Question on PS3 250 GB 2012 Black Friday Bundle

Billytwoshoes

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
Hey CAGs,

I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to PS3 console bundles, though I've been meaning to pick one up someday to catch up on the exclusives (and as a replacement Blu-ray player).  I just saw at one of my local stores the PS3 250GB 2012 Black Friday Bundle for $179.99 which piqued my interest.  I know it's a good deal, so no need to go there, but I had few questions:

1) Do the games (inFAMOUS Collection and Uncharted Dual Pack) come in physical disc form with their cases?  Are they sealed in that scenario?  Or are they just in the form of digital copies?  The ability to sell those off and keep the console is one of my main sticking points (though I may keep Uncharted).

2) In comparison to other PS3 models out there (I think this is the super slim version), how does it stack up? Just debating if it would be worth it to seek out an older model that has better reliability / quality components, or if by this iteration it's a non-issue.  I don't care about BC, already have my PS2 and a back up for that.

3) Any issues in using this as my main Blu-ray player?  It wouldn't get a ton of use, but I was burnt (twice actually) on the PS2 by using it as my main DVD player (thankfully I had extended warranties then).  My current Blu-ray is running fine, but I may use that one as an alternate player in another room.

Oh, I also have no interest in picking up a PS4, in case people were going to suggest that route.  Thanks in advance to all who answer!

Last edited by a moderator:
The games are not retail; the are in cardboard holders. You will not get much in terms of resale value. I'm guessing hundreds of thousands of these were sold over the holidays and everybody had the same idea as you.

Super slim is fine; it's the lowest cost form factor from Sony. Some say it looks/feels cheap and runs louder then the ordinary slim but most of those people are going off of a few reviews and don't actually own one. I think it'll hold up fine

PS3 is one of the best blu-ray players on the market. 

The games are sealed and disc based, but come in four separate cardboard sleeves and not blu-ray cases, with additional download codes for Infamous: Festival of Blood and some avatars and stuff.

Uncharted 2 is definitely worth keeping, by the way.

I bought this bundle myself, I traded in/swapped at a local game store for the retail versions. I am a 360/XB1 guy but I'm ok with my PS3 and PS+. 

I don't really notice how loud it is but, I've never had one before. One thing I don't like is how slow the psn network is! I had a 3GB update and it took 1.5 hours whereas my 360 would take considerably less time.

I have the super slim from the latest bundle (arkham+TLOU) and I actually like it a lot better than the previous iterations.

First off, from what I've read--the console "seems" plasticy and cheap, but in no way are the components less reliable than the other iterations. So do not worry about that.

It IS louder than the slim, as the original slim had a way of muffling the disc. That being said, it is definitely not terribly loud and if you're seated a few feet away you may not even hear it. It does not get in the way of your gaming.

Personally, I really like the design, but my reasons may seem a little nutty. The super slim's disc drive slides open, so you can tell where your disc goes. Knowing where my disc goes is much more relieving to me; I get nervous with devices that "suck" your disc in. For one, I feel that the sucking mechanism could break much easier than the sliding mechanism. For two, on the off-chance it broke in middle of a game, I could salvage the disc easier with the super slim mechanism. These are probably misconceptions but it just feels better to me. In that way, the super slims remind me of the PS2 slims, which were awesome.

The super slim is the only iteration of the North American console to get special edition colors--it comes in red, white, and azurite blue. I think it looks particularly nifty in azurite blue. You can still get a blue console from Amazon with All-Stars Battle or from Gamestop with Last of Us (looks like you found the bundle you wanted though, heh).

Thanks for the feedback everyone, knowing the game information and console quality notes are helpful.  They have four bundles left at this store (and tucked away somewhat in a glass case), so I have some time to think about it for now.

And when I say think I mean convince the wife to drop $180+tax (less if I sell the games off) on something we don't "need" right now (though she does want to play TLoU after showing her the trailers).

bread's done
Back