Question for people with fitness gym membership exp

Rags

CAGiversary!
If you belong to a fitness place with a membership can you go anytime you want, or can you only go at certain times of a day(like a scheduled time)?

They may be different, I don't know. Thinking of getting a membership to run and do a couple other things. It is cold as balls during the winter in Indiana and at my house I am always distracted with other things(TV and video games).

Anybody who has any knowhow would be greatly appreciated.

Totally up to the gym itself.

There's a chain called 24 Hour Fitness that implies just that - you can go whenever. Which is beneficial because it'll be dead late at night and such (when all the dumbass soccer moms and fat executives aren't around sweating their asses off). 'Course you run the risk of missing out on things like aerobics and cycling classes if you plan on doing that.

I go to a small local gym that is open from 5 AM - 11 PM during the week, and then like 9-8 on the weekend. It works for the most part, but there are days when I can't get there until 5 or so, and then I end up having to leave earlier than I'd like.

Just go ask. I would point out that if you want classes (again, aerobics, cycling, etc), ask if those are included with membership or not, as sometimes they are additional costs either per session or for an additional monthly fee. Also ask about extra privileges - if there's a pool, do you get to use it at any time the gym is open? Are towels free? Can you rent a locker for free when you are there? Can you get any sort of free personal trainer session? If it has a pool/racquetball/tennis/basketball/etc, can you rent equipment for free?

Also ask general questions - when is it the busiest, who is in charge, does it cost money to bring a friend, etc. Get a tour, look around at what they have, get a business card from them, etc.

So the basic point is to just go and ask in person. That way you can see what they have and such.

I'm not really interested in a trainer or classes or stuff like that. Main concern was that they would tell me I had to go between certain times everytime, but I would not think it to be like that, just curious what others knew.
I figure I would go look around later this week, just wanted to know what to expect in a place. There are 5 or so places around where I live, so there is some shopping to do.

Thanks for all that info, helps out.

4-8 or so are busy hours. You figure you'll get kids out of high school, all the 9-5'ers, and (as I mentioned) the soccer moms and fat execs.

It'd be best to head over there at that time and check it out, or just ask the clerks. They ought to know. And who knows, it might not be so bad that it'll keep you from doing what you need to do.

From what I understand, busiest hours for gyms are very early morning (before work) and then immediately after work into the early night. So if you can get there from 8-2 or so during the day or after 8 at night, it wouldn't be crowded.

But again, it might not matter.

In general, it's usually only exercise classes, trainer sessions, or athletic facilities (basketball courts, tennis courts) which are scheduled and would dictate your workout time.

Other than that, most facilities with weight rooms and aerobic machines are available at all times to anyone within their hours of operation.

I think some places have cheaper memberships that are only allowed to use the facilities at certain hours (usually off peak hours)

Remember a lot of the places are setup to make their money on the majority of people who sign up for a year membership and then only come in 2 or 3 times. If I were you I'd look for a place that offers month to month memberships and see how it goes from there.

Some places have alternate day memberships. The best thing to do, obviously, is to check with the gyms that you are considering.

[quote name='Rags']I'm not really interested in a trainer or classes or stuff like that. .[/quote]
One of the problems I had with 24 Hour in my local area is that there were trainers who were trying to get clients. It became uncomfortable to go to the gym because everytime I went, I had to deal with the 'Hard Sell' sales pitch from these trainers.

If you do check out these gyms, ask if these trainers work on commission if they have any. That could provide a clue to see if you have to deal with that.

Why do it the hard way?

Here is a much easier way to build up your HP:

060307_1623%7E01.JPG

bread's done
Back