PSP price rumors

if it uses polygons, $25 would be too much.

sprites rule, polys suck it. Suck it down, alien dolphin.

[quote name='DenisDFat']if it uses polygons, $25 would be too much.

sprites rule, polys suck it. Suck it down, alien dolphin.[/quote] ?
what are sprites?

$400+?? Most I've read is $299...which has been pretty much the starting price of any successful video game system. $400+ will NOT sell...I mean, look at the NGage...$300 for that piece of junk, and you saw how well THAT did...

[quote name='Death2Sanity']$400+?? Most I've read is $299...which has been pretty much the starting price of any successful video game system. $400+ will NOT sell...I mean, look at the NGage...$300 for that piece of junk, and you saw how well THAT did...[/quote] yea ngauge is even horrable as a stand alone cell phone. Have you seen hoe you have to hold it to use it. If you owned it youed be the laffin stock of the town

Yeah, it's already down to $200, AND they've got demos in the video game stores now...complete trash. Who told these guys that it would sell? Just a little market research would have told them how to fix it...

Well Sony said that they are not marketing to normal GBA users. Their equipment is not something you would take to the schoolyard, is one of their qoutes on it. It will be like a PDA type of thing, and from what other rumors are appearing they want to make a cell phone out of it too like the NGage. So I really think the price range will be 300-400+

I think this thing is going to flop because the price is way too high. Also the fact that they are using the business model of making money on hardware(as stated by SCEE pres. ) instead of on software is just dumb.

I work in a KB Toys. Parents are hesitant to buy their kids a GBA:SP for 99.99, cuz they know their kids are damn animals.

Parents are NOT going to sprng $300 bucks for a portable system.

That's why Sony is stressing that the PSP is not intended for kids. Which is where I believe is the biggest strenght portable systems have. The PSP will have a design which won't embarras adults if seen by playing it in public. Personally I like the design of the SP and I am not embarrassed to take it out in public, even playing it on base while waiting to be next for my haircut.
I just feel that their asking price, for a handheld is too much...I don't care about a PDA, I don't care about a cell phone addition...I just want a portable gaming system. Though playing media on it doesn't sound too bad...sort of can replace the portable DVD. Then the price might sound a bit to my liking, but as of right now, I think I will wait for price drops....if not I will just be playing the follow-up to the GBASP

I welcome any competition into the handheld market with open arms. I love the GBA SP already, but if someone else wants to come in and challenge it all the better. In the end the consumer will win and we will have more options and higher quality products. Too bad the Ngage bombed so hard or maybe Nintendo would have had to work a little harder instead of just resting on their laurels. :)

Sony said the price range would be "competitivly priced" within the range of $199.99-$299.99

Its power is better then dreamcast but short of ps2

i heard the price would vary depending on your configuration. basically you could customize it with features and software....like a pda.

If it's more than $199, I don't think it will do well. Even if it's going to be an all in one type device, I think most people will buy it for the gaming feature and won't went to spend more than that on a handheld gaming system.

[quote name='madmage']i heard the price would vary depending on your configuration. basically you could customize it with features and software....like a pda.[/quote]
ur thinking of the tapwave zodiak baciclay if psp is over 350 thats probably what im gonna get (hope you get the heads up sony) :wink:

Forgot to giv the site :shock: www.tapwave.com

Nintendo GB is gonna get owned by Sony PSP

PS2>NGC

M$XBOX>PS2>NGC

I got my first GB some time ago but GBs have sucked since dayone. They didny even have color when they first came out. And THE GRAPHS LOOKED LIKE CRAP. At least Atari Lynx and Game Gear had color. Only appeal Tendo has is to small children,veteran gamers who cant stop having draems about having Super Mario do their plumbing for them and people in Japan.

Its been rumored that XBOX plans to enter the handheld market with a hand held system of their own. Its also rumored that M$ plans to slash XBOXes price by creating a new smaller console much like that of the NGC but only cooler.XBOX sales should rise signifigantly if these arent just rumors and indeed plans.

I know I know...the thought of .M$ overpowering Sony is a bit rash being that Sony has sold over 70 million consoles world wide, but by the time 2004 is up people will put down their beefs with M$ and realize that M$ has created an excellent system with an excellent line up.

