Purchasing a 360 for special circumstances. Need advice, Arcade or Pro?

rywateska

CAGiversary!
Feedback
100 (100%)
I'm going to be purchasing a new 360 for my fraternity's chapter room within the next few days. I've run into the issue of deciding in between the Arcade or Pro systems. Considering that online play will not be used, is it really that much off a loss to pick up the Arcade system? We'd probably only use it to play sports games and I believe the pack-in memory unit would suffice for game saves.

Is there anything else that I'm missing out on there? I've heard a rumor that you can pull full 360 games onto the hard drive for future play. How many games can fit on the standard 60gb hard drive? Will this be worth it ?

Purchasing an Arcade saves an extra $100 for games and accessories while still giving the light gaming/dvd support that is necessary. Still, would the benefits of an easy save system/game pulls be worth the extra $100? I'm under a budget for this so I'd rather save as much as possible to put towards accessories and games in the long run.

Arcade seems right for your needs. If you're not really going online, I imagine you're not going to be buying much DLC or downloading demos. The only thing you really miss out on is installing games on the hard drive. The time saved installing games to the HD depends on the game itself. Not sure how big a deal it'll be if you're only using it for sport games.

Also check out sites like Dell.com for deals. I got my Arcade for $169 (before tax) with a 15% off coupon they had going on at the time.

If you find you want to install a game, Microsoft is running a promotion to Arcade owners to give you a 20GB Hard Drive+3 months live for $30. Link

So if you can stack it with something like a 15% off coupon, an Arcade+20GB HD + 3 months Live for around $200 is not a bad deal at all. I'm thinking that'll be enough for you guys.

[quote name='V878']Arcade seems right for your needs. If you're not really going online, I imagine you're not going to be buying much DLC or downloading demos. The only thing you really miss out on is installing games on the hard drive. The time saved installing games to the HD depends on the game itself. Not sure how big a deal it'll be if you're only using it for sport games.

Also check out sites like Dell.com for deals. I got my Arcade for $169 (before tax) with a 15% off coupon they had going on at the time.

If you find you want to install a game, Microsoft is running a promotion to Arcade owners to give you a 20GB Hard Drive+3 months live for $30. Link

So if you can stack it with something like a 15% off coupon, an Arcade+20GB HD + 3 months Live for around $200 is not a bad deal at all. I'm thinking that'll be enough for you guys.[/quote]
Agreed. You'll probably want a little more space for multiple accounts/saves, and the download-to-drive function will save wear on your XBox (but you'll only be able to put a few on with a 20gb). Go for the arcade/20GB combo if you want to go the cheap route.

Last edited by a moderator:
also if you ever plan on playing original XBOX games you won't be able to because the Arcade system isn't BC. You'll need a hard drive to play XBOX games.

Arcade would be just fine for your purposes. And you can get a 20gb hard drive from Microsoft or off ebay for $25 if you want to upgrade it to a "Pro" in the future.

bread's done
Back