Purchase Destiny Digital version for PS3/360 Get a Free upgrade to PS4/Xbox One Version

ShockandAww

CAGiversary!
Feedback
110 (100%)
http://www.destinythegame.com/digital-upgrade

As title says. Buy a digital version of Destiny for 360 or PS3 and get a free upgrade to the Xbox One/PS4 digital version. Kind of a PSA more than a real deal but saw this at Neogaf.

Note 1: You must claim the Xbox One (standard or digital guardian) or PS4 version (standard or digital guardian) by January 15th 2015. You can do this online without even owning a PS4 or Xbox One console.  Simply go to the respective companies online store and claim your free upgrade license (by January 15th). If you do this you can then download the upgraded version at any time in the future.

Note 2: the deal is not cross console. You can't buy the 360 version then upgrade to the PS4 version. You have to do 360/Xbox One or PS3/PS4.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am hoping the 360 version will get situated and actually detailed by Monday night otherwise I am preordering and preloading that shit on my X1. I am not taking that Tuesday off to not maximize every moment of game time haha

From what I gather after reading other sources, the 360 version should be on the market but.just isn't yet. Seems sketchy but I assume it will show up around Tuesday. I think I will try and score a bundle with destiny for free, buy 360 on marketplace and sell hard copy if it does show up on Tuesday.

From what I gather after reading other sources, the 360 version should be on the market but.just isn't yet. Seems sketchy but I assume it will show up around Tuesday. I think I will try and score a bundle with destiny for free, buy 360 on marketplace and sell hard copy if it does show up on Tuesday.
As far as I know, X360 games are never up for preorder on Xbox Marketplace. Someone correct me if I'm wrong though.

In fact, looks like Xbox One digital games aren't usually up for preorder on there either. I don't know why MS is so assbackwards with e-commerce stuff when even Sony understands people want to preorder games.

As far as I know, X360 games are never up for preorder on Xbox Marketplace. Someone correct me if I'm wrong though.

In fact, looks like Xbox One digital games aren't usually up for preorder on there either. I don't know why MS is so assbackwards with e-commerce stuff when even Sony understands people want to preorder games.
This is part of the reason why I came to the conclusion that 360 digital will go up Tuesday. Xbone is obviously already up for disc and digital pre order where the only current 360 option is disc only.

My friend preordered digital Destiny for the XB1 from GS and this happened to him. He had to shell out money on top of the $60 when he tried to preload it. Maybe it's different for the 360? Idk. Just warning people.
Thanks for the warning, wish I knew that before. I ended up buying a $50 GS gift card on Amazon since I had a bunch of credit card bonus points. If I had known about this before, would have bought a Xbox gift card instead. Well I guess I get the sparrow preorder bonus from GS, but don't care much about it. :p

I know you can transfer PS3 saves to PS4, but can you transfer back or is it just a one time deal?  I wouldn't mind doing this to have the PS3 version in one location and the PS4 in another, but if I have to keep separate characters I'm not as interested.

Also, Gamers Club Unlocked doesn't work on digital downloads from bestbuy.com does it?  I just noticed Best Buy has digital editions available, but it didn't seem like my GCU was working on it.

I know you can transfer PS3 saves to PS4, but can you transfer back or is it just a one time deal? I wouldn't mind doing this to have the PS3 version in one location and the PS4 in another, but if I have to keep separate characters I'm not as interested.
From what those that tried this in the beta have said, it's not actually a save transfer. Their servers keep your character information and can be accessed from either device at any time.

From what those that tried this in the beta have said, it's not actually a save transfer. Their servers keep your character information and can be accessed from either device at any time.
Cool, thanks. I guess I have to decide if having a PS3 version is worth going digital and paying a little more for the PS4 version.

Thus the online only portion.

I kind of want to buy it but I know the PSN server is going to be slammed tuesday and I'd rather not for it to download the entire day X_X

I might just get a physical copy and let it download when I'm off to do my exam then sell the physical copy.

