Questions Regarding Trading in Items to Amazon

Monoxide1986

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Not sure if this has been covered before (I couldn't really find anything in a search) but I'm curious as to other peoples experiences with the Amazon Trade In Program.

I am looking to possibly trade in games, but also movies and books I have laying around my house I can't sell on CL (I'd prefer to get something out of them vs. sitting on my shelf collecting dust.

The primary questions I have are:

On average how long does it take Amazon to credit your account the trade in amount?

Every item I've looked at to possibly trade in has a "Up to" clause next to it, what are the chances of NOT getting that amount for the item (or if the item is in really good shape are you pretty much assured of getting that amount)?

I'm also curious to hear good experiences vs bad experiences using their trade in service.

Thanks in advance.

From my experiences with them, you usually get the money credited to your account within 2 business days. Any later and usually contacting Amazon CS will fix it.

As for conditions, they're picky about it. I've sent stuff in label "like new" and had it downgraded to "good". While most of the stuff I sent in as "good" was upgraded to "like new" and paid more. From my experiences, just sent it in as "good", expect to get that amount, but hope that they upgrade the condition.

I've traded in lots of games and a few books to Amazon. I usually receive credit within a day of them receiving it. All of my items were like new, and I have gotten that credit for it (never been downgraded.) They aren't very giving on DVDs though. I looked up a couple and was impressed with the value, but turns out that value is for a sealed copy. Who trades in sealed copies of movies? Like new DVDs don't get crap for TIV.

Just read the descriptions of the different condition levels. Mostly they are pretty reasonable, and you should get full value, although the hardware ones can be a bit weird (what kind of pack rat has the original box for a 5 year old iPod?)

[quote name='gothamcentral79']If you click on the "trade in here" button it will tell you what the prices are for "new", "like new", good.[/QUOTE]

This helps tremendously. Thank you.

I don't know about anyone else, but my package always sits a day or 2 at the UPS facility near the receiving place (same Zip last time), but once it arrives to amazon normally i get credited the next day, however I've only sent in College text books

Not a bad service. Be sure to pack it nice because they are rough with packages - I sent in a 10 dollar game and the disc broke - and that's never happened to me in over 10 years of trading with other folks.

[quote name='camoor']Not a bad service. Be sure to pack it nice because they are rough with packages - I sent in a 10 dollar game and the disc broke - and that's never happened to me in over 10 years of trading with other folks.[/QUOTE]

Yes, sometimes they like to use a package fucker 6400 on your packages, sometimes on the outgoing ass well, however they tend to package very well, never had anything come in short of near mint though, and I've gotten so fubar'd boxes before hand

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Pyloric'] They aren't very giving on DVDs though. I looked up a couple and was impressed with the value, but turns out that value is for a sealed copy. Who trades in sealed copies of movies? Like new DVDs don't get crap for TIV.[/QUOTE]

Only a moron would sell sealed DVDs to them(especially rare OOP ones), as it seems they never give people the sealed price from the complaints I've seen. It's annoyed me since they added the sealed option earlier this year, because it's always the sealed price that they quote on the product page.

The crappy TIVs for opened DVDs is the problem I've had lately too. Tried earlier this week to check to see how much I could get for some anime DVDs. They were only going to give around $.20-$.25 for each, while they would flip them for $7-$8 each(since that's what they were selling at the time for the lowest price). At those prices, it's better just to leave them boxed up in the closet than send them in.

I have noticed that it seems like the closer to christmas it is, the better TIVs that they give. Stuff that might net you only $1 in the summer could be giving a $31 TIV sometime in October/November.

[quote name='tangytangerine']-snip-
I have noticed that it seems like the closer to christmas it is, the better TIVs that they give. Stuff that might net you only $1 in the summer could be giving a $31 TIV sometime in October/November.[/QUOTE]

Supply and demand, you tend to get the most for textbooks near the start of a semester for the supply dwindles as people are ordering their books.

Took a class over the summer, net cost of using said book was $12 or so

bread's done
Back