Questions about upgrading a PC and also about a laptop..

Staind204

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
I have a couple of questions about PCs and a laptop.

First off. I have an old Dell Dimension 4300. This only has a 250 Watt PS as far as I know. Currently it has a DVD Drive, CD Drive, Disk Drive, Nvida GEForce 3 video card, and 2 hard drives. I want to hook this video card up to it..

http://www.nowdirect.com/exec/partInfo/part_detail.tsb?prcpart=ANM100562

I can't seem to find out how many watts this card needs. I was thinking if I only hooked up 1 hard drive, dvd drive, and this card it might work. What do you think?

I also am thinking about buying a laptop capable of playing newer games. I know I will need a dedicated video card to do this. Would something like this work for playing games like Fallout 3?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220520

Thanks in advance!

I'm pretty sure that graphics card would work fine. Here is a page that says it uses under 20 watts overclocked on a full load. As far as that laptop goes it should run Fallout 3 just fine (probably not maximum settings but I'm guessing medium/high with a good frame rate).

Thanks for the reply. Got the video card and it works I unhooked the CD Drive and Disk Drive to be safe for the PSU though. I haven't tested it too much but seems to work fine so far. The only reason I got it was to enable dual monitor usage on my old PC.

Oh and on another note, know anywhere to get cheap 168 pin DDR memory for this Dell? I would like to upgrade to 1 GB (2 x 512) but I don't want to pay $50-$60 for it since I paid less than that for 4 GB of DDR2 for my newer computer..

That's a big problem with old ram. It costs a ton for what you get. I doubt you can find it for much under $50. Just looking at newegg the cheapest I could find it was $28 for 512 mb (found here).

Sadly, DrFoo is correct. Old RAM is very expensive. All my pc's now use DDR2 RAM. But a PC that just died on me used 184 pin DDR RAM. A 512 meg stick was as expensive as a 2 gig stick of DDR2!

bread's done
Back