Question about shrimp at restaurants

Ikohn4ever

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
So I was eating a decent restaurant today and I had a pasta with shrimp and scallops. Well the shrimp had their tails still on them, and it was a hassle getting the tails off. This has happened at a couple places and was wondering if anyone had any clues. Obviously they dont mean for you to eat them with your hands since they are covered in sauce. My only guess is to make it look fresh or something along those lines.

I was at a restaurant this weekend and noticed the same thing, though I'll be damned if I knew why they do it. Personally, I would take convenience over appearance. But then again, I guess that's why I don't eat at too many fine restaurants. :oops:

Generally I think it's just something to make it look like you got more shrimp than you did. I recently ate with my parents in a museum resturaunt. The menu had caesar salad for $5.99, and you could get shrimp for an extra $3.99. I ordered that, and it came out with THREE F'ING SHRIMP on it, tails and all. Three shrimp for four dollars? BS.

[quote name='AdamInPlaidum']Generally I think it's just something to make it look like you got more shrimp than you did. I recently ate with my parents in a museum resturaunt. The menu had caesar salad for $5.99, and you could get shrimp for an extra $3.99. I ordered that, and it came out with THREE F'ING SHRIMP on it, tails and all. Three shrimp for four dollars? BS.[/QUOTE]

Too bad there wasn't a Capt. D's... 12 shrimp for 99 cents.

:drool:

Ok, clarify: you're complaining about the shell still being on the end of the tail, right? Not that you got the whole shrimp?

I've been in restaurant were I got the whole shrimp or shrimp with legs, but that was intentional on their part. I was disgusted by it (didn't know thats how it would come) and didn't want to eat it though.

But, while I'm not sure about the restaurant you went to, some people do eat the tails. Whenever I got shrimp at a sushi place I'm the only person I ever see take off the tails, everyone else eats them. It feels strange pulling the tail off when you have half the shrimp in your mouth, especially when no one else does that.

I think eating the whole shrimp, or at least the tail, is much more common in asian restaurants than european or american ones.

If you're referring to just the tail, all you have to do is pinch it. You'll get all the meat that's in the tail and the shell will come off in about .05 seconds.

http://www.godhatesshrimp.com/ :lol:

I love this site, if you believe in Jesus, its believed that the fish he ate the most is tilapia fish.

[quote name='alonzomourning23']I've been in restaurant were I got the whole shrimp or shrimp with legs, but that was intentional on their part. I was disgusted by it (didn't know thats how it would come) and didn't want to eat it though.
[/QUOTE]

At least it don't come like this

Really whole shrimp

shrimp5.gif

[quote name='Graystone']http://www.godhatesshrimp.com/ :lol:

I love this site, if you believe in Jesus, its believed that the fish he ate the most is tilapia fish.

At least it don't come like this

Really whole shrimp

shrimp5.gif
[/QUOTE]

That's what I meant, excluding the really long antenna. I've seen them served like that in chinese restuarants, chinese grocery stores (as samples, in the hot food area and on packages) etc. They are often fried or suateed, but not always. I also accidentally got them like that once, as I was inexperienced with the chinese food in toronto. After that I always asked how the shrimp were served.

A place around here sometimes includes the legs, depending on the dish, but never the whole shrimp. In toronto though, where about 11% of the population is chinese, its very easy to find places serving whole shrimp. When its fried in batter or smothered in sauce you know its not meant to be picked apart. Though, even if I didn't, I've seen people eat it like that.

I guess it depends on where you go cuz the resturants I go to take the shells off unless the shimp is fried.

I personally think the tail is good because I like the crunch. BTW I got a a gift certificate to red lobster I will tell you all my findings on the shrimp.

I hate when they leave the shell on. You cant tell until you bite it because the damn thing is clear!

I know that when they leave the tail on, it's usually because the way they order it is with the tail on, so it's a matter of saving time. Also it's ordered frozen so it'd be too time consuming to deal with taking the tail off while frozen.

For the restaurants that buy them fresh, the reason why they leave it on is for presentation. If you take the tail off and serve it, it looks nasty, the inner part of the shrip is just a stub, but if you leave the tail on, 'shrip' is what comes into the mind of whoever is looking at it, while if the tail is off, they may mistake it with something else.

They leave the tail on because otherwise the shrimp will curl up into a little ball that can then become tough.

Shrimp cooked with the head + shell on is excellent it has more flavor and keeps more moisture in.

Whenever I get sushi with the tail, I just eat it as it is. Being that it's sushi, I just shrug it off and eat it however it's presented. Funny, I hate seafood, but love sushi! I think it's mostly a mind thing. I couldn't handle eating multiple shirmp with tails, it'd either gross me out or piss me off, don't know which!

Sack up, and be glad you have shrimp to eat.

Everyone who eats meat should have the experience of killing a big animal for food at least once. You'd appreciate the absurdity of atkins diets and have more respect for the food you have.

[quote name='savestheday888']Mmmm...Red Lobster...mmmm...[/QUOTE]

Are you fucking kidding me? Red Lobster is the biggest piece of shit food chain out there.

Come to Maine and get a real lawbstah.

[quote name='zionoverfire']...pull gently on the meat with your teeth.[/QUOTE]

I dont think they like it when you use your teeth:rofl:

bread's done
Back