Question on Shipping Ebay Items via USPS

Monoxide1986

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Hey, I'm kind of new to shipping out items through USPS so I was hoping someone might give me some advice.

I've got a few auctions ending soon on ebay and I'm not sure the best way to send these and ensure they get there in one piece. I recently sold an NES game (Panic Restaurant) for a big chunk of change so I actually packed it up really nice to ensure it wouldn't get messed up. The items I'm selling now aren't nearly worth that one, so I was hoping to keep this on the cheap.

Here are my questions.

Does USPS provide any sort of free packaging materials?

For reference, the items I need to ship are 3 ps1 games, 1 nes game, and a gameboy player with disc.

I was thinking about using the media bubble mailers if they are free (or cheap).

Thanks in advance.

Only priority mail materials are free. The packing materials you buy from the post office are not inexpensive. I would probably just pick up the materials that you need from walmart if you aren't going to be selling more stuff soon.

Priority and Express mail materials are free from the USPS website and the post office.

The bubble mailers are free, and I think the postage cost on them is around $5.

Bubble mailers that're free from the USPS? I'm guessing you guys mean the Priority Mail Flat Rate envelopes, right? Those things have ZERO bubble wrap padding in them. They're just cardboard envelopes.

As for cheap/free packing materials, I'd suggest to go to some stores and ask them if they have any smaller cardboard boxes you could get. Most places would likely have to pay to get rid of them, so you're doing them a service AND getting free packing materials in return.;)

As long as the PS1 games aren't over certain dimensions and 13oz, you could get away with sending them first class mail with Delivery Confirmation. The NES game should also qualify unless that includes an original box or something with it. Although I've never shipped classic games past the PS1 era stuff, so I don't know exactly what NES/SNES/Genesis/SMS games weigh in at.

The Gameboy player with disc you may want to put into a medium flat rate box with DC, since if you cram it into just a bubble mailer with no protection around it then it's very likely it could get damaged en route.

But whatever you do, don't cheap out and try to ship the games Media Mail. Why? Because video games AREN'T allowed to go that rate, which should really be the only thing you need to consider when deciding on a shipping rate. But also that FCM is usually only pennies more expensive than media and I've typically had games going FCM arrive in 3-5 days MAX most times as opposed to sending stuff media or Parcel Post.

^They do have flat rate bubble mailers now but they can only be ordered online. They are good since you can fit 3 DVD sized game cases in them

for regular bubble mailers I go to sams's club. A 25 pack is around $7, the 25 pack for $5 doesn't seem to fit games well except PSP games

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Bubble mailers that're free from the USPS? I'm guessing you guys mean the Priority Mail Flat Rate envelopes, right? Those things have ZERO bubble wrap padding in them. They're just cardboard envelopes.

As for cheap/free packing materials, I'd suggest to go to some stores and ask them if they have any smaller cardboard boxes you could get. Most places would likely have to pay to get rid of them, so you're doing them a service AND getting free packing materials in return.;)

As long as the PS1 games aren't over certain dimensions and 13oz, you could get away with sending them first class mail with Delivery Confirmation. The NES game should also qualify unless that includes an original box or something with it. Although I've never shipped classic games past the PS1 era stuff, so I don't know exactly what NES/SNES/Genesis/SMS games weigh in at.

The Gameboy player with disc you may want to put into a medium flat rate box with DC, since if you cram it into just a bubble mailer with no protection around it then it's very likely it could get damaged en route.

But whatever you do, don't cheap out and try to ship the games Media Mail. Why? Because video games AREN'T allowed to go that rate, which should really be the only thing you need to consider when deciding on a shipping rate. But also that FCM is usually only pennies more expensive than media and I've typically had games going FCM arrive in 3-5 days MAX most times as opposed to sending stuff media or Parcel Post.[/QUOTE]

I didn't read your whole post but USPS has free Priority Mail PADDED Flat Rate Mailers that ship for roughly $5 depending if you buy postage online or instore. Right now you have to order these from USPS.com as post offices don't carry them

They will also be releasing Express Padded Flat Rate Mailers soon too.

