Question(s) for CAG members in Florida...

mvp828

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
So... Here's the scoop, I am currently in my second year of college up here in Michigan. I am thinking about going to the West Palm Beach location of my university this coming winter. I was just hoping to talk to some fellow CAGs about the area so I can find out a little bit about it. I have started to look into places to live and rent, since I haven't decided whether or not to live on campus or not.

I am going to just post different questions as they come to me throughout the next couple months before I make my final decision to go down there. All input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

1. How is the West Palm Beach area? (Specifically is it a nicer area and what-not?)

2. Is it a pretty good college town, or at least a fair amount of people 18-24? (FAU is also in the vicinity right?)

3. How is the cost of living down there? (Affordable for a college student, and also job opportunities for college students?)

West Palm Beach is... well, it's hard to say how it'd be for college. See, there's some really ghetto parts there... it's not Compton, but it's pretty depressed. But at the same time, there's some fucking nice, upscale areas where rich folks play golf and trade stocks by the pool. So it depends on where the school is. Overall, I think the city's really nice and there's a shitton of stuff to do there, so it's probably a good place to live while you're at school.

Alright Alright, I used to live just up the street from Northwood. And When i was a college student I had some friends that lived on campus. Seems to be a nice school. The area is just fine, the campus (kinda small) is nestled between a major road (Military Trail) and a primarily quiet rd (Village blvd), and you have another major road just to the south (Okeechobee Blvd) - Shopping, restaurants, etc. This also leads you West to the downtown area where you will be getting drunk and hooking up with all the hot college chicks via bars and nightclubs. :)

West Palm Beach is great, just like any other area, you are going to have some impoverished areas, affluent, suburban, and middle class.

Your about 30 miles north of FAU, which is located in Boca Raton. But unlike other "College towns" Neither place is what i would classify as a College town, (like Gainesville, or Tallahassee). West Palm is a booming place, and rivals Miami and Tampa as ALMOST a metropolitan area.

Good mix of people, good job opportunities, and so on. Close to several different beaches.

Thats all i can think to say right now, but if you want any other info, gimmie a holler.

As far as rental places, Village Blvd - has a TON of apartments and condos for rent. I'm thinking the average for rental places is around $1000-$1200. But I could be wrong and quite possibly could be cheaper, as the housing market took a hit, and there seems to be a crazy amount of property around.

If I were looking into renting, I would definitely take a look at apartments around that road, as it's close to campus, and is a pretty nice area, close to shopping, food and whatnot.

Damn... Thanks soliddragon, that was very helpful.

As for housing, I haven't decided whether or not to live on campus. I have looked around on Craigslist and it seems that a lot of people have some 1 bedroom places for about 500/600 or so. So I will just have to keep looking into it.

I will definitely hit you with a PM if I can think of any other questions.

As for it being not quite a "College Town", I think I could manage, seeing as where the sister campus is up here in Midland, MI doesn't have shit.

I went to high school in Boca, which is at the far northern end of broward county (south end of palm beach county).

I can tell you teh economic and housing troubles are hitting florida hard, but this has only increased renting prices since lots of hoomeowners are getting forclosed on and turning to renting.

There is a lot of stuff to do there, and like another poster said, there are some really really nice areas. The people for the most part are fake, diffident, and competitive. They suck, (even people who still live there will agree) but the weather/beach is nice.

bread's done
Back