So when you buy the Digital Edition from Amazon or GS do you get the PS3 code right away so you can do the pre-load or do they send the code until the 9th. Sorry if someone already asked/answered this 

So when you buy the Digital Edition from Amazon or GS do you get the PS3 code right away so you can do the pre-load or do they send the code until the 9th. Sorry if someone already asked/answered this
Pretty sure you won't get the code till release day. The only way to pre-load is to preorder directly from PSN Store.

Pretty sure you won't get the code till release day. The only way to pre-load is to preorder directly from PSN Store.
Well that sucks, but does make sense. I cancelled my PS4 Limited edition since I don't have a PS4 and seeing this promotion the CAG in me wants to wait until BF to get a PS4 now that I can get Destiny for both PS3 & PS4. Now just gotta get some deals on credit for the PSN store =P~

Many people don't seem aware that you can pre-order 360 versions digitally from GameStop to get the bonuses. Not sure if there's any reason why this wouldn't count with the promotion.

Many people don't seem aware that you can pre-order 360 versions digitally from GameStop to get the bonuses. Not sure if there's any reason why this wouldn't count with the promotion.
The other issue is that with the current $5 YMMV stacking coupon at Gamestop, you can buy Xbox cards for credit on XBL, if you can buy Destiny on the marketplace for 360 you get 2 copies for free as some people have managed to amass quite a bit of return on these coupons. That's why I've been asking about ordering on the marketplace, personally.

So you will have both ver if u bought the Xbox1/360 or ps3/4 ver and not lose one of them

this is a great deal for those that only have a 360 or PS3 and know they will upgrade to a ONE or PS4 in the future. for most others, this adds no real value. I have a PS3 and PS4 and I see no reason why I would ever want to play Destiny on my PS3. I'll keep my pre-order...
It also works great for people like me, with friends who haven't upgraded to current gen and some that have. This will allow me to jump back and forth between the systems to play Destiny with all my friends.

For anyone who was considering this for PS3 and PS4 (like me) because you'd be able to get two sets of trophies if you wanted to play through the game twice, that won't be possible.  The game has a shared trophy list between both versions.

For anyone who was considering this for PS3 and PS4 (like me) because you'd be able to get two sets of trophies if you wanted to play through the game twice, that won't be possible. The game has a shared trophy list between both versions.
:cold: thanks for the info! i'll keep my order for the limited edition steelbook thingee on ps4 from best buy then!

99.99-(.2*99.99)=79.99 --> $79.99 + $10 reward cert was too good to pass up anyway :hot:

My uncle works at Nintendo and he told me that if you buy Destiny for Wii U you also get a free download for TurboGrafx-16.
Can we pre-load TurboGrafx-16?

The other issue is that with the current $5 YMMV stacking coupon at Gamestop, you can buy Xbox cards for credit on XBL, if you can buy Destiny on the marketplace for 360 you get 2 copies for free as some people have managed to amass quite a bit of return on these coupons. That's why I've been asking about ordering on the marketplace, personally.
I don't mean to be a dick, but can you expand on what exactly you meant with getting two games for free from the marketplace? Are you saying people have used so many $5 off GS coupons stacked that they essentially made $120 worth of XBL credit gratis?

I think I am going to cancel my XB1 limited edition tomorrow and just wait for the 360 to show up on the marketplace. I went through the entire thread and don't remember seeing this asked, but since BB now includes console bundles I figured I may as well ask. If we pre-ordered the Destiny PS4 bundle and then pre-order just the game, we will still only receive the $10 pre-order cert once, right?

Can we pre-load TurboGrafx-16?

I don't mean to be a dick, but can you expand on what exactly you meant with getting two games for free from the marketplace? Are you saying people have used so many $5 off GS coupons stacked that they essentially made $120 worth of XBL credit gratis?

