Quake 4: Now that we all bought it for $4, let's discuss it!

zenintrude

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
So far, I'm about an hour ~ hour and a half into the game, and I'm really enjoying it. It has a distinctly old-school FPS feel to it that suits me just fine. I was a big fan of Q2 when I was in high school, and Q4 manages to play like a squad-based version of Q2.

I was surprised at how well the graphics stand up, too. Of course I wasn't expecting Killzone 2 or even Resistance-level graphics, but I have to say that the visual effects are decent and the character models, although plasticy, look good enough to draw me into the gameplay. And I have to hand it to Raven... unlike id, they managed to stay away from the most garish colored lighting that plagued the majority of older FPSs.

As for the so-called bugs, I've only run into one small bit of framerate drop, and luckily it wasn't during a firefight. Also, it may be just me, but the loading screens (save for the very first one) didn't seem too horribly long, so I was glad for that.

Hopefully now that more people are buying the game due to the GS sale, I'll actually get to play it online... anyone know if the version of Q2 on the bonus disc is online enabled as well? I'l love to kick some ass in Main Gate again.

Last edited by a moderator:
I picked this up at Gamecrazy 3 for $10 sale along with Perfect Dark and the original Counter-Strike for Xbox. I haven't had a chance to play it but I know the multiplayer is going to be more fun than Perfect Darks.

I got it for 16 on Black Friday @ Circuit City a few years ago, and I enjoyed it. Add in the copy of Q2 you get, its win all around.

[quote name='Nealocus123']I picked this up at Gamecrazy 3 for $10 sale along with Perfect Dark and the original Counter-Strike for Xbox. I haven't had a chance to play it but I know the multiplayer is going to be more fun than Perfect Darks.[/quote]

Is this sale still going on?

[quote name='Blackout']Is this sale still going on?[/quote]

Yeah, YMMV on the games available though. Awesome original Xbox, Gamecube, and PS2 selection though. I am located in San Diego CA btw.

[quote name='Nealocus123']Yeah, YMMV on the games available though. Awesome original Xbox, Gamecube, and PS2 selection though. I am located in San Diego CA btw.[/quote]

Thanks, I'll have to check out Gamecrazy. I was going to get Quake at GS but might as well get 2 other games on the cheap too.

The version of Quake 2 included doesn't have online play, but it does have split-screen play for up to 4 and system link play for up to 16 in DM or Co-op.

bread's done
Back