Purchasing a Videogame store: What would make you want to come to my place?

[quote name='CounterSeal']Just a thought... maybe you'd want to distinguish your store from the EBs and GStops by focusing more on PC hardware. EB did sell video cards when I visited a few years ago, not sure if they still do. But they barely advertised it at all. As of now, Eb and GStop are all about game software and console hardware. No PC components such as motherboards, video cards, sound cards, physics cards, etc. People usually go to newegg.com for that type of stuff, or even Fry's. But you have the potential to stand out of the competition by being an actual brick and mortar store that sells PC components for gaming. Heck, you could even enhance your store into an actual PC building/repairs shop, provided that you can find the necessary labor.[/quote]
I dont think he should go the PC component selling route, but should go the repair/upgrade route. Let them buy what they want, and you will build it for them or repair it for them.

Also, for your kiosks, dont put shit games in therem especially not those generic demo discs of game from launch. Put in one of your best used titles that provide some quick pick up action!

EDIT: is your store in a mall? (sorry if you answered this already)

I dont know if you have room for his, but one of the local gaming shops around here offers an easy lan-party system, in which they have like 4 tv's and 4 xbox 360's that they rent out per hour. It makes it easy for friends to play lan party games without ahving to have to lug around systems, games, controlelrs and TV's.

In going along with the encouraging complete trades, I would just do something simple like deductions for missing items. Maybe the person loses 10% for not having the manual and 20% for not having the case (give or take depending on your preference) Cartridge games on the other hand are usually NOT complete, so maybe give a little extra for manual and box for those games.

To everyone who keeps saying "nice store". Every single play-n-trade looks like this. Visit one if you have one around you.

[quote name='mtxbass1']To everyone who keeps saying "nice store". Every single play-n-trade looks like this. Visit one if you have one around you.[/QUOTE]

Seconded. If it is a Play-N-Trade you're opening, change the lighting. That alone would cause me to go to your store.

Every time I walk into my local one, it feels like walking into a movie theater with all the low lighting.

Try to get as many RPGs as you can traded in, since they on average retain their value better over time than say a Madden or a new FPS.

[quote name='bingbangboom']14. Sorry we don't have a punching in the throat policy.

Here is another picture of what the store layout looks like.

Picture024.jpg
[/quote]

How bout a furry of uppercuts to the chin policy? Less chance of crushing the larynx therefore, no liability. A clean and fresh smelling store would be great. God knows how much I hate walking in and I smell diaper shit, or sweaty geek in the air. I'm all for retro stuff as well. I have nephews from 10-19 years old playing Punch Out on my Wii VC, and they're loving it. Let the new generation experience what we grew up with. I'm 28 with two boys (2, and 2 weeks). I know they will play the retro stuff one day. It'll bring people like me into your store for sure!

That store looks really sweet!

As a former EB Games employee of 2 years and a Gamers employee for another year (small mom & pop chain that thinks that they can compete with EB Games / Gamestop), here are a few suggestions.

1) Don't think that you can compete with them. Not trying to sound mean, but you are dealing with a 4000 store goliath. You must do what they don't do. For instance, back at EB when they were no longer taking in old school systems, my co-workers and I would tell them to visit a small mom & pop store because they carried both current and past gen software and hardware. A few things that you can do to separate yourself from them is to do what they don't do, such as:

a) Carry old-school games, systems, and accessories
b) Carry used strategy guides - I'm not sure how many times people
wanted a strategy guide for a used game that was purchased because
they got stuck, and we had to tell them to check out gamefaqs.
c) Offer a discount both in trade-in-credit as well as sale price if somebody
brings in an incomplete game. Some people don't care and would want
to get a game - the cheaper the better.
d) Forget pc games - they sit on the shelves and gather dust. For every 1 pc
game somebody purchased, we moved at least 20+ console games.
e) VIP customers - there are some customers who come in and buy a game
every now and then, and then there are some gamers who drop serious
$$$$. Keep records of all of your customers and an ongoing total of how
much they have spent at your store(s). Those who have spent / or have
been spending extra money should get a better discount than those who
are the regular thrifty gamer.
f) Import games are great, but I wouldn't just buy a bunch of import games.
Focus your attention on games that are going to be instant sales or that
you know your hardcore devoted fans would pick up. For instance, there
was one store my co-worker friends and I would frequent to pick up the
latest import on the Dreamcast since our store hardly touched imports.
g) Tournaments are nice, but they should not interfere with business. I
would recommend doing tham after business hours.
h) Cross-marketing. By that I mean, if there are other stores that your
target market may frequent such as a comic store, movie theater, etc.
Trade flyers with them. It's cheap marketing.
i) Matching the competition is great, but don't be bound to it. Sometimes
these goliath companies do these crazy lost-leaders to drive customers
into the stores so they can buy other stuff.
j) Anime - I would carry used dvds of anime, but forget the other stuff as it
generally takes up space and gathers dust.
k) Knowledgable & professional staff - Stuff like t-shirts, shorts, not being
clean shaved just does not look professional. They should be courteous,
and they should be passionate about games. What got me to work at EB
as a fun second job was that when I was a customer there, I felt
welcome, and the staff was PASSIONATE about gaming. The assistant
manager (who has been a good friend of mine since back then) and I
would talk about awesome imports, obscure games, developers and
studio's track records, etc. People who really know their stuff especially if
they can appreciate both the hardcore gamers as well as the regular is
invaluable.
l) Atmosphere - Create a gaming mood. Televisions and various game
systems are great, but if I came into a store hearing various game
soundtracks playing - I would be really impressed!
m) Getting the hot game when it comes out. Nothing is a mood-killer and
sales-killer like when you go into your favorite mom&pop store to buy
the latest and greatest, and they are still waiting for the game while
all of the big stores have it. They want to give you a chance; but if you
disappoint them too much, they won't come as often.

