Question about connecting an external HD to PS3...any help would be appreciated.

Terabyte7

CAGiversary!
Feedback
87 (100%)
I'm wanting to connect an external hard drive to my PS3 to transfer music/pictures to the PS3, and to watch videos off it, but when I connect it to the USB port, the system doesn't recognize it. (I have everything saved in the properly named folders..../MUSIC, /PICTURE, & /VIDEO.) I have a Seagate 1 TB portable hard drive that I'm using. I read somewhere that the PS3 will only recognize the FAT32 format and the hard drive is NTFS, but when I tried to reformat the hard drive, it wouldn't let me. Does anyone have any insight on what I have to do to get everything working properly? Thanks!

Here's the program a lot of people use to format their external to FAT32.

If you press Triangle and then select Display All then there's no need to use any kind of PS3 specific directory structure btw.

[quote name='chakan']I ran into this problem when upgrading my 60gig to 500, and using a portable to back up.

I used a program called EASEUS Partition Master to format my portable drive to Fat32. Windows recognizes Fat32, but won't format a drive to it for you.

Hope that helps, check out my blog post about swapping drives if you want.
http://www.lonelycontroller.com/2011/05/a-tale-of-three-hard-drives-upgrading-my-playstation-3/[/QUOTE]

Thanks chakan...that was very helpful and did the trick! BTW...very creepy avatar!

bread's done
Back