question about JC

EddieBelfour

CAGiversary!
Disclaimer: I don’t care if you a religious or not, there is no offense intended.

edit: i shouldnt say i dont care- i dont need to know is better, ay?

I made a post awhile back asking about fairy tales because I had to rewrite one and mask it. Well I talked to my teacher and she said it was cool if I did Christ’s crucifixion. She said something about here being 3 days or something like that, or something signifying three days in the bible about the crucifixion. Basically, I don’t know jack about jc, explain what happened before the crucifixion, in a nutshell of course. focus on this three days thing she talks about...

Well, jc died on the cross but he didn't rise from the grave until the 3rd day. The big thing is jc predicted he would do so before being nailed (excuse the pun). During the 3 days, his surviving apostles fled in fear of their lives (rightfully so) since they didn't want to be crucified as well. Hope that's enough to get you started.

[quote name='jaykrue']Well, jc died on the cross but he didn't rise from the grave until the 3rd day. The big thing is jc predicted he would do so before being nailed (excuse the pun). During the 3 days, his surviving apostles fled in fear of their lives (rightfully so) since they didn't want to be crucified as well. Hope that's enough to get you started.[/quote]

i wrote it already, she said to incorperate the three days into it. i think i have an idea how to do it - after he was resurected, when did he "go back" to where he resurrected from?

p.s. getting nailed :roll:

[quote name='EddieBelfour'][quote name='jaykrue']Well, jc died on the cross but he didn't rise from the grave until the 3rd day. The big thing is jc predicted he would do so before being nailed (excuse the pun). During the 3 days, his surviving apostles fled in fear of their lives (rightfully so) since they didn't want to be crucified as well. Hope that's enough to get you started.[/quote]

i wrote it already, she said to incorperate the three days into it. i think i have an idea how to do it - after he was resurected, when did he "go back" to where he resurrected from?

p.s. getting nailed :roll:[/quote]

I don't quite remember since i'm recalling this from when I was an alterboy in church. I think that since rising from the grave, there've been jc sitings ever since but I dunno if he ever went back to his tomb.

There's a problem with your teacher. She is okaying you to make a fairy tale out of documented, historical facts. According to this logic, you could also use Julius Caesar as a basis for your story. I just want to be clear, I'm speaking against the teacher, not you. I understand you've already written your report, I just wanted to point this out.

[quote name='neocisco']There's a problem with your teacher. She is okaying you to make a fairy tale out of documented, historical facts. According to this logic, you could also use Julius Caesar as a basis for your story. I just want to be clear, I'm speaking against the teacher, not you. I understand you've already written your report, I just wanted to point this out.[/quote]

it's not a report. it's an assigned short story topic: rewrite a fairy tale. you could do the seven dwarfs about a midget bball team, etc. like i said, it's not a question about religion it's a question about those documented facts. im the one who asked her if it was ok... she said yes. i would state why, but i dont want to turn this into a bible group- or athiests vs christ's army or anything.

you seem to know a little something about it, or i assume you do- can you shed any light?

[quote name='neocisco']There's a problem with your teacher. She is okaying you to make a fairy tale out of documented, historical facts. According to this logic, you could also use Julius Caesar as a basis for your story. I just want to be clear, I'm speaking against the teacher, not you. I understand you've already written your report, I just wanted to point this out.[/quote]

What's wrong w/ that? I don't see the issue. Stuff like that is done all the time. Look at any movie lately. You think Troy is accurate? Or Alexander? or even Oliver Stone's JFK. What's wrong w/ writing something fictional? As long as the teacher has established that it was a fairy tale, i.e. fictional, then what exactly is the problem? I don't think the Catholic Church is going to send a cease and desist letter to him for writing a story that probably did not happen to Jesus inbetween his death and resurrection. Speaking as Catholic, I'm still logical enough not to take the Bible word for word and would hardly consider it a historical document. If you compare the various books (Matthew Mark Luke and John), they all have small inconsistencies that don't gel well together. But it doesn't invalidate what the books are trying to convey which is the essence of this one man's spiritual journey. Whether he is the Son of God or not, I'll leave to the philosophers. I care more about what jc was trying to convey rather than focus on the inconsistent minutae that forms his biography.