Those are my 2 cents! Hope it all works out well!

[quote name='bingbangboom']13. Oh well, I honestly don't know. I think that has happened to me once. I know at Toys R Us, we started to get in dummy cases where we would already have new titles pre-printed with a dvd case. I am honestly not that picky with things like that. So more than likely it will happen. If the game hasn't been used and is sealed, then whats the difference?[/QUOTE]

do you know how to order the clamshells (dummy cases) that you run out of? if not, pm me and i will tell you. i work at TRU and we can order them through a certain website... not sure if it is only for TRU or not, you may be able to sign your new business up under them, which would help a lot IMO since a lot of people don't like having their "new" game opened before buying it and paying full price.

[quote name='Chalavet']
d) Forget pc games - they sit on the shelves and gather dust. For every 1 pc
game somebody purchased, we moved at least 20+ console games.
[/QUOTE]

This is only half right... concentrate on the biggest ones instead.

World of Warcraft: Burning Crusade sold something like 2 million copies the day it came out... no console game can compete with that. Sims 2 expansions sell like gangbusters, as well.

Take a look at the Top 10 sales numbers for PC games each month and you'll see it is dominated by Sims 2, WoW, and occasionally an RTS or Battlefield game. Those are the ones you'll want to carry since those will probably sell.

WoW for $20 is an easy sell to anyone with a computer. I see people buying it constantly when I'm out.

Also, I can understand not wanting to overnight every new release, but it's imperative you at least overnight the BIG releases. Your Pokemon's, your Madden's, your Halo's, your GTA's... customers WILL come in for these on release day, probably after EB / GS / whoever sell out, and if you're the store to have them, well, they are going to remember that and come back. If you don't have them (i.e the shipment didn't come in) they will write you off forever.

A local store here got GTA San Andreas 3 or 4 days AFTER it came out... after that, everyone already found a copy, and the store missed out on some important sales. Hell, I even went there to score a copy and when they didn't have it, I just went to Best Buy or something.

The bonus is that you can probably break the street date as well and not get caught... lots of local stores broke the street date on Pokemon, and that will bring a lot of traffic to your store.

I hate the notion that game stores "should" carry anime... I play games, I despise anime, it's a shitty stereotype that gets thrown on anyone who is a gamer simply because "both of them come from Japan", I guess.

You should have lots of out-of-the-ordinary games for REASONABLE prices. Otherwise, why would I come to your store when I can go elsewhere? EBGames used to have a good selection of PSX and N64/DC games at cheap prices but after the merger... :bomb:

About the look of the store - I don't like it. It looks cool and clean, but it's not appealing. If you were selling new high tech stuff it could work but since you're selling used games, how does the black and dimly lit store attract kids and their parents?

Good luck though.

First of all, reduce your profit margins on used games. In order for you to compete with EB and Gamestop, that will be key. Use that in conjunction with tournaments that are organized with the local community.

Every time a tournament is held, pimp the fact to everyone there that you will give credit 10% above whatever EB/Gamestop are offering to buy games and you will sell those same games for 10% less than EB/Gamestop. Basically you'll be making 20% less, but as long as you're turning a profit, it won't hurt you and you can't expect EB/Gamestop to actually strike back either since the company isn't going to change their prices in order to fight your little start-up.
Get that out to the mothers of the town around Christmas and you will be making bank.

Also you should especially have a philosophy to not take in games that don't work or are especially scratched up. This way you'll develop a trust issue with more of your hardcore fanbase. Keep a database of the condition of games you receive so that if someone comes back with a scratched up game, you can tell them that it wasn't sold like that and be able to protect yourself and reject the refund.

