question to those with a 80 gb backward compatable ps3

gymguy

CAG Veteran
Does your system get loud? After about 30 mins of watching a blu ray or gameing my fan gets pretty loud. Loud enough that i can hear it on silent parts of a movie. Is this commen. Do any of you have quiet ones? I was planning on sending it back to sony but they will send me a refurb and my system works perfect besides the loudness of the fans.Any one go through the refurb process? How was it? Was the system you recieved back in good shape? Thanks for helping guys?

I have a MGS 80 GB one, and sometimes it's loud, I've noticed. Not like a 360, but yeah mine gets loud too. Is this only normal for the 80 gigers? Damnit..

I got one from around the time MGS4 came out (not an MGS4 one though) from a buddy a while back. It gets a little loud, but no louder than my 360. I do have to turn my TV up a bit though during games that have more 'silence' in them though as it is loud enough to be a distraction.

mine isn't loud... i don't think. Last night i thought it was making noise, but then i realized it was my fridge.

If it gets too loud, you could always try to sound proof it, try surrounding it with pillows, or just cover the vents. :)

lol.
i have the one that was bundled with mgs4, and it gets loud, but its not too loud to distract me from the game. most of the time i dont even notice it.

Sounds about right, fans step up a notch when the system warms up. I have the MGS4 80gb and have a similar situation with games. You definitely hear it during quiet sections and not really during sections with sound unless you really listen for it. I have never played a Bluray on my system btw, not going to put stress on an irreplaceable system to do something non-interactive.

I read that the Motorstorm 80gbs can be defective and get extra loud.

Well i guess its normal than for the 80 gb ps3's. Sucks because my friends 40gb and 60 gb are totally silent. Fans never kick up. O well, thanks for the input guys. I was ready to send my unit to sony and try a refurb guess ill hang on to it. lol

my launch 60gb gets a bit loud from time to time. I figure better to have the fan kick in than for the system to overheat.

[quote name='gymguy']Well i guess its normal than for the 80 gb ps3's. Sucks because my friends 40gb and 60 gb are totally silent. Fans never kick up. O well, thanks for the input guys. I was ready to send my unit to sony and try a refurb guess ill hang on to it. lol[/quote]
the 40 and 60 gb (launch) ps3s had the cell processor running at 95 nm (i think) and the 80 gb and newer ps3s have the processor running at 65nm. so that means the older ones get hot faster, so the fan probably kick in more often compared to the newer versions.
Edit: im not sure why you cant hear their fans,probably the higher HDD make it hotter too.

i have the mgs4 bundle one and it does kick it up a notch from time to time but i only notice it when it first does it then i basically tune it out.

ii have the best 80GB PS3 i got the one motor strom bundle its not loud at all its silent

Yes my Motorstorm one gets REALLY loud and it's why I'm considering trading it for a non-BC 80GB, because I don't play PS2 games and I'd rather have a silent, cool system.

My Motorstorm PS3 is louder than my 360. No joke. I'm actually kind of worried.

I think it is all a matter of opinion actually. Tavohl is pretty spot on. The PS3s with backwards compatabiltity seem to run hotter/louder. Mine is a lil loud when the fan actually kicks it....but at that point I have the surround sound going so loud I don't notice.

Have a motorstorm one...and it gets loud after a while when playing and it depends on the game it seems of when it starts to get louder and of course gets hot...I can probably place it in a better ventilated area, but it seems to be fine, doesn't really bother me, its probably not as loud as my 360, that gets loud fast....

I have the MGS4 Bundled PS3 and its not very loud. I sit about two feet away from it (sits on my desk next to my monitor) and I can't hear it over the noise from my PC.

i guess i'm the bless one because the MS bundle its not loud at all

bread's done
Back