Purchase Demigod (PC) Get a second copy 50% off!

[quote name='Frogboy']Seventh, all people who have bought Demigod at retail or direct up May 10th (and didn't return the game obviously) will be getting a coupon that will let them purchase a second copy of Demigod for 50% off for a limited time as a way for us to show appreciation for this community that has put their faith and trust in us.[/QUOTE]Actually I think it works for people who bought retail copies as well. I wonder how they will distribute the coupon.

Not sure how OP read it as not affecting retail purchases.
Seventh, all people who have bought Demigod at retail or direct up May 10th (and didn't return the game obviously) will be getting a coupon that will let them purchase a second copy of Demigod for 50% off for a limited time as a way for us to show appreciation for this community that has put their faith and trust in us.

So you basically get two copies for $60 (40 + 40/2). Not bad for a brand new game.

well its new at Newegg/Amazon for $35 shipped but still a good deal if you had a friend who was interested. Even better if Amazon/Newegg allows you to redeem the discount code. Its probably based off of when you register your key so i'd assume this would work.

Just a heads up, GPG (GasPoweredGames) has a horrible reputation of dropping support for their games fairly early and I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing that happened to Supreme Commander happened to this. Demigod is an OK game but not worth the $40 bucks IMO

[quote name='silva']Just a heads up, GPG (GasPoweredGames) has a horrible reputation of dropping support for their games fairly early and I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing that happened to Supreme Commander happened to this. Demigod is an OK game but not worth the $40 bucks IMO[/quote]

You think they have horrible support?

SC had over a dozen patches + the standalone addon that fixed a lot of peoples complaints about the AI. I wouldnt call that "dropping support".

[quote name='silva']Just a heads up, GPG (GasPoweredGames) has a horrible reputation of dropping support for their games fairly early and I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing that happened to Supreme Commander happened to this. Demigod is an OK game but not worth the $40 bucks IMO[/quote]

Supreme Commander is published by THQ, which stopped funding patches. Demigod is published by Stardock, which is known to support its games long after release. (GalCiv II will be getting another AI tweak/bugfix patch after Demigod is straightened out.)

That's sweet, but I wonder how the lprocess will actually work? Will they send a coupon? Will you be able to download a copy for $20?

I just bought a copy from amazon for $31.50. I should get it Wednesday. I'd like to give that copy to my brother-in-law and then get another copy for myself. But I may need to hold onto it for proof of purchase before I can get the second copy. Or is is based on registrations? Do i hve to open, install and register my game before the 10th. Will I have to do that and then they'll send me a coupon via email? I dunno.

[quote name='the_punisher']Guys, don't bother, this pretty much bombed (everyone pirated it). It'll be real cheap, real soon.[/quote]
While I'm fully aware this is cheapassgamers and we all strive to get things at the lowest price, I would imagine it is better to buy it now just to support the company. They are obviously one of the few PC developers left that haven't forced DRM onto customers and constantly keep in touch with the community. That may be worth the few extra dollars imo if the game interests anyone, especially considering your comment does ring true about many pirating it.

Will be passing this onto some friends who were curious to try it, thanks op!

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar']That's sweet, but I wonder how the lprocess will actually work? Will they send a coupon? Will you be able to download a copy for $20?

I just bought a copy from amazon for $31.50. I should get it Wednesday. I'd like to give that copy to my brother-in-law and then get another copy for myself. But I may need to hold onto it for proof of purchase before I can get the second copy. Or is is based on registrations? Do i hve to open, install and register my game before the 10th. Will I have to do that and then they'll send me a coupon via email? I dunno.[/quote]

The only way i can see this working in the way they stated it will is if, when you register the game, you also supply an email address. If the game is registered before the 10th they send you a coupon code to said email which you redeem for the downloadable version of the game at a discount of $20.

They certainly arent tracking every physical sale.

wow, that's a pretty nice offer.

I'm more interested in the demo talk, glad to see that's coming so I can give the game a try.

It is too bad they arnt giving everyone access to the discount as I would buy it right now if so! Hopefully the coupon deal is easy to get somehow

[quote name='the_punisher']Guys, don't bother, this pretty much bombed (everyone pirated it). It'll be real cheap, real soon.[/QUOTE]
That's the worst logic I ever heard of.

Because the game got pirated the price will drop? That's not even a logical business model. That's like saying if more people steal gold the price of gold will drop more. Stardock will continue pricing it where they will be making a profit. Remember Stardock target audience doesn't include pirates so there is no reason they will change the pricing scheme because of it.