Money will talk and bullshit will walk.

Also display more recognizable games such as Battle Stadium D.O.N., Wrestle Kingdom, and other games that appeal to underground niches behind the counter. The games that every single customer will look at will be the ones behind the counter when they buy something so you should set up a display behind there and show off more of the unique games there. This way you're not just another Electronics Boutique towing what you're told to sell by the higher-ups.

Don't know if anyone has said this, but the ONLY reason I buy games at retail from EB instead of other locations is that they have a 14 day return policy even if the games are open. So, having a return policy would get my business, topped off with slightly better deals than EB and I'd be there for sure. So you might want to consider that...maybe not 2 weeks, but like 5 days or something.

[quote name='Roufuss']This is only half right... concentrate on the biggest ones instead.

World of Warcraft: Burning Crusade sold something like 2 million copies the day it came out... no console game can compete with that. Sims 2 expansions sell like gangbusters, as well.

[/quote]

I don't know about that. Halo 2 and Madden?

1. Run big add banners outside your store to lure in new customers, like preorder specials on super hot new games, for instance GTA for $55 when preordered. You won't be making much on new games anyhow, but with a preorder they've got to visit your store to preorder then again to purchase, that's 2 trips for them to pick up extra merchandise.

2. Try to stock a good assortment of accesories for popular systems, they have a good profit margin and if they look cool/unique people will be willing to buy extra controllers and cases they don't really need.

3. Stock a diverse DS library, one of the biggest weaknesses of nearly GS I've been to is a very small generic selection of both new and used DS games despite how popular the system is. Yes most people are going to be buying Pokemon and Mario Kart DS but what are they going to buy they already own them? I'm not saying stock 20 copies of puzzle quest but having a couple in stock will give you an advantage over the platry selection availabe at GS.

4. With trade-in credit you don't nessasarily need to offer better trade-in on all games than GS, simply offer better trade-in values on hot titles (which you can turn around quicker). When people come in to trade in their hot games they'll often bring a couple of others with them.

5. Be very careful about selling older games, 90% of the old games people will consistently want (in your town) will probably be from a group of less than 50 games, yet 90% of what people will want to trade in will be crap like madden 2002. Basically try to see what people want and how much they are willing to pay before you start loading up on old games.

6. IMO running tournaments (especially during buisness hours) is a bad idea, you're not running a comic/trading card store, having a steady group of customers hanging around your shop is not only going to distract you, but the people likely to congregate might be a bit creepy. Videogames aren't something you hang around a shop and discuss or play.

[quote name='mtxbass1']To everyone who keeps saying "nice store". Every single play-n-trade looks like this. Visit one if you have one around you.[/QUOTE]

I've never seen one, nor do I have one around me. So thats why I said nice store.

[quote name='quanex']Put your business online.[/quote]

Seriously. Can the store idea. Take the inventory and put it online. Open it up to a worldwide market and also much cheaper to operate. You are going to have to figure out how to do trade-ins though online. Probably could do it like Estarland.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I don't know about that. Halo 2 and Madden?[/QUOTE]

I don't think Madden comes close to 2.4 million in 24 hours, but according to reports Halo 2 also did 2.4 million. They both have the same amount of sell through rate too.

The point still stands though, to cut out ALL PC games would be ridiculous, just carry the few that are guaranteed sellers like World of Warcraft.

Because if Blizzard ever releases another expansion pack with a Limited Edition, you're going to want to hop on that fo sho.

I'd definitely get Halo 3 with next day, and find a way to "break" street date in a discreet way.. that'll get you some lifelong shoppers. Maybe give your best customers first crack at it before anyone else.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Again it is in the very early stages. If anyone has ever been to a Play N Trade, the franchise of the store, please private message me. I would love to know your experiences. Also remember and I do too, this is a new store so I know the best way to get customers is through customer service and not so much pricing. While I do have some power over that, there is an overrall POS system that is constantly updated so that helps with trade in values.

- I wasn't knocking so much the fact that imports are bad. I just havn't investigated it. Pricing, game selection and vendors. That will come over time. If it makes people happy I will do it. More than likely I would start with a couple of titles. I would honestly be more interesting in japaneese acceosiries ala cases for DS or other items.

- The layout is done through the franchise. The reason for the dark lighting is for less interferance on the LCD tvs. Nothing like trying the latest Rainbow Six game and getting shot point blank because of a bright light shining on the screen. I personally would have had some changes because I do like a brighter store but they do have a point with the fact to keep it dark.

