PSP Woes

s3v3n777

CAGiversary!
Everytime I want to go and buy a PSP I find a post or someone in the gaming industry commenting how they play their DS a lot more. I like Sony products and I think the power of the PSP is amazing...but with the lackluster things I have heard about the PSP, I don't know how I feel about putting down $200 for a PSP. Looking at the games the only ones that really call to me off the top of my head are GTA and...well....thats all I can think of right now. :whistle2:/ I really wanna know whats the deal? Aren't people happy with their PSP as a game system?

I love my PSP and I like my girlfriends ds, it just really depends what kind of games u like. And if the only game that seem of any interest to you is GTA, why don't you wait till it's released before picking up one..

[quote name='s3v3n777']Everytime I want to go and buy a PSP I find a post or someone in the gaming industry commenting how they play their DS a lot more. I like Sony products and I think the power of the PSP is amazing...but with the lackluster things I have heard about the PSP, I don't know how I feel about putting down $200 for a PSP. Looking at the games the only ones that really call to me off the top of my head are GTA and...well....thats all I can think of right now. :whistle2:/ I really wanna know whats the deal? Aren't people happy with their PSP as a game system?[/QUOTE]

Give it time. The PS2 game line-up sucked for a while also, remember? And there are some quality games available right now such as Lumines, Ridge Racer, Burnout Legends, with games like GTA and Infected on the way. It's starting out slow, but Sony isn't going to let the PSP die so easily.

I don't have a DS but I love my PSP. There are plenty of games available right now that appeal to me and a lot more coming down the pike that have me excited. I seem to be an oddity in that respect, though. The most vocal people seem to think the PSP library is teh suck and that emulation is the only decent thing about the system.

I guess if you're only interested in GTA I'd recommend you wait for a price drop or two before getting a PSP.

I've got both, in fact we have 2 DSes. I play my PSP more then my DS, but my wife plays the DS way more then the PSP. It just depends on what kind of games you like. For me, Ridge Racer is worth the price of the PSP. Its the best version of that game on any system.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Right now, I only use my PSP for Lumines and emulation. If I were you, I'd hold off.[/QUOTE]

Ditto for me.

Sony could stop supporting the PSP right now and I wouldn't care. Portable nes and snes is all I really make use of. Well.... the Suikoden two pack would be nice first...

I play my DS for Madden, Mario, Wario, Feel the Magic and 1 PSP for Emulation and the other for the updated software and games that may not allow the emulation. Both systems have good games so you can't go totally wrong either way.

I'm happy with my PSP, I've got lumines and wipeout, and I'm going to get burnout,
plus, using the psp for mp3s and videos on the go is great

[quote name='Quackzilla']Retards make a lot of comments, like the above.

But for an actual gamer the PSP is a very nice handheld.[/QUOTE]

And your comment is better?

If you only want the PSP for GTA, then wait for the game to actually come out first to see if the game is any good. Then think about the price and what not...

The PSP has a lot of great games, mostly racers, but some very unique titles like Lumines (which is amazing). But really, the game lineup isn't the best... you'll see a lot of multiplatform stuff on it along with the PS2/Xbox so those games aren't worth it if you have a PS2 or Xbox already. Plus, PSP software is pretty pricy ($40+ usually).

The DS is great... my brother and I both got a DS and enjoy it tons. He got a PSP and I was planning on getting one... but after Lumines, the fun pretty much died.

I wouldn't count the PSP out yet... the DS took almost 8 months to get a decent lineup of games after an initial launch lineup of crap and a good game now and then. Just wait until a price drop and when the big games start rolling in. Or if you need a portable device that does more than gaming and have the money for a big memory stick (512MB at least, 1GB or more for the most) then you do a lot of things with the PSP.

So my advice: wait and see.:)

[quote name='Quackzilla']Retards make a lot of comments, like the above.

But for an actual gamer the PSP is a very nice handheld.[/QUOTE]

You hate everything, so your opinions don't count.

I had to fly cross country a few times this year and the PSP makes life bearable on long flights. A couple of movies, a couple of beers and flight is over. It's easier then pulling out the laptop and a bigger screen then my Ipaq. Plus Lumines and Hot Shot Golf are great.

I don't see how anyone can say the PSP has no games, that seems to be a trend lately. I have THUG 2 Remix, Wipeout Pure, Death Jr., Lumines, and I'm about to own Burnout. They all kick major ass. I plan on getting GTA, WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2006, and Infected.

To be honest, if you're looking for a handheld for 100% straight gameplay, get a DS, nothing can ever match Nintendo's first party games. If you're looking for a handheld with great gameplay but with focus on other features like, mp3 playback, UMD movies, homebrew video, pictures, and a big ass bright screen... get a PSP.

For me, my DS is nice for around the house. It's not good for a car trip, or outside play. The screens aren't bright enough, and the touch screen thing doesn't working well on a bumpy car ride. The PSP I like to break out on my monthly drives to Vegas, and when I need to zone out for extended period of time.

For some reason stylus based gameplay always gets old to me fast. Kirby: Canvas Curse, Yoshi: Touch & Go, Nintendogs, and Warioware: Touched all got old fast. I still can play regular Kirby platformers, Yoshi's Island, and both Warioware's from the GBA forever without them getting old, but when the gameplay is solely based around the stylus they just get boring for some reason. I haven't checked out Advance Wars DS yet though, so who knows.

[quote name='Quackzilla']If you only care about ROMs and GTA then get a cheap PC.

If you are a gamer get a game system.[/QUOTE]

...Or just get a PS1 and be happy since 90% of the games are ports.

I just got a PSP today, and I'm enjoying it thus far, but I've got the only games that are out or were announced that I have any interest in: Wipeout and Lumines. Aside from that, I doubt my PSP will be played every day like my DS is. I do have two 512 MB memory sticks, though, one loaded with Family Guy and the other with Sin City at the moment, so I will probably at least start using my PSP for movie watching during my commute.

bread's done
Back