My bad about the retail statement. Also, the game is pirate-able, but it's hard to get a pirated copy online as I hear it. Most people on the official site's boards are saying they pirated a copy but wanted to take it online for a shot, thus they bought a retail copy or direct download.

The game didn't 'bomb' yet either, the release had a few bugs and if you read on, it says they're ironing them out as quickly as possible, and are giving loyal customers the deal I posted here.

I don't know why this game garners so many haters, I'm a long time fan of DotA and this isn't too far off. The retards on amazon like to hate on the game because it's not RPG or Strategy enough for them, not even knowing the game was based on DotA in the first place.

[quote name='appleyum']That's the worst logic I ever heard of.

Because the game got pirated the price will drop? That's not even a logical business model. That's like saying if more people steal gold the price of gold will drop more. Stardock will continue pricing it where they will be making a profit. Remember Stardock target audience doesn't include pirates so there is no reason they will change the pricing scheme because of it.[/QUOTE]

I'd say it's pretty good logic. A lot of people who wanted it, pirated it, therefore there are less sales, and btw the game bombed pirates or no (i can find you the link about it if you really want me to, but i'm too lazy to find it right now).

Also, i know who Stardock is, i know they're a good publisher, however, Gas Powered Games is awful. People may like them for their support on SC, but Space Siege is an awful game that should never have been released,so -1 there. Now they release a buggy, broken game online that pretty much requires you to go online to play it. Great job on their part :roll:

I got this game and it's been really fun. Looks like they are coming out with a demo soon so give that a go if you have doubts.

Hopefully, Stardock and GPG will fix the multiplayer issue by next week, then there should be more players online. Meanwhile, I am still learning the game in single player :)

I am definitely excited about the coupon, I am curious do we get the coupon code in Impulse? Anyone has more information on it please share that, thanks.

[quote name='the_punisher']I'd say it's pretty good logic. A lot of people who wanted it, pirated it, therefore there are less sales, and btw the game bombed pirates or no (i can find you the link about it if you really want me to, but i'm too lazy to find it right now).

Also, i know who Stardock is, i know they're a good publisher, however, Gas Powered Games is awful. People may like them for their support on SC, but Space Siege is an awful game that should never have been released,so -1 there. Now they release a buggy, broken game online that pretty much requires you to go online to play it. Great job on their part :roll:[/QUOTE]

Everyone can't be Blizzard and be so awesome as to not ever fail, ever...

SupComs support has been excellent, and just because they didn't release a stellar game doesn't mean they fail all the time now.

They did release Dungeon Siege and that's been a hit.

Sometimes bad movies are made... are you going to avoid all movies by said production company?

I know THQ was the publisher but the problem lies with Chris Taylor (love him to death because of Total Annihilation and SUPCOM/FA) but i think him and his ego is the real reason these games are dying. Ever since CAVEDOG, everyone thought it was lack of funding or maybe lack of advertising but when he left there and founded GPG the quality of games just started to get worse and worse until Supreme Commander. After 2 Dungeon Seiges and a movie (lol love Jason Stathom but it sucked), Supreme Commander makes its arrival which was incredible and had a large following but many left when CT made the announcement that he was going to partner with Aspyr and port the game to XBOX360 (which played horribly). I am only speaking from the perspective of being an active member and having exchanges with the staff in forums where everyone states a problem and they flat out say "there is nothing wrong there" and put out a patch that "fixes" something else. All i'm saying is Demigod is OK but don't feel bad if you log on one day to play and no one is in the lobby.

[quote name='silva']All i'm saying is Demigod is OK but don't feel bad if you log on one day to play and no one is in the lobby.[/quote]

Yeah, I think that's one of the reasons for the Demigod promotion. The botched launch fragmented the playerbase. I've only played SupCom offline, so I can't comment on how things have worked there. Space Siege sounded like total crap, though.

[quote name='the_punisher']Guys, don't bother, this pretty much bombed (everyone pirated it). It'll be real cheap, real soon.[/quote]

I think Stardock kinda addressed that:

If I wrote a post saying that Demigod sales were far below what we had hoped for and I said that the reason was due to piracy and that the answer was that we should have put some nasty copy protection on those DVDs to have prevented early piracy what do you think people would say? I know what my answer to that would be. I would say that Stardock couldn’t blame poor sales on piracy but rather the fact that the game’s built-in multiplayer match-making was totally broken for the first day of release ...