not to get in a big religous argument, but that is not fact. There is no evidence supporting the bible. If it was fact then it wouldnt be religion, its all beliefs and opinions.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']not to get in a big religous argument, but that is not fact. There is no evidence supporting the bible. If it was fact then it wouldnt be religion, its all beliefs and opinions.[/quote]

mods- vs mode stat.

dag i knew this would happen, but using people's knowledge is much more interesting than google. oh well, do your thing. (and actually, since you said it first, it isnt fact, that's why i asked if i could write it for this assignment :evil: )

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']not to get in a big religous argument, but that is not fact. There is no evidence supporting the bible. If it was fact then it wouldnt be religion, its all beliefs and opinions.[/quote]

I wouldn't say NO evidence... but I will agree that there is few factual evidence supporting the events that occurred during Jesus' life. A man named Jesus did exist however. That is a fact. Supernatural being or not, that's a different issue.

[quote name='jaykrue'][quote name='Ikohn4ever']not to get in a big religous argument, but that is not fact. There is no evidence supporting the bible. If it was fact then it wouldnt be religion, its all beliefs and opinions.[/quote]

I wouldn't say NO evidence... but I will agree that there is few factual evidence supporting the events that occurred during Jesus' life. A man named Jesus did exist however. That is a fact. Supernatural being or not, that's a different issue.[/quote]

agreed

OK, first of all, Eddie. I hope you didn't perceive what I said as hostile. This is not meant as an attack against you in any way. I have absolutely nothing against you. Second, Ikohn4ever, there is documentation of the life & works of Jesus besides the Bible. I am not a religious scholar so I am unable to give the titles for this documentation but I have read it. There are Roman documents referring to Jesus and the "uprising" he caused. There is also documentation from the Pharisees and Sagusees (sp error, I'm sure). Third, jaykrue, while we may not necessarily see eye-to-eye on the subject, I respect your ability to articulately make your point. OK, let's all be friends now.

[quote name='neocisco']OK, first of all, Eddie. I hope you didn't perceive what I said as hostile. This is not meant as an attack against you in any way. [/quote]

i know man :D

[quote name='neocisco']Third, jaykrue, while we may not necessarily see eye-to-eye on the subject, I respect your ability to articulately make your point. OK, let's all be friends now.[/quote]

Well, thank you for the compliment. My question to you then is:

what exactly is wrong w/ writing a fairy tale about Jesus' life?

Soley on the basis of fictional writing relating to christianity and not to thread jack but, anyone else read The DaVinci Code?? Totally bad ass book, but I wish I could find out how much was real in it.

[quote name='ZeroSupporT']Soley on the basis of fictional writing relating to christianity and not to thread jack but, anyone else read The DaVinci Code?? Totally bad ass book, but I wish I could find out how much was real in it.[/quote]

Da Vinci Code was good. As for real, I honestly don't know. But I'm definitely sure about one thing. The painting they talk about (I don't want to give away a major plot point) is definitely real.

Day - 0 - Died
Day - 1 - went and played catch with god. Had a turkey dinner.
Day - 2 - started planning "TV". Finnaly opened that box of Frankensence, wonders aloud "what the hell is this?"
Day - 3 - Had an all you can eat breakfast and then remembered to get back to earth to say "Boo!"

[quote name='Wshakspear']Day - 0 - Died
Day - 1 - went and played catch with god. Had a turkey dinner.
Day - 2 - started planning "TV". Finnaly opened that box of Frankensence, wonders aloud "what the hell is this?"
Day - 3 - Had an all you can eat breakfast and then remembered to get back to earth to say "Boo!"[/quote]

:rofl:

[quote name='jaykrue'][quote name='ZeroSupporT']Soley on the basis of fictional writing relating to christianity and not to thread jack but, anyone else read The DaVinci Code?? Totally bad ass book, but I wish I could find out how much was real in it.[/quote]

Da Vinci Code was good. As for real, I honestly don't know. But I'm definitely sure about one thing. The painting they talk about (I don't want to give away a major plot point) is definitely real.[/quote]

This should get you started:

http://www.crystalinks.com/conspiracy.html

As far as the DaVinci Code books go, I feel that the author is a poor man's Umberto Eco. I would reccomend "In the Name of the Rose" or "Foucault's Pendulum" for some really intriguing historical fiction.

