question re: blockbuster stores

jshorr

CAGiversary!
Just a quick question if anyone knows. I have a friend who I want to sign up at blockbuster so he can trade some games in for me from time to time. He had an account back a loooong time ago and was delinquent at a few stores. This was years ago. If he wants to go in and open up a new account at a blockbuster he's never been to are they going to have him in the system/will be be blacklisted etc. If so is there any way he can take care of it like by paying anything he owes off, etc. Thanks.

Usually when you have delinquent charges they threaten to screw up your credit. But anyway I worked there and signed up plenty of people, when you enter indentical information for a person, it mentions it. But if the clerk accepts the old account the screen resets and they have to repeat the sign up process and then they dont accept the account and they make a new one. He should have any trouble

[quote name='sj41']What do you mean by delinquent?[/quote]

I mean like nothing too serious but probably had like 1 or 2 movies that were taken out and never returned at 2 blockbusters.

[quote name='jshorr'][quote name='sj41']What do you mean by delinquent?[/quote]

I mean like nothing too serious but probably had like 1 or 2 movies that were taken out and never returned at 2 blockbusters.[/quote]So, he stole movies from them? :?

[quote name='sj41'][quote name='jshorr'][quote name='sj41']What do you mean by delinquent?[/quote]

I mean like nothing too serious but probably had like 1 or 2 movies that were taken out and never returned at 2 blockbusters.[/quote]So, he stole movies from them? :?[/quote]

Not intentionally, but the guy was lazy and irresponsible and had movies out late all the time, and his house was a mess and he misplaced them for long periods of time. A lot of people were always over moving shit around, etc. So he lost the movies for a long time and never went in to pay whatever they wanted for the lost movie. He found them like a year later.

[quote name='spyhunterk19']My Dad has a library book with a due date of 1976, it happens.[/quote] :lol: Priceless.

[quote name='jshorr'][quote name='sj41'][quote name='jshorr'][quote name='sj41']What do you mean by delinquent?[/quote]

I mean like nothing too serious but probably had like 1 or 2 movies that were taken out and never returned at 2 blockbusters.[/quote]So, he stole movies from them? :?[/quote]

Not intentionally, but the guy was lazy and irresponsible and had movies out late all the time, and his house was a mess and he misplaced them for long periods of time. A lot of people were always over moving shit around, etc. So he lost the movies for a long time and never went in to pay whatever they wanted for the lost movie. He found them like a year later.[/quote]

Didn't block buster threaten his credit or anything? My cousin didn't turn in a movie and 2 months later she started getting letters from a collection agency for them.

[quote name='zionoverfire'][quote name='jshorr'][quote name='sj41'][quote name='jshorr'][quote name='sj41']What do you mean by delinquent?[/quote]

Not intentionally, but the guy was lazy and irresponsible and had movies out late all the time, and his house was a mess and he misplaced them for long periods of time. A lot of people were always over moving shit around, etc. So he lost the movies for a long time and never went in to pay whatever they wanted for the lost movie. He found them like a year later.[/quote]

Didn't block buster threaten his credit or anything? My cousin didn't turn in a movie and 2 months later she started getting letters from a collection agency for them.[/quote]

He says no they didn't. It was actually just one movie per store and it was like 7 years ago.

[quote name='Derwood43']Depending on the employee, you...er...your friend shouldn't have any trouble, if it is a different Blockbuster.[/quote]

LOL it really is a friend of mine. He just happens to go to Staten Island, NY every week to visit family, which happens to be where all 3 GR stores in NY are located. If it was me I'd have no shame in admitting I ripped blockbuster off.

I'm pretty sure all blockbusters in the country are linked. I can use my card at any blockbuster. Unlike Hollywood video where each store is isolated.

[quote name='Indiana']I'm pretty sure all blockbusters in the country are linked. I can use my card at any blockbuster. Unlike Hollywood video where each store is isolated.[/quote]

Linked as far as membership, yes, but like if you have credit on your account at one store it's not seen at the other stores. I don't think the stores share rental history, know what you have out, etc. Just basic information.

Just tell him it should be no problem. This works for you in either way

1) It is no problem. He gets to make your trades for you like you want.

2) It is actually a problem. He gets cuffed and stuffed, spends the night in jail. Not so good for him, but think of what an interesting story he'll have for you.

Seriously though, if they somehow do know about his fees he'd either be able to just pay them and open the account or if he doesn't want to do that claim there must be some mistake and angrily leave the store.

theres no way the bb system keeps track of outstanding movies from 7+ years ago. crazy talk- thats longer than tax records need to be held, or lawyers need to keep the files for closed cases.

But more soberingly, there is a good chance bb contacted a collection agency to pursue the matter, so they might have sent notice to your friend (whose situation sounds like he would not have known/cared if such notice arrived).

In which case there might be mention on his credit score of such outstanding debt- and this would suck far more than any fees imposed by bb. Credit scores are like the imaginary "permanent records" from school in that they really are permament and they really do keep track of a lot of issues.

[quote name='vherub']theres no way the bb system keeps track of outstanding movies from 7+ years ago. crazy talk- thats longer than tax records need to be held, or lawyers need to keep the files for closed cases.

But more soberingly, there is a good chance bb contacted a collection agency to pursue the matter, so they might have sent notice to your friend (whose situation sounds like he would not have known/cared if such notice arrived).

In which case there might be mention on his credit score of such outstanding debt- and this would suck far more than any fees imposed by bb. Credit scores are like the imaginary "permanent records" from school in that they really are permament and they really do keep track of a lot of issues.[/quote]

Heheh, not caring if he got sent that would probably have been accurate at that time. I did ask him about a collection agency and he said he doesn't recall ever getting anything on his credit from blockbuster, or if he did he doesn't recall paying it, and it's not on any of his credit reports. Like I said this was a long time ago and he doesn't owe anyone anything now, he would gladly pay for some old movie debts if asked.

It was about 3 years or so ago and they started linking all the stores so most likely it being 7 years its at that store or simply gone now.

bread's done
Back