Quick/Easy to Prepare Snack Ideas? (Preferably Healthy)

willardhaven

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
Anybody have any interesting or favorite snack ideas?

Nothing complicated, I'm just a bit hungry and desire a bit more variety in my diet.

Thanks.

Besides fresh fruit, if you're talking healthy, trail mix is usually good with a just a bit of sugar. It's essentially protein. If you like tuna, a quick 30 cent can of tuna on whole grain wheat bread and a touch (I stress this, a touch) of mayo, half a teaspoon of soy sauce, & a dash of minced garlic. Quite tasty (though your breath WILL suffer so be sure to pack breath mints). If you like turkey, get some deli-style slices & shredded sharp cheddar on top of honey whole grain. I like shredded vs. sliced as the volume of cheese (if you don't overdo it) will be less than a slice but you'll still have a wide distribution of cheese so that the taste remains about the same. Lastly, plain old chocolate milk (preferably skim). It's sweet and it's milk. Can't ask for a tastier treat than that.

Tuna and salsa combine surprisingly well and is pretty healthy. Easy to make, too.

[quote name='Maklershed']Someone recommended this to me here on cag .. tobasco flavored pickle spears. They're excellent and only 5 calories.[/QUOTE]
They sound salty.

[quote name='jaykrue']Best out-of-context quote evah!:lol:[/QUOTE]
Come on, not even close.

I like oatmeal: it's cheap and you can add a lot of different things.

For my college budget, I just have a container of quick oats, some dry milk, raisins, and a small container of cinnamon sugar. I just add them together in the microwave with some water and it's cheap, tasty, and quick. :D

[quote name='keyshawn']I like oatmeal: it's cheap and can add a lot of different things.

For my college budget, I just have a container of quick oats, some dry milk, raisins, and a small container of cinnamon sugar. I just add them together in the microwave with some water and it's a nutritious, cheap, and tasty snack.[/QUOTE]
Oatmeal for me, too. I tend to mix [whole berry] cranberry sauce in, but a milk/banana/vanilla mash is also excellently awesome.

[quote name='Demolition Man']Celery and peanut butter. :D[/quote]

Yep. Add raisins and you have ants on a log. A fave of mine as a kid.

Spinach dip on Ritz crackers is pretty good too.

Baked corn chips and salsa would be fairly healthy I would think.

Here's a good snack:

quakeroatsquares.jpg

They're realy good, snackable, and kind of healthy.

For the oatmeal fans - give steel cut oats a try. They take a little (okay a LOT) longer than Quaker quick or 5 minute oats but they are 10x better IMO. They retain a bit of chew.

Quick Oats would definitely qualify for quick and easy, but if you have a little extra time Steel Cut are still pretty easy, just not quick. :mrgreen: You can make them in a crock pot overnight, but it's not as good as making them on the stove top.

Just had a bowl on Friday with some raisins, a little cream, and a little honey. :drool:

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Pickled okra is REALLY good. Much more crisp than regualr pickles.[/QUOTE]
I'm a fan of okra, but I don't think I could do pickled okra.

OP, get some navel oranges at your local supermarket. They must be in season or something b/c they've been really good lately.

[quote name='MadChedar0']I'm a fan of okra, but I don't think I could do pickled okra.

[/quote]

I'm serious man, give it a try sometime. It tastes like a regular pickle except it is much more crisp IMO. The texture of the okra when pickled is nice. I don't care for fried okra (my father absolutely LOVES it though).

[quote name='2poor']Grits. It's made out of corn so I would think they would be healthy.

photo_grits.jpg
[/quote]

Man, I love grits. Good stuff.

[quote name='jaykrue']If you like tuna, a quick 30 cent can of tuna on whole grain wheat bread and a touch (I stress this, a touch) of mayo, half a teaspoon of soy sauce, & a dash of minced garlic. Quite tasty (though your breath WILL suffer so be sure to pack breath mints).[/QUOTE]

Thumbs up from me! I actually tried this for lunch yesterday, and it came out great. Trader Joe's sells a wasabi mayonnaise that worked great in this, and a little dab goes a long way. The only thing I did differently was add chopped celery, and a bit of pepper and toasted the bread. Good call! =D

Tuna is the all time snack for me. I know Jay said a touch of mayo...but I try to avoid mayo at all costs (I'm a health person myself) so I actually use a flavored mustard or relish. I know, it sounds bad, but I think it taste great!

Other good quick snacks

- Fresh Fruits
- Cottage Cheese (Did I spell this right?)
- Egg Whites
- Lil bowl of cereal w/ skim milk.

[quote name='MadChedar0']OP, get some navel oranges at your local supermarket. They must be in season or something b/c they've been really good lately.[/QUOTE]

I second this. They're fucking fantastic right now.

Carrots and yellow mustard. Yellow mustard has 0 calories.

rice cakes (or flavored rice cakes).

