Purchased 512MB Video Card. Got 1GB?

Rouzhokuu

CAGiversary!
Feedback
34 (100%)
Is this normal?

I bought an Nvidia GT240 512MB video card from Newegg, and installed it today. Except, everywhere that I've checked that lists video card memory, it's showing it as a 1GB card. Everything else is accurate. DDR5, etc.

I'm just curious.. is there a reason for this?

[quote name='Rouzhokuu']Is this normal?

I bought an Nvidia GT240 512MB video card from Newegg, and installed it today. Except, everywhere that I've checked that lists video card memory, it's showing it as a 1GB card. Everything else is accurate. DDR5, etc.

I'm just curious.. is there a reason for this?[/QUOTE]
Could it be borrowing 512 of your system RAM too?

Both the box and the card said 512mb. Hmm, I don't think it's borrowing any RAM. I'm using the same amount that I usually do.

[quote name='Rouzhokuu']Both the box and the card said 512mb. Hmm, I don't think it's borrowing any RAM. I'm using the same amount that I usually do.[/QUOTE]
Maybe, they don't make the 512mb version anymore and are putting in the 1gb version in leftover 512mb boxes?

What brand is it?

What OS are you using and how much RAM is installed on it? Like WSB said, there is a good chance that you have RAM being used as video RAM and that doubled up with your new card is showing 1GB.

If you have 4GB of RAM on a 32bit system, the system won't recognize all of it and the rest might be used as video RAM.

bread's done
Back