OP if you're only mailing a few items just buy bubble mailers from the dollar store as that'll probably be cheapest unless you're willing to buy them in bulk elsewhere

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Interesting. But since I don't pay for postage online that kinda sucks that the actual post offices don't carry them yet.[/QUOTE]

I don't think post offices will carry them ever. There are all kids of different shaped priority boxes you can get for free at USPS.com. You should check it out. You can still use them and pay for postage in store but it is just going to run a little bit more.

I ship out so few items anymore it's kinda sad. At one point I was at least shipping out 1-4 items a week. But now it's down to maybe 1-2 items every 3-4 months.

Thanks for the advice.

Last time I shipped out the NES game, I fit it into a small box I had laying around the house and sent it USPS First Class, cost ~$9 with insurance and tracking. I'll probably just pick up the supplies I need from Walmart and do the same with these and hope they come out equal to or under the $4 I charged on each one.

I was hoping to be thrifty, but from the sound of it, it might be more worthwhile to do it right and not risk getting the items damaged in shipping. I'm starting to remember now why I quit selling on eBay 5 years ago......

Thanks!

You're quite welcome. I know I tried cheaping out the one time I sent a boxload of game guides to someone on here. I sent them Parcel Post in a box that I tried cutting down to fit snugly around them. Apparently somewhere along the route they got either dropped in water or left out on the dock at a postal service facility, since the box got wet and 2-4 of the guides had a decent amount of warped pages and other issues.

So yeah, definitely try to make your packages to fit as snugly around the items you're shipping as possible(but also don't forget to pad them for some potential bumping en route) and if possible put the items into a plastic bag INSIDE the package so if the packaging is cardboard in nature and it gets wet the item should stay dry.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']
So yeah, definitely try to make your packages to fit as snugly around the items you're shipping as possible(but also don't forget to pad them for some potential bumping en route) and if possible put the items into a plastic bag INSIDE the package so if the packaging is cardboard in nature and it gets wet the item should stay dry.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I typically wrap everything I ship inside the box/package as if it were going to go through a tsunami or natural disaster. The local PC shop I worked for during college shipped across the U.S. and some of our stuff would get damaged in the oddest of ways including the one time we had a case shipment come in and you could literally make out the print of the warehouse persons boot in the side of one of the cases (that was in the box, with packing materials and covered in plastic). I believe it said Lugz....... Gotta love UPS. :applause:

Thinking back on that... yeah.. not skimping on protecting this stuff.

I don't know how much these games cost, but I don't bother with insurance or signature confirmation unless it is over $50 or so. Most of the time things get through just fine.

[quote name='yourlefthand']I don't know how much these games cost, but I don't bother with insurance or signature confirmation unless it is over $50 or so. Most of the time things get through just fine.[/QUOTE]

Only game over $50 was the copy of Snow Brothers I sold for ~$95. The others were less than $30. I was thinking I would do signature confirmation so I can get my moneys released from Paypal quicker (after giving them the tracking number).

[quote name='Monoxide1986']Only game over $50 was the copy of Snow Brothers I sold for ~$95. The others were less than $30. I was thinking I would do signature confirmation so I can get my moneys released from Paypal quicker (after giving them the tracking number).[/QUOTE]

I didn't realize that that affected getting paypal money released. Is it really worth $2 to have it sooner?

[quote name='yourlefthand']I didn't realize that that affected getting paypal money released. Is it really worth $2 to have it sooner?[/QUOTE]

I want my MONEY! :lol:

Anyone here had to deal with shipping internationally (in this case, to Canada)?

The dipshit that bought 2 of my items wants me to ship them to BC and is requesting a final price for shipping and everything even though I stated in the ad that I don't ship outside the U.S. Is it costly to send first class USPS to Canada?