[quote name='2poor']Grits. It's made out of corn so I would think they would be healthy.

photo_grits.jpg
[/quote]

I've never seen Grits in my life. Grits are one of those things that I had always heard about and knew was probably real. But I also wasn't certain if it was just a joke I didn't fully get, or just a food really poor people ate a century ago but no longer did.

Gruel is the other one I've never seen, is that a real food to?

[quote name='alonzomourning23']Carrots and yellow mustard. Yellow mustard has 0 calories.

I've never seen Grits in my life. Grits are one of those things that I had always heard about and knew was probably real. But I also wasn't certain if it was just a joke I didn't fully get, or just a food really poor people ate a century ago but no longer did.

Gruel is the other one I've never seen, is that a real food to?[/QUOTE]

Yeah. Gruel is very poorly made rice porridge. You should have some grits. They're hella good. It's just coarse corn meal.

Fruit with nonfat Cool Whip topping
Sometimes when I'm in the mood for something sweet, I cut up half of a banana, add 1/4 - 1/3 cup of nonfat vanilla frozen yogurt, add one or two tablespoons of nonfat cool whip topping and a tablespoon of nonfat hershey's chocolate syrup and then I have myself something pretty close to a sundae.

How about hot air popped popcorn? You can also stick it in the microwave, not as fluffy, but still essentially the same. As long as you don't throw butter or salt on it it's healthy. Also makes a large amount so it lasts for a while.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Pickled okra is REALLY good. Much more crisp than regualr pickles.[/QUOTE]

Your post inspired me to go to my fridge and open up a fresh jar of pickled okra. You deserve recognition.

[quote name='alonzomourning23']I've never seen Grits in my life. Grits are one of those things that I had always heard about and knew was probably real. But I also wasn't certain if it was just a joke I didn't fully get, or just a food really poor people ate a century ago but no longer did. [/quote]

I think it was My Cousin Vinny when Vinny asked, "What is a grit?" :lol:

http://www.wavlist.com/movies/061/index.htmlhttp://www.wavlist.com/movies/061/mcv-grits.wav (LEFT-the wav file about grits, lol.)

It's a popular food in the south. My dad was able to still by some when we lived in North Dakota though.

It even has a dedicated website.

http://www.grits.com/

[quote name='2poor']After making that post about grits I wish I had some right about now.[/quote]

I hope I have some left for breakfast this morning. :drool:

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']Your post inspired me to go to my fridge and open up a fresh jar of pickled okra. You deserve recognition.[/quote]

Yes! Another pickled okra fan! :cool:

Just had some grits with butter and pancake syrup. Probably not the healthy solution you were looking for, but awesome nonetheless so I decided to share :D

[quote name='alonzomourning23']Carrots and yellow mustard. Yellow mustard has 0 calories.

Gruel is the other one I've never seen, is that a real food to?[/QUOTE]

They're not very easy to find in the Northeast. I've had grits maybe twice and they were pretty good though. They have a different texture than something like oatmeal but taste fine. They probably have them at your local grocery store but you'll have to look hard to find it.

these two suggestions take a little prep - nothing too major though

(1) Healthy Garlic Spread
This takes a little bit of time, but very little work; really easy, healthy and delicious. Take a bulb (whole thing) of garlic.. chop the bottom 1/4" off with a sharp knife. drizzle a little tiny bit of olive oil on (don't drown it) and throw some basil all over it. wrap it in aluminum foil and leave a little vent on the top.

put it in the oven, or ideally, the toaster oven, as it uses less energy. put it at about 200 degrees or so and let it cook for about 40 minutes. when it comes out let it cool down. it should come apart into little cloves which are basically little squeezable tubes of a very rich tasting garlic spread that you can put on crackers or a good chunk of crusty french bread. you'll think there is butter in it, very rich, but it's very very low cal and has the health benefits of garlic, obviously. you could keep this in the fridge for a few days (though it might smell it up a bit..)

if you want to really treat yourself spread this stuff all over your cut up bread and then pour, into a shallow plate, like the restaurants do, a little puddle of extra virgin olive oil and a little balsamic vinegar. crack some pepper in that, dash of salt and if you have some fresh basil throw some minced in there ... so good... dip your garli'cked bread in that. very tasty.

(2) Healthy Summer Pasta Salad w Tomatoes

buy a bunch of cherry tomatoes.. organic if you can.. make sure they are ripe and sweet. cut them all in half. boil up some pasta that you like. again plate of olive oil... mince (as small as you can get) a clove or two of RAW garlic and let it sit in the oil. don't use too much as you are using this raw, and it's a different and strong taste! chop up a lot of fresh basil and put this on the plate as well. now put all of the cherry tomatoes, cut side down, in the oil and push gently on the top of each one (creates a little suction and absorbs. when your pasta is ready let it cool off and throw the tomatoes in.. drizzle a little (be spare, but use good quality oil) more oil on it - this is generally a cold salad and ruling for summer time - but you certainly could eat it hot too. i like it cold. grate some parmesan or sprinkle some on to taste.

bread's done
Back