Qore: Sony's Video Game Show/Magazine, Hosted by Veronica Belmont, Starting June 5

Well I wonder where it is because there's also no new content in the store right now and no indication of a firmware update.

The store's not been updated yet and I doubt Qore needs a firmware update since it's supposed to be a program that runs in the game section of the XMB.

I'll probably check out todays issue, just to try it out.

As long as it takes nothing away from the existing service, people who are not interested in it don't have anything to complain about IMHO. The sketchy part, is that we won't know if the fact that a demo is on Qore one week prevented it from appearing that week in the normal store. Time will tell.

Yeah, 'Qore' feels like "trying a little too hard to be hip".

When is it going up already?

~S

Well the Closed Beta has not started, nor has a date been announced. So I imagine it pobably wont be until late July or August

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I'm just talking betas of this generation. Just because you squeaked by for the Halo 3 beta doesn't mean a majority of people paid for it. All the copies at the GS where I bought my prisitine used copy kind of hint at that fact. You still had to pay to get access to the MGO beta, unless you found some employees that didn't care.[/quote]

That's not entirely true, I got an invite since I'm part of the G.A.P., for free.

I give this one year or less unless they put some monster sized carrot to entice enough people to drop cash on this. I hardly ever d/l dev interviews anymore (R&C Future was the last ones) betas I could care less about unless it's something like Metal Gear. The host I had never heard of until 3 hours ago when I read this news, (I guess she's only known to snerds and blogosphere folk, she registered a big fat nothin' to me)

And Future (the publisher of PtOM and this) are idiots for even starting this, they need to fix their magazine which is sorely lacking in previews and decent content.

If they are going to have exclusive demos, they better be timed based (1mo or less) and not totally exclusive.

Also since they are putting it in the game section you can't back it up anywhere, in other words it's going to suck up precious HDD space I could be using for something else or more important like a demo or something....lame. :roll:

Like I said 12 months or less and this will be history, unless some big beta or useful comes out of subscribing early access to Home, ect., and I don't see that happening at all, without them getting major crap from the community.

More crap we don't need and didn't ask for....nice. =/

As I said before, that's just for the majority of people.

You can probably just delete it and redownload later if you ever need to check it out again. Not sure why you'd keep it there permanently.

I've watched almost all of this first issue of Qore, and overall, it's pretty disappointing. There is really not much here that you couldn't get for free at GameTrailers. Yes, its nice to be able to relax and watch this stuff in HD from your couch, but there just isn't that much content here.

Oh, and just like GameTrailers, you have to sit through ads before you watch the content, although, in this case, you are actually paying to watch the ads.

There is the promise of entry into the SOCOM beta, but of course, that is not live yet. It seems a little unfair that the beta is being promoted as a perk when it's not actually available. Maybe/hopefully it will be online soon.

I would recommend that people wait and see what is going to be available in the coming months and not jump aboard now. There just isn't enough content to make it worthwhile. Maybe if there is an exclusive beta or demo you must have, it will be worth the price of admission, but otherwise, I'd recommend sticking to free websites.

In order to be up-to-date on Sony news for the CAGcast, I went ahead and bought the year subscription right off the bat. Although it wasn't a huge investment at $25 for the year, I really hope they are able to make this thing worthwhile as it does have the potential to be worth the price.

[quote name='uncle5555']More crap we don't need and didn't ask for....nice. =/[/quote]

Yeah, I don't know how much of SONY's money went into this, but I'd rather see every penny put towards getting the PS3's regular online services up to snuff as well in game xmb and all that jazz.

[quote name='robobagins']Yeah, I don't know how much of SONY's money went into this, but I'd rather see every penny put towards getting the PS3's regular online services up to snuff as well in game xmb and all that jazz.[/quote]

These comments are really starting to get on my nerves. What makes you think this magazine service has anything to do with the programming team developing those features or the Playstation 3 team at all? I guarantee you it doesn't. This was probably something created by the Sony PR/Marketing department along with Ziff Davis or whoever makes the Official Playstation Magazine.

It's not like Sony's was like "Ohhh, programmers, we want you to make this magazine instead of creating the on-line features everyone has been clamoring for for the past year."

God use some sense people.....

So, I got it. Went with the annual sub, since that came with Calling All Cars and comes out to be under $2 per month.

Initial impressions are, it's ok. Not world-changing by any means, but if you are looking forward to Force Unleashed, it has a good amount of content on it. Same for SOCOM. The Soul Calibur IV content was pretty good as well, just not enough of it.

I was underwhelmed with the amount of content in the first "issue." The nice thing is that it is all high-res, so for those of us who don't like watching Flash video of HD games, it's way better.

The ads were pretty annoying, and I was surprised at how often it had to load.

All in all, not bad for two bucks a month. I don't regret buying it, and look forward to what the next issues bring.