Demigod debuts at #3 for top selling PC games at retail – bearing in mind that that was a partial week and that the majority of units sold were digital sales which weren’t counted.

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']I don't quite get the logic. Why would I need a second copy, if I already had one?[/QUOTE]

Apparently good will and gaming friends aren't your forte. Or making deals.

I'd eat it up, but I don't think I can invest the time in it.

Well I bought two copies already. One for myself and another for my friend's birthday. (This game is much more fun with friends.)

I love Stardock. They are one of the few PC oriented companies that cares about their customers and understands that DRM is pointless.

Demigod had a few issues at launch yes, but they have worked their asses off (i think i read on the blog that each person at Stardock and GPG put in 70-90 hours) and have produced 3 (maybe 4?) patches already. This plus their dedication to PC gaming is well worth the price of any of their products.

How many companies do you know of that released 3-4 patches less than 3 weeks after release and has a CEO who communicates with the community via blog and forum posts?

[quote name='Teeheehee']Apparently good will and gaming friends aren't your forte. Or making deals.

I'd eat it up, but I don't think I can invest the time in it.[/quote]
Oh, I like deals. There's no logic in a deal that requires me to buy two copies of the same game. I'm a hermit, I don't have friends. And if I did, I couldn't afford to buy them copies...

[quote name='Baron O Hell']Anybody that has a 50% off code that will go to waste I would be happy to take it off your hands.[/QUOTE]

Me too!

Does anyone know what's going on with this coupon/deal? I'm just curious cuz it's been over a week and I haven't seen anything yet. I am thinking of getting a second copy for myself, so I can LAN it up with house guests.

Oh.. good point. I didn't think about the fact that they'd probably wait to get everyone's email then do a mass mail.

I think they're going to distribute it by email, because earlier in that same post, he mentions that through the Impulse account creation they're collecting an email list.

[quote name='knightbeauchamp']hey i bought this on release from amazon how do i get my coupon?[/QUOTE]

You registered the game on impulse right? So I am guessing they will probably email the coupon to your email based on the impulse account.

ATTENTION FELLOW CAGs

The coupon has arrived. Check your inboxes for email from [email protected].

Highlights:
  • It's 50% off a digital copy of the game
  • You receive a (unique?) coupon code that's 18 letters long
  • Offer expires May 29, 2009
  • Next week they are sending out a 20% coupon applicable to all Impulse apps/games
  • They will be sending out more coupons in the future to people who play a couple hours per week

Greetings Demigod user!

As you know, Demigod is a real-time action strategy game that incorporates tactical combat with role playing elements. When played on-line, it is best played with groups of people as opposed to 1 on 1 as seen in many other strategy games.

Since Demigod's launch late last month, we have been working with developer Gas Powered Games to enhance the game. We have a lot of exciting updates in the works. One of the things we have been particularly concentrating on is improving the game's multiplayer connectivity.

We have been gradually improving the Demigod network connectivity for those who enjoy playing on-line with other people. On Thursday, May 21st, we released an update that introduced our own network of servers to host the connection for those users who have had a hard time getting connected to other players online.

As a token of our appreciation to our customers who have waited patiently while we've addressed the on-line multiplayer difficulties, we present you with this 50% off coupon on purchasing a second copy of the digital version of Demigod for your friends or family. This will only be valid until early next week so this would be a good time to use it.

In addition, next week we will be sending out a second coupon that will give users 20% off of any game or application on Impulse. To help encourage an active Demigod community, we will be occasionally be sending out additional coupons to active players of Demigod (people who play more than a couple of hours a week).

We thank you for your business and hope you are able to enjoy these updates to Demigod.

The teams at Stardock and Gas Powered Games
*Offer Expires: May 29, 2009

Last edited by a moderator:
I think sending out coupons to those who play more often is a great business strategy. It's a good way of rewarding those customers who stick with the game through thick and thin and it's makes Stardock look pretty good at the same time.

Yes, If there is an extra coupon lying around that someone would part with, I'd love to get this game, so please PM me!!

Thanks CAGers!

I got a code from a friend yesterday -- and been playing this one a lot.

Never have I felt such in-game sadomasochistic abuse since the likes of UT3. I totally get the tar beat out of me most of the time, playing Demigod -- whether online against other players or offline against the computer -- and still wind up loving every minute of this abuse.

This game's fun and addictive.

I wish there was a tutorial to this game -- but, I'm getting the hang of using The Oak right now.

bread's done
Back