PSU (Power Supply Unit)

Riyonuk

CAGiversary!
Feedback
53 (100%)
I'm making baby steps with my newfound interest in DIY computer builds, so don't laugh at me :p

I've taken apart about 10 computers throughout my life, so with that comes the vast majority of my knowledge. I'm currently staring at a Compaq DK216A (An OLD unit, I got it used in the 6th grade), and had a question about the PSU. Now, being the OCD type person I am, it's always bothered me that when I plug in my Hardrives, CD/DVD Drives, and connect the huge one to the motherboard, I have alot left over, unused. Why? Not to mention their horribly wrapped with that plastic that's extremely difficult to break (have no idea what it's called). Is it possible to take apart the PSU, and strip away the cables I don't need (by that, I mean, like a power connector, easy to plug in, easy to pull out, if it requires scissors or a blade, then no).

For some reason, I feel more apt to purchase something that has a Energy Star sticker on it, not because I'm an eco-freak, or tree hugger, but because I know my bills will be less :p, can we build a computer around that? I know some company makes a certain hardrive with a green sticker (the name escapes the mind at the moment).

Are their any advantages to having the PSU in the top, as opposed to the bottom? Are their such things as "angled" ribbons/cables, as opposed to free form ones that I have to use a rubber band or twizzlers from Wal-Mart to hold together?

@ RAMSTORIA

I figured all my newcomer like responses would clutter the sticky, and I will be posting more often in these forums. I would however, like a recommendation on computer-esque forums like this one, that are completely NON [H]ardForum like. I learn nothing there.

@ Salamando3000

I believe that is what I was looking for, you know, empty slots for whatever cables I choose to stick in. Not a "here are 20 different cables, do something with them".

bread's done
Back