Pulse monitoring alarm clock that wakes yo during an ideal time within your REM cycle

dpatel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Sorry if the topic title is sorta confusing. I remember stumbling upon an alarm clock that was worn like a watch. It monitored your pulse and was supposed to wake you up when your body is really calm, using a very soft beep. I can't remember the name or much else about it, but was hoping some of you might know what I am talking about. You're supposed to give it a time rang (such as: 8am-8:30am) and it will wake you up sometime during that time frame which would be ideal for you, so you feel more rested and aren't "jolted" awake like other alarms do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Something tells me I'd still find a way to oversleep that thing. And whoever created the font for the clock needs to have it thrown at them.

[quote name='mguiddy']You mean this and this? And here is a review.

Holy crap... $300...[/QUOTE]

[quote name='BizzaroSephiroth']There's also the cheaper watch version.[/QUOTE]

Thanks guys. The watch version was the one I was talking about. I was not aware of the clock one. That price is really steep, but I think I'll look around at reviews for the thing. If it actually works and makes a significant difference, it might be worth it. I know I'm definitely not a morning person, and being jolted awake by the painful sound of my current alarm clock probably isn't the best way to start a day.

The watch version looks pretty uncomfortable to wear to bed... though I'm not a watch person so...

What if there isnt a good time during the timeframe you give it to wake you up? It's not like there is a cycle every half hour while you sleep. If it doesn't find a good time then does it just wake you up like any other alarm clock at the last possible time you wanted to be woke up?

[quote name='chakan']If anyone gets one of these, I would be interested in a review.[/quote]

I would also be interested in reading a review of this sort of product.

I actually saw the Sleeptracker's 30 day money back guarantee over this past winter and thought I'd give it a try. Here's a (very, because I gotta get ready for work) quick review:

The thing works by monitoring movement. You pick an alarm time and a period before that you're ok waking up, and it buzzes when it detects movement in that time. For example, if I set it for 7:00 with a 30 minute window, it'll buzz if it picks up any movement between 6:30 and 7:00. If no movement, it goes off at 7 like a normal alarm. This actually disappointed me, because it keeps track of when you're rolling around all night, but that has nothing to do with when it wakes you up. It's just "Movement during window = alarm".

The first couple of nights I found that I was too conscious of the watch. Because you're always actually semi-awake when you're rolling around, whether you remember it the next morning or not, I would actually wake up, think to myself "I wonder if it's in that window..." and shake my arm to see if it buzzed. Self-defeating.

After a couple of days I finally managed to get over the fact that there was a big heavy watch on my wrist and slept normally, and had mixed results getting up. Somedays it buzzed at some point in the window, and others it just went off like a normal alarm. I don't think I felt any difference between the two.

The watch band is comfortable, but the watch itself is bulky, and needs to be on tight to monitor movement right. The alarm itself is quiet enough that if you sleep with your hand under a pillow you won't hear it. The thing didn't work somedays, and I didn't feel any difference when it did. While I think there's a lot of potential for sleep monitoring alarm clocks in the future, I think the tech just isn't yet where it needs to be to make a really effective product. I returned mine.

I will say that, if you're still wanting to try it, I had no trouble at all returning it for a refund. The owner of the company himself responded to my email and seemed like a nice dude. If they're still offering the month trial, it may be worth a shot, as it may work for you. Didn't work for me though.

Thank you for the review,MuzykMann. Its good to know that it has to be on really tight; I don't think that would work for me.

[quote name='Malik112099']If it doesn't find a good time then does it just wake you up like any other alarm clock at the last possible time you wanted to be woke up?[/quote]

[quote name='MuzykMann']For example, if I set it for 7:00 with a 30 minute window, it'll buzz if it picks up any movement between 6:30 and 7:00. If no movement, it goes off at 7 like a normal alarm. [/quote]

I called it!

WORD OF WARNING:

If you purchase this watch and die in your sleep, the alarm will never go off. This happened to me recently. Wore the watch to bed as usual, then my heart stopped beating and I died. As I had no pulse and movement, the alarm never went off. Was late to work and got fired as a result. Will be returning for a full refund.