In the next generation of consoles Sony and Nintendo will not be able to wage war against the marketing muscle of M$ BILLIONS and internet message board FANBOYS. Combine those two forces with some good games like the up and coming Halo2, Ninja Gaiden and Fable then the choice will be obvious.

Sorry Tendo but the only sprite that I like comes in a can...or a bottle.

I am by no means a FANBOY

PLAY...DONT GET PLAYED

[quote name='jt2k3']I work in a KB Toys. Parents are hesitant to buy their kids a GBA:SP for 99.99, cuz they know their kids are damn animals.

Parents are NOT going to sprng $300 bucks for a portable system.[/quote]

I'm an adult gamer and I would not want to spend $199-$299 for a portable system.

I'll stick with my onyx GBA SP. If Nintendo releases a new portable system, I don't want it to be more than $99-$130.

[quote name='space_rover']Nintendo GB is gonna get owned by Sony PSP
[/quote]
Probably not they are hardly in the same market if the price and functionality rumors are true.
[quote name='space_rover']
PS2>NGC

M$XBOX>PS2>NGC
[/quote]
Okay if you say so.
I got my first GB some time ago but GBs have sucked since dayone. They didny even have color when they first came out. And THE GRAPHS LOOKED LIKE CRAP. At least Atari Lynx and Game Gear had color. [/quote]
Gameboys really didn't suck they happened to be at the right pricepoint and with the games to back it up despite the color disadvantage. I owned a game gear and loved it but its battery life killed it.

Only appeal Tendo has is to small children,veteran gamers who cant stop having draems about having Super Mario do their plumbing for them and people in Japan. [/quote]
Or the millions upon millions who have bought gameboys over the years, but keep you dellusions if it makes you happy.

Its been rumored that XBOX plans to enter the handheld market with a hand held system of their own. Its also rumored that M$ plans to slash XBOXes price by creating a new smaller console much like that of the NGC but only cooler.XBOX sales should rise signifigantly if these arent just rumors and indeed plans.[/quote]
Probably just rumors, lets wait until they actually say they are releasing a handheld or releasing a new smaller console like the GCN "only cooler."

In the next generation of consoles Sony and Nintendo will not be able to wage war against the marketing muscle of M$ BILLIONS and internet message board FANBOYS. Combine those two forces with some good games like the up and coming Halo2, Ninja Gaiden and Fable then the choice will be obvious. [/quote]

Every system has the next greatest games coming. For every Halo 2 there is a Metroid Prime 2, for every Fable there are about a million PS2 RPG's. I like the XBOX too but man you take it way too far. Unless Sony screws up they will still be ahead next gen.

I am by no means a FANBOY

PLAY...DONT GET PLAYED[/quote]

Actually you are 100% fanboy, stop riding Bill Gate's jock.

Okay but onto the actual topic, I really am unsure about the PSP, especially at the rumored price. I really wouldn't spend that much on a portable gaming system, and I don't want all the extras besides a gaming machine. Besides there is only so much graphical complexity you can fit on a screen so small.

[quote name='NintendoFanGirl']I don't even need to respond to space_rover's asinine comments, msdmoney handled it quite nicely.[/quote]

Yep, though I doubt that will have any effect.
In fact, I wouldn't be surpised if space rover types up an angry tirade attacking that, which includes the words WRONG, XBOX, FANBOY.
:twisted:

[quote name='space_rover']Only appeal Tendo has is to small children,veteran gamers who cant stop having draems about having Super Mario do their plumbing for them and people in Japan.
[/quote]

Do you have any idea how many children, obsessive gamers, and people living in Japan there are in this world? There are well over 100 million people in Japan alone, and I have no idea how many children and gamers there are in America. I'd say that if "Tendo" can successfully sell its products to a target audience that big, then they've made an incredibly good marketing move.

Anyhow, back on the original topic: Like most people here are saying, the PSP can't cost much more than the GBA SP if it wants to survive. Personally, I won't buy it at all unless it's that cheap and has several incredibly good games on it. Don't get me wrong, I love Playstation and I'm happy that there will be competition in the handheld market, but I don't really need more than one handheld system and I, personally, will be very sad when sprite graphics finally die.

Nintendo GB is gonna get owned by Sony PSP

PS2>NGC

M$XBOX>PS2>NGC

Yeah there Buddy, I want you to think about a few things here... If you have read the video game news instead of watching Bush, who you probally voted for because your an idiot than you would know that The gamecube pushed in front of the Xbox in the last few weeks of 2003.