I think I am going to cancel my XB1 limited edition tomorrow and just wait for the 360 to show up on the marketplace. I went through the entire thread and don't remember seeing this asked, but since BB now includes console bundles I figured I may as well ask. If we pre-ordered the Destiny PS4 bundle and then pre-order just the game, we will still only receive the $10 pre-order cert once, right?
Not sure how you'd be a dick by asking a legitimate question, but SURE I can elaborate, essentially if you go the digital route for Destiny you are in essence getting 2 games, 360 and X1. People have been racking up the XBL credit and whatever other credit you can get from GS via the $5 coupons.

You figure you get $60 worth of XBL credit from GS by stacking $60 worth of $5 coupons, that's a free digital copy of destiny, and since it's digital, you get the 360 AND X1 version.

This was my original plan but since I bought a Madden bundle with $60 XBL credit anyway, whatever I can get from GS tomorrow with the $5 coupons is just extra.

Not sure how you'd be a dick by asking a legitimate question, but SURE I can elaborate, essentially if you go the digital route for Destiny you are in essence getting 2 games, 360 and X1. People have been racking up the XBL credit and whatever other credit you can get from GS via the $5 coupons.

You figure you get $60 worth of XBL credit from GS by stacking $60 worth of $5 coupons, that's a free digital copy of destiny, and since it's digital, you get the 360 AND X1 version.

This was my original plan but since I bought a Madden bundle with $60 XBL credit anyway, whatever I can get from GS tomorrow with the $5 coupons is just extra.
Fair enough. I just wanted to throw that out there because it is hard to read someone's tone over the internet, so I didn't want you to think I was trying to be a smartass. I do appreciate your clarification, but it does leave me with one last question. What exactly is this $5 coupon? Is it the one for downloading Tyrant unleashed? Thanks in advance.

Aye, just got my refund from Sony on Destiny. Still have the PS4 version downloaded but that doesn't really matter lol,just bought the ps3 version 

It's x dollars towards a game on the xbox. It's not actually a code for the game. And yes, it has been answered. FFS, this topic is only five pages long .

So... If I have a PS3 right now but no PS4...

How would I obtain my PS4 copy?
Could someone provide me with a step by step process maybe?
IS IT THAT HARD TO READ THE fuckING WEBSITE THAT'S LINKED IN THE FIRST POST? It tells you the step by step process. When you buy a PS4, it will just know when you go to the game on the same gamertag as you bought it for on PS3. Instead of it saying buy or something, you should just be able to download it.

I bought the PS3 digital guardian edition on friday and still can't preload the PS4 version, hope they fix it up tomorrow and it isn't one of those things where we have to wait a week to play on PS4.

I'm glad they are offering this deal but putting it out 4 days before launch is pretty dumb, shoulda announced it a month ago and made sure to work out all the kinks long before the game going live.

Have both a PS3 and PS4.  Have Destiny pre-ordered for the PS4, but this deal has me thinking.

I have 2 questions:  If I buy this game for the PS3 can I download the PS4 version at midnight on release day (EST)?

Also, will the game allow you to jump back and forth between both systems and actually keep your progress?

Wouldn't mind having a PS3 version to play with some of my friends who don't yet have a PS4, but there is no way that I am going to do it unless my progress is tracked and updated on each console because I don't have the time to have to separate characters built up.

Thanks for any insight anyone here can give me. 

I bought the PS3 digital guardian edition on friday and still can't preload the PS4 version, hope they fix it up tomorrow and it isn't one of those things where we have to wait a week to play on PS4.

I'm glad they are offering this deal but putting it out 4 days before launch is pretty dumb, shoulda announced it a month ago and made sure to work out all the kinks long before the game going live.
someone said earlier that it shows up when the game is actually out, so if it isn't working Tuesday, then you can throw a fit about it.

you will at least have to wait til its released. There is no way to preload it prior, if you bought the ps3 version. The real question should be if you have to actually do the ps3 version first or just purchasin it enough?

