Purchase Destiny Digital version for PS3/360 Get a Free upgrade to PS4/Xbox One Version

ShockandAww

CAGiversary!
Feedback
110 (100%)
http://www.destinythegame.com/digital-upgrade

As title says. Buy a digital version of Destiny for 360 or PS3 and get a free upgrade to the Xbox One/PS4 digital version. Kind of a PSA more than a real deal but saw this at Neogaf.

Note 1: You must claim the Xbox One (standard or digital guardian) or PS4 version (standard or digital guardian) by January 15th 2015. You can do this online without even owning a PS4 or Xbox One console.  Simply go to the respective companies online store and claim your free upgrade license (by January 15th). If you do this you can then download the upgraded version at any time in the future.

Note 2: the deal is not cross console. You can't buy the 360 version then upgrade to the PS4 version. You have to do 360/Xbox One or PS3/PS4.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just realized how lucky I was

Asked for refund on Friday, got it early Sunday which is when Destiny ps4 preloading was supposed to start

but it started preloading the day before or something so now i have 2 copies of Destiny, just that the ps4 version doesn't show up in the store as Free. Oh well.  Better than waiting until Wednesday to be able to download it lol 

Man, so I didn't realize there was that much interference having my xbox one upstairs.

Literally took 30 minutes to download destiny.

feels good man

I didn't notice that upstair it had a 4 mb connection......

unbelievable.

If you already have a current gen console, why would you want to play on last gen? Makes no sense to me. The whole point of the promotion is to give people more incentive to upgrade hardware. You won't get them to do that if they already have a current gen console, duh. :roll:
Exactly my point.

So buying the Destiny xbox 360 standard edition for $59.99 will also give me the pre-order bonuses free (included)? Since the upgrade to Xbox one right now is the launch edition which includes the vanguard pre-order items

Can I get the free XBox One copy from xbox.com or do i need a physical console?
I only have a 360 and don't know if I'll get an XBox One before the promotion ends.

Has anyone gotten their codes from the Gamestop xbox 360 digital order? If anyone has done anything like this from Gamestop before what was your experience?
Nothing yet for me. The website says the download code will be emailed by noon today. I was hoping it would actually be earlier than that but it looks like maybe not. :)

Nothing yet for me. The website says the download code will be emailed by noon today. I was hoping it would actually be earlier than that but it looks like maybe not. :)
You guys do realize gamestops xbox digital pre-orders are just xbox currency right?

I gave up trying to get my Gamestop PS3 Destiny Digital Guardian Code to work at 1AM.  Tried the code again this morning at 6:30 CST and it worked no problem.  Came up as Crossbuy for PS3 and PS4 already and is downloading to my PS3 now

If you already have a current gen console, why would you want to play on last gen? Makes no sense to me. The whole point of the promotion is to give people more incentive to upgrade hardware. You won't get them to do that if they already have a current gen console, duh. :roll:
I'm doing this because I have a number of friends who have not yet gotten a PS4. Now I can play Destiny with friends on both my PS3 and PS4 (Yes I know PS3 and PS4 players can't play together) without losing any of my progress.

This is a great deal for me. To each his own.

I'm doing this because I have a number of friends who have not yet gotten a PS4. Now I can play Destiny with friends on both my PS3 and PS4 (Yes I know PS3 and PS4 players can't play together) without losing any of my progress.

This is a great deal for me. To each his own.
Isn't it tied to your psn account though and they would have to login to your psn account to dl it?

So buying the Destiny xbox 360 standard edition for $59.99 will also give me the pre-order bonuses free (included)? Since the upgrade to Xbox one right now is the launch edition which includes the vanguard pre-order items
I haven't noticed any vanguard items yet on the 360 version. I think It's just the Xbox one version that gets it.

Isn't it tied to your psn account though and they would have to login to your psn account to dl it?
He didn't say anything about sharing the game with someone else. He meant that some of his friends have not bought a PS4 yet and only have PS3, so they will buy Destiny on last gen. He has a current gen (PS4), and would prefer it there, but would lose playing with his friends who still haven't upgraded to current gen. Now he gets to play with old gen friends, and still also get a copy for current gen.

Exactly why this deal works great for me too. Now I get to play with my 360 buddies, and still get a XB1 version when I play solo.

Anyone got the 360 and xbox one upgrade already? Can't wait to go home and try it out.
Some posted a few pages ago that is worked immediately once you buy the 360 version, that the XB1 version would then unlock. I will try it later today once I get the credit/code from Gamestops digital order of the game. I can wait a day or two to play this.

He didn't say anything about sharing the game with someone else. He meant that some of his friends have not bought a PS4 yet and only have PS3, so they will buy Destiny on last gen. He has a current gen (PS4), and would prefer it there, but would lose playing with his friends who still haven't upgraded to current gen. Now he gets to play with old gen friends, and still also get a copy for current gen.

Exactly why this deal works great for me too. Now I get to play with my 360 buddies, and still get a XB1 version when I play solo.

