Question about playing Wii on HDTV

drfunk85

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Alright, I looked around for this answer, and it may be obvious, but I am really confused and haven't been able to figure it out.

My dad just got a new 50" LG plasma. I don't play my Wii on it a lot, but I have tried. Anyway, there is a delay when playing it, about a half or quarter of a second, but noticeable. It makes things like Tennis on Wii Sports difficult. Is there some option to eliminate this? I've gone through the menu options on both the Wii and the Plasma and can't seem to find it, but maybe I'm being an idiot?

Anyway, thanks in advance.

Yeah, make sure it's hooked up via component cables and set to output to 480p in the Wii system menu.

If either of those are off, then it will be in 480i and that's going to give you some lag.

If it's hooked up with component and set to 480p and you're getting that much lag (seems unlikely to me though) you're probably out of look as most plasma TVs don't have game modes to the best of my knowledge.

Some makes and models of HDTV's have this lag, which make them virtually unusalble with video game systems. You might be SOL. Try a google search.

I sort of found that setting the wii on 480p (I have a samsung 42" DLP HDTV) just accentuates the jaggies. It makes the jaggies look more HD but more noticable.

I dont mind em though b/c im all about (okay, MOSTLY about) game play.

Yeah, the jaggies do look a bit worse in some games, but overall the textures etc. look better (i.e. just the edges looks worse) and it should reduce the lag on HDTVs some for people with TVs that have that problem.

[quote name='pittpizza']I sort of found that setting the wii on 480p (I have a samsung 42" DLP HDTV) just accentuates the jaggies. It makes the jaggies look more HD but more noticable.

I dont mind em though b/c im all about (okay, MOSTLY about) game play.[/quote]

Thank goodness you aren't an older gamer- you might not have made it out of the 90's without hurting yourself...sheesh.

The difference is night and day on the Wii with the component cables. Even older 'cube games auto start and ask if you want to play in progressive mode (which funny enough, is the same level of graphics as the Wii).

I guess it depends on how your HD-TV handles 480p input.

Mine upscales nicely to 720p on my 1080p set and looks pretty good but the image is soft if you look at it closely. I attribute that to the image interpolation in the upscaling. If your set is just blowing up the 480p without any interpolation or additional image processing then it might look worse.

[quote name='meesterjojo']Thank goodness you aren't an older gamer- you might not have made it out of the 90's without hurting yourself...sheesh.

The difference is night and day on the Wii with the component cables. Even older 'cube games auto start and ask if you want to play in progressive mode (which funny enough, is the same level of graphics as the Wii).[/quote]

This is kind of a silly statement, In the 90's most people didn't have 30+ inch TVs and the top of the line graphics had jaggies they were expected since antilacing wasn't really around for the most part.

Now with all the tools they have to reduce jagged edges and the size of TV's getting larger and larger any kind of graphical tear or jagged edge is painfully noticeable more so than it was in the 90's when you had a few people with large TV's so less people were noticing the edges.

On top of that you now have two other systems with state of the art graphical processing power that can make things look fantastic on these higher resolution TV's and here is the Wii not quite as graphically powerful trying to output on the same size TVs, of course your going to notice a difference. Especially if you've been playing a 360/PS3 and decide to boot up Mario or Metroid for a bit the capabilites are just to different for you "not" to notice it!

It dosen't ruin the game or make it any less "fun" but saying "thank goodness your a younger gamer you never would of survived gaming in the 90's" is just silly. Almost sounds like your talking about it like it was a war "yeah billy I survived the SNES vs Genesis war man it was rough let me tell you about the battle of Sonic vs Mario 16 bit!"

P.S. Sorry this was so long I got carried away >_>.

Yeah the people that think they are "real gamers" because they don't care at all about graphics drive me nuts.

Yes, game play is king. But gameplay and graphics aren't mutually exclusive. I had a blast with Mario, Metroid and Zelda on the Wii, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't have enjoyed them even more if they had 360 caliber graphics.

Graphics can enhance the gamplay. Seem something like Bioshock or Call of Duty 4 where the phenomenal graphics help immerse you in the atmosphere of the game.

I'm still impressed by the difference in quality when upgrading from 480i composite to 480p component. >.> Jaggies are hardly anything to worry about compared to video delay, dot crawl, interline twitter, etc. though. That is just my opinion.

I understand where those complaining about the jaggies are coming from, but I think they're overstating how much they negatively affect their gaming experience.

How is anyoone overstating them, when everyone that has mentioned them in this thread said "I don't mind them" and "gameplay is king."

They are an annoyance, but they don't ruin the games by any means.

I haven't noticed anything yet...but i just got my HDTV and Wii hooked up last night. I had a bit of jagginess playing SMB3 on the VC, but that was about it.

Then again, I also don't have HD component cables or anything like that set up.

[quote name='dmaul1114']How is anyoone overstating them, when everyone that has mentioned them in this thread said "I don't mind them" and "gameplay is king."

They are an annoyance, but they don't ruin the games by any means.[/quote]
"Those complaining about the jaggies" aren't necessarily those in this thread right now. You need to read other threads about jaggies to see how bad the people can get.

Anyway, about the subject at hand, there is also a possibility that your HDTV is doomed to have lag even if you use 480p output and have turned off all superfluous image processing. Some HDTVs (and even some SDTVs) will still noticeably lag after all this. You won't know with a particular model unless you tried it yourself or had word-of-mouth.

Jaggies is a pain when you are trying to play a game like warioware, zelda, mario party, games that require precise timing.

However games like Fire Emblem don't really matter lol

[quote name='t0llenz']I haven't noticed anything yet...but i just got my HDTV and Wii hooked up last night. I had a bit of jagginess playing SMB3 on the VC, but that was about it.

Then again, I also don't have HD component cables or anything like that set up.[/quote] Games look like ultra crap on HDTV without the HD component cables, you better get some soon.

Dmaul it seems even if you preface a gripe about noticable jaggies with "they don't ruin the game" and "gameplay is more important" people will still get offended and call you out.

You really can't even say the word "jaggies" without catching hell for it in the Wii forums. I'm surprised Strell hasn't taken a dumb in this thread yet with some variation of "Nintendo doesn't care about graphics so you are wasting time talking about them." Or "If you need good graphics to enjoy videogames you're not a real gamer." Even though nobody has said that graphics are the end-all be-all to gaming.

I agree though that orgasmic graphics do help immerse the gamer in the game even more.

BTW Meesterjojo, I am lucky to be a younger gamer, in my 26 years I've seen nothing but general improvment of videogames starting with my first NES circa 1989. I was 8 years old and a "gamer" then, my next door neighbor named Ben and I gamed so much people started calling him Bentendo.

[quote name='RyokoYaksa']"Those complaining about the jaggies" aren't necessarily those in this thread right now. You need to read other threads about jaggies to see how bad the people can get.
[/QUOTE]

True, I just assumed you were talking about this thread. People do go overboard with it sometimes.

Like I said, gameplay is still king. That said great graphics AND great gameplay is obviously best, and it takes a DAMN good Wii game (something like Mario Galaxy) to get me to drop whatever I'm playing on 360 and devote my limited gaming time to it.

bread's done
Back