Question on audio output for PS3

Purkeynator

CAGiversary!
Feedback
148 (100%)
I currently have my PS3 running through my Yamaha receiver via HDMI and then on to my 1080P T.V. . I didn't know this when I hooked it up this way but apparently my receiver only outputs 720P or 1080i over its HDMI output. So 1080P setting on my PS3 does not put out anything. I plan to hook up my PS3 now directly to my TV and output the sound back through the optical out on my TV back to the receiver for my surround. Right now I am getting uncompressed PCM sound on 5.1 channels through the HDMI hook-up. If I run it through the TV's optical out back to the receiver am I going to get back "only" Dolby Digital 5.1 sound hooking it up this way? I am curious before I go to all the trouble of moving out my big ass 60" TV and wall unit. Does anyone here have their PS3 going directly into the TV and then the sound out the optial out of the TV? Thanks for any help

I have mine setup this way to an Onkyo Sr604 receiver, its only Dolby Digital through optical. As far as I know PCM is only through HDMI.

PCM can also be transmitted through analog cables, as long as your receiver has seperate inputs for each speaker ie: left, right, center, left surround, right surround, sub. These are known as multi channel inputs.

sounds like you may have a few otions for getting PCM and 1080p with your setup, but it depends entirely on the TV and the receiver.

If your TV has an HDMI out, then simply hook your ps3 up directly to the TV, and send an HDMI cable from the TV to your receiver.

If your tv has multi channel outs (not bloody likely), you can run those instead of the HDMI.

Of course, you could get an HDMI splitter, but good luck finding one that is HDMI 1.3 compliant (they're kind of expensive as well).

PCM, however, will not run through optical cables (not enough bandwidth) or co-ax digital audio cables.

You can get PCM through the optical port but its only 2.0. You can have that simulated to 5.1 by the Dolby Pro logic in you receiver, but that probably doesn't sound anthing close to true 5.1 PCM.

I would hook up your PS3 directly to your TV and then compare it to see how it looks through your reciever. Depending on your TVs scaler and how good your eyes are at picking details, you might not be able to tell a difference between 1080i/p.

If it does look better hooked directly up to the TV with 1080p, then you should pick a movie and listen to the dolby digital vs the PCM. And then you can decide which means more to you, the uncompressed sound or the 1080p.

[quote name='SCps3player']PCM can also be transmitted through analog cables, as long as your receiver has seperate inputs for each speaker ie: left, right, center, left surround, right surround, sub. These are known as multi channel inputs.

sounds like you may have a few otions for getting PCM and 1080p with your setup, but it depends entirely on the TV and the receiver.

If your TV has an HDMI out, then simply hook your ps3 up directly to the TV, and send an HDMI cable from the TV to your receiver.

If your tv has multi channel outs (not bloody likely), you can run those instead of the HDMI.

Of course, you could get an HDMI splitter, but good luck finding one that is HDMI 1.3 compliant (they're kind of expensive as well).

PCM, however, will not run through optical cables (not enough bandwidth) or co-ax digital audio cables.[/quote]

Are there any tv's that have HDMI outs? I don't think there are, but am no expert on tvs and there a hundred brands out there. The 1.3 splitter wouldn't do any good, because the receiver and tv aren't 1.3 compliant

You can get PCM through the optical port but its only 2.0. You can have that simulated to 5.1 by the Dolby Pro logic in you receiver, but that probably doesn't sound anthing close to true 5.1 PCM.

Right and right. I probably should have said 5.1 for clarity, but that is why I listed all the speakers in a 5.1 setup.

PCM 2.0 is very good as far as sound quality, but since it is basically just an uncompressed stereo signal, any simulated surround effects by your receiver won't give the same surround effect as a true dts or dolby digital 5.1 signal.

I personally do not notice a whole lot of difference between dts or dolby digital or PCM 5.1 - other than the PCM signal is invariably a little louder. I can, however, notice the difference between an upscaled 1080p picture from 1080i and the real thing - well, at least on my tv I can.

If it were me, and I absolutely had to do a tradeoff in either audio or video (PCM or 1080p), I would favor the video. I know the OP wants both, but he may not be able to get both without purchasing a splitter.

[quote name='paddlefoot']Are there any tv's that have HDMI outs? I don't think there are, but am no expert on tvs and there a hundred brands out there. The 1.3 splitter wouldn't do any good, because the receiver and tv aren't 1.3 compliant[/quote]

I can't find any out there with HDMI outs, but I'm no expert either. I also can not find any with multi channel outs. This likely limits the OP's options to gettting a signal splitter.

The OP made no reference to his equipment being 1.3 compliant or not. Apparently, though, he doesn't need a 1.3 splitter anyway. I mistakenly believed that in order to pass both a 1080p signal and PCM 5.1 audio over HDMI at the same time, you needed 1.3. It turns out that any HDMI cable will transmit both. Only DTS-HD master and Dolby True HD require 1.3.

Still, unless the OP does have a TV with HDMI or multi channel outs, he will have to get a splitter in order to enjoy both PCM 5.1 and 1080p - but it doesn't have to be 1.3 compliant.

bread's done
Back