Question about Futureshop extended iPod warranty

whitehawk

CAG Veteran
Sorry this might not be the right place to ask, but it's the best place I know of (well informed Canadian consumers)

I bought a 64gb 4th gen iPod touch a little less than a month ago, would you guys suggest getting a 2 or 3 year warranty? Say if my ipod breaks in 2 and 1/2 years, will they give me a 6th gen in exchange? That might make it worth it to me. Or, will they give me the amount I paid in gift card? When I bought the original Rock Band I got a 2 year warranty and I sent it back about 1 year and 10 months later, and I got a $215 gift card.

The thing about iPods is that the most likely thing to die in it is the non-replaceable battery. FutureShop's extended warranties do not cover batteries in general so you'll be pretty much SOL if that happens.

My experience with fs/bb extended warranties is that it's a waste of money. If you know of a common/specific breakdown/malfunction with your ipod, make sure that the ew covers it. And don't take the rep's word for it, make sure it's in print. In the end, it's probably better to forgo buying an ew and buy a new ipod. It'll save yourself time, money and effort with all the red tape that comes with one.

If you have questions ask the people at Customer Service desk as to what's covered and what isn't. I have been in the store many times and heard the untruths about the warranties the sales people have told to get people to buy them.

Warranty services of Bestbuy is the most headache inducing, worthless experience I've ever had the displeasure of going thru.

Where a buddy of mine (from Florida) who used to work at BB says for customer satisfaction will swap out a busted laptop under extended warranty for a new exact model, I spent months trying to get mines fixed when there's even a minor problem. Ended up shipping my laptop to him just to get it done faster AND cheaper (ironically).

On topic: No, I don't think they'll switch out a 2.5 year ipod for the latest one since it won't be the most convenient move they need to do. Exactly.

you got a gift card for rock band because it falls under product REPLACEMENT plan...with the ipod they'll likely exchange the one that doesn't work with a refurbished one, but ive heard of people getting a brand new replacement if they put up enough of a fuss

honestly though, not worth it imo...invest in a nice case and take care of your ipod and you won't have any problems, worst case scenario your ipod breaks say 2 years down the line but you still have the money from choosing not to get the FS warranty and you can invest in what im sure will be a far different model by then

[quote name='toofeht']...but ive heard of people getting a brand new replacement if they put up enough of a fuss...[/QUOTE]

My fuss took 3 weeks and 7 defective "refurbished" models.

[quote name='Nukkus']My fuss took 3 weeks and 7 defective "refurbished" models.[/QUOTE]

a buddy of mine got a replacement after talking with them for about a half hour...obviously yours took MUCH longer....point is a fuss will get you a replacement, larger point is avoid avoid avoid

i bought an ipod a few years ago (20gb photo - shortly after they'd been released). i bought the 3 year warranty. the ipod's battery broke a year later and it was fixed for free. a year and a half later, the ipod broke again. it couldn't be fixed so they gave me a new 60gb video (equivalent model at the time). it worked out for me.

i also bought the warranty for a stereo i bought in first year of university. in 3rd year it broke and i got a brand new stereo, which i have not had problems with since.

i've never had to deal w/ refurbished models...i've had stuff repaired, and when it couldn't be repaired, i've been given brand new replacements

Avoid. Avoid. Avoid.

fucking avoid.

First off what those liars won't tell you is that your product isn't covered during the first year of manufacturer's warranty. Which means your 2-year plan is actually just a 1-year plan. Second is if it's a battery issue they can tell you to eat shit because they won't help you. Dead pixels? More than 20% of your screen needs to be dead before they'll touch it. Etc, etc.

Futureshop warranties are so full of shit that it's amazing how they can stay in business with such bad service. fucking avoid.

If you want a real good warranty go to the Apple Store directly and buy it with a warranty.

[quote name='toofeht']you got a gift card for rock band because it falls under product REPLACEMENT plan...with the ipod they'll likely exchange the one that doesn't work with a refurbished one, but ive heard of people getting a brand new replacement if they put up enough of a fuss

honestly though, not worth it imo...invest in a nice case and take care of your ipod and you won't have any problems, worst case scenario your ipod breaks say 2 years down the line but you still have the money from choosing not to get the FS warranty and you can invest in what im sure will be a far different model by then[/QUOTE]Can you get a replacement plan for an iPod? Or can you only get a Product Service Plan for the iPod.

[quote name='Princess Zelda']If you have questions ask the people at Customer Service desk as to what's covered and what isn't. I have been in the store many times and heard the untruths about the warranties the sales people have told to get people to buy them.[/QUOTE]

the fact is that a lot of people that are employed at FS/BB does not get the proper training of how psp/prp work. they are just told to sell it.

Yeah, cause when I bought it of course they tried to sell it to me. They guy mentioned that if anything goes wrong, including the batteries, then they will take care of it.

I just feel weird because I've bought an MP3 player for $430 lol (although I used that Rock Band Giftcard so that helped a lot), which seems steep. However I do use it every single god damn day haha. Already have a case, guess I'll just get a screen protecter and then I'll be good. I used my last ipod video 30gb for 4 years, I'll probably be using this for 3-4 years.

However if I was able to get a Product Replacement Plan (I can't, only for products under $200), I would get that immedietly. I guess that's what I had for Rock Band, which was great. I basically rented the game for 2 years for $50.

I'll chime in since I have exp. w/ this. All the FS/BB warranty does is basically deal with Apple for you. Since Apple has really good CS, if you REALLY want an extra warranty, save some cash and get it from Apple directly.
PLUS, FS/BB warranty only kicks in after the 1st year, just like the Apple warranty. So if anything happens in the 1st year, you'll have to deal w/ Apple yourself. This happened to me a few years back when my iPod Mini was busted. I had to deal w/ Apple. BB gave me the warranty $$ back though at least, but it made it pointless in the end.
Better to deal w/ the manufacturer directly.

Just go with apples warranty, they specialize in that sort of thing, futureshop/BB are trying to hard to get some of apples extended warranty market. The only electronics retailer I know that gives decent extended warranties is The Source.

bread's done
Back