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']These comments are really starting to get on my nerves. What makes you think this magazine service has anything to do with the programming team developing those features or the Playstation 3 team at all? I guarantee you it doesn't. This was probably something created by the Sony PR/Marketing department along with Ziff Davis or whoever makes the Official Playstation Magazine.

It's not like Sony's was like "Ohhh, programmers, we want you to make this magazine instead of creating the on-line features everyone has been clamoring for for the past year."

God use some sense people.....[/quote]

Still. We're getting things that no one asked for while the stuff we actually want is nowhere to be found. It's kind of annoying that they are taking their sweet ass time with everything.

So how is this? Currently DLing at the moment...it's taking about 30-45 mins to download. How fast did it go for everyone here?

about 30-40 minutes for me. It's big for a magazine. Though I did enjoy how they showed Socom. But there's not really much content. They need reviews.

It seems like people will be paying for commercial promotion - which doesn't seem too worthwhile considering places like Joystiq.

Now, some will say this is for casual gamers. I disagree. If those people don't keep up with gaming through the Internet, for free, why would they pay for their gaming information? I don't think a convenience argument would work. If they can access Qore, they can access the Internet, which has free gaming information.

I think this is Sony's way of subtly telling their customers, "Hey, we may have to charge for our online service. Just giving you a heads up."

It feels like a "testing the water" situation.

trying to compare Qore to xbox live is ridiculous on any level. Two totally different services online magazine vs an online internet service. The whole argument about PSN is that it doesn't offer that much content. I think the Qore is good, because it just adds to the content of the PSN. This issue may not be good, but there could be better issues, and better goodies.

Exactly! People are trying to make Qore into something it isn't. Since print media is dying, especially video game magazines, this is a new route they are exploring. I dont see anything wrong with that. Most magazines are like 5 bucks if you dont subscribe anyways, and the first issue included a Socom theme and invite to beta, Information on where they are in development, and a little mini game. I think 3 bucks is more than fair for that. Hell, I had no problem paying 5 bucks for the MGO beta, along with many other people. And I would much rather give my money to Sony for trying an innovative new product than to Gamestop. Think about it.

I decided to pick this up after much debate and thought. I was just about to buy a magazine subscription, so this is in its stead. I enjoy the hidden mini game and if it is a regular occurrence that is more that enough for me, the downloadable content is a theme, the beta, and calling all cars. You can get the theme and the calling all cars game now, but as for the beta it is whenever they decide on releasing it.

All in all, it is decent and I'm sure my magazine subscription that I would have picked up would have entertained me for just about the same amount of time this thing did. Although I really do enjoy that mini-game I almost beat that red player and I'll get him eventually!

[quote name='Blackout542']Still. We're getting things that no one asked for while the stuff we actually want is nowhere to be found. It's kind of annoying that they are taking their sweet ass time with everything.[/quote]

That's not my point. The point is this is something created by the PR people and Official playstation magazine poeple. In-game XMB is something created by the engineers at Sony Japan. They are completely separate and not related at all.

Yes it sucks, but creating an on-line magazine is much easier than in-game XMB and all those other features. The firmwares take time to go through QA to make sure they don't cause bugs, brick the system, etc.

So do you want Sony to stop releasing any kind of content or any features until they get In-game XMB done? That sounds silly to me.

So I'm sitting in the PSN right now looking at the year subscription thing and really debating. It doesn't seem like a terrible deal since I'd get Calling All Cars and the Socom beta.

It doesn't seem like a terrible deal since I'd get Calling All Cars and the Socom beta.
Calling All Cars is a one-year old game. If you pre-order Socom from Gamestop you will get into the beta two-weeks earlier than the people who purchased Qore.

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']That's not my point. The point is this is something created by the PR people and Official playstation magazine poeple. In-game XMB is something created by the engineers at Sony Japan. They are completely separate and not related at all.

Yes it sucks, but creating an on-line magazine is much easier than in-game XMB and all those other features. The firmwares take time to go through QA to make sure they don't cause bugs, brick the system, etc.

So do you want Sony to stop releasing any kind of content or any features until they get In-game XMB done? That sounds silly to me.[/quote]

I get what you mean. No, I want Sony to continue to release new and exciting content. But...I have no idea how much longer we are supposed to wait for features they have been promising for an eternity. It's not too much to expect that a system I paid over 500 bucks for lives up to expectations that Sony themselves have set.

[quote name='Maklershed']So I'm sitting in the PSN right now looking at the year subscription thing and really debating. It doesn't seem like a terrible deal since I'd get Calling All Cars and the Socom beta.[/QUOTE]

Yep, that's what finally swayed me. Calling All Cars is fun (although I've only played for a few minutes) and the ability to watch the videos in HD rather than crappy quality was another big plus.

If it didn't come with the free game I'm not sure that I would've subscribed but I'm pretty happy with the first issue.

bread's done
Back