As far as computer games go, there is a great one that preceded the "Da Vinci Code" by a few years: "Gabriel Knight III: Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned" If you can get by the PS1 style 3D graphics, there is a great story interspersed with alot of fun (and gotta read gamefaqs not-so-fun) puzzles. The game's setting is Rennes-Le-Chateau and it will run on any old PC, so go out and pick one up for some more conspiracy fun.

http://half.ebay.com/cat/buy/prod.cgi?cpid=1063607677&meta_id=4

[quote name='camoor']As far as the DaVinci Code books go, I feel that the author is a poor man's Umberto Eco. I would reccomend "In the Name of the Rose" or "Foucault's Pendulum" for some really intriguing historical fiction.[/quote]

Thanks! I'm always lookin' out for good books to read. :D

The historical aspect is highly dubious due to nobody regarding the events as being of any great importance until several decades later and then producing several conflicting versions of the story.

Imagine if none of the documents associated with the founding of this country were kept and the details of how they were supposedly produced didn't become a matter of wide interest until around 1850. (Nevermind whether any of the founders performed any miracles.) How much dispute would there be today whether any of it had occurred as claimed by the organization most concerned with their being accepted as fact?

It's meaningless to say there was a man named Yeshua. It was a common name. Throughout Judea there were probably a few hundred guys in their early 30's by that name and description.

Some other books to read for fun and rumination:

Behold the Man by Michael Moorcock

Jesus on Mars by Philip Jose Farmer

Also the short story 'JC on the Dude Ranch' by Farmer.

[quote name='jaykrue'][quote name='camoor']As far as the DaVinci Code books go, I feel that the author is a poor man's Umberto Eco. I would reccomend "In the Name of the Rose" or "Foucault's Pendulum" for some really intriguing historical fiction.[/quote]

Thanks! I'm always lookin' out for good books to read. :D[/quote]

Yeah - I actually reccommend starting with "In the Name of the Rose". It's a great murder mystery - if you like your murder mysteries set in the 1600's. - With a deep historical angle

Since Foucault's Pendulum is about conspiracy theories, it is rather long.

[quote name='epobirs']The historical aspect is highly dubious due to nobody regarding the events as being of any great importance until several decades later and then producing several conflicting versions of the story.

Imagine if none of the documents associated with the founding of this country were kept and the details of how they were supposedly produced didn't become a matter of wide interest until around 1850. (Nevermind whether any of the founders performed any miracles.) How much dispute would there be today whether any of it had occurred as claimed by the organization most concerned with their being accepted as fact?

It's meaningless to say there was a man named Yeshua. It was a common name. Throughout Judea there were probably a few hundred guys in their early 30's by that name and description.[/quote]

Yes but many of the early followers were gnostics who viewed the stories as analogies and not historical fact. For example, Gnostics wouldn't care that the Bible said that the world was created in 7 days, because they grasped the inner meaning of the Genesis myth instead of reading it literally.

It's not until the literalists and fundamentalists became involved that the actual history of events recorded in the Bible became important, and by then it was too late to argue with the authority of the church on matters of what constituted historical reality vs allegorical myth (just ask Emperor Julian, aka Julian the Apostate)

[quote name='camoor'][quote name='epobirs']The historical aspect is highly dubious due to nobody regarding the events as being of any great importance until several decades later and then producing several conflicting versions of the story.

It's meaningless to say there was a man named Yeshua. It was a common name. Throughout Judea there were probably a few hundred guys in their early 30's by that name and description.[/quote]

Yes but many of the early followers were gnostics who viewed the stories as analogies and not historical fact. For example, Gnostics wouldn't care that the Bible said that the world was created in 7 days, because they grasped the inner meaning of the Genesis myth instead of reading it literally.

It's not until the literalists and fundamentalists became involved that the actual history of events recorded in the Bible became important, and by then it was too late to argue with the authority of the church on matters of what constituted historical reality vs allegorical myth (just ask Emperor Julian, aka Julian the Apostate)[/quote]

Both compelling arguments. :applause: :whistle2:k Please, continue.

