psp to replace my ipod?

rscaramelo

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (100%)
I have a psp that I strickly use as a gaming machine. I also have an ipod (20gig / 4th gen / no color or video) that's about half full. I know it would be costly and kind of a pain to consolidate all my music onto memory sticks but I don't need to carry my entire collection with me. Between the 1 gig stick I have and maybe another stick, I'm sure I could take along plenty of music. How well does the psp work as a mp3 player? Is the Media Player software from Sony worth the 20 bucks?

Would it be worth it to me to ebay or trade the ipod and use my psp for music instead? My thinking is not to do this strictly because the ipod is probably worth more to me than what I could get for it. Yes I have too many toys but I do want to get a 360 and selling the ipod would go into the fund towards one.

Sorry for the rambling...

RC

I wouldn't. I still us my ipod for music even though I own a psp. I personally don't think the PSP is all that good as a music player because of the way it lists the tracks.

the ipod is
smaller
have more space
better battery life

but with the psp you can also convert mp3 to ATRAC, and they have about the same quality for half the space.

if you get the black series case you can carry like 3 extra memory stick and 1 umd. There are people that use their psp for a game of lumines and mp3/movies.

I wouldn't do it either.

Do you use your iPod frequently? If so, it's very worthwhile to hang on to it. The PSP is not setup well for mp3 use. The iPod is way better, and smaller. PSP for games and movies, iPod for music.

I have a Ipod nano and I use that strictly for music at work and my PSP for gaming/movies. A PSP is too big to carry around or keep in your pocket unless you want your pants to be saggin' on one side.

I would never buy an iPod ever, so I just use my PSP for all my music and games. IMO, it works great for it, although the PSP is a tad large to use for music.

[quote name='Samurai T']I would never buy an iPod ever, so I just use my PSP for all my music and games. IMO, it works great for it, although the PSP is a tad large to use for music.[/QUOTE]

How do you handle the memory sticks? While I don't need my entire collection with me I do like to have a larger number of choices too rather than having to sit down and plan a playlist ahead of time.

I am really leaning towards just keeping the ipod because I do like it and what could I really get for it? 100-150 bucks? It would cost me almost that much for just one big stick.

RC

I have a 1GB Creative Muvo TX as a mp3 player, but I still put a few albums on my gig stick for my psp. I had 25 albums on my psp at one time (wma). Getting to the right song was no problem. The Jazz preset sounds good too. I might be blind, but there isn't a Shuffle/Random feature is there? Besides that I think its a great mp3/pic/video/game player.

[quote name='darkchild81']I have a 1GB Creative Muvo TX as a mp3 player, but I still put a few albums on my gig stick for my psp. I had 25 albums on my psp at one time (wma). Getting to the right song was no problem. The Jazz preset sounds good too. I might be blind, but there isn't a Shuffle/Random feature is there? Besides that I think its a great mp3/pic/video/game player.[/quote]
Their is a shuffle/random feature.
Personally I use it for music, I use the logitec case and listen to it.
Sure, it is a little big, but it's decent.

Also, I only use one 2 gb memory stick and that holds a decent amount of music. I plan on getting an 8 gb when they come out, but until then I'm stick with 2 gb.

[quote name='rscaramelo']How do you handle the memory sticks? While I don't need my entire collection with me I do like to have a larger number of choices too rather than having to sit down and plan a playlist ahead of time.

I am really leaning towards just keeping the ipod because I do like it and what could I really get for it? 100-150 bucks? It would cost me almost that much for just one big stick.

RC[/QUOTE]I only have a 512MB memory stick. I'm a little different, compared to most people with music. I mostly listen to anime soundtracks (like opening and ending) and RPG soundtracks (especially battle and intro themes in RPGs). On my PC, I have only 1/2 of a gig of music, mostly because I only like to keep what I'm interested in listening to most of the time. My PSP memory stick contains 1/3 of that. For your case, it might be better to keep the iPod, but for my case, a PSP is just fine.

PSP is too big and it's annoying when something hits the shoulder buttons and the song changes. But it being too big is really the main problem. I prefer my iPod nano to my PSP for music and it isn't close.

I use mine for music when mowing my lawn, even with my PGP it still fits in the pocket of my jeans. I use the "remote" to change tracks, but then again I mostly use it for podcasts.

BTW, where the hell is the random / shuffle feature????

[quote name='gambitmachete']PSP is too big and it's annoying when something hits the shoulder buttons and the song changes. But it being too big is really the main problem. I prefer my iPod nano to my PSP for music and it isn't close.[/QUOTE]

There is a hold button, you know--use it and the remote and you're all set. No more interrupted music due to unwanted L/R button presses. :p

I know how iPod is for music but Sony needs to cut the shit and dominate with UMD video. Forget movies and concentrate on UMD Music exclusives, think greatly enhanced albums with exclusive m/v's included for like 2-3 $'s more. Also Sony needs to allow outside companies like Panasonic and others to make PSP's to drive the cost down as well as getting a fairly affordable 8 gig. memory stick to market soon. If they want to be the choice for a PMP this is the way to do it and to destroy the iPod video while they have the chance.

If your going to the mall, a friends house, on break at work, taking a walk some where or something that envoles you more than 3 hours but less than 8, then using the PSP as a music player is good. 1 gig of space is more than enough music for something casual like I listed; but if your going cross country or something along those lines, then no. when i'm out and about I use the psp for music, if i'm going somewhere far or out of town, I'll stick with my Dell DJ 20gig (2nd gen). That's just me...

bread's done
Back