PSP Owners: Your Opinion on PSP as a Media Player

Walt Jay

CAGiversary!
Feedback
174 (100%)
In the near future, I plan on getting a new MP3/Video player. Rather than getting another iPod (or burning $600 on an iPhone), I am considering a PSP (especially if a new design is out by the end of the year) to use for playing MP3s, watching some videos, and *gasp* play the occassional PSP game.

So my question for all you PSP owners out there, what is your opinion on the PSP as a media player? I understand the battery life on the PSP is pretty bad when playing games, but is that the case when playing music as well? As far as the software, is it easily to load music/videos?

I'd appreciate any opinions you'd like to share.

Thanks!

With the new firmware, when you format a memory card, it creates music and video folders- nearly anything you throw at, it plays.

I use mine everyday. I like PSP games, but sometimes, I just want to watch a bit on Anime, or listen to the CAGcast; for that it's great. If you're not playing it for more than 4 and a half hours a day, you should have any problem with the battery.

[quote name='DesertEagleXIX']With the new firmware, when you format a memory card, it creates music and video folders- nearly anything you throw at, it plays.

I use mine everyday. I like PSP games, but sometimes, I just want to watch a bit on Anime, or listen to the CAGcast; for that it's great. If you're not playing it for more than 4 and a half hours a day, you should have any problem with the battery.[/QUOTE]
Don't you have to convert the videos to a specific format first? If not, what file formats does it play?

I love it. I use it as an MP3 player and for movies/tv shows. I take it with me everywhere I go since my ipod broke, and I think its better than my old ipod in every aspect. It also doesn't hurt that I personally think it has fantastic games released for it.

I used the PSP Media Manager software and it converts everything I throw at it. You are going to get alot of people that don't even own PSP's to pick horrible, just because the Sony hate here is strong.

It's pretty good. Besides having to convert video files to mp4 it works well.

And anyone who votes horrible should post and say why they did, not just be assholes and do it because they don't like the PSP.

I just don't like the fact that the psp only plays mpeg 4 video, wish it would play avi, mpeg 2, divx, etc.

PSP Video 9 is free online and can quickly and easily change videos to PSP format. It can even transfer files directly to your PSP.

Not to thread-jack, but could someone point me in the right direction on how to rip/convert DVDs onto my computer and then put them onto my PSP? I have DVDFab Decryptor and PSP Video 9, but man I am bad with this stuff.

[quote name='primetime']PSP Video 9 is free online and can quickly and easily change videos to PSP format. It can even transfer files directly to your PSP.[/QUOTE]

its cool...and I have it.. but I dont like having to change files to a different format.

I really love the PSP as a game machine (and for homebrew) but the size, limited capacity, controls, and issues with formats make it pretty mediocre as a media player. I'd really recommend an iPod over the PSP. The biggest problem is just getting content onto the PSP. iTunes really makes managing movies and music easy, which can't be said for the PSP.

Edit: Of course, if you can find a bunch of those $5 UMD movies that you like, you might be able to just use those and not worry about converting movies or putting them on a memory stick. That makes the PSP a bit more attractive.

Word is that the 1.6 update coming to the PS3 at the Euro launch next week will include the update that allows you to access the files on the HD from any hotspot via the PSP.

I have only used the PSP as a game machine. I never tried it for anything else (nor do I have any desire to do so).

I found the speakers lacking for music, and the playlist remedial at best, but that was on 1.5. The only video I've watched on it has been the Spiderman 2 UMD.

I don't really use my PSP as I feel dumb using a handheld at home and I rarely travel when I'm not the one driving. However, I will be using it to play some games this weekend on a trip to Bumfuck, Il.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I use it every day... it's been a huge lifesaver. The only dowside is its size. It'll all be good when the 2nd model comes with 8 gig flash memory.[/quote]

That's what I was thinking. Size isn't that big of deal since I always have my laptop bag for my daily work commute.

If the 2nd version is as good as the 1st version from a media player standpoint and it comes with 8GB of flash memory, I would definitely consider it. Of course, price is a factor as well. Maybe I could scoop up a version 1 PSP on the cheap once version 2 drops.

Thanks for all the input everyone.

Just slightly above average, it works for what it does, but all the minor issues it has bother me. I still use it as a media player though, more so than playing games now. I doubt it will ever come with 8gb built-in flash as that would raise it's price and keep out of range of the mainstream consumer.

The PSP's media features are great, and I use it as my MP3 player extensively. Solely as a music player, it's not brimming with features; the size is my only real complaint, though, especially since I always keep it in a Logitech PlayGear Pocket case. It's a pain to have to open up the case just to pause a track, so I don't carry it around as often as I'd like to...maybe when I get the official headphones w/ the remote control, that'll change. :)

While I'm lounging at home, I download several podcasts over the wireless using the RSS feature and listen/watch them on my PSP during any downtime I have. It's a nice touch that higher firmwares can take iPod-formatted MP4 video (320x240), too.

