Question about magazine date of publications...

Scahom1

CAGiversary!
File this under "Something I've always wondered about but never asked"

Ever notice how magazines are always dated at least 1-2 months in advance? For example, if it's March most magazines on the newstands will be dated April or May. Anybody know the reason for this?

I've never seen a magazine editor actually answer this question reaonably. Usually they say "Just to mess with your heads." I do believe it has something to do with newsstand dates and when you pull the issue. For example, the August issue comes out in July, but you pull it when August comes around.

#1 They usually do this to make their thousands of subscribers happy. Since some people live overseas, or move and have their mail forwarded, the advanced date sometimes arrives "on time" for these people. I've read this explanation in several magazines over the years. IMHO though, I really believe it is for option #2.

#2 Also, think about the automotive industry. I want an '06 model now, not an '05. The same goes for publications... people feel that they are getting the latest and greatest when they are buying something dated a month in advance.

bread's done
Back