The problem is that the Gnostics never pursued power nor came into it accidentally as sometimes happened. They were on the scene but had little bearing on how events played out. By their nature they appealed to intellectuals and didn't have much to offer people who wanted simple assurance of an eternal that they would actually enjoy, as opposed to a conceptual eternal contentment which was only a small upgrade over the Hebrew tradition in which there was neither a heaven or hell but there was a sort of unpleasant afterlife to which everybody was subjected regardless of their behavior in life. The idea was that the soul was eternal but without a body it had no ability to interact with the world and was helplessly blown about for eternity.

The big upgrade of Christianity, that drew upon the supposed word of Jesus but were not part of his follower's beliefs in their lifetimes, was that there was an actual reward for good behavior that was given in the afterlife and part of this included being issued a new flawless body. (Whether that body would possess genitalia was another issue.) This was a big selling point.

The idea of God creating immortal souls in mortal bodies and showing no interest in them after the bodies crapped out was quite common back then, even though many Jews who haven't ever really read the Torah don't know about it and tend to have a view of the afterlife largely in line with that made popular under Christianity. Still, it plays a large part in the essential character of Judaism with an emphasis on making the most of life under God's laws rather than making a big bet on a post-life payoff for good behavior.

Although it is part of her Vampire series, Anne Rice did a great take on how the concept of the afterlife evolved in the Judeo-Christian world in the novel, 'Memnoch the Devil' in which Lestat encounters a being who claims to be the one angel who always dared to question God's choices and stick up for the souls cast into nothingness after their bodies failed.

[quote name='epobirs']The problem is that the Gnostics never pursued power nor came into it accidentally as sometimes happened. They were on the scene but had little bearing on how events played out. By their nature they appealed to intellectuals and didn't have much to offer people who wanted simple assurance of an eternal that they would actually enjoy, as opposed to a conceptual eternal contentment which was only a small upgrade over the Hebrew tradition in which there was neither a heaven or hell but there was a sort of unpleasant afterlife to which everybody was subjected regardless of their behavior in life. The idea was that the soul was eternal but without a body it had no ability to interact with the world and was helplessly blown about for eternity.

The big upgrade of Christianity, that drew upon the supposed word of Jesus but were not part of his follower's beliefs in their lifetimes, was that there was an actual reward for good behavior that was given in the afterlife and part of this included being issued a new flawless body. (Whether that body would possess genitalia was another issue.) This was a big selling point.

The idea of God creating immortal souls in mortal bodies and showing no interest in them after the bodies crapped out was quite common back then, even though many Jews who haven't ever really read the Torah don't know about it and tend to have a view of the afterlife largely in line with that made popular under Christianity. Still, it plays a large part in the essential character of Judaism with an emphasis on making the most of life under God's laws rather than making a big bet on a post-life payoff for good behavior.

Although it is part of her Vampire series, Anne Rice did a great take on how the concept of the afterlife evolved in the Judeo-Christian world in the novel, 'Memnoch the Devil' in which Lestat encounters a being who claims to be the one angel who always dared to question God's choices and stick up for the souls cast into nothingness after their bodies failed.[/quote]

I'm not sure on the whole 'issue new bodies after old ones died' thing. I don't recall anything like that from what I've learned when I was a kid. Isn't that more in line w/ Hinduism and the idea of reincarnation?

[quote name='jaykrue'][quote name='neocisco']Third, jaykrue, while we may not necessarily see eye-to-eye on the subject, I respect your ability to articulately make your point. OK, let's all be friends now.[/quote]

what exactly is wrong w/ writing a fairy tale about Jesus' life?[/quote]

If I understand the OP correctly, the teacher said to rewrite a fairy tale. Since she said the story of Jesus was OK to use, I can only assume that she regards that story as false, a fairy tale. I just had a problem w/the teacher considering it unconfirmed hearsay. No more, no less.

[quote name='neocisco'][quote name='jaykrue'][quote name='neocisco']Third, jaykrue, while we may not necessarily see eye-to-eye on the subject, I respect your ability to articulately make your point. OK, let's all be friends now.[/quote]

what exactly is wrong w/ writing a fairy tale about Jesus' life?[/quote]

If I understand the OP correctly, the teacher said to rewrite a fairy tale. Since she said the story of Jesus was OK to use, I can only assume that she regards that story as false, a fairy tale. I just had a problem w/the teacher considering it unconfirmed hearsay. No more, no less.[/quote]

I see your point. Well taken.