Also Nintendo has announced their system, and we all know how nintendo is: they don't say anything about systems until a few months before the are released.

Remember Nintendo will now have 2 portable systems, the DS is rumored to have powers higher than that of the PSP and two screens, along with the usually "Nintendo" price range... meaning it's affordable. Therefore We need to wait and see what happens instead of listening to a washed-up idiots comments :p

Remember Nintendo will now have 2 portable systems, the DS is rumored to have powers higher than that of the PSP and two screens, along with the usually "Nintendo" price range... meaning it's affordable

I'd like to see the source that came from. From the tech I've heard on both, the PSP will be more powerful than than the DS... it will also be much more expensive. Just by looking at the tech specs we've seen, and the differences in the size of the software medium.. the medium size for the DS is listed in GIGABITS, NOT GIGABYTES.

Price will obviously be a huge issue... only hardcore tech junkies go and spend 400+ dollars on handheld devices.

Noone in their right mind would pay more than 300 for a handheld. $250 - 300 is already the magic number for selling a new system to the public, Sony knew this going into the PS2. The PSP will very likely not be more powerfull than the PS2 so it'd be rediculous to ask people to pay that much for it.

Best case scenerio:
Base PSP - $150 (plays games on mini disks far better graphics than a GBA and a bit better than PSone.)
Upgradeable moduals - $50-100 (things like MP3 players, phone attachments, bluetooth "thingys")

At most you end up paying 300 for a fully loaded PSP that sings, spinsplates, dances a jig and lets you play wireless multiplayer games across the continent.

when the gba came out i was extremely disappointed, 1 speaker, only 4 buttons, no backlighting, basically a portable snes, and a hideous design, the gba sp basically fixed two of those issues

and you know what i realized: the portable market makes no sense, people seem not to want the most powerful system, or even color, and the list of systems the original gameboy trumped is disgraceful- i mean the sega nomad could play genesis games for crying out loud
portable people seem to want gameplay and nintendo is the best developer for pure gameplay - sony just doesnt seem to have that by itself and 3rd parties tend to go with the large user base
that being said, can the psp triumph? yes if it has a good pricepoint and some great fun games, but unless there has been a huge paradigm shift in the makeip of portable gamers, this is going to be like the previous battles
sony cannot arrogantly claim this landscape, they need to take the approach of the original ps and go for the great games that arent available elsewhere (or luck into another ffvii, gta situation)

I think the important things here is that the only people who've ever tried to directly challange the GBA died horribly (game.com?, Wonderswan? NGP?) The only way you can compete with the GBA is to offer services and options besides games and do it at a resonable price point.

The PSP will probably see a Tombraider before the first year without a doubt but if someone cam play a cool looking version of NFL street on thing thing with someone in another state for less than 200 bucks it might actually get some interest.

Like the N-Gage?

what a marvellous disaster that was

yet somehow, brits keep buying. Maybe the tooth rot has affected their brains.

and you know what i realized: the portable market makes no sense, people seem not to want the most powerful system, or even color, and the list of systems the original gameboy trumped is disgraceful- i mean the sega nomad could play genesis games for crying out loud
portable people seem to want gameplay and nintendo is the best developer for pure gameplay

I agree. Gameplay trumps everything else in the portable market. If you remember, almost (if not all) of the Game Boy's competitors have been more powerful than the Game Boy. Game Gear, Lynx, NGP, Nomad, Jaguar, Turbo Graphix--Game Boy buried all of them with its monochrome screen. Nintendo is the best developer in terms of pure gameplay. Sony has some great developers too, but Nintendo does have an edge there.

The PSP will NOT be cheap. I highly doubt we'll see it in the $100-130 range mainly because Sony wants it to be more than just a gaming device. Sony wants this to be what the Walkman was for them. They're not just taking on Nintendo with the PSP, they also need to compete with the Ipod, as well as any other portable video/audio device. Its a do-all gaming/audio/video handheld device, and it just can't be cheap with all that capability. That said, if I'm wrong and it is $100-130 and has a couple good games, I would definitely buy one. What impresses me the most is the fact that you can TV-out the game so you don't have to settle for the portable screen, and the wireless multiplayer possibility. (The 7.1 sound is really cool too)

I have a feeling it will be $299, $249 absolute lowest.. a lot of the success of the PSP will hinge on its price point. Sony products are expensive in general, but the PS2--despite being an inferior machine--was much more expensive than the Xbox/GC and still did well at $299 for the longest time.

