Psychonauts - Does it get better?

dchrisd

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
So I've had this game in my backlog and finally got around to playing after hearing how good its supposed to be. I'm a few hours into it (just beat the fish and now I'm a giant) and I'm bored.

I like the setting, I like the characters and the story is kinda interesting, but the gameplay is just so dang boring. It's extremely slow paced, there's too much backtracking and too much empty space between objectives (the levels take twice as long as they should) and the enemies are more of an annoyance than a threat.

I hear the game is supposed to be about 15 hours and, at this point, I really don't see myself continuing for another 12 hours. So tell me, does it get better?

(by the way, I'm playing this on the original xbox but since its available on 360 download, I figure this more active board would be ok)

Psychonauts definitely earns it's rep from story, characters, writing, and voice acting. I would say the gameplay is the weakest part of the experience.

I agree with timesplitt- the Milkman level really should be experienced. If you're still not feeling it after that, then I'd say put it aside and move onto something else.

Milkman and Blackvelvetopia are great parts, and you just got to the part were you can reinact a Godzilla movie! If you're not feeling the pace then it may just not be the kind of game for you. Personally I love platform games and the level design was amazing, especially for the time it was released.

But the last level is Meat Circus, which is terrible.

Agreed with above. If by this point you're still not feeling it, I don't think anything's going to change. The levels are brilliant in design and execution (except as whitcracker said, Meat Circus), but for the most part keep the same pace and gameplay. I still say this is one of the best games ever, but I can see where it's not for everyone.

Thanks for the input and not being rabid fanboys about it. I just got to the Insane Asylum, which I've been looking forward to and seems like it should be fun. Plus, the Milkman level should be coming up soon. I keep hearing about that and want to try it out. Given the location, I'll spend a few more hours with it and see if I start having more fun. If not, I'll throw it up on Goozex.

The Milkman level is among my favorite levels in all of gaming.

With that said, my favorite games are the LucasArts adventure games (Grim Fandango in particular). I found the the writing and design in Psychonauts to be was very reminiscent of those games, so my view may be a bit skewed. If you don't like it yet, you probably won't like the remaining game.

I had a lot of difficulty getting into Psychonauts at first. I literally fell alseep a few times in the beginning while playing. But that was also probably because I was tired when playing.

Anyway, once I got a few levels in I really started to enjoy them. Each "mind" level is so unique and creative that you look past the few gameplay issues.

Aside from the milkman, another one of my favorites was the Napoleon level. Great stuff

Ruahrc

I agree with everyone else. I had some trouble getting into it at the beginning, but it grew on me over time. You definitely have to do the Milkman level and the Napoleon level.

Playing through the milkman level (just go the rifle). I really like the design and tone of the level. Favorite "setting" so far. Glad I stayed with it. But the fetch quest, look-through-the-level-for-item-to-progress is annoying and takes all the fun out of it. I'm not putting another 10 hours into this. I would like a sequel though. The Psychonauts world with tighter gameplay would kick-ass.

I almost got the impression that it was supposed to be an old school adventure game, but they realized it wouldn't sell, so tried making it a platformer. So much of the game (such as milkman) just screams point and click adventure. They should team up with TellTale imho.

bread's done
Back