[quote name='EddieBelfour']Disclaimer: I don’t care if you a religious or not, there is no offense intended.

edit: i shouldnt say i dont care- i dont need to know is better, ay?

I made a post awhile back asking about fairy tales because I had to rewrite one and mask it. Well I talked to my teacher and she said it was cool if I did Christ’s crucifixion. She said something about here being 3 days or something like that, or something signifying three days in the bible about the crucifixion. Basically, I don’t know jack about jc, explain what happened before the crucifixion, in a nutshell of course. focus on this three days thing she talks about...[/quote]

I'm thinking of the original question here and I don't get. I can tell you what happened prior to the crucifixtion as I remember, but I don't remember any symbolism of 3 days there. It's actually not such an easy response anyhow as there are many versions of the account of his death, I mean there's 4 different gospels then all the diffrent version of the new testament bible. I think your best bet is just to ask the teascher directly what she meant.

she said something about mary m crying at her grave or something. im not too worried about, i thought the story was rather good, especially with its sybolism. i was more looking at it for my re-write, which i finished up last night- handed in today at my final, so it's a closed casket.

[quote name='jaykrue'][quote name='epobirs']The problem is that the Gnostics never pursued power nor came into it accidentally as sometimes happened. They were on the scene but had little bearing on how events played out. By their nature they appealed to intellectuals and didn't have much to offer people who wanted simple assurance of an eternal that they would actually enjoy, as opposed to a conceptual eternal contentment which was only a small upgrade over the Hebrew tradition in which there was neither a heaven or hell but there was a sort of unpleasant afterlife to which everybody was subjected regardless of their behavior in life. The idea was that the soul was eternal but without a body it had no ability to interact with the world and was helplessly blown about for eternity.

Although it is part of her Vampire series, Anne Rice did a great take on how the concept of the afterlife evolved in the Judeo-Christian world in the novel, 'Memnoch the Devil' in which Lestat encounters a being who claims to be the one angel who always dared to question God's choices and stick up for the souls cast into nothingness after their bodies failed.[/quote]

I'm not sure on the whole 'issue new bodies after old ones died' thing. I don't recall anything like that from what I've learned when I was a kid. Isn't that more in line w/ Hinduism and the idea of reincarnation?[/quote]

It is plainly accepted in most branches of Christianity based on how the Book of Revelation describes the fate of humanity after the end of the mortal world. Actually, carried to its logical conclusion this also applies to those condemned to hell as they need bodies with which to experience their punishments. It is those consigned to Limbo who lack bodies and thus the ability to perceive any external sensation, leaving this as the remnant of the earlier Hebraic view of where all end up in the end.

Looking around at the various sects there are many fascinating details of how each has decided the time after The End shall be. If you ever find yourself stuck conversing with a really fanatical born-aginner, this can be ripe territory. They can be all over the map, depending on their take on sex, animals, etc. Will our new bodies have genitals? Will there be animals, especially the brighter ones like primates? The first time I ran into this was in 1978 when I was having dinner with my boss after work and this longtime friend of his from his circus childhood was along. She turned out to be a raging lunatic about this stuff, the first I met to tell me in all sincerity the name of the band KISS stood for 'Knights in the Service of Satan.' Oooh, scary!

In many cases the presumption is that your new body will be your old one after a full factory refurb. Consequently, many religions are sticklers for making sure you're buried with all your bits. If anything got chooped off or taken out along the way, you need to keep them around so they can go in the coffin with you. Although ancient Hebrews didn't expect much of the afterlife they had this tradition, too, on the basis that you had to show up with all your bits when you ran into God. (Contradictory, yes but this is religion.) This also get into the proscription against alterations like tattoos.

[quote name='epobirs']The problem is that the Gnostics never pursued power nor came into it accidentally as sometimes happened. They were on the scene but had little bearing on how events played out. By their nature they appealed to intellectuals and didn't have much to offer people who wanted simple assurance of an eternal that they would actually enjoy, as opposed to a conceptual eternal contentment which was only a small upgrade over the Hebrew tradition in which there was neither a heaven or hell but there was a sort of unpleasant afterlife to which everybody was subjected regardless of their behavior in life. The idea was that the soul was eternal but without a body it had no ability to interact with the world and was helplessly blown about for eternity.

