Public DNS usage

Mad39er

CAGiversary!
I was going to write a whole big story but I'll just put this out there for feelers and feedback. Anybody use public DNS servers? I let my ADD get the better of me today and ended up finding several things that screamed "SHINY!" at me and was just curious if people actually know you have somewhat of a choice and what benefits/drawbacks are.

There more than a fair amount that I don't know about the subject, but since I went on an ADD-fueled network road trip that culminated in the shortest completion time of anything I've done with network settings, I figured I'd ask for opinions on the subject.

My ISP (Time Warner) does the thing where they return bring you to an advertising page if the host name you tried to resolve doesn't exist. I've also had an issue in the past where I couldn't connect to this one online game.

For a while I used 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2, but now I use Google Public DNS. I've not had any problems with it, but unless you are having issues with DNS in particular, it's not going to be much of a difference.

I'm currently using OpenDNS, and it had been good. Using my ISPs (Bright House Networks) DNS I could never watch any YouTube videos, now they work like a charm.

I use google's public DNS. I have verizon fios and their DNS are ok, but sometimes it's slow and sometimes it's fast. Google's just seems to be fine all the time.

bread's done
Back