- I would love to get some gamer music and videos and that kinda stuff. Problem is I think as a store you do have to license it. That means I can't just play music, I would have to pay for it. I can look into it. I would also like to order items like say the Master Sword or other videogame replicas. Maybe even the Halo 2 Spartan full size armor? LOL

- The sort of membership card is really up to the store. I know they have a program where you can use which I would like. Typically I would rather not charge for something like this, but it really depends. Also there is no real magazine like Game Informer for the stores, so no pushing magazines or pre-orders as I had mentioned before.

- Ideal location would be a shopping plaza. I feel with a mall, might be harder with the higher renting fee and the fact that alot of traffic would be people not interested in buying anything. Also for tournaments and such, would get too packed. At least a plaza people can hang around out front.

- Sorry, I agree about PC games. Unless it is one of the top selling, they tend to sit and collect dust. Your Sims and WOW are a rare breed. In addition alot of these games tend to drop very fast. I also agree there is more piracy with them and alot of people are investing into direct downloads. I would carry a couple.

- Can't do an online store. I can promote online, but not an online retailer. To my knowledge it is very hard. I remember a store online that just dropped their whole videogame section not that long ago and listed reasons why.

- There is a method of cleaning games that is a service. It is a possiblity that I would use that on every trade in game. That would solve alot of those issues. It will advertise the cleaning service too. Just incase you were to say buy a game at Gamestop and wanted it cleaned.

- No crappy games in kiosk. Trust me and these are not supplied by the publisher or manufacture. You can ask to play a game. Typically it will just be a very popular game or fun game.

- I do love that school idea with their report cards. One thing that I would do is require a certain age for trade in. Possibly 16 but I think that is by the states law. You wouldn't want your 10 year old grabbing your 360 games and tradiing them in.

- Return policy, I can't do that 14 days and returning an opened game. Again, I am a gamer and not a stupid one. Most games now you can beat in a weekend. I had a friend that had a little scam going on with Gamestop where he would return a new game every week. You can exchange it if there is a problem. You can try the game before you buy. Its the same reason why you can't really returned opened DVDs. If I did that, then those people mad about gutting games would be pissed at you.

- As far as getting new games, again it really depends on the vendor and what the owner orders. Gamestop and the other stores are bigger companies so they can get more quanity. As this franchise continues, they will get that access. Again the quanity of some games in certain stores can be iffy. I know from my knowledge alot of the people that go into this franchise are not gamers. They know Mario and thats it. THey are all old farts. I am 25, today is my birthday. Thats kinda why I want to do this now. I don't want to think of what I could have done. I would really love to change the industry standards. Even before Gamestop bought EB Games, they were basically the same store. If this does force them to change wouldn't it be better for everyone? Instead of someone begging you to pre-order Madden 08, how about someone asking what type of games do you like and what do you have then asking if you would want to play a certain game.

- I used to work at TRU so I know about their clamshells. They might have a similar system. If not there is the possiblity of making a copy of the insert and using standard dvd cases.

Keep the suggestions coming :)

Again if you have been to a Play N Trade store, please PM me with your feedback.

Umm, if you can, sell cans of soda and candy...I've just always liked the idea...people who walk in to look around might get thirsty and buy a soda from you when they leave. Seriously, 12 packs can be as cheap as $2, at 50 cents a can, that's $3 of profit.

As for girls as employees, yes, make sure they're sweet, nice, and fun to be around. Don't dress them blah, make sure they dress cute. The stripper idea would work, but you don't have to do that, just jeans and cute shirts and SMILES = ) [oh and pretty hair]

I'd be in heaven if you had imports and anime and J-pop, but many people don't feel like this. Games really aren't as "Japanese" as they used to be, so lots of people who like games could careless about anime or whatever. Maybe a small section? Put it next to a whole section of RPG's.

I realize your layout is already planned, but..

The store is a little dark, forbidding, I don't think a mom and her kids or some teenage girls would be likely to walk in with that set up...make it a little brighter...maybe put some nice lamps [like pink/lilac/blue neon, or lava lamps, or something] and some more bright colors in the decor..or maybe just better lighting in the center of the store [away from the LCD's]

Don't let kids trade in games unless a parent is present. It'll cut down on the possibility of cops showing up at your door looking for stolen merchandise.

Really look into the import crowd. I'd just carry the latest PS2 games if I were you. Have a little Guilty Gear tournament on the day Accent Core comes out. Winner could take home a brand new copy. Buy another 10 copies and they'd probably sell out if you do your homework and get the word out.

I think your missing the point, no offense.

You want me to hire cute chicks that know a ton about videogames? Honestly, it is hard to hire people period that know about videogames. Add the fact that you want great customer service. I would hire based on that not so much their looks. Thats when you get into trouble if you know what I mean.

Hopefully the customer service will bring in people to the store including families. I used to work at Toys R Us and I know how families shop. These pictures may have been taken under difference settings. I do believe it is a hit or miss pleasing everyone with a store layout.