Some posted a few pages ago that is worked immediately once you buy the 360 version, that the XB1 version would then unlock. I will try it later today once I get the credit/code from Gamestops digital order of the game. I can wait a day or two to play this.
But say someone convinces their friend to buy the ps3 version so they can get ps4 version for themselves free. They would still have to login to their friends psn account on their ps4 in order to dl it right? I'm just assuming that would be how it works because that is how I would do it. Buy the ps3 copy of destiny the server recognizes you bought it and lets you dl the ps4 version without paying.

Progress isn't lost on the XBox. I played till level 3 on my 360, logged off and then logged back in on my one, nothing is stored on the console, everything is stored server side.

Is the general consensus that Xbox 360 will have the most number of Destiny players due to sheer number of consoles available? Obviously PS4 is better technical wise but in terms of game population, where will I find the most number of people to play with?

But say someone convinces their friend to buy the ps3 version so they can get ps4 version for themselves free. They would still have to login to their friends psn account on their ps4 in order to dl it right? I'm just assuming that would be how it works because that is how I would do it. Buy the ps3 copy of destiny the server recognizes you bought it and lets you dl the ps4 version without paying.
Nightmare was dead on with his earlier reply.

As far as what you're asking now, Yes, you would have to log into your friends PSN account to play the game on the PS4.

One other thing about the PS4 download, I know the digital upgrade site (link on the 1st page of this thread) shows that the PS4 digital version may not be available for download until sometime on 09/10/14.  Just wanted everyone to know that it is available now for downloaded (I'm currently downloading mine now).  When I went to the Playstation Store to redeem my PS3 code it listed the PS4 version as being available.  After I downloaded the PS3 version (a little less than 8GB), I fired up the PS4 and went to the Store.  It showed the Digital Guardian version as being purchased so I just started the download.  It's about 17GB.

With the $50 promo code I got from Best Buy for my cancelled PS4 Limited Edition, coupled with this deal, I am pretty satisfied right now.

One other thing about the PS4 download, I know the digital upgrade site (link on the 1st page of this thread) shows that the PS4 digital version may not be available for download until sometime on 09/10/14. Just wanted everyone to know that it is available now for downloaded (I'm currently downloading mine now). When I went to the Playstation Store to redeem my PS3 code it listed the PS4 version as being available. After I downloaded the PS3 version (a little less than 8GB), I fired up the PS4 and went to the Store. It showed the Digital Guardian version as being purchased so I just started the download. It's about 17GB.

With the $50 promo code I got from Best Buy for my cancelled PS4 Limited Edition, coupled with this deal, I am pretty satisfied right now.
Already mentioned that it was crossbuy and available now above

Yes, I would assume that is how it would work if you wanted different people to access it. Once you downlowd on a system, that system would also be approved to use it, so someone who has Destiny bought in their account would have to use said account to download on a different PS4, etc. That is the consensus from what I've read here, and it should work (I say I assume at the beginning cause I've just never done the practice, but you're correct).

Nightmare was dead on with his earlier reply.

As far as what you're asking now, Yes, you would have to log into your friends PSN account to play the game on the PS4.
And you don't have to be logged in to the psn account associated with the purchase once its all downloaded? Seems like it would be more hassle then it's worth to login to 2 separate psn accounts just to play destiny every time.

Is the general consensus that Xbox 360 will have the most number of Destiny players due to sheer number of consoles available? Obviously PS4 is better technical wise but in terms of game population, where will I find the most number of people to play with?
Probably. Is everybody lumped into the same servers? And if you judge your game purchases based on population don't. There will be plenty of people to play with on whatever you buy it on.

Already mentioned that it was crossbuy and available now above
Didn't see it mentioned that the PS4 crossbuy was available for download anywhere. If I missed it, then my bad. I know that the original info was that we would be able to download the PS3 version right away, but may be waiting until noon tomorrow (09/10/14) before we could download our free PS4 version.

And you don't have to be logged in to the psn account associated with the purchase once its all downloaded? Seems like it would be more hassle then it's worth to login to 2 separate psn accounts just to play destiny every time.

Probably. Is everybody lumped into the same servers? And if you judge your game purchases based on population don't. There will be plenty of people to play with on whatever you buy it on.
What I was saying is that you could technically download the PS3 version on your PS3. You could then go over to your friends house and log into your PSN account and download the PS4 version. So now you have versions at 2 different locations. However, the only way your friend is going to be able to play the PS4 version is if he logs in under your PSN. From everything I've read, the digital copies are tied into your PSN.

FYI, just got my Xbox credits code from Gamespot for X360 digital preorder. Downloading now! Can't wait to play after work tonight. :D

Are they not going to have the Destiny Digital Guardian Edition for X360?
I second this question. Anyone know?
Third?

Found this http://www.destinythegame.com/digital-upgrade. If you scroll down to xbox part no mention of anything but the base game. Scroll upto playstation they have this question "Q. When I buy/redeem the Destiny Digital Base Game, Digital Guardian Edition, or Expansion Pass for PlayStation®3, how do I get the free PlayStation®4 version?"

