Question for People Who've Exchanged Their Launch Units to MS

exRounder

CAGiversary!
For those of you who have had problems with your launch units and sent them back to MS, how did the whole thing go down? I'm thinking of sending mine now since it's getting frequent disc read errors on Oblivion, Dead Rising, and Gears of War. I thought it was bearable, but I'm gonna err on the side of caution.

Did you just have to send the console back in the box? Also, if it was a Premium, did you return it WITH the hard drive? How do you keep all your saves if you turn it in to them? Do they install your HD to the new unit?

I'm not sure if there's anything else, but that's all that's come to mind right now.

Any responses are appreciated.

You send it in with nothing. No faceplate, cords, HDD, nothing. You have to pay to ship it to them. Mine took a week to get there priority. They had it for 3 days, and then sent me a refurbished one. Took 4 days to get back to me.

Thanks for the response. I hear refurbished when it comes to used games and consoles, but do you mind giving me a brief definition of what it means in this context? Used but fixed? Your console but fixed? Also, did you end up having to have the receipt to the exchange?

Thanks, Trakan.

I did NOT have to pay for shipping either way and received a replacement within 1 week of me sending mine. Currently, the one I have has a slight error so this one is going back too. The pain in the ass comes in arcade games. You have to re-download them coz MS are assholes and you wont be able to play them w/o live connected.

[quote name='exRounder']Thanks for the response. I hear refurbished when it comes to used games and consoles, but do you mind giving me a brief definition of what it means in this context? Used but fixed? Your console but fixed? Also, did you end up having to have the receipt to the exchange?

Thanks, Trakan.[/quote]
It's somebody else's broken console that came in that they have now fixed. They say they do it to 'Get you back in the game quicker,' but meh. It's not your console, usually. No receipt.

s3v3n777, when did you send your console in?

[quote name='Trakan']You send it in with nothing. No faceplate, cords, HDD, nothing. You have to pay to ship it to them. Mine took a week to get there priority. They had it for 3 days, and then sent me a refurbished one. Took 4 days to get back to me.[/quote]

Yeah this is pretty much exactly what my experience over the last few weeks was like. And to confirm the new shipping policy, they no longer send you a box to ship your 360. You have to now pay to ship it to Texas for the repairs. It cost me almost $20 to ship mine.

Wow...so they are charging for the coffin now? That's lame as hell. I sent my 360 in about 2-3 months ago. The new one has a slight prob with the drive, but I'll live with it and ask for a repair when my warranty is about to expire.

If you have the extended warranty through MS you don't have to pay for shipping.

To answer the OPs question it takes around 10 days total. And like someone else said take off everything that can be taken off.

I didn't have any warranty other than what came with it a year ago. The CSR asked for my SN and then hooked me up.

Thanks for all the help, everyone.

To TRAKEN (and anyone else for more perspectives):
No receipt? I heard you needed one so I put this off out of hopelessness, but I really don't wanna get stuck with a broken console later. How did it go down? Call them with the serial number to confirm date of manufacture and then everything's set to send it to them? Also, were you still able to buy the extended warranty to it? Thanks again.

[quote name='exRounder']Thanks for all the help, everyone.

To TRAKEN (and anyone else for more perspectives):
No receipt? I heard you needed one so I put this off out of hopelessness, but I really don't wanna get stuck with a broken console later. How did it go down? Call them with the serial number to confirm date of manufacture and then everything's set to send it to them? Also, were you still able to buy the extended warranty to it? Thanks again.[/quote]

The receipt from the store you bought it? No. Tell them the serial number and they'll be able to tell the manufacture date. You won't get stuck with a broken console. You'll be able to buy the warranty on the new system, yes. It'll be under warranty for 30 days after you get it. Talk to the guy on the phone and he'll get into the specifics such as the repair order number, etc.

Took me 3 weeks. First day called, called in a week, said they shipped the box, but was delayed a few days because of a sys update. (showed it shipped that day tha tI called again) 2 days (thnksgiving weekend, had to wait till monday, forgot monday) shipped tues, called sunday for tracking, said they will ship tommorow, call then, never did, came wed.

So took 3 weeks, and it came with a faceplate, so I got 2 faceplates now.

This is why you buy a warranty where you got it! I bought a 2 yr warranty just in case cost me $60 bucks and they send it in for free or if it has like major problems they replace it I think.

[quote name='Trakan']The receipt from the store you bought it? No. Tell them the serial number and they'll be able to tell the manufacture date. You won't get stuck with a broken console. You'll be able to buy the warranty on the new system, yes. It'll be under warranty for 30 days after you get it. Talk to the guy on the phone and he'll get into the specifics such as the repair order number, etc.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for all the help Trakan. Much appreciated.

bread's done
Back