I haven't used it to watch movies all that much, but in the rare times that I did, it was a nice experience thanks to the gorgeous screen size. I'd definitely be interested in those $5 UMD movies if I didn't already own a majority of them on DVD.

one a related note, next weeks firmware will have advanced remote play... ie. whatever you have stored or connected to on your PS3 you can access from anywhere and watch or listen to on your PSP... nice

I said average; I used mine as the primary MP3 / WMA player for quite some time, but the thing is not the smallest device in the world. When I was out mowing the lawn it got somewhat cumbersome trying to find a place to store it where it wasn't bulging out.

From the stance of the video player, it does good, but it's such a pain in the ass to rip / convert movies to it. Granted it's a fire and forget process, it just, for me, seemed to take twice as long to rip the movie as it did to watch it. Plus with a 2Gb stick I could fit 3 movies on which I would only watch once then remove them.

As for a game player, I would say it's awesome. I don't think I've gone a month without being impressed with the capabilities of the system. If a redesign comes out, the two things I would want to see is a second analog stick and more RAM.

Where's the "I only play games on my PSP" option. I read the occasional e-book once in a blue moon, but my PSP is a game system first.

Horrible video format support, UMDs are annoying and have to load, small/expensive memory sticks, ghosting on the LCD, the screen which used to seem bright to me no longer does after seeing the DS Lite, iPod video, and Zune, too big to be a true portable MP3 player for working out, speakers are weak, it's heavy, and the battery sucks.

[quote name='icruise']That will be very nice. I just hope that it works with the 20GB models (no reason it shouldn't, but...).[/quote]

Only for the wireless models.... sorry.
I have a 20GB too and it's really the only loss.

Honestly after getting a DS Lite , I haven't used the PSP in months. Even then it was only to watch downloaded tv shows and stream video via Pimpstreamer. I haven't been following the PSP too closely, but just recently found out it can emulate PSX game (very well) and that has really breathed new life into it.

[quote name='dallow']Only for the wireless models.... sorry.
I have a 20GB too and it's really the only loss.[/QUOTE]
Do you know this for a fact? If so, why? They're both just connecting to the internet. Wireless should have nothing to do with it. If anything, a wired connection should be *better.*

[quote name='Chris in Cali']ghosting on the LCD, the screen which used to seem bright to me no longer does after seeing the DS Lite, iPod video, and Zune[/QUOTE]
Really? I've never seen anything I would call "ghosting" and the PSP also seems about as bright as those other devices to me.

I use my PSP in my car every day, it's hooked up to one of those tape players. When I'm at school, I just take the PSP and remote and put them in my pocket and hook them up to my headphones. It's cool listening to a song on my headphones and then getting in my car and blasting it on my (crappy) car speakers. I have a 2GB memory card and that holds about 400 songs and my game saves. I have a 1GB card with some movies on it.

[quote name='icruise']Really? I've never seen anything I would call "ghosting" and the PSP also seems about as bright as those other devices to me.[/QUOTE]

Play the Daxter demo for a few minutes you'll see plenty of ghosting.

Horrible:

MP3 player - Too big to actually be useful as an mp3 player.
Video - Could work but UMD movies were and are overpriced. Video conversion tools should be provided for free from Sony if you buy a PSP. Lack of of a really big storage format on the cheap hurts as well as the battery life.

[quote name='jkam']Play the Daxter demo for a few minutes you'll see plenty of ghosting.[/QUOTE]
I have the full game and didn't notice anything. Of course, it's possible that my standards are different than yours -- I still remember those crappy passive refresh LCD screens that were so common on PC laptops a few years ago. Now THAT was some ghosting!

I said average. It's great if you're really limited and in a jam to listen to music, but I just can't get into the music players controls, I don't like how you can't look at pictures and listen to music at the same time (on the official 3.0 Firmware atleast) video isn't bad if you know how to convert or have a program that'll do it easily for you. UMD is completely pointless though. It's size is too big for an average mp3 player, battery does suck but if you stream from the memory stick the majority of the time it won't be a problem as long as you can keep track of charging it. Very limited Mac support, and the memory sticks are still expensive regardless of how fast they dropped in price. Call me what you will, but I'd take my 3rd gen iPod over the PSP's music capabities anyday.

That said, if you are on a strict budget but somehow can't survive without a media player of some form, pick it up, you probably won't regret it. But if you can afford it get something to be your primary music player.

[quote name='icruise']Really? I've never seen anything I would call "ghosting" and the PSP also seems about as bright as those other devices to me.[/QUOTE]

Tekken DR and GTA:LCS were almost unplayable for me because of the ghosting. (I don't know about GTA:VCS, I skipped it because of how disappointed I was in LCS and figured it'd get released on the PS2 or maybe even the Wii at some point.)

[quote name='icruise']I have the full game and didn't notice anything. Of course, it's possible that my standards are different than yours -- I still remember those crappy passive refresh LCD screens that were so common on PC laptops a few years ago. Now THAT was some ghosting![/QUOTE]

To be honest I never really notice these things but on that game in particular it was very apparent. It was really annoying.

[quote name='dallow']Only for the wireless models.... sorry.
I have a 20GB too and it's really the only loss.[/quote]That has to be false. There's no reason to limit it, it shouldn't care how your PS3 is connected to the internet as long as it is.

bread's done
Back