Tell me if you think this confirms it so I can start this massive download already...

Hopefully someone here can answer this since I didn't see it in any of the posts:

I want to buy the 360 digital version to play with my wife. I'll also get the free One version to play when she doesn't feel like playing games. If I download the 360 version on her console using my gamertag, will I also be able to download it on my 360 console so that I'll essentially end up with 3 copies of the game: one copy licensed to her 360 console, one copy licensed to my gamertag for use on my 360, and one copy licensed to my xbox one console/gamertag?

I normally buy and download games this way (download on her console first then mine granting a console license to her 360) I just didn't know if it was different with the destiny deal where the downloads are only able to be used by the gamertag that downloaded them.

Thanks for anyone's help with this.

Ok, now that this is live, I have an odd question. I bought the limited edition but am thinking of trading the disk in to get in on this promotion. Would the dlc with the PS4 limited be available with the PS3 version, or would I have had to go the other way for that to work?

Anyone got the 360 and xbox one upgrade already? Can't wait to go home and try it out.

It worked for me too. Well I don't have a Xbox One, but I was able to grab the upgrade for free on the Xbox website. To be be more specific, the "Destiny Launch Edition" for Xbox One. Here's a link.

https://store.xbox.com/en-US/Xbox-One/Games/Destiny-Launch-Edition/26891737-0c9f-4a66-9ae6-3b76bc04e951

Ok, now that this is live, I have an odd question. I bought the limited edition but am thinking of trading the disk in to get in on this promotion. Would the dlc with the PS4 limited be available with the PS3 version, or would I have had to go the other way for that to work?
Been answered a million times... it's an upgrade guys, UPGRADE. You need to buy the PS3 version to then get PS4 version for free.

What I was saying is that you could technically download the PS3 version on your PS3. You could then go over to your friends house and log into your PSN account and download the PS4 version. So now you have versions at 2 different locations. However, the only way your friend is going to be able to play the PS4 version is if he logs in under your PSN. From everything I've read, the digital copies are tied into your PSN.
You see that's the thing. I don't want to leave my psn on another persons machine even if I trust them. And if I was purchasing for personal use I couldn't care less about the ps3 version seeing how I would want to gouge my eyes out because i know what the ps4 version looks like

Has anyone confirmed that you can register the PS4 version without a PS4 via the web store?  I only have a PS3, but plan on getting a PS4 eventually, and would love to take advantage of this promotion.  I'm just not sure I'm going to get a PS4 before January.

If so, does anyone have a link to the website through which you can do so?  Thanks.

Are they not going to have the Destiny Digital Guardian Edition for X360?

I second this question. Anyone know?

Third?

Found this http://www.destinythegame.com/digital-upgrade. If you scroll down to xbox part no mention of anything but the base game. Scroll upto playstation they have this question "Q. When I buy/redeem the Destiny Digital Base Game, Digital Guardian Edition, or Expansion Pass for PlayStation®3, how do I get the free PlayStation®4 version?"

Tell me if you think this confirms it so I can start this massive download already...
It doesn't look like the Digital Guardian Edition exists on the 360. I can't imagine they would get the Standard version of the game out at 3am on launch day and not have the DGE out at the same time if it was an option. Maybe somewhere in the future they offer $5 back if you buy the Season Pass and Base Game now to make up for it but seems unlikely to happen.

Also if you look at the details about the Season Pass for 360 it doesn't mention anything about "do not purchase this if you bought the digital guardian edition" but it does mention not to purchase it if you purchased the LE or Ghost edition.

You see that's the thing. I don't want to leave my psn on another persons machine even if I trust them. And if I was purchasing for personal use I couldn't care less about the ps3 version seeing how I would want to gouge my eyes out because i know what the ps4 version looks like
I was just answering your question, not suggesting that you do this. As I've said before, this is a good deal for some (especially those who want to play with friends who don't have a PS4) and an unattractive deal to others.

Your call on what you want to do.

Been answered a million times... it's an upgrade guys, UPGRADE. You need to buy the PS3 version to then get PS4 version for free.
Missing my point. I'd be trading in my disk to get the PS3 version to upgrade to the PS4, but I already have the ps4 dlc. Since its been reported that the characters migrate between accounts, I was wondering of that applied to the dlc packs. Honestly I'd be surprised if it did, but worth checking now that it's on.

Since I can't wait for Microsoft to confirm on the DGE for the X360. I went ahead and purchase the standard digital version so I can upgrade it to XB1. I'm going to be really upset if they get this on the Marketplace later on down the road.

Good ol PSN.  If you buy the PS3 digital version right now, you get the PS4 version fine.  If you preordered the PS3 version you don't.  Hope they fix this shit today sometime.

i prteordered also now its saying i havent even purchased destiny for ps3 game is 25 gigs i got 7 gig preload something is not right here

then thus deal isn't for you.

bread's done
Back