[quote name='bingbangboom']I think your missing the point, no offense.

You want me to hire cute chicks that know a ton about videogames? Honestly, it is hard to hire people period that know about videogames. Add the fact that you want great customer service. I would hire based on that not so much their looks. Thats when you get into trouble if you know what I mean.

Hopefully the customer service will bring in people to the store including families. I used to work at Toys R Us and I know how families shop. These pictures may have been taken under difference settings. I do believe it is a hit or miss pleasing everyone with a store layout.[/QUOTE]

Well, one thing I know is that anyone can learn: hire new employees, during their training period, take games/consoles out of your own collection or the store and set them up in the backroom, have them play different consoles/different games, pull up a neatly written "history of games", with blurbs about notable games, make sure the employees play one game a week even for half an hour, give them white sheets on consoles, explain basic tech concepts to them, all while teaching them the ins and outs of the store, the computers, , selling, customer service, etc.

and nothing is lost by putting an ad on craigslist or the local paper, "now hiring, female sales assistant for video game store, must be courteous and have current knowledge of games]

[quote name='sarausagi']Well, one thing I know is that anyone can learn: hire new employees, during their training period, take games/consoles out of your own collection or the store and set them up in the backroom, have them play different consoles/different games, pull up a neatly written "history of games", with blurbs about notable games, make sure the employees play one game a week even for half an hour, give them white sheets on consoles, explain basic tech concepts to them, all while teaching them the ins and outs of the store, the computers, , selling, customer service, etc.

and nothing is lost by putting an ad on craigslist or the local paper, "now hiring, female sales assistant for video game store, must be courteous and have current knowledge of games][/quote]

You should hire her.

[quote name='bingbangboom']Um, you guys need girlfriends! LOL[/QUOTE]

believe me, I DO!!!

finding a non butch lesbian or a bisexual girl who isn't married or pregnant is hard here in TN.

i have to settle for boys ; )

You're going to have to think of advertising too... local television, radio, campus's (if you are near a college).

Every local store here folded because no one knew they were there.

Do you have any business experience at all (and not just retail desk jockey work)? Working at a Toys R Us for a year or two isn't really a good substitute for some business classes... there is quite a jump between running a register and owning a company. Maybe (hopefully) you have some sort of business degree because it'll be a big help. All I keep seeing is that you worked at Toys R Us, did you have some kind of extremely high up position like store manager?

BTW, CAG is a prime example that people prefer prices >>> customer service.

EB / GS, especially Circuit City, has horrible customer service yet people go back again and again for the deals.

I guarantee everyone on this site (well, besides me) who has ever said how much EB / GS suck and they hate the store will go back next week for the buy 2 get 1 free on used games. People are very weak willed when it comes to saving money.

We have a Play N Trade in Guam, and it's the most horrible, piece of crap store I've ever been to.

The prices are way too high. New systems are priced at $20-$30 over the MSRP, and all new games are usually $10 over it, as well.

The used game selection is pretty weak compared to Gamestop.

I guess the only thing it offers that Gamestop doesn't is a very poor selection of comics and video game music.

I once bought Sonic Adventure 2 there. When I got back home, the game was scratched pretty bad, and it didn't work. I took it back, and those assholes wouldn't give me my money back. I went round and round with the fucking manager, but he said it was store policy not to refund money and that they can only give you store credit.

I've never bought anything there again. I only go in now to laugh at the insane combos they try to sell (PS3, two games and a controller for $900!).

I really can't put in to words how crappy that Play N Trade is. There's two Gamestops here, and they are so much better, it's not even funny.

In all seriousness, I just thought of that..if an employee plays FPS and FPS only, he might not be able to help quite a few people. Get him schooled on other genre, if an employees plays nothing but RPG's, make him play some action games for a while. I guess what I am thinking is that there would have to be a level of expertise which draws in customers no matter how much big box competition there is. It's kind of like piercings, yeah, Claire's can do your ear in 5 minutes and cheap, but there's still people who will go to a local tatooo/piercing shop to get an ear piercing properly done. In other words, if the employees learn their trade, I think people will go in. Once somebody told me to buy an s-video cable so I could get progressive scan, I couldn't take the employee seriously after that.

Quite honestly, I don't know how this will take off, the only local game store here is actually a little drawer of old outdated games at a comic store. "Rhino" was the closest thing to a local shop or a competitor, and that quickly changed. They went from having imports, anime soundtracks, old games, toys, to having absolutely nothing that GS/EB don't have, and then they just became GS/EB

[quote name='sarausagi']
Quite honestly, I don't know how this will take off, the only local game store here is actually a little drawer of old outdated games at a comic store. "Rhino" was the closest thing to a local shop or a competitor, and that quickly changed. They went from having imports, anime soundtracks, old games, toys, to having absolutely nothing that GS/EB don't have, and then they just became GS/EB[/QUOTE]

As awesome as Rhino was, their old game selection had prices through the fucking roof, at most they were Ebay value, and some were even above that.