[quote name='Alpha2']Noone in their right mind would pay more than 300 for a handheld. $250 - 300 is already the magic number for selling a new system to the public, Sony knew this going into the PS2. The PSP will very likely not be more powerfull than the PS2 so it'd be rediculous to ask people to pay that much for it.

Best case scenerio:
Base PSP - $150 (plays games on mini disks far better graphics than a GBA and a bit better than PSone.)
Upgradeable moduals - $50-100 (things like MP3 players, phone attachments, bluetooth "thingys")

At most you end up paying 300 for a fully loaded PSP that sings, spinsplates, dances a jig and lets you play wireless multiplayer games across the continent.[/quote]

You haven't been reading the press on the PSP, have you? Multiple sites have already published the 40000+ yen estimate. Unless component prices radically drop, I doubt that price would drop that siginificantly.
I doubt sony would take a 25000 yen loss in japan, or roughly a 250 dollar loss in the states just to compete on even ground with the GBA.

The price could still change (being an estimate) but if its going to be packed at launch with all the moduals (or whatever I forget all the stuff they say they want the thing to do) I could see a 400 price tag, in Japan. The yen is weaker than the dollar so if they sell it fully loaded at that price here it might be about 375, a crappy price but they might give you a few games with it. If it sells for 375 as a stock unit, its the N-gayge all over again. but with better graphics.

Also keep in mind they could also drop the price for sale north american. The japanese will pay an arm and a leg for tech if it's advanced enough and they trust the company. Americans are too cheap... ;)

The price could still change (being an estimate) but if its going to be packed at launch with all the moduals (or whatever I forget all the stuff they say they want the thing to do) I could see a 400 price tag, in Japan. The yen is weaker than the dollar so if they sell it fully loaded at that price here it might be about 375, a crappy price but they might give you a few games with it. If it sells for 375 as a stock unit, its the N-gayge all over again. but with better graphics.

It very well may be $400. Sony will market this thing to hell and will probably push its other capabilities in order to justify the high cost.

Also keep in mind they could also drop the price for sale north american. The japanese will pay an arm and a leg for tech if it's advanced enough and they trust the company. Americans are too cheap... ;)

I remember reading an article about how Japanese and American consumers differ, and thats a observation that they mentioned.

[quote name='JSweeney']the medium size for the DS is listed in GIGABITS, NOT GIGABYTES.
[/quote]

Did anyone else read the interview (I don't remember the website it was on, but Penny Arcade linked to it) where the interviewer asked the Nintendo spokesperson something about how gigabits translate to megabytes, and the spokesperson said something like "please don't make me do math!" :lol:

(who measures things in gigabits, anyway?)

you all forgot about the tapwave zodiak going on the retail market in spring. Its also a pda so sony will have to try to beat this system or mach it because it has more addtional fetures, Also i forgot the name but another portable is also geting press but it got announced not to long ago. Once i find the name and the site ill post it. do you think the zodiak will get any popularity cause not many people know about it know.

I have a feeling it will be $299, $249 absolute lowest.. a lot of the success of the PSP will hinge on its price point. Sony products are expensive in general, but the PS2--despite being an inferior machine--was much more expensive than the Xbox/GC and still did well at $299 for the longest time.

Bingo. Remember the PSX? Well, despite knowing about everything it came with, people were saying that Sony wouldn't sell it for more than $500 so it would actually sell...

Sony is on a much higher caliber than Nintendo and their products have always been more expenisve than those of the competitiors (take headphones, stereos, computers, or tv for instance).

Sony has a huge fanbase, and they are very confident in their products so do not expect them to lower the price on this thing just to get an entryway into the market. Second, are we forgeting everything that is supposed to come with it?! If I recall correctly, it was already announced that Sony will use the PSP to rivall Apple's IPOD. I mean that plus the specs of the PSP means at least $350.

I just hope that you will be able to select the features you want your PSP to come with, because if the cell phone thing is true, I sure as hell don't want to pay an extra $100 for something that I won't use (a video-game based cell phone, oh yea that's cool).

