora battery and magic memory stick in, turn on psp, hit x to install, wait for psp to power off on its own, and you now have modified firmware. You just swap the pandora battery and magic memory stick for your original psp battery when done. Any future updates to the firmware won't need the pandora battery.
[/quote]

How do you switch it back to the most current firmware to play new games?

Also, what are some cool homebrew software that you use most? I saw the list at psp-hacks.com didn't see anything too interesting.

[quote name='decon']How do you switch it back to the most current firmware to play new games?

Also, what are some cool homebrew software that you use most? I saw the list at psp-hacks.com didn't see anything too interesting.[/quote]

You can just run the update for the official firmware and it will install. New modified firmware patches come out all the time so I doubt it would become a huge issue.

Depends on what psp we are talking about. I play old emulated CPS1 and CPS2 arcade games on my slim the most. Games like Alien Vs Predator, Dungeons and dragons, etc. PSX games come in a close second. GBA games are also great on the slim. Hard to play the games on my micro after using the psp screen.

SNES on the psp fat is pretty much perfect. Great sound and speed. It's not quite to that level yet on the psp slim.

Just a question, but what do you lose when you update to the latest firmware?
I just got my PSP today, and its going through its initial charge. Just wondering if its worth a lot of hassle for whatever you lose.
And its a PSP Slim.

[quote name='Synergy']Well, XRazor hasn't responded to PMs. Anyone else offering pandora set ups? Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

i can make them as long as you provide the MS and battery and shipping if you are out of town.

Out of curiosity, when you backup a UMD game to your memory stick...

1. How big are the games generally?

2. Does it improve on the battery life?

3. How long does it take to backup to the memory stick?

[quote name='decon']Out of curiosity, when you backup a UMD game to your memory stick...

1. How big are the games generally?

2. Does it improve on the battery life?

3. How long does it take to backup to the memory stick?[/quote]

1. Varies. From a little over 1/10 a gig to over a gig. Generally, they fall somewhere near the median. Here's an incomplete but helpful list:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/430790

You'll need a big memstick if you plan on backing up multiple games though.

2. It does, but I have no idea by how much. Probably not an emormous difference.

3. Um, from what I remember, should take less than 20 mins for the whole process, including compression.

bread's done
Back