Have both a PS3 and PS4. Have Destiny pre-ordered for the PS4, but this deal has me thinking.

I have 2 questions: If I buy this game for the PS3 can I download the PS4 version at midnight on release day (EST)?

Also, will the game allow you to jump back and forth between both systems and actually keep your progress?

Wouldn't mind having a PS3 version to play with some of my friends who don't yet have a PS4, but there is no way that I am going to do it unless my progress is tracked and updated on each console because I don't have the time to have to separate characters built up.

Thanks for any insight anyone here can give me.
see the first part of this post. As to your second question, EVERYTHING You buy on ps3 willtransfer to ps4. And your account will crossover between consoles.

Agreed but they probably threw in the free digital upgrade to target primarily for old gen users who were planning on next gen but were waiting for the holidays. It's a reassurance for them to sell as many old gen copies as well as new gen copies.

So for digital copies, we can't have access until exactly midnight? =(

Feeling I got screwed twice on this deal and probably three times for all the time I have wasted. 

First I bought the Digital Guardian version from Gamestop for the PS3 and told I would get the code now and the digital Pre-Order Bonus.  Got the Destiny Guardian Game code but not the pre-order bonus.  Told call on Tuesday and I can have a back-up code for pre-order bonus

Second get home and try inputting the PS3 digital code from Gamestop and get an error that it is invalid.  Call GS and ask WTF is going on and the manager said the code is valid and I need to call Sony.

Third I call Sony and spend 15 mins on the phone on hold to get someone who said the code is not active.  The code isn't going to be active until sometime on Tuesday.  So not only didn't get the PS4 version as some have mentioned I don't even have the PS3 version.  Asked Sony guy about my pre-order Destiny game and he said I didn't pre-order the game.  I just bought the code early.  Sorry what is a pre-order again?  Somehow I was under the impression they were one in the same thing

$90 gone for the moment and no idea when and if I will get anything for what I bought.  

Agreed but they probably threw in the free digital upgrade to target primarily for old gen users who were planning on next gen but were waiting for the holidays. It's a reassurance for them to sell as many old gen copies as well as new gen copies.

So for digital copies, we can't have access until exactly midnight? =(
if you are participating in this promotion, yes. Even if not, and you preload, you can't play til midnight anyways.

It's x dollars towards a game on the xbox. It's not actually a code for the game. And yes, it has been answered. FFS, this topic is only five pages long .
That's why I always apologize, in case I piss off someone. I asked for ps3 not xbox btw. Ended up going the PSN route :D/

Feeling I got screwed twice on this deal and probably three times for all the time I have wasted.

First I bought the Digital Guardian version from Gamestop for the PS3 and told I would get the code now and the digital Pre-Order Bonus. Got the Destiny Guardian Game code but not the pre-order bonus. Told call on Tuesday and I can have a back-up code for pre-order bonus

Second get home and try inputting the PS3 digital code from Gamestop and get an error that it is invalid. Call GS and ask WTF is going on and the manager said the code is valid and I need to call Sony.

Third I call Sony and spend 15 mins on the phone on hold to get someone who said the code is not active. The code isn't going to be active until sometime on Tuesday. So not only didn't get the PS4 version as some have mentioned I don't even have the PS3 version. Asked Sony guy about my pre-order Destiny game and he said I didn't pre-order the game. I just bought the code early. Sorry what is a pre-order again? Somehow I was under the impression they were one in the same thing

$90 gone for the moment and no idea when and if I will get anything for what I bought.
has been stated multiple times its a GC for Xbox. Not sure about the PS version. Might be the same thing going on.

That's why I always apologize, in case I piss off someone. I asked for ps3 not xbox btw. Ended up going the PSN route :D/
nah, its alright. Should have said something like my last post. That that's the way Xbox is, but not sure about PS. I would assume they are the same way if they just brought them out at the same time.

you will at least have to wait til its released. There is no way to preload it prior, if you bought the ps3 version. The real question should be if you have to actually do the ps3 version first or just purchasin it enough?

see the first part of this post. As to your second question, EVERYTHING You buy on ps3 willtransfer to ps4. And your account will crossover between consoles.
Hey Peyton--thanks for the reply man. I appreciate it.