Rhino's saving grace was the trade 2 get 1 free, which had to have been successful for them because of the restrictions on it, but it was still an awesome deal.

I started trading in good games at Rhino just because it was an awesome deal. That is what seperated Rhino from EB / GS, to me... everything else they carried was overpriced as hell that wasn't a current gen game (or a used strategy guide).

Even when they carried the same shit as EB / GS (plus the imports, old games, and used guides) the trade 2 deal made it awesome, and I'd stop by just to see what used guides were there and I'd usually buy a game too.

FYI, OP, Rhino would give 50 cents per used strategy guide, sold them all at $1.99, and they constantly had new guides every time I went in and the old ones were gone, and a ton of people I know would constantly stop in just to see what old guides showed up. Might be worth a thought, as there is no where else to get old guides.

I do know some people with business degrees and my brother is currently going to school for one. My current boss is also has a degree in advertising so that would help if I need to ask any questions. But I am a first time business owner or will be. Cross your fingers about that.

I just got off the phone with my contact so here are a couple of things...

- Import games, there may be a vendor to supply these games. If not I can locate a vendor to get approval. Someone mentioned PlayAsia may have something for vendors.

- Currently there are 40 stores and 50 by the end of may. 22 stores will be opening in the "New York" area. So it is something that is expanding and the more stores that open will help the brand name and means we will get better discounts for buying games.

- I can play music in the store and it is recommended. He mentioned soundtracks to keep the store busy and keep it fun with the gamer vibe. Would be cool to get a DJ for the grand opening spinning Mario Bros.

- The POS system I mentioned earlier does have the ability to print a new insert for the dvd covers. He also mentioned that it is built into the POS for things like scratched disc and lacking the box or instructions. You would get a lower trade in for that and it would sell for less than a complete trade in.

- Videogame memorbilla is highly recommended and adds to the theme of the store.

- The only thing I would have to get approval for is non-videogame items. Like say if I wanted to carry books or what not. Something that is not directly linked to videogames. So Pokemon cards would be ok but all out D&D board tables might not be.

- There is a membership card but details were sketchy. It is up to the store owner to decide on that ability. What to charge for them is up to the store owner.

- He mentioned that accessories is a must for all stores as it generates profit. It is one of the few items in the store that does. Later this year they will come out with branded accessories. So that is a yes on accessories.

- He commented that he knows the feedback from gamers because he is one himself. Everyone hates those stores but have to shop there. As far as bad experiences people may have had at a store, he said it is up the the store owner to determine that as they are independently opperated. Inventory of games and customer service is up to the store owner. They are given the tools to run the business.

- The design of the store, he stated that they did alot of testing on the design and it is more favorable than not favorable. He states that they wanted a look to stand out against the other shops which is why it tends to attract people.

Thanks for the comments, keep them coming. Sorry, I didn't ask him about hiring hooters chicks.

Gauge your used prices on EBstop and undercut them very publicly (local TV ads, local radio, etc). You're only one store, you won't attract the attention of corporate EBstop (and thus they won't drop their used prices to put you out of business) but you will be able to steal a good deal of their business.

Hell, I'd shop at your store on principle even if the prices were the same as GS.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']We have a Play N Trade in Guam, and it's the most horrible, piece of crap store I've ever been to.

The prices are way too high. New systems are priced at $20-$30 over the MSRP, and all new games are usually $10 over it, as well.

The used game selection is pretty weak compared to Gamestop.

I guess the only thing it offers that Gamestop doesn't is a very poor selection of comics and video game music.

I once bought Sonic Adventure 2 there. When I got back home, the game was scratched pretty bad, and it didn't work. I took it back, and those assholes wouldn't give me my money back. I went round and round with the fucking manager, but he said it was store policy not to refund money and that they can only give you store credit.

I've never bought anything there again. I only go in now to laugh at the insane combos they try to sell (PS3, two games and a controller for $900!).

I really can't put in to words how crappy that Play N Trade is. There's two Gamestops here, and they are so much better, it's not even funny.[/QUOTE]

Sorry about your experience at that location. Again, I am a gamer and I know what good customer service is. Some people don't understand about the industry. They figure as the owner that they can overcharge for those items including hardware. Again, problem is that you end up loosing money on consoles because of pricing and shipping. Thats prob why they overmarked those games and hardware. They do recommend bundles vs. just selling the console outright. Bundling a console with a couple used games and accessories just is a move to earn some money back.

