Quantum Theory - Tecmo's New Third-Person Shooter - Demo Out Now

Yeah... screenshots make the game look repulsive so far; the pale hulk's "vomit" armor with a hideous "gun" (if you can call it that) with a petite, cladless fairy just screams of Tecmo's shooter virginity and are probably aiming for the JRPG crowd (stylistically) and are taking advantage of PS3-only owners' envy for Gears of War that will only disappoint. Not an art style I can get behind, which matters if I'm going to invest hours looking at a game and Tecmo have yet to prove themselves with a shooter, let alone a game I enjoy from them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's sad that I can't help but look at this game and think "Gears of War rip off". So I really do hope that there are still unannounced and sufficient aspects of this game that makes it distinguishable.

[quote name='near']I think it's sad that I can't help but look at this game and think "Gears of War rip off". So I really do hope that there are still unannounced and sufficient aspects of this game that makes it distinguishable.[/quote]
There has to be, we've seen almost nothing from this game since TGS, and even that info was miniscule.

The only new thing I've heard about it recently is that it's running on an upgraded Ninja Gaiden Sigma engine.

You know, if they copied GoW, but added action RPG elements, I'd try the game.

As it stands, it looks pretty generic.

The Sigma engine worked smoothly on the PS3, but didn't look all that great. However, it's still too early to tell. Games these days really do get that last bit of polish closer to release.

There's an interview with the devs at Kiziko:
Keisuke Kikuchi, Tecmo producer for Quantum Theory on PlayStation 3

In an interview published today on Kikizo, one of Tecmo's most prominent development staff, Keisuke Kikuchi, said that PS3 "worked better" for them in developing the upcoming shooter Quantum Theory - but admits the game is most comparable to Gears of War. "Initially, the game concept was built around this game being a PC game... the project was altered slightly, and we tested out the graphics and visual presentation on the PS3. And looking at that, we were pretty confident that we were going to be able to display and execute what we wanted to using the power of the PS3."

He explained that the environmental detail from the trailer was something they wanted to push, adding: "we just thought the PS3 worked better for us."

The developer, whose credits include the Fatal Frame series, the PS2 adventure Trapt, and Super Swing Golf, also conceded that his upcoming game shares some DNA with Gears of War, even though it's a PS3-exclusive.

"Simply for the cover system it would [be closest to] Gears of War", he said. But he also stressed it'll offer something new: "We were pretty confident after doing a lot of research on a variety of shooters that we would be able to bring something unique - both visually and gameplay-wise."

Commenting on the gameplay, Kikuchi said: "While strictly speaking this is a kind of third-person action game-shooter, the main play style skews towards the shooter side. We feel we've already been successful in executing action game elements, as in Ninja Gaiden. So it's mainly a third-person shooter."

We've got a tonne of previously unseen screenshots and artwork in the full interview, which looks at THREE upcoming Tecmo titles, so head on over to the feature.
http://games.kikizo.com/features/interview-whats-next-from-tecmo-p1.asp

Sounds kind of interesting.
I'm looking forward to this game as an oddity of sorts, like Ninja Blade.

Except I didn't like the Ninja Blade demo that much.

I watched the trailer that was on the PSN store and it looked good on my tv. Looks like a gears rip off mixed with ninja gaiden.

If you haven't checked it out and have a minute give it a look. It's in the E3 section on the PSN store. The girl sidekick looks like a lot of fun.

I'm not quite sure what I think of this game yet. It doesn't look bad... but it doesn't necessarily look good either.

I think it looks cool. Being like Gears is Okay with me, as long as this has actual boss fights. It already has much better character and location design, and even the lame dialogue isn't half as lame as Gears.

I don't mind that its coming out on the xbox 360; However, because its coming out on the 360, I feel like all the resources are going into making the game as good as it can be on the PS3. I just want multiplatform games on the PS3 to be of the same quality as its first party games.

With Vanquish coming out and this looking like Gears of War 3, the question to ask is: Why did you make this game so stale? Its like they took Gears and just put a chick with a sword in it.

Even so I thought Vanquish was so-so, this game doesnt look appealing nor was it enjoyable.

Shit game. Not interested at all. Though it would be nice if it had REAL co-op. But it doesn't.
I'll stick to COD and Killzone for my shooters.

EDIT:
Playing through the demo a second time changed my opinion slightly. But I still do not want it.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back