Question about Best Buy preorders

Renaissance 2K

CAGiversary!
Feedback
27 (81%)
Howdy.

I have a pre-order pending for the Final Fantasy XIII Xbox 360 bundle at Best Buy with the free faceplate.

This morning, I got an e-mail saying that the most recent payment failed to process. The payment hold was processed without issue last week when I placed the pre-order, and according to my online card statement, that hold is still in place.

Does Best Buy wait until the previous hold has expired before attempting to refresh it, or do they stack another hold on top of the old one?

Some people in the faceplate thread had some weird things to say about Best Buy's payment practices, so I wanted to see if anybody else had experienced anything similar.

Thanks.

They put a recurring 7-day hold on your credit card for the amount of the purchase. So, if you bought it on 02/15/10, it would remain there until 02/22/10 and a new one would replace it or the same one would renew. Same effect, either way. They'd keep going until the item is shipped and your hold turns into a charge.

I'd do a conference call between your credit card company and BB.com customer service and get them to hash it out. Unless they did a new one while the old one was live and you had less than $399.99 + tax on your card, I'd expect it to go without issue.

When you say "online card statement" is it for a credit or debit card? Debit cards almost always have issues when it comes to having holds put on them.

I called my credit card company. They don't release holds until midnight EST, so the hold refreshed, the old one was still on the record, which caused my tiny credit card to scream in anguish.

I ended up placing a new order. This time, I used Paypal (no recurring hold to screw things up), Bing cashback (for $32.00 back), free shipping (which wasn't offered for the faceplate originally), and opted for in-store pickup so I can have it in-hand on the 9th. In the end, I guess it worked out for everyone.

bread's done
Back