PSU Upgrade

aShufflinZombie

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
When I built my PC back in november, I bought a cheap cooler master psu because the wattage requirements were low and I wasn't planning on overclocking.

In the times since, I overclocked my 8320 to 4.2 GHz at stock voltage. Heat isn't an issue because at full load during encoding it only goes up to 45~50 C. It was completely stable for 3 or so months but lately it has been randomly crashing as well as BSODs. I'm pretty sure that it's the PSU since it has cheap Chinese capacitors so I'm looking for a new power supply.

The budget is $80 but going under budget is not a problem. :cool: But I need to order by monday at the very lastest because my PSU might die soon. :(

The two PSUs that I'm looking at are the Corsair CX600M or the Rosewill Hive 650.

I would greatly welcome any input.

Thanks fellow CAGs!

My rig is as follows:
AMD FX-8320 @ 4.2; stock voltage
Hyper 212 Evo
ASRock 970 Extreme4
Corsair Vengeance [email protected]
EVGA GTX 650 @ 1200 core; 6GHz GDDR5
OCZ Vertex 4; 128 GB
Seagate 2tb
LG DVD drive

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had bad experiences with Rosewill. I suppose the one I'm using now has lasted 3 years of near continuous use, so maybe I shouldnt complain. But it took 3 tries for them to send me one that wasnt DOA.

I ordered a Radeon HD 7870 DD Black Edition the other day, so after that I think my next upgrade will be a more reliable PSU. I kinda dont trust the Rosewill one.

I cant speak for Corsair though, I've never had one.

[quote name='Waughoo']I've had bad experiences with Rosewill. I suppose the one I'm using now has lasted 3 years of near continuous use, so maybe I shouldnt complain. But it took 3 tries for them to send me one that wasnt DOA.

I ordered a Radeon HD 7870 DD Black Edition the other day, so after that I think my next upgrade will be a more reliable PSU. I kinda dont trust the Rosewill one.

I cant speak for Corsair though, I've never had one.[/QUOTE]

I ended up going with the CX500 because it was $30 AR on the Egg. Supposedly, Corsair is expensive but they make the some of the most reliable PSUs.

bread's done
Back