[quote name='Monoxide1986']Anyone here had to deal with shipping internationally (in this case, to Canada)?

The dipshit that bought 2 of my items wants me to ship them to BC and is requesting a final price for shipping and everything even though I stated in the ad that I don't ship outside the U.S. Is it costly to send first class USPS to Canada?[/QUOTE]

Nope. First class to Canada used to be cheaper then First Class to the U.S. (go figure) but since the prices changed at the start of the year it is only slightly more expensive.

Keep in mind you have no seller protection if you ship anywhere internationally by First Class International as it does NOT provide proof of delivery. You will not get any tracking updates after it posts through U.S. customs.

If you have a dishonest buyer you will be out your money and item because all they will have to do is claim non receipt and file an INR claim with eBay/PayPal.

That being said I ship internationally and have had very few problems. You can ship items up to 4lbs by USPS FCI. If it is over 4lbs it must go either Priority or Express.

Say what you want about the USPS but it is much much much much cheaper to ship internationally then any other carrier

[quote name='GBAstar']Nope. First class to Canada used to be cheaper then First Class to the U.S. (go figure) but since the prices changed at the start of the year it is only slightly more expensive.

Keep in mind you have no seller protection if you ship anywhere internationally by First Class International as it does NOT provide proof of delivery. You will not get any tracking updates after it posts through U.S. customs.

If you have a dishonest buyer you will be out your money and item because all they will have to do is claim non receipt and file an INR claim with eBay/PayPal.

That being said I ship internationally and have had very few problems. You can ship items up to 4lbs by USPS FCI. If it is over 4lbs it must go either Priority or Express.

Say what you want about the USPS but it is much much much much cheaper to ship internationally then any other carrier[/QUOTE]

So what are my options to ship internationally and get confirmation? The package will be under a lb.

I'm looking into how much it'll cost, but it's mostly just super damn irritating that the moron couldn't read the damn listing and realize that I wouldn't ship to him in the first place.

If you ship 1st class to Canada, you have to go to the post office to pay for it. Paypal won't give you the option for it, and that makes me normally pass on it.

Paypal will let you send it priority internationally, which I think does come with delivery confirmation, but is more expensive. I believe it is 12.95 for a priority mail bubble flat rate envelope.

If someone in Canada wants my stuff, I throw the priority mail price up there.

I normally buy a 5 pack of bubble mailers for like $4-$5 and ship via a USPS kiosk. Much cheaper (and faster) than waiting in line at the post office. Usually costs me $2.30 on average to ship a DVD-sized item First-Class with free delivery confirmation. Usually beats Priority Mail items in shipping speed too, which I find funny.

[quote name='Monoxide1986']So what are my options to ship internationally and get confirmation? The package will be under a lb.

I'm looking into how much it'll cost, but it's mostly just super damn irritating that the moron couldn't read the damn listing and realize that I wouldn't ship to him in the first place.[/QUOTE]

To get true delivery confirmation on international shipments when using USPS you need to use either Priority, Priority Medium Flat Rate or Large Flat Rate or any Express Service (any other priority flat rates [i.e. small box, padded envelope, flat rate envelope) do NOT count and are treated as FCI parcels as far as customs forms and tracking are considered).

I think Priority to Canada starts around $25 and would be the cheapest method. To every other country Priority Typically starts around $32

Another option is going First Class and adding a registered service to it. I've never done that before so I don't know if it actually works but it is supposed to. It is very slow though.

I don't know how much it'll be worth it for just a couple things but if you plan on doing more I go to an electronics manufacturing plant and ask for their used shipping materials. Everything ships in various size bubble wrap bags inside boxes so I'll fill up my truck with 10 or so trash bags full of it all. They love it because it's less for them to throw away and it saves me a ton on shipping supplies. I ship 1-10 things a day though, which is why it's worth my time to do that.

bread's done
Back