The big question I have is will my progress keep going back and forth and be saved each time I play. So say for instance I play for like 3 days on the PS4 and get to level 15, I then fire up the PS3 will my character on the PS3 automatically be level 15? If so, if I play for a few days on the PS3 and get my character up to say level 25, when I play Destiny again on the PS4 will it now show my character as level 25 or will it still just be level 15 (the same level it was before)?

Hope this is not too confusing. Just hoping to be able to go back and forth between systems with friends and have my progress saved and built upon each time.

Thoughts?

The big question I have is will my progress keep going back and forth and be saved each time I play. So say for instance I play for like 3 days on the PS4 and get to level 15, I then fire up the PS3 will my character on the PS3 automatically be level 15? If so, if I play for a few days on the PS3 and get my character up to say level 25, when I play Destiny again on the PS4 will it now show my character as level 25 or will it still just be level 15 (the same level it was before)?

Hope this is not too confusing. Just hoping to be able to go back and forth between systems with friends and have my progress saved and built upon each time.

Thoughts?
yep, they are saying that's how its gonna work. The same character can be played cross platform and all that info as well. So if you leveled to 25 on ps3 then went to ps4, you would still be 25.

has been stated multiple times its a GC for Xbox. Not sure about the PS version. Might be the same thing going on.
Definitely not PSN credit when you buy the PS3 download code from Gamestop. It is the actual game code for Destiny Digital Guardian version.

If it was PSN credit then it would be valid right now and I could just buy the Digital PS3 version on PSN.

Have bought multiple PSN game downloads from Gamestop in the past and it is always the game you are buying digitally. I buy PSN Store credit from there as well when I want to take advantage of a sale that PSN is having.

I have never pre-ordered a Digital Download from Gamestop and would not have done it now if I knew I couldn't download the game in advance of launch date.

Well just used a $50 Gamestop gift card to preorder X360 digital version.Yeah I know they'll just send me Xbox credit, but figured might as well get sparrow bonus. :p

Speaking of Gamestop, I don't see the $50 gc I used anywhere on the order confirmation e-mail or on website. Is that normal?

Definitely not PSN credit when you buy the PS3 download code from Gamestop. It is the actual game code for Destiny Digital Guardian version.

If it was PSN credit then it would be valid right now and I could just buy the Digital PS3 version on PSN.

Have bought multiple PSN game downloads from Gamestop in the past and it is always the game you are buying digitally. I buy PSN Store credit from there as well when I want to take advantage of a sale that PSN is having.

I have never pre-ordered a Digital Download from Gamestop and would not have done it now if I knew I couldn't download the game in advance of launch date.
thanks for clearing this up. I'm sure someone else will ask in 2 or 3 posts. Sucks you got screwed so hard.

Thoughts?
all character and grimoire data is stored server side, just like an MMO. So yeah whatever you log in as it will be the latest version of your character. The downside is that you can only play with an internet connection, if the net goes down you can't play Destiny at all - even single player mode.

Also the data is only shared across same platform. PS3 and PS4 or 360/xbox one. If you own both the PS4 and Xbox One versions of Destiny they will not share characters, it will be basically two separate games with two sets of independent characters.

IS IT THAT HARD TO READ THE fuckING WEBSITE THAT'S LINKED IN THE FIRST POST? It tells you the step by step process. When you buy a PS4, it will just know when you go to the game on the same gamertag as you bought it for on PS3. Instead of it saying buy or something, you should just be able to download it.
I'm asking how I can secure or guarantee ownership of my ps4 copy without a ps4 since I'm not sure I'll have a ps4 by the January deadline.

bread's done
Back