Yes and then there is Julian the Apostate, the last great Pagan emperor who threw open the doors to the old temples and attempted to convince Christians to become Gnostics, because he foresaw the terrible ramifications of having a belief based on interpreting everything in the Bible as incontrovertable fact (IE the Dark Ages). Alas he was killed at 33 and the Galelians proceded to stamp out all religious competition in Europe throughout the next one and a half millenia.

The Christians have proven to be excellent marketers of their religion throughout the ages. The leaders label heaven as a paradise, and let the followers fill in the blanks with personal fantasies. The Christians cobble Haloween, Christmas, and Easter together from many Pagan celebrations and affix Christian labels and functions to each holiday. The Christians travel around the world spreading "the word of Jesus", and their methods of indoctrination range from all-out war to sophisticated marketing.

However now that literacy is common place (in America), it is disturbing to see fundamentalism on the rise. To someone interpreting the Bible literally, myths such as the Garden of Eden and the Tower of Babel could be interpreted as a warning against accumulating too much knowledge. It is actually a wise move by the modern American Christian churches to focus on the simler tales of the Jesus's life and teachings. After all, give milk to the babes, but reserve the meat for strong men.

[quote name='ZeroSupporT']Soley on the basis of fictional writing relating to christianity and not to thread jack but, anyone else read The DaVinci Code?? Totally bad ass book, but I wish I could find out how much was real in it.[/quote]

great book. TONS of fiction. Many, many, many, many things in the book are totally made up, or the facts are stretched a little bit. still fun though.

Eddie, I don't know if anyone has recommended this yet, or if you have already done it, but if you want to find a connection between the three days and Christ's resurrection, read the Bible. The first four books in the New Testatment (Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John) all contain "eyewitness accounts" of those three days. Since you're writing this as a fairy tale, you should be able to take what is written and touch it up using your imagination. If you're still having problem, suck it up and go ask a minister what he/she can tell you, just be prepared to listen for quite some time. Good luck man!

[quote name='Scorch']Ah, crap, a religion thread. I was looking forward to a great discussion on JC Denton :([/quote]

I thought it was going to be talk about deals at JC Penney (hey, you never know!).

I love it.

Men far wiser than ourselves have been arguing these points for hundreds and hundreds of years. They still don't have a definite answer either way.

Yet, there are some in this thread who feel that they have it all figured out. All I can say is, wow. Could one of you please share some of your infinite wisdom with me? :roll:

[quote name='Derwood43']I love it.

Men far wiser than ourselves have been arguing these points for hundreds and hundreds of years. They still don't have a definite answer either way.

Yet, there are some in this thread who feel that they have it all figured out. All I can say is, wow. Could one of you please share some of your infinite wisdom with me? :roll:[/quote]

From the looks of it, I think your avatar knows everything it needs to about this subject

In the future of a failing, religious world, an agent was sent back in time to create a martyr of peace, love, and understanding in hopes of creating a better future. The agent artificially inseminated Mary and the story begins. At the right age, the agent became a follower and disciple to Jesus - planning his every move like the puppet-master he was trained to be. Through present and future technology, the agent manipulated the views of Jesus by the people. They began to think of him as miraculous because of his un-explained capabilities. And so the story goes...
Or I could be WAY off. :)

[quote name='Wshakspear'][quote name='Derwood43']I love it.

Yet, there are some in this thread who feel that they have it all figured out. All I can say is, wow. Could one of you please share some of your infinite wisdom with me? :roll:[/quote]

From the looks of it, I think your avatar knows everything it needs to about this subject[/quote]

The dancing pill knows all and sees all...

btw, I have no idea what you meant by that.

[quote name='dwsscs']If you want the cliff notes go watch the Passion. Very good movie.[/quote]

I don't think the Passion will work. It went from his death straight to resurrection. There's no mention of those 3 days in between. Heck, I don't think the Passion would be good as a means of interpretation for non-Christians. I know a coupla my friends who aren't Catholic had about a billion questions for me after the movie since they knew only about 40% of what was going on. The major question asked? Why is the devil a bald pale white woman? 2nd major question? Why was that guy who betrayed Jesus being chased by demonic midgets?

bread's done
Back