Question for those who needed Wii repaired/replaced?

Nomar1245

CAGiversary!
My Wii has been acting up a little bit lately. i.e. not wanting to eject games, not wanting to let me insert games, etc.

Today it finally stopped working completely. Luckily there aren't any games in the machine.

I am going to send it for repairs, or replacement(I'm not sure what they'll do.)

Basically I was just wondering a few things:

1. It being a launch system, will they fix it or replace it?(If you have any way to know.)

2. How was your particular expirience?

I found this blog, and you should all check it out. It's a great story and definitly boosts my hopes Nintendo will do right by me. The thing is it doesn't completely apply to my situation.

Nintendo Repair at Nintendo Headquarters Blog:
http://fiendishgleeclub.vox.com/library/post/customer-service-gone-shockingly-right.html

Nintendo will offer you two options.

1) Get a replacement system RIGHT NOW and include a shipping label to send the broken one back to them with.

2) Send yours in and get it fixed, if possible, or replaced. I have a feeling in the spirit of keeping customers happy they almost always just replace things, repair what you send it, and sell it refurb.

If you have no need to save things that can't be put on the controllers / SD card, then option 1 will be the way to go. If you have VC games and/or points you want to keep, you'll have to go with option 2.

As of now they are sending me a shipping label and are going to repair it.

I would like a new system so I could have full faith in it working, but I'd kind of like to get my original one back because I got it at launch.

Either way I should be fine.

Just got my "Advanced Replacement" Wii via UPS today. I needed it fixed because of the graphics chip problem ( jaggies appearing on screen ). I was kind of bummed out when I opened the box and saw a sticker that said "Remanufactured product". I was hoping for a brand new one but upon visual inspection this thing looks brand new. It's shiny and has not one scratch or smudge on it. The little rubber feet on the bottom were also nice and white. I didn't buy VC stuff so this seems O.K. for me. I just wonder if I register this replacement unit, will I get another year warranty plus the extra 90 days? Oh yeah, I have 21 days to return my defective unit in the same box. The Free shipping label was included. The guy on the phone at Nintendo was really cool about the whole thing and apoligized for the problem like 10 times! Overall, so far so good.

I'm just curious... those of you with Wii hardware problem, how many hours of gameplay you guys/gals put on the Wii?

From the size of the Wii, i would say it's pretty good design and all, not to flame a war or two, but i think Nintendo makes more reliable consoles than MS (no mention of Sony, please don't start). Of course, there's always a chance of few bad apples among the whole crop.

[quote name='Serpentor']I'm just curious... those of you with Wii hardware problem, how many hours of gameplay you guys/gals put on the Wii?

From the size of the Wii, i would say it's pretty good design and all, not to flame a war or two, but i think Nintendo makes more reliable consoles than MS (no mention of Sony, please don't start). Of course, there's always a chance of few bad apples among the whole crop.[/quote]I had played somewhere between 60 and 80 hours I think when I first saw it (40 of that being Zelda, the other chunk mostly being playing Wii Sports with the family). Mine was just a bad GPU that, as you said, got slipped into a few of the early units.

Honestly I played only about 5-10 hours or so when I first noticed the strange colors and that was mostly Wii Sports and Wii Play. I noticed it right away but my wife said I was being picky about the graphics. Things just got worse and were really noticeable with Trauma Center. On the dark backgrounds of the operating room the little Jaggies really stood out. Even my wife noticed that something was wrong. I would have taken it back to Toys R Us but they had none in stock so I called Nintendo.

I had mine repaired for the faulty GPU also. I had some VC stuff not a lot but the process was fairly easy and fast when i shipped it out i had it back within about 7 or 8 days. so i was happy. I was in the middle of other games so i didn't miss it. I just had to re download my VC channels and updates.

I got mine at launch but I guess I am lucky. I haven't had any problem, and that thing has plenty of hours of gametime. Any common problems I should keep an eye out for?

bread's done
Back