[quote name='billg']WORD OF WARNING:

If you purchase this watch and die in your sleep, the alarm will never go off. This happened to me recently. Wore the watch to bed as usual, then my heart stopped beating and I died. As I had no pulse and movement, the alarm never went off. Was late to work and got fired as a result. Will be returning for a full refund.[/quote]

so..if you don't move it wont go off till the last possible time to go off...but if you die it lets you rest in peace?

[quote name='Malik112099']so..if you don't move it wont go off till the last possible time to go off...but if you die it lets you rest in peace?[/quote]

Makes a pretty strong case for death. Especially on Mondays.

[quote name='MuzykMann']Makes a pretty strong case for death. Especially on Mondays.[/QUOTE]

You forgot Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays!!!

[quote name='MuzykMann']I actually saw the Sleeptracker's 30 day money back guarantee over this past winter and thought I'd give it a try. Here's a (very, because I gotta get ready for work) quick review:

The thing works by monitoring movement. You pick an alarm time and a period before that you're ok waking up, and it buzzes when it detects movement in that time. For example, if I set it for 7:00 with a 30 minute window, it'll buzz if it picks up any movement between 6:30 and 7:00. If no movement, it goes off at 7 like a normal alarm. This actually disappointed me, because it keeps track of when you're rolling around all night, but that has nothing to do with when it wakes you up. It's just "Movement during window = alarm".

The first couple of nights I found that I was too conscious of the watch. Because you're always actually semi-awake when you're rolling around, whether you remember it the next morning or not, I would actually wake up, think to myself "I wonder if it's in that window..." and shake my arm to see if it buzzed. Self-defeating.

After a couple of days I finally managed to get over the fact that there was a big heavy watch on my wrist and slept normally, and had mixed results getting up. Somedays it buzzed at some point in the window, and others it just went off like a normal alarm. I don't think I felt any difference between the two.

The watch band is comfortable, but the watch itself is bulky, and needs to be on tight to monitor movement right. The alarm itself is quiet enough that if you sleep with your hand under a pillow you won't hear it. The thing didn't work somedays, and I didn't feel any difference when it did. While I think there's a lot of potential for sleep monitoring alarm clocks in the future, I think the tech just isn't yet where it needs to be to make a really effective product. I returned mine.

I will say that, if you're still wanting to try it, I had no trouble at all returning it for a refund. The owner of the company himself responded to my email and seemed like a nice dude. If they're still offering the month trial, it may be worth a shot, as it may work for you. Didn't work for me though.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the review. From what you have said, it sounds like it's not quite worth the price tag. I'm still curious, so I may check a few more reviews, and even try buying and possibly returning it.

[quote name='dpatel']Thanks guys. The watch version was the one I was talking about. I was not aware of the clock one. That price is really steep, but I think I'll look around at reviews for the thing. If it actually works and makes a significant difference, it might be worth it. I know I'm definitely not a morning person, and being jolted awake by the painful sound of my current alarm clock probably isn't the best way to start a day.[/QUOTE]

Have you considered just getting a cd alarm clock? I'm not a morning person either, and I hate the generic alarm sound. But I've found if I put in a somewhat mellow cd (I have a Bjork cd in right now) to wake up to, it's much better than being jolted awake by the basic alarm.

[quote name='argyle']Have you considered just getting a cd alarm clock? I'm not a morning person either, and I hate the generic alarm sound. But I've found if I put in a somewhat mellow cd (I have a Bjork cd in right now) to wake up to, it's much better than being jolted awake by the basic alarm.[/QUOTE]

Yea, that was my second choice. The watch I talked about in the OP sounded great on paper, but it sounds like it needs some work to actually perform well.

Yeah, I'd say if you're still curious, it can't hurt to give it a shot. But the fact that it doesn't actually monitor anything but movement made me pretty unconvinced of the tech involved. Especially for that price.

I've actually done some looking into these sunrise simulator clocks as well. They seem like another decent concept, in theory anyway. They start to light up a bit before your set alarm time, and gradually get brighter and brighter until they're (supposedly) like having the sun shining in your room. Luckily, I just moved into my own place with plenty of windows so i DO have the sun shining every morning. However, if I were still back in the basement apt I was renting, I might give it a try.

http://www.amazon.com/Bio-Brite-Sun...3?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1210089798&sr=8-3

bread's done
Back