PSP repair

Lokki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
Has anyone here repaired a PSP before? Obviously some things are easier to repair than others.

I'm asking because I saw one in my local Craigslist for $15. It's is a 3000 model that turns on, but the screen is black. From doing a little research, it could be as simple as going into the Recovery mode and doing a reset (free), or replacing the LCD screen (about $28).

I recently purchased a PSP for myself, but my 8 year old son has fallen in love with it. I figure that if the other one can be repaired easily/cheaply, then it would be a good way to pick one up for him.

I know a guy who's serviced my PSP several times, does good work and has reasonable prices. If you're interested shoot me a PM and i'll give you his email address.

Thanks, I'm not looking to send it off just yet. I don't mind doing the work myself. Having only owned one for a week, I'm not sure how difficult they could be to work on. I Googled solutions to the problem that this PSP has and it seems fairly easy. I'll contact the guy after work and see if it is still available.

I obtained a PSP-1000 (fat) last year with a cracked LCD. I bought a replacement screen on eBay and googled a tutorial online.

I never even owned a PSP, let alone repaired one. It was all pretty simple and was done in about 1 hour.

TIP: Do the repair on a white tablecloth, bedsheet, pillow case, etc. There are a lot of little screws that are impossible to find if you drop one.

For $15 I would take the risk. I've taken apart my PSP a few times and it's not very complicated. If it actually turns on, that limits the potential problems down quite a bit, shouldn't be too hard.

I finally heard back from the guy. He still has it. I'm trying to arrange a time to meet up with him. Hopefully it will be an easy fix.

Hrmm reading up on the possible fixes some more and now I'm not so sure. It is possible that it could be bricked. Posts from a few months ago claim that you can't unbrick a 3000 without sending it to Sony. I'm trying to get more info from the guy now as to how it got into it's current broken state.

I feel better now. He says that you can hear sounds from the PSP while the screen is black. Like the menu sounds and if you start up a UMD. It is a former Gamestop Refurb system. He and his friend think that the ribbon cable is loose. I should be able to fix that no prob, or replace the screen if need be without issue. I'm jumping on this.

bread's done
Back