question about Japanese Dreamcast games

waxHead

CAGiversary!
Feedback
57 (100%)
is most of the text/dialog in the import Dreamcast fighting/shooting/racing games in Japanese, or do these have a fair amount of English?

I want to pick up a few more Dreamcast games, and the Japanese versions tend to have options their US counterparts lack. given that I can't understand Japanese, will I have a difficult time playing games like Capcom vs. Snk, Power Stone, etc? I'm obviously avoiding RPGs and other text or dialog-heavy games, just trying to determine which ones I can safely import and be able to understand.

shooters seem to be the easiest to understand Ikaruga, border down and Psvyer(sp) 2 i own and have no problem at all understanding.

I've played several different import fighters, Guilty Gear, Garou, KOFs, Capcom vs SNK and never really had any major trouble with translation issues.

I'll also agree with the above post that the shooters are easiest to understand, followed by fighters. I have no experience with racers.

wicked, thanks for the responses ;)

i'm also looking to import good shooters/fighting/etc games which weren't released in the US. any suggestions?

I highly recommend Capcom v. SNK 2, Last Blade: the Final Edition (JAP version is unedited), Samba De Amigo 2000 (if you have the maracas), and Border Down.

Sadly, the bulk of the Japanese titles I acquired for the DC in a recent coup are RPGs. (Despiria, Black/Matrix AD, etc) Nothing cool like Capcom vs SNK 2 or Last Blade, though I did get Dead or Alive 2 Limited Edition (or Online Edition, whatever it's called).

thanks BigHow and PsyClerk. I'm getting the JPN version of Power Stone 2, haven't had luck finding the US release.

PsyClerk, did you ever try playing Black Matrix A/D? I've read that it's a great game, though if it's an RPG in Japanese, I don't think I'd get very far :)

I have powerstone and powerstone 2 (import DC). Both are pretty easy to figure out, though PS2 does have a bit of text in it. Guilty Gear X is real easy, as is most every Capcom fighting game.

[quote name='peteloaf']If you can afford it get Vampire Chronicles, it' sall the Darkstalkers games rolled into one.[/quote]

It's okay but I'd just pick up a cheaper copy of Darkstalkers 3 for PSX. You get to do the color your own character in that one. I really found no reason to go back in time with the characters of Darkstalkers. Their latest versions are the best cause they got the most moves.

bread's done
Back