Like I said previously:

IF this thing comes loaded with all those features yeah you can probably expect something close to a 400 dollar price tag but I doubt they'd risk ending up just like the ngage and chopping their price in half befor the first year virtually screaming to people that their product is garbae and no one is buying it. Sony's showed more smarts than that in the past.

They are NOT going to sell these unless they're selling this thing to rich technophile brats only like they did with the new PSX (Which I understand they were marketing specificly towards people who wanted a huge home stereo DVDplayer/burner and surround sound system all in one) If thats the case I wouldnt worry about it as I have a feeling none of us would be picking it up, but if not they'll have to offer a stripped down base model that can be upgrades with the other features and do it at the price point that AVERAGE consumers respond to.

[quote name='Forest Mercenary']

Bingo. Remember the PSX? Well, despite knowing about everything it came with, people were saying that Sony wouldn't sell it for more than $500 so it would actually sell...

Sony is on a much higher caliber than Nintendo and their products have always been more expenisve than those of the competitiors (take headphones, stereos, computers, or tv for instance).

Sony has a huge fanbase, and they are very confident in their products so do not expect them to lower the price on this thing just to get an entryway into the market. Second, are we forgeting everything that is supposed to come with it?! If I recall correctly, it was already announced that Sony will use the PSP to rivall Apple's IPOD. I mean that plus the specs of the PSP means at least $350.

I just hope that you will be able to select the features you want your PSP to come with, because if the cell phone thing is true, I sure as hell don't want to pay an extra $100 for something that I won't use (a video-game based cell phone, oh yea that's cool).[/quote]

I wouldn't really put Sony on that "high of a caliber." They are well respected in TV's but in everything else you mentioned:

Computers: not at all, they are just like any other PC manufacturer and don't even compare to Dell or HP in this market.

Audio: I have never heard them considered that high end for audio, not like they were back in the walkmen days.

I really can't see this competing against the ipod. With all its gaming muscle it can't be as compact as the ipod, which is the ipods biggest selling point, all that storage in such a small device. I also don't think people will be so wowed by the new technology as they were with the ps1, as I don't think portable gaming relies so much on flashy graphics with a screen so small. Sony has a better chance than the n-gage granted, but unless the price point is right they won't get too many consumers willing to pay for a glorified gaming portable, sony branded or not. Maybe I will be proven wrong, hope I am and still interested to see what comes of this.

[quote name='msdmoney']
I wouldn't really put Sony on that "high of a caliber." They are well respected in TV's but in everything else you mentioned:

Computers: not at all, they are just like any other PC manufacturer and don't even compare to Dell or HP in this market.

Audio: I have never heard them considered that high end for audio, not like they were back in the walkmen days.

I really can't see this competing against the ipod. With all its gaming muscle it can't be as compact as the ipod, which is the ipods biggest selling point, all that storage in such a small device. I also don't think people will be so wowed by the new technology as they were with the ps1, as I don't think portable gaming relies so much on flashy graphics with a screen so small. Sony has a better chance than the n-gage granted, but unless the price point is right they won't get too many consumers willing to pay for a glorified gaming portable, sony branded or not. Maybe I will be proven wrong, hope I am and still interested to see what comes of this.[/quote]

Most of us wouldn't put Sony on that high of caliber, but the masses still consider Sony to be the ultimate in electronics. I agree with what you've said, but they have a stellar brand image. When most people think of the "best" in electronics, they think of Sony. I think their products have the sleekest designs, but find the quality to be shoddy.

The PSP is supposed to compete with Ipod in this manner: Sony says "Ipod only plays music.. but the PSP plays music, video, and games" They're really hoping to recapture the portable market. I know what you mean, they're very different devices.. but hell, if their marketing can keep the PS2's price at launch price for two years.. they can make people believe a lot of things.

Were not talking about tvs and computers. you all forgot the fact that in order to have a good library the system hast to have alot of owners. And a system without a large library wont have a large amount of owners.

I think Sony has been having problems with the system already. I'm not much of a Sony person anyway, but they have been talking about this since the PS first came out. All the crap that they are putting on there is going to make it flop I think. A video game system should be made just to play exactly that, not to listen to MP3s or watch dvds. Well I hope it does better than the Atari Lynx.

bread's done
Back