They should never sell a gunked up game. We have the ability instore to clean disc and repair consoles including the dreaded ring of death. We can't repair consoles within the warranty period with the manufactuter. Sorry about that PNT at that location. It is a live and learn process with these stores.

[quote name='Halo05']Gauge your used prices on EBstop and undercut them very publicly (local TV ads, local radio, etc). You're only one store, you won't attract the attention of corporate EBstop (and thus they won't drop their used prices to put you out of business) but you will be able to steal a good deal of their business.

Hell, I'd shop at your store on principle even if the prices were the same as GS.[/QUOTE]

Lol thanks, hopefully you will some day. My goal would be to make this a spot that everyone has to check out. I would LOVE to do weekly tournaments or other events to bring people into the store. Again it is up to the store owner to do these things and If I feel it is resonable I would. Price matching websites is something I might not do. It would really depend. I mean you see some of the deals Amazon has, as a smaller store I am not competing with Amazon. In addition your not worried about the shipping process so if some how UPS can get the game you want from a website into your hands the moment you purchase it, that is a big factor. Heck, soemtimes overnight shipping for a game can be $20 extra. I doubt people would want to pay that.

We desperately need some new game stores in the Buffalo area of NY so keep the stores coming into the NY area.

I wouldn't carry anime, legal anime is very overpriced and to be honest, most people who watch anime find "other" ways of obtaining it instead of paying 50$ for a 3 episode DVD from a retail store. When media play closed some of the last, and I mean very last items to sell were anime dvd's. I walked into the store with like hours to close to find all they had left was anime dvd's. The demand for these items are very low and we have a large anime fanbase where I live. It just doesn't sell, and you would likely lose money on it.

If you took used anime dvd's you would have to be very careful not to accidently accept a bootleg dvd for trade-in's and its NOT easy to tell a bootleg anime disc either since some of them are so good they are practically legal. If an anime fan spots a bootleg disc in your store however and reports it to someone then you could get into big trouble.

No offense to anyone here but the anime fans are a rather... unfavorable crowd. I am talking hardcore anime fans here, they usually have no money and smell very bad. I know because I hung out with some for a while and I just had to get rid of them as friends, I couldn't stand it anymore. If your trying to create a family atmosphere in your store the last thing you want hanging around is a bunch of anime fans dressed in ridiculous costumes. They also tend to just stick around and look at things rather than actually buy anything. In other words they will be in your store for a while without buying anything and with no intention to buy anything, a lot just go to gaming stores to hang around. There is this guy who always goes to the ebgames here and he's a hardcore anime fan, and he's always in ebgames, I don't know what he does in that store but he doesn't seem to ever have any purchases in his hands. You don't want people like this hanging around your store for hours on end just chatting it up with the customers and waiting for their friends to come into the store and making it a virtual hang out for them and all their friends. Its OK if someone finds a friend in a store and starts talking and stuff it happens to everyone but don't let it become where one customer takes over the store and makes it their hangout for themselves and all their friends.

Another thing to look into is the import saturn game market, japanese saturn games should be available very cheaply and might bring in some good sales.

Gameboy and DS imports are always a good bet because someone will buy them especially since the consoles are region free, so they are very easy to play.

Gamecrazy holds tournaments during business hours and it is not good. The employees are usually too busy to help anyone at that time because they are running the tournament and the store is packed full of people so much so that you can't move. Tournaments are a GREAT idea to bring people in, but hold them after-hours, not during regular business hours. This will just aggravate shoppers. 5pm or 6pm on a Sunday would be a great time to hold a tournament, close the store at 5pm like all other stores do on sunday and then start the tournament at 6pm. A comfortable area for the tournament would be nice too, with chairs and stuff, not gamecrazy's idea of oh lets stand around a small TV that you cannot even see well and play a game.

Are you able to have a policy against unruly kids in the store? A big problem with EBstop is that many parents use it as a kids daycare, sometimes for several hours at a time, just leave the kids there and they can play all day especially during the summer months. These kids have no intention of ever purchasing anything in the store and sometimes they annoy both the employees and the customers in the store. This causes employees to get angry and they might possibly blow at a customer and if some brat is bothering an employee all day they won't have time to be productive and do the things they are supposed to do in the downtime when no customers are in the store. They also tend to get unruly and break things like the kiosks and stuff. I suggest having a policy against children under like, age 14 in the store alone (you can get a job here at 14 thats why I said age 14). This is something that my ebgames is VERY strict about thankfully, they toss kids out that have been in the store too long without purchasing anything, its a retail store not a daycare! As a respectable adult gamer and a frequent game shopper I would really appreciate a policy like this.

[quote name='SaraAB']No offense to anyone here but the anime fans are a rather... unfavorable crowd. I am talking hardcore anime fans here, they usually have no money and smell very bad. I know because I hung out with some for a while and I just had to get rid of them as friends, I couldn't stand it anymore. If your trying to create a family atmosphere in your store the last thing you want hanging around is a bunch of anime fans dressed in ridiculous costumes. They also tend to just stick around and look at things rather than actually buy anything. [/quote]

And you just put yourself in an even worse position than those costume wearing, nasty smelling, poor as shit anime fans. Thanks for stereotyping an entire culture and hobby in the worst way possible. I've never seen, even a "hardcore" anime fan walk around in public, in full costume. At a con? On Halloween? On homecoming days? For fun? Yeah, but just to go out and shop? No way. And considering how much it costs to go to a convention, how much people spend at conventions, and how big the anime and manga industry as a whole is, I don't know where you get that they have no money. And as for smell? More than just anime fans smell bad, and a person really has to push themselves to smell that atrocious [drink alcohol compulsively, not shower in 6 days, spill mustard and chocolate over their clothes, go to the bathroom without proper cleaning, and do two hours of exercise a day while they're at it]

I don't want to threadcrap, everyone here is trying to help the OP but maybe you had a bad experience in the past, but I'm sure there's plenty of anime fans here who don't agree with your concept of us.

Yeah, trust me I would have that policy reguarding kids. I used to work at Toys R Us and we had these YuGiOh tournaments every saturday morning. Parents would drop their kid off at 8am and come back at noon to get their kid.

I doubt I would do much with Anime besides possibly have one playing in the background on a tv with the sound down, like Street Fighter or something.

I do not exactly know how and when tournaments are typically done. It is up to the store owner. You don't really want to shut the store down because the whole point is to sell some stuff too. There is a way to do it correctly and having it a pay tournament will cut down on the loungers. I do agree sundays would typically be the best time, after store hours are typically closed.

I've read most of the posts here (but not all) and I think the best you can do is to have a staff that knows their product and doesn't express a bias to any platform. You'll find most the complaints about Gamestop and EB come from sales clerks who are ignorant about a game and/or console.

Also, where is this store located? I'm sure you have mentioned in an earlier post but I must have overlooked it. I'd much rather give my money to a CAG than Gamestop.

Perhaps I just hit on the wrong anime crowd.. but these people were a bit more than obsessed I would say nearly to the point of being delusional about it.. It was not uncommon to see them walking around in their costumes in normal everyday life thinking it was perfectly normal for them to be doing that. And YES they did walk around shopping in the costumes, I have personally seen it. I wouldn't make something like this up, no reason to do so.

Honestly I have just grown out of the whole anime concept of "you must dress up like some character and pretend you are them all the time" and if you don't do this you are not one of us and you shouldn't even be watching anime.

I can totally understand dressing up for a con, a costume party or on halloween, but they did it a lot more that just this, to the point where it made me look down on them as people and start to think of them as very delusional as in they actually thought they were the character they were dressing up as. I will not mention specfics but some dyed their hair permanently or at least semi permanently so they could look like characters from naruto, and we are talking people in their early to late 20's here.

[quote name='sarausagi']As for girls as employees, yes, make sure they're sweet, nice, and fun to be around. Don't dress them blah, make sure they dress cute. The stripper idea would work, but you don't have to do that, just jeans and cute shirts and SMILES = ) [oh and pretty hair][/QUOTE]

Am I the only one who finds this a little bit creepy?

Seriously though... Don't go out of your way to hire female employees. While there are a few... challanged gamers in that area, most of us don't have that problem and don't need to go into a store because of the cute cashier chick. And who wants your cute cashier chicks standing around being oogled by customers for long periods of time anyway?

Where exactly in Delaware is this place going to be at? I live in Carroll County MD. When I visit my family in NYC and NJ, I try to do some tax free shopping in DE. I might just stop by and say, hey, where is the CAGer Bingbangboom, and then you might give me a ncie discount. Seriously though, if you need capital, ask for an SBA loan to any bank. Of course the smaller the bank, the lower you interest rate MIGHT be. I work for Bank of America, so I do know a few things here and there about loans. I do know it's hard for start up businesses if they don't have a great game plan ready to present.

Yeah the whole anime thing I think spun out of the import crowd. This is a videogame store not an anime one. Sorry guys.

Well exact location I don't have one nailed down yet, again this is very very early on. I have a free consultant from the SBA to help me set up a great plan. From that it is waiting to hear from the bank and SBA for a loan approval. It will more than likely be in the New Castle area but that can depend on a variety of things.

And yes... it is creepy. This isn't fuckin